(Topic ID: 293301)

Question about Code Update History

By haveaniceswim

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I’m guessing that the Mandolorian will be released with shit code, and it will take Stern a year to get the code to final finished form, just like all their recent games. I was wondering...

Was it always like this? Did Bally/Williams release games with unfinished code and later update it? Were there TAF, TZ, AFM, MM code updates that made them the best games ever, or were they released with finished code?

Is Stern using customer feedback to decide what code updates are needed, or are the updates already known when the game is released, just not ready yet?

Just wondering...

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from haveaniceswim:

I’m guessing that the Mandolorian will be released with shit code, and it will take Stern a year to get the code to final finished form, just like all their recent games. I was wondering...
Was it always like this? Did Bally/Williams release games with unfinished code and later update it? Were there TAF, TZ, AFM, MM code updates that made them the best games ever, or were they released with finished code?
Is Stern using customer feedback to decide what code updates are needed, or are the updates already known when the game is released, just not ready yet?
Just wondering...

Happy with lz le's code.

And yes, look at williams games that got dropped. Champion pub is missing all sorts of fun things because it didnt sell.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Happy with lz le's code.
And yes, look at williams games that got dropped. Champion pub is missing all sorts of fun things because it didnt sell.

And Cactus Canyon's code was unfinished also.

But those were the exceptions. Almost all B/W games were "complete" when shipped. Yes, there were bug fixes that got released later, but in general the code was "finished" at release time.

In part because updating the software was not as simple as plugging in a USB drive. You needed to burn and install new ROMs, something that a lot of operators didn't want to deal with.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from haveaniceswim:

Just wondering...

Dwight has said in the past that he tries to release his games near 1.0 code and his last few have been that way. Look at Munsters. If you like it or not doesn't matter it was done at release even if that wasn't said until after release. TMNT got a bunch of updates for 6 months but it was at 1.0 at release as well. Generally I think Dwight is trying to reduce that year to make the game "good" situation.

It really depends on the coder though. They are all different.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-code-update-history and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.