Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Millermatic-Mig-Welder-W.jpg
    3-378.jpg
    4.jpg
    2-944.jpg
    1-401.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I have a cople of ball scoops where the spot welds are broke. This leaves the ramp loose and away from the carrier.

I know a pernament fix is to take it to someone whom does Stainless welding (and re-tack it). Last time i did this it ran me $100, and I dont feel like going that route again...

So are there other options that work? I was thinking JB Weld, but i just dont see it holding. Would an expoy possibly work.

Any ideas?

#2 9 years ago

Find someone to tig weld it cheaper.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

You can wire feed weld stainless, but the spot weld can rust. When you are done welding, buff the weld so its shines and spray with some clear just on the weld.

#4 9 years ago

Figures.. No other solution but to weld...

#5 9 years ago

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/spot-welders.html

For $140 after coupon, you could just own a spot welder.

#6 9 years ago

If it's a game that Kerry makes a replacement scoop for, I typically go that route.

#7 9 years ago

I bought a new scoop for my RBION that was fully welded. A better idea, I think. So far, so good.

#8 9 years ago

Find a different welding shop. The one I go to charges me $20 for pretty much anything ramp or scoop related. Occasionally if I bring in 3 or more things it might be $25-30.

2 months later
    #9 9 years ago

Everyone out here want's crazy money.....or wont touch it.

Anyone have a contact in the Houston Area? Or a pinsider whom does this?

#10 9 years ago

I wonder if JB weld would work, pretty strong stuff. And very cheap.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/spot-welders.html
    For $140 after coupon, you could just own a spot welder.

Vid do you have any experience pls with this variation spot welder for connection to arc welder:

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/spot-welders/spot-weld-gun-98759.html

#12 9 years ago

If you send it in a self address box with return postage I will weld it for you.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

If you send it in a self address box with return postage I will weld it for you.

An incredibly helpful gesture Grumpy.

#14 9 years ago

Its no big, ten minutes to weld and drop in mail box.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Everyone out here want's crazy money.....or wont touch it.

Welders in Houston area are in HUGE demand so I'll back this statement up. If you are a welder, pipefitter, or crane operator, we have jobs for you in Texas.

Hope you find a local hobbyist. Have you tried the Houston area Facebook page?

#16 9 years ago

I'd take grumpy up on the offer and drop a PBL gift card in the box for him too.

I had the same experience as you looking for a local welder. They all want $100+ just to spend 5 minutes welding.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

I have a cople of ball scoops where the spot welds are broke. This leaves the ramp loose and away from the carrier.
    I know a pernament fix is to take it to someone whom does Stainless welding (and re-tack it). Last time i did this it ran me $100, and I dont feel like going that route again...
    So are there other options that work? I was thinking JB Weld, but i just dont see it holding. Would an expoy possibly work.
    Any ideas?

100 dollars?!? Man found an old retired ex-airforce mechanic in a seedy part of town who has never charged more than 20. First time he did it for free just because it was such an oddball request. (Brazing gear back on for DW minipf gearbox)

#18 9 years ago

About 14 years ago (shortly after I started collecting) I decided I wanted to learn to weld. I didn't even know there were so many different weld types (arc, spot, MIG, TIG, etc.) but it seemed MIG was probably more useful.

Bought a cheapy 120V Lincoln wire feed MIG welder, goggles and gloves. I signed up and took a welding class at the local Vo-tech school.

I'll tell you it has proven very useful in pinball ramp, wireform and general metal repairs (even our mailbox). Probably in retrospect TIG would have been the better route for pinball repairs, the MIG when dialed down, does a great job for the repairs.

I look at getting a welder like buying a tap and die set. Something that you'll rarely use, but when you do need it, invaluable.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

About 14 years ago (shortly after I started collecting) I decided I wanted to learn to weld. I didn't even know there were so many different weld types (arc, spot, MIG, TIG, etc.) but it seemed MIG was probably more useful.

Bought a cheapy 120V Lincoln wire feed MIG welder, goggles and gloves. I signed up and took a welding class at the local Vo-tech school.

I'll tell you it has proven very useful in pinball ramp, wireform and general metal repairs (even our mailbox). Probably in retrospect TIG would have been the better route for pinball repairs, the MIG when dialed down, does a great job for the repairs.

I look at getting a welder like buying a tap and die set. Something that you'll rarely use, but when you do need it, invaluable.

This pretty much mirrors my welding experience. I needed to weld for a big project I was working on in 2003, so I went and bought a flux core MIG and took some classes. My welds still look like a 3 year old got loose with the glue, but they hold.

I've never tried TIG, but I'd love to learn to be able to do stainless steel spot repairs.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from changingGears:

First time he did it for free just because it was such an oddball request.

Same experience here. I used to be a welder so I knew exactly what it'd take to properly fix the scoops I had so I took it to a custom exhaust shop since I knew they dealt with stainless and probably TIG welded 99% of their stuff. I showed it to the guy and explained what the material was and what needed to be done(TIG'd or spot). He didn't really know what to charge so the first one was free. When I brought in the second one, I told him to charge me $20 and he was happy to take it. He probably spent a total of 15 minutes working on my scoops.

One thing I did to ensure things were welded in the right places with the pieces properly aligned was to get it together in the right spots(tab A into slot B kind of stuff) and then I zip-tied it together as tight as possible. I also took the time to explain how those areas went together originally. I'm sure it helped him understand what he needed to do.

I also told him not to worry about cleaning them up afterwards since I would be regraining them anyway. He went ahead and polished up the outsides anyway. I just had to regrain the areas where the ball goes and reinstall them.

#21 9 years ago

I use TIG as MIG would burn holes.

Using clamps for perfect alignment and adding either bracing or longer beads to reinforce the areas.

On many assemblies or brackets cracks are formed starting at the sharpened edges (Sides) of the assemblies at the bends. If the edges at the bends are filed smooth you reduce the cracks which form first as tears at the sharpened edges.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This pretty much mirrors my welding experience. I needed to weld for a big project I was working on in 2003, so I went and bought a flux core MIG and took some classes. My welds still look like a 3 year old got loose with the glue, but they hold.
    I've never tried TIG, but I'd love to learn to be able to do stainless steel spot repairs.

When using flux core wire it always looks like that, if you get a argon/co2 bottle and ditch the flux core you will be amazed at the welds you can do, I have been welding for 20 yrs as a hobby and always had a mig welder with gas, and recently tried welding at a friends house where he had flux core and it came out looking horrible but it did hold.

#23 9 years ago

if theres room to drill through the original spotwelds you could maybe pop rivet or bolt, or use self tapping screws, trimming away what may protrude too far.

#24 9 years ago

It just so happens that I had a weld job come up as can be seen in my todays post of (What failed at Modern) the TZ bracket that has common break issues. I just finished welding it up and you can see where I increased the weld bead for strength. I also added a metal stop to keep the flow of the weld from seeping to deep into the ball channel while doing the weld process.

1-401.jpg1-401.jpg 2-944.jpg2-944.jpg 3-378.jpg3-378.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg
    #25 9 years ago

If you guys ever want to learn to weld, the cheapest and easiest thing is to just find an old, White Face Millermatic MIG.

They are super cheap ($400?) and can get you welding in 10 minutes, first time.

And while other welding rigs require $500 circuit boards swaps to repair them, the WF Millermatics are circuit board free. When a diode dies, you find it with your meter, swap it out and start welding again in 10 minutes.

They can weld thin sheet metal up to 1/2" material, so unless you guys start welding I-beams or something crazy, it will probably handle any job you ever have.

If you have the occasional need for fancy TIG "stack o'dimes" welds, best to take those to your local backyard welder - easy to find on the bulletin board at any auto parts shop.

Millermatic-Mig-Welder-W.jpgMillermatic-Mig-Welder-W.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-fixing-spot-welds-on-scoops and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.