5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

How many out there are using this MPU, produced by Tom Callahan? What are your thoughts on the board, and were there any known issues, specifically compatibility issues with older boards? Any experienced or known issues with newer boards that have been developed by companies such as Alltek and mypinballs?

The reason I ask is that I have absolutely no specs for the board I purchased in 2007, and if I did have them they were lost when we moved in that same year.

I can find nothing online, and I am under the impression that Tom Callahan long ago retired and left the public square. I remember talking to him on the phone, and discussing his board at the time I decided to order it. At the time, it was the only viable option I had to bring my game back to life as the original A4 was pretty shot up and abused.

Just trying to gather as much info on a board that I am using in my restored Fireball II machine and using that info to guide my decision as to whether it might be time to upgrade to the Alltek MPU.

Thanks in advance. Finding information and/or parts, at least at times it seems so, is like pulling teeth.

#2 5 years ago

Tom's MPU board was fine and could mostly be serviced with the original schematics. Just a few things different like used a 6802 instead of 6800. Crystal clock circuit. Simtek based NVRAM. Lots of resistor networks instead of discreet.

If you are not having any trouble with it i wouldnt see any reason to preemptively replace it.

#3 5 years ago

I don't want to replace it, as it has been a good board for me, but it may be having compatibility issues with a newer S&T board. It seems to get confused (the game) at certain points about which sounds to make, while on the original S&T all game sounds are functioning perfectly, and properly.

Is there any way to clear the memory on this MPU? I guess I can go to the schematics, but while I am getting better at reading those, reading a schematic is not my strong suit.

Both boards boot-up properly and correctly. All flashes in place and good to go. I have reworked all of the connectors in the backbox, but I am making the assumption that if the issue were tied to connectors, I would see this issue with both boards.

I keep thinking of that line from Cool Hand Luke

What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlbintn:

I don't want to replace it, as it has been a good board for me, but it may be having compatibility issues with a newer S&T board. It seems to get confused (the game) at certain points about which sounds to make, while on the original S&T all game sounds are functioning perfectly, and properly.
    Is there any way to clear the memory on this MPU? I guess I can go to the schematics, but while I am getting better at reading those, reading a schematic is not my strong suit.
    Both boards boot-up properly and correctly. All flashes in place and good to go. I have reworked all of the connectors in the backbox, but I am making the assumption that if the issue were tied to connectors, I would see this issue with both boards.
    I keep thinking of that line from Cool Hand Luke
    What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

Have to clear audits manually.

Set audits past #15 to '03' for the sound board.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks, I'll try that.

Appreciate the help

#6 5 years ago

Here's an archive of his site from January of this year:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180124161502/http://www.pin-logic.com:80/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-callahan-mpu-s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.