3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jenk540i
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I searched for the answer to this in a few threads, but couldn't really find anything, so thought I'd post.
    Cliffy protectors are great, I have them on a few of my pins now.
    My question is this. Sometimes due to the way the cliffy is secured to the playfield, the front lip of the cliffy doesn't sit right flat against the playfield. This isn't a complaint against the product at all. I'm just curious if anyone has found a good way to get the cliffy to stay flat. Maybe a non-invasive adhesive? some low tack mylar?

#2 3 years ago

Almost always when I have this problem the issue is that I have tightened posts too hard further back on the same Cliffy, which in turn make it raise in the front. In a few cases I haven't been able to fix it though.

#3 3 years ago

I have used double sided clear tape and also used mylar over top.

I have many pins with Cliffy protectors. The only one I have trouble with is LAH left scoop. I put mylar over it.

Cliff is a great guy!

#4 3 years ago

I carefully bend it before installing to make sure the front lip is ever so slightly facing down, helps reduce the gap

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I carefully bend it before installing to make sure the front lip is ever so slightly facing down, helps reduce the gap

I do that as I'm forming them too but sometimes they can still flex up when installed. On nearly all of my semicircle protectors I use 3m adhesive tapes, as you know, but even that can give up its hold. They key to 3M tapes is making sure the surface is absolutely free of wax or silicone polishes and then using the included alcohol swab to wipe where the protector will go. Just as the alcohol flashes off peel the tape backing and press the protector down in place and rub down hard. The acrylic adhesive is alcohol and pressure activated. The white sheet from 3M says to allow a 24 hour cure but not a one of us has patience for that
    Some, like the mag rings on metallica or the kickouts on WCS94 are particularly hard on my stainless protectors even though installed on perfectly new and flat playfields. The science is simple. As the ball rolls over the same spot the metal protector gets compressed and eventually the molecules can compress no more and they start pushing outwards. This causes warping and the 3M adhesive can't hold against that pressure. This lead me to search for a better material and carbon fiber is it. Due to ts weave structure it cannot compress and cannot warp. However its not suitable or practical in all applications.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends here on Pinside- I'm grateful for the friendships!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends here on Pinside- I'm grateful for the friendships!

And we are grateful for all that you do to help protect our pins. And for your great communication. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Oscar

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-cliffy-protectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.