Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2407 (resized).JPG
IMG_2277 (resized).JPG
IMG_1508 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 7 years ago

Yes, they used it into the mid-60's. Lots of people just reach into and tap the weight on the switch to turn them off. Be careful though, I forget if that switch is live with 120 volts or just 30 (volts).

I have never been able to do it either the few times that I have tried. Regardless, at this point in time, I would suggest not bashing the bottom of the cabinet anymore.

jrpinball's brother had a North Star at Pinfest he had adjusted just right so that a firm tap with two fingers or so onto the coin door (tilt switch there, I'm guessing?) would shut it off. Yet it never seemed to shut off during normal play, even when nudging. Pretty cool to see.

I don't feel comfortable shutting them off that way though and especially would never let that fly in my house as the only way of shutting machines this old off. A much safer alternative is a real power switch like the later 60's and on machines have, but I still don't even come close to trusting that. It still runs live power constantly through the service/convenience outlet, which runs through a fuse holder, etc., etc., still a lot of voltage going through the machine while you sleep at night. Power strips and light switches on dedicated outlets are what I do. During long vacations even the power strips get unplugged in addition to (obviously) being switched off. Can never be too safe, and it saves time on turning them all on anyways, rather than waste it. Even if it did waste time, the extra 10 second of time spent would probably be worth it.

Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Aaaah, now THAT'S what I like to hear... young people that are 'into' the EM's. Very important (at least to me). I would like to see these great games that I love so much... live on and be enjoyed by future generations to come.

Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

very rare indeed! my wish too, is that younger folks get into EM machines, pins, and arcades!
some very cool history there that can't be seen when your whole day is stuck in that damn phone...

I'm only 18 yet still crazy as the rest of you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/queen-of-diamonds-1959-gottlieb-question?tu=otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.