(Topic ID: 264030)

Question about how not to shock yourself?

By Gnrwarkfc

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinmike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CEB31F2F-E57C-4B5B-A193-C95D751BD4C0 (resized).jpeg
    2ceccb94d5c9fd33a3d92d85e0de4b78 (resized).jpg
    BEEBB79A-6F68-40BE-B6C4-F69A04327DF5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 4 years ago

1) I echo all replies about unplugging it.

2) Like @Gotemwill mentioned, use the schematics. Trouble shooting paper is worth while. At worse you'll spend a few hours refreshing you mind about the components in question.

3) I echo @JudeRussell and handiness of wooden chopsticks and the like.

4) Know a hack job when you see it. We have the web and YouTube, so use them. See @rolf_martin_062 story on the Sky Lab thread.

5) This is implied in many responses but I'll spell it out... Take your time. The tortoise wins the race. I recommend a little journal about your pin or project. It's useful to know where your head is at or possible theories about the situation. Especially when real life interrupts you. And handy for general maintenance reminders or that strange hum or to keep an eye on that left pop bumper.

6) I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned so this is my real 2 cents... Bread boarding. Most engineers use it for prototyping but its useful for trouble shooting. Rig up a piece of ply with the offending components and test/tweak outside the rats nest. A good switching power supply is useful. Coils rated for 50vdc will still energize with 5vdc albeit with delay and much less vigor. Depends on what you're trouble shooting, timing issue are probably best left on the play field. Take pictures/movies and toe tag everything during the process. Don't trust sticky notes or your memory.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider redick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-how-not-to-shock-yourself?tu=redick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.