Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jive
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Recently was able to score a Bally Rapid Fire for $30. Game is in great shape cosmetically, and seems to play fine except for one problem. When I bought it, the ball lift mech would not work. Tonight I finally got a chance to look into it, and the transistor on the ball sensor board was just barely hanging on. All three legs had cracked solder joints, so I re-soldered them in place. Installed it back into the game, and the ball lift came to life. Played about 4 games or so, and then the lift quit again. The ball wheel seemed to be stuck, so I gently rocked it back and forth, and freed it. Right after I did that, it filled the shooter tray with balls, but would not stop, and overflowed the tray. That's my problem now, the feeder motor will not stop. I'm trying to get an idea as to what causes the motor to stop. I know it uses optical sensors to detect the balls, and it looks as though there is some switch of some sort on the feeder motor, but I don't know really if that stops the motor or what. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

May have figured this one out. Looking at the sensor board, it appears I had soldered the triac in upside down. I removed it, and installed it the right way, but still have the same problem. I tried to check the triac like I would a normal transistor, but I am getting no reading when putting the red lead to the center leg, and the black lead to either outside legs. I assume this is the correct way to check it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 199.95
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-bally-rapid-fire-ball-lift-mech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.