(Topic ID: 329485)

Question About Connectors!

By Pinball-DOOD

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

knock2 (resized).jpg
    knock1 (resized).jpg
    0DDE8A4B-B7EB-4253-985E-4EF17535BEBD (resized).jpeg
    r3 (resized).jpg
    wmsdisplayschematic.pdf (PDF preview)
    wmsdisplayfront.pdf (PDF preview)
    97ED15FB-AB0E-4778-9381-15AFA76A3F0A.jpeg
    8EC4A514-124D-4BA3-8469-19D444B2D5A8 (resized).jpeg
    B6658256-3179-4D8C-B3BA-0EF32E105E91.jpeg
    05A21E7F-9EB6-48FB-B4D0-FF5FFFBC94D6 (resized).jpeg
    299D45EA-EB26-41FF-9385-E4FBB2AA0113 (resized).jpeg
    C52B53CC-1317-404D-9DAD-C2EBD5A19DA5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KenH.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 1 year ago

Looking at your picture, it looks like your 'c' segment is out in displays 1,2 and MASTER. If you look at the first schematic closely where it says 'SEGMENT DRIVE FOR MASTER PLAYER 1 AND 2, the first three different-colored resistors are for keep alive, so not part of the problem. Segment 'c' is going thru resistor R3 but its hard to read because they wrote over it. If you look at the 2nd schematic, you can find segment c on the right of IC6. Follow that line straight through the right side of IC9, and it confirms that segment c is in line with R3. So replace R3 with 10K 1/2 watt.
    r3 (resized).jpgr3 (resized).jpg
    If that doesn't solve the issue, anything in that chain can be bad. IC6, IC9, the glass, or the signals from the MPU.

If you need to look up resistor color codes, just use one of the online calculators like this:
    https://resistorcolorcodecalc.com/

wmsdisplayfront.pdfwmsdisplayfront.pdfwmsdisplayschematic.pdfwmsdisplayschematic.pdf
    #30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

maybe I cracked some solder joints?

That is very common. Even if not the problem, it takes 5 minutes to reflow them and you don't have to worry about them again.

If you want to pinpoint the exact connector and pin driving the knocker, you can grab the schematics from here and see if you can find it.
    https://www.ipdb.org/files/856/Williams_1980_Firepower_Schematics_paginated_from_manual_dated_March_1980.pdf

Does the plunger move freely with your finger?

1 week later
    #34 1 year ago

I am just having the issue where I am getting low power to the knocker coil.

Could the 40 pin connector be the culprit?

My advice is to first find where the knocker coil is connected in the schematic and concentrate on that. Otherwise you're just chasing your tail with other problems. If pushing on that 40 pin connector causes issues, it may be something you need to fix eventually -- but it can wait until you fix the knocker issue first, right? It is just my opinion, but I would work one issue at a time.

#39 1 year ago

Page 9 of manual, and page 24 of schematics....

knock1 (resized).jpgknock1 (resized).jpgknock2 (resized).jpgknock2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KenH.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-connectors?tu=KenH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.