Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by toddsolus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a TFTC in that is missing the left ramp entrance bracket and thus the switch. Obviously the game will play without it but my question is what will it effect as far as game progression and rules. I'm just not that familiar with TFTC to know how it will affect it.

Best I can tell it really is just for a sound effect. The second switch seems be the ramp made switch and seems to be all that matters as far as game play. Sound correct?

Thanks,
Marc

#2 6 years ago

Do you hear the Cryptkeeper cackling when the ball enters the ramp? Does he cackle if the ball rolls out of the ramp from not being able to make it all the way up?

#3 6 years ago

No annoying laugh. Is that the only purpose of the ramp entrance switches?

#6 6 years ago

The ramp tracks the inserts right in front of the entrance. I can't remember them specifically, but it does more than just the cackling sound.

You can replace the gate switch bracket by using one from POTC. You would need to drill a hole on the top to mount the light (and remove the hex spacers) and the POTC bracket will work in its place.

It's a good alternative since the TFTC ramp entrance gate switch bracket is out of production.

I almost forgot - the most obvious need for a working ramp switch is to register the jackpot shot during multiball!

Here is a link to the closest available replacement:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9949-00

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I almost forgot - the most obvious need for a working ramp switch is to register the jackpot shot during multiball!

That's what I was thinking as well. Left ramp is jackpot, and when hit moves jackpot to right ramp for double jackpot.

#8 6 years ago

Sorry guys, I disagree.

I just took the glass off my TFTC to be 100% safe on this.

Initiated multiball, then I took the ball in hand and dumped it directly on the left habit trail, by passing the lamp entrance entirely. Jackpot was initiated and scored without going up the ramp at all.

All that switch does is activate the Cryptkeeper's cackle. It serves no other purpose. The switch trips the Cryptkeeper's laugh whether the ball actually makes it to the habit trail or not. The roll-over switches within the habit trail(s) are what's responsible for jackpot and double jackpot.

OP, without that entrance ramp bracket, all that will happen is you will not hear the Cryptkeeper's cackle. Some would say your TFTC has actually been improved .

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

All that switch does is activate the Cryptkeeper's cackle. It serves no other purpose. The switch trips the Cryptkeeper's laugh whether the ball actually makes it to the habit trail or not. The roll-over switches within the habit trail(s) are what's responsible for jackpot and double jackpot.

Yes, you are correct, and I was wrong. The ramp entry switch does not affect the jackpot or the inserts. My mistake.

But the entry switch does a bit more than the cackle sound. Both ramp entry switches award some insignificant point value in addition to activating the cackle.

You never know, you could be battling somebody in a close match, and make a weak shot half way up the ramp, drain, and lose the match by 2000 points because the switch was missing and cheated you of some points... Hey, unlikely, but still...

#10 6 years ago

lols .

I have considered unhooking that switch. I am a massive fan of TFTC, but even for me the cackle can get a bit straining on the nerves .

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

lols .
I have considered unhooking that switch. I am a massive fan of TFTC, but even for me the cackle can get a bit straining on the nerves .

If you unhook that switch, the cryptkeeper still cackles plenty during multiball.

#12 6 years ago

The switch is for the Cryptkeeper to cackle as it goes up and possibly back down the ramp.

There's many other things that still make him cackle, but those ramps are the biggest culprit - ESPECIALLY if the ball goes up and back down the ramp - ugh (/)_-) ...

2 weeks later
#13 6 years ago

Maybe you guys just suck too much at the game ;-P. When you are running play the organ at 1 mil per switch your gonna want those ramp entrance switches activating.

#14 6 years ago

I don't think that scores unless you make it to the switch at the top of the ramp

Quoted from brad808:

Maybe you guys just suck too much at the game ;-P. When you are running play the organ at 1 mil per switch your gonna want those ramp entrance switches activating.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

I don't think that scores unless you make it to the switch at the top of the ramp

I just checked all 4 hurry up modes and they all register. Failed shots will count twice, once up the ramp once down the ramp. There is no need to get to the top on either ramp. By disabling those switches you will be missing out on that. Like I said too at potentially a million a pop that can add up.

#16 6 years ago

interesting and good to know...I still scored 750,000,000 maybe I could score 800

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside