• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

77B85D45-7E27-4A4A-AA53-7D1CE9C03727 (resized).jpeg
coils (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I'm replacing the burned out knocker coil on my Bally Eight Ball. The new coil I got from PBR has the band on the diode opposite of what the original coil's diode has. Will that make a difference if I reconnect the wires exactly like they are on the old coil ? I thought diodes operated in one direction, so hence my hesitation on this. Thanks.

coils (resized).jpgcoils (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

You should swap the wires if the diode is swapped. The same wire should be attached to the end with the band

#3 5 years ago

Yes. You'll blow stuff up.

I'd turn the diode around. Then wire the coil in. Or reverse the wires and leave diode alone.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

A coil powered with DC voltage, an inductive voltage is created anytime power to the coil is de-energized. The inductive voltage is called an inductive kick and it is up to ten times the applied voltage and is in reverse polarity to the applied voltage. A diode or other type of suppression device must be connected across the coil of the solenoid to protect any other electronic components in the circuit that may be damaged by this voltage. The diode is connected in reverse bias across the DC solenoid coil so that when voltage is applied in normal polarity, the diode does not provide a path for current. When the solenoid coil is de-energized, the inductive voltage is the opposite polarity to the power supply, so it will flow through the diode and back into the coil. Since the coil is made of a large length of wire. the energy of the inductive voltage will be dissipated as it moves through the wire. This will render the excessive inductive voltage harmless.
The positive wire goes toward the banded end of the diode. Easiest way to correct would be to just switch your 2 wires as mentioned in the above post.
77B85D45-7E27-4A4A-AA53-7D1CE9C03727 (resized).jpeg77B85D45-7E27-4A4A-AA53-7D1CE9C03727 (resized).jpeg

#5 5 years ago

Thanks all. I will swap the wires.

#6 5 years ago

Is it possible the bad coil you're replacing might've had the diode backwards?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quesiton-about-the-diode-on-coil- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.