Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by BigAl56
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ClarkWGriswold.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I am inching ever closer to making my first pin purchase and although I think I have decided that Firepower will be the pin I buy first, there is a Vector for sale in my general area.

I realize that opinions on Vector vary much more than on Firepower, in general; however, the Vector pin intrigues me. The Vector that is for sale apparently has a ball trough switch issue.....it won’t serve up a ball. As a brand new guy to this I have a question. I suppose that issue could be BOTH a board issue and a mechanical issue with the trough switch itself, yes?

I was also wondering if trough switches are a plug and play item amongst most pins of the same era....or would you be locked in to finding a specific OEM switch for a 1982 Bally Vector?

#4 5 years ago

Fair enough. I am a little puzzled as to why the current owner hasn’t addressed what does not appear to be a major issue on what appears to be a pretty damn nice pin. Maybe he is more of a check-writer than a wrench-turner...like me. Thanks for the feedback. I really do like the look of that Vector.

#6 5 years ago

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the feedback. The relative rarity and fact that the Vector is essentially local piqued my interest, but I imagine that Firepower will be my entree into the hobby.

#13 5 years ago

I kinda dig all of the stuff on the Vector playfield but I understand I am in the minority. Now I just gotta find a Firepower in decent shape.

#18 5 years ago

Well, just to keep the thought process going...seller says the Vector will boot up and go into attract mode but will not serve a ball. Says you can put a ball in the shooter lane and the pin will function correctly otherwise and keep score. Apparently it has a new MPU board and some aftermarket ROMs as well.

#20 5 years ago

1500.00. Do I have a multimeter? Yes

#23 5 years ago

Agreed. It’s a bit overpriced for not being fully operational based on my limited research. If possession is nine-tenths of the law, then it seems to me that fully operational ought to be nine-tenths of the price; however, I am not sure that rule applies all that often in arcade and pinball pricing/buying.

It would be nice to have enough technical experience with pinball machines to be able to hypothesize on possible issues and have some educated guess on their costs to fix. I enjoy the feedback and nuggets of wisdom anyway.

#26 5 years ago

Cool. I am new enough to this to not understand the technical process of elimination when approaching a problem like this. If, for instance, this is indeed a trough switch issue...how do you begin to determine whether it’s an electrical/mechanical issue with the switch itself or if it’s a board issue?

I was also concerned about parts availability for a pin like Vector versus something mass-produced like Firepower, for long-term maintenance sake. I don’t have a lot of room in my place for pinball machines, probably two at the most. I am going to find and purchase a Firepower, but those pop up relatively frequently. Not too many Vectors for sale out there and this one is in driving distance.

A dirty, unshopped Space Shuttle popped up yesterday locally and I really wanted to pull the trigger on it but would have had to do so sight unseen. If I was experienced technically, I would have jumped on it. Aaaarrgh.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ClarkWGriswold.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-a-potential-bally-vector-repair?tu=ClarkWGriswold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.