Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TractorDoc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Using Dosbox is usually the recommended approach for running old ms-dos based games on more modern systems.

https://www.dosbox.com

[Edit] If you're set on getting the older box running, you will need the creative drivers for your specific sound card, rather than windows-detected drivers.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I'm using the Creative drivers specifically for Win98SE from their website, and Windows sees it as a properly functioning device with volume sliders in the mixer for WAV, MIDI, line in, and CD audio. I've also tried the Microsoft drivers from 1999 which result in an error saying the sound card is missing or not configured correctly after verifying there are no resource conflicts...

There could be the possibility that the sound board is bad. Can you swap it with something else or have a way to verify that it tests good?

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Unfortunately I don't have a way to isolate the machine or the card, I bought the card as-is. But if it's a card issue DOS would have problems with it right? Everything in DOS works perfectly every time I boot to DOS mode. And sound in Windows doesn't work every time I boot to Windows. No flakiness or intermittentness between the two OSes.
    Like timtim reiterated, I think it's my Compaq not being compatible. It does use an ISA riser card and of course what I read says that shouldn't be an issue. So I'm suspecting that or some compatibility issue with the Windows drivers and ISA bus controller. I'm much more confident I can just switch between the 2 sound devices depending on what OS I feel like using. My BIOS seems to have several options for turning things on and off.

I'm pretty sure you will need to explicitly disable onboard sound in the BIOS if you haven't already.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-90s-gaming-pc?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.