(Topic ID: 271251)

Question about game ROM sizes (Rollergames)

By Phantasize

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi Everyone

I made a couple of new ROMs yesterday for a friend of mine, who wanted english language in his Rollergames instead of German. I decided to burn the LA2 roms for him. The size of each ROM file is 32kb, which as i understand it, fits a 27256 eprom. But the only eproms i had was W27c512, which as i understand it, is 64kb roms.

So i doubled the files (via something like: copy /b 32kb.u26 + 32kb.u26 64kb.u26) and burned the ROMS. No problems at all so far.
However, my friend is telling me that it doesn't work with the new ROMs i burned for him. He could have installed them wrong, but if he didn't, it could be something else. I am going to check it out today or tomorrow.

But it made me wonder: Does the Rollergames CPU board support the bigger ROM size? I would think that it does, as something like LEONs System 11 diagnostics ROM requires a 27512 chip. But perhaps some sort of jumper settings need to be made?

Does anybody have any info on this?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

But it made me wonder: Does the Rollergames CPU board support the bigger ROM size? I would think that it does, as something like LEONs System 11 diagnostics ROM requires a 27512 chip. But perhaps some sort of jumper settings need to be made?

They support the 256 roms, which is essentially what you're installing when you doubled up the roms. The CPU board doesn't know what size rom is installed it just knows where to access data and address lines. Since the A15 is the extra line on the 512 chip, it's going to respond to whatever that pin (pin 1) is connected to on the board.... which won't matter if it's high or low because you doubled up the roms.

As long as you're sure you doubled up the rom with copy /b u26 + u26, and not u26+u27, and with the B that should be ok.

Leon's diagnostics rom doesn't require a 512 that was just for convenience so it would work in all boards regardless of what they are jumpered for (early system 11 games could use as small as a 2764). The code would actually fit in a 2716 the diagnostics roms are really short programs.

#3 3 years ago

Thank you so much for clarifying that. It sounds as if i should be ok with 27512 eproms, without changing any jumpers, as long as i double them the correct way. I was in doubt, as i read somewhere that the original Rollergames ROMS were 27128 in u26 (16kb) and a 27256 in u27 (32kb).

So i guess, as the files i downloaded were both 32kb, that the code for u26 was already doubled. And then i had to double both of them again to get them to fit a 27512 (64kb).

I'll go see him in a couple of hours, and if i cant make it work, I'll try doubling the original downloadagain, taking extra care using the correct syntax, before burning a new set. I'm pretty sure i used the exact same syntax that you are describing, and of course adding u26+u26 and after that u27+u27.

And if the above fails, im pretty sure a saw another download on IPDB where the u26 was actually 16kb, and u27 was 32kb. I could try downloading that set, and then quadroupling u26 to fit on my 27512, and doubling u27 to fit on a 27512.

#4 3 years ago

Yes, U26 is already doubled up in the IPDB set and I just verified that each half is exactly the same, so doubling up the doubled up image should be fine.

I've stuck 2x27512's in a pinbot with the correct doubling/quadrupling and it was fine. I'm working on making an adapter right now to pop into U26/U27 to enable a single 512 to replace both chips since I burn a lot of chips for these games and it's far more convenient for me to use the eeprom 512's to do so instead of discrete eproms (I have almost no 256's left so I've been doubling those up for a while onto 512's)

#5 3 years ago

Sounds like a good plan

I just went by my friends house, and the eproms were fine. He just didn't mount them properly in the sockets, so one side of u27 practically had no contact at all. Once seated correctly, everything worked like a charm.

Thank you for helping out

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-game-rom-sizes-rollergames and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.