Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,201 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by TaylorVA
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9D776CCC-B81B-4061-A3F8-BEF6763D161B (resized).jpeg
    40D7A4E6-8399-48D5-ABB5-3EF02BFBC468 (resized).jpeg
    20211009_181301 (resized).jpg
    20211009_175116 (resized).jpg
    DSCF9833[1] (resized).jpg
    23A28AF4-5201-4983-A652-9303ECE8A1D6 (resized).jpeg
    DSCF9832[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_20211005_194349836 (resized).jpg
    19F90131-322D-42D4-A6EE-A8DC7E65567C (resized).jpeg
    7B95477C-18DF-4CC6-B1EF-4AEDD64A39F8 (resized).jpeg
    DA335783-3358-4EA3-B0EF-5E736EB164AA (resized).jpeg
    DSCF9831[1] (resized).jpg
    20211004_181754 (resized).jpg
    20211004_181804 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20211004_190245961 (resized).jpg
    DSCF9812[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shredso.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 1 year ago

Dialing in my new smoker. Ribs are amazing

2020-03-29 18.55.47 (resized).jpg
    #89 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Cheesesteak time[quoted image]

I already have 3 grills on my small deck and have no more room..... but I really want a flat top. Looks great!

#161 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

For the uninitiated, if I've already got a decent Weber gas grill, is there a reason to buy the Blackstone vs. pulling out the grates and dropping in a griddle accessory of some kind? I'm sure there's a reason, but having a second grill taking up space on the patio isn't calling my name if I can avoid it.
    That said, the allure of outdoor cooking for breakfast and brunch is calling my name. Maybe I'll break out the old Coleman camping stove with griddle attachment ...

I just did exactly this. With the Traeger and my knock off green egg the gas grill hasn't been used much. Weber makes a flat top specifically for my grill. I think it was around $80. It replaces one of the grates (half the grill). I will report back.

#181 1 year ago

Had another go at the ribs today. Traeger smoker using How to BBQ Right channel on youtube for directions. His videos are great. Everything I've made from his channel has been fantastic. I used his rubs and sauces today, and I also left it in a little longer than I thought I should have. I watch enough of his videos, I figured I would support the store. I bought a shirt too. With all this eating I probably should have ordered a XXL. The smoke ring wasn't as defined as my last try, is it because I seasoned them a little more? I'm not sure if it was the cut of meat, or the rub, or the extra cook time, but these were amazing.

I love Chinese sausage, the bright red ones you can put on the BBQ. I tried finding a recipe to make them, and everything pointed at these odd dried sausages. Very different. I saw them at Costco so i figured I'd give them a try. I tried tossing them in the frying pan, and they were ok, a little strange. Today I added them to my Zojirushi cut in half and steamed them with the rice. I chopped them up after the cook and mixed them in. Delicious!

2020-04-11 18.44.10 (resized).jpg2020-04-11 18.48.42 (resized).jpg
    #255 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

After having the store-bought white corn tortillas with the steak and asparagus tacos a couple days ago, my daughter made homemade white corn tortillas tonight, so we had fried rockfish tacos with homemade coleslaw. Disappeared too fast to take pics...
    But, holy crap, get a tortilla press and make the tortillas from scratch if you can. Night and day difference in quality and chew.

Great, another kitchen utensil to buy?! My wife is going to shoot me....

1 week later
    #355 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

What do you sous vide your steaks at? I pretty much use 55C (131F) if cooking for others but i'm a rare steak guy and like mine at 54C (129F) if doing it for myself.

I go with 129, maybe it hits 130 after the sear? I would consider that medium.

#469 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm not sure if you've stumbled across Malcom Reed in your travels, but this guy is a ninja. He has a lot of recipes and gives you a ton of information. I've learned a ton from watching his videos. He's said you can cook any of his recipes on any cooker as long as you hold a steady temperature and cook to an internal temperature as opposed to time.
    His rubs and BBQ sauces are awesome too, if you want my opinion. We use them all the time. Meat Church has a great one called Holy Cow too.
    https://howtobbqright.com/
    A few brisket recipes:

I've used a ton of his videos and used his rubs as well. I just bought the big sampler, I think it was 5 or 6 rubs and a couple sauces.

#473 1 year ago

Was that the one for $60? I just got that about a week or so ago. I needed some more AP rub and he was sold out of the 5lb bags. I grabbed The BBQ Rub in a 5lb bag and just take out what I need for a few weeks and vacuum seal the rest.
    Have you tried the King Crawl? Used that one some wings with his Voodoo sauce and it was bangin'. I think I might try the Voodoo on a chicken I have in the fridge tomorrow.

It was this one.
    https://h2qshop.com/collections/killer-hogs-products/products/killer-hogs-sampler-gift-pack
    No King Craw, now I want to try it!

#501 1 year ago

Smoked a chicken yesterday for the wife and I dusted with Cajun rub. It turned out awesome. If you've never smoked a chicken, I highly suggest it. They stay so juicy it's crazy.
    [quoted image]

What temp are you smoking at? I've done thighs at 275 and the skin was leathery. I read higher heat helps, but at that point, is it still worth smoking?

3 weeks later
    #665 1 year ago

My kid wanted chicken nuggets. I used this recipe.

I had everything except the mushroom powder. Best fried chicken I've ever made.

2020-05-27 18.07.59 (resized).jpg2020-05-27 18.11.00 (resized).jpg
    #677 1 year ago

Maybe there are some BBQ experts here that can help me out. I put on a full brisket at around 11:30 last night. The plan was 8 hours at 195 degrees, wrap, 8 hours at 250, rest for 2. We lost power at 5:45AM. I didn't realize until about 7:30AM. I pulled it, it looks fantastic. I wrapped it and cranked it up to 250 and put it back on. It's a Traeger so it really isn't well insulated. The grill was cool to the touch. It cools down fairly quickly. Internal on the brisket was around 116, so the meat didn't get cold. Think it will be fine?

#679 1 year ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Maybe there are some BBQ experts here that can help me out. I put on a full brisket at around 11:30 last night. The plan was 8 hours at 195 degrees, wrap, 8 hours at 250, rest for 2. We lost power at 5:45AM. I didn't realize until about 7:30AM. I pulled it, it looks fantastic. I wrapped it and cranked it up to 250 and put it back on. It's a Traeger so it really isn't well insulated. The grill was cool to the touch. It cools down fairly quickly. Internal on the brisket was around 116, so the meat didn't get cold. Think it will be fine?

From what I'm reading it takes longer than 2 hours for the meat to go bad, hopefully I'm ok. Brisket came up to 200 in less than 4 hours, I was expecting closer to 8. I'm going to check the temps on my Traeger next cook, I wonder if it's running hot. I've had the same thing happen with ribs. The probe has little resistance in the flat reading 205ish, the point had a little more resistance reading just over 200. I've never cooked a point so I'm not sure what it should feel like. It's in the cooler for a long rest now, will report back later. Hopefully not from the toilet. Ha!

#684 1 year ago

It wasn't the best brisket I've made, not the worst either. The tip of the flat was a little dry, I think a lot of people just cut that off anyway. Smoke ring wasn't super defined, I probably shouldn't have wrapped it so early. Learn something new each cook!

2020-06-02 17.00.10 (resized).jpg
    #686 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Usually if I’m gonna do a brisket I buy a packer brisket from restaurant depot and trim it myself. That’s what I think of brisket when it has the flat and the point still attached is a full brisket, usually around 12 pounds.
    these pictures are from two years ago so it’s not really my best trim job.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This was a full brisket, about 15 pounds. I didn't do a great job trimming it. My knives need to be sharpened badly.

2 weeks later
    #749 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Did some applewood smoked lobsters tonight for Father’s Day. Best lobster I’ve ever had.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I've never thought about smoking a lobster. I need more details....

#790 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I officially hate you. Now I need to order a Sous vide thing, and bags, and all kinds of junk. The lobster started it, but they say that steaks come out better, so of course I have to try it now.

I'm not sure if it's better, it depends on the cut of meat. It is very consistent and difficult to screw up. I find the vacuum sealer very useful. We were using that before we got the sous vide. We had a super busy day today. The wife was home for a short time around 3. Tossed the frozen vacuum sealed tips in the sous vide. Got home around 6. Fire up the grill to max heat. Patted the steaks dry, seasoned them, seared for a couple minutes per side, eating by 6:15 and they were delicious. I've done prime rib, eggs, coffee, ribs, pork chops. One of my favorites is par cooking wings, then they can be stored. Only a few minutes in the deep fryer, amazing buffalo wings.

#816 1 year ago

Pork chops, sous vide for about 3 hours at 135F. Dried off, added some creole seasoning and on to the grill for a couple minutes each side. Served with some Annie's boxed mac and cheese on a Yoda plate. It was fantastic.

20200624_181028 (resized).jpg
    #820 1 year ago

I want to know how much money this thread has cost everyone so far. A month ago everyone was buying the flat tops, now everyone is buying a sous vide. I bought a flat top attachment for my Weber but I kinda wish I just bought the one everyone else is using. This is way too small.

#827 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

ok so I am going to do my first sous vide soon. I want to make barbacoa and like the recipe on sous vide everything on youtube. I will be doing my with chuck steak instead of short ribs. in the video he cooked it for 24 hours at 180 or 185. does it really need to cook that long? should I sear the meat on the grill before bagging? do I need to double bag?

I've watched a lot of videos on that channel. I eventually gave up because everything is"Amazing!". I've tried a few of his recipes and they were all very good.

If pulled meat is the desired outcome, it does take a long cook. I'm not sure if chuck needs more or less time. I'd look for some recipes for your exact cut, or just try 24 hours and see if you like it.

I've never seared first, always after. His end result looks great though. Personally I would follow the video closely the first time and adjust after you get a baseline.

He suggests double bagging when you have a bone in cut. It might not be a bad idea to double bag with such a long cook anyway. It is really defeating when the bag opens up, especially with liquid in it.

Post the results, good or bad!

#831 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Set the Anova to the lowest temp so the heating element doesn't come on then dump some ice in the water. The constantly circulating icy water will quickly chill the beer.

I thought you were kidding, ha! I wonder if adding salt to the water would damage the anova?

#863 1 year ago

It took me months, and 20 pounds to get this one right. Personal 10" pan pizza. We call it South Shore Bar Pizza. There are a bunch of dive bars and pubs around here that serve this. I believe it's a regional thing. Sauce to the edge to get crispy edges, Cheddar cheese.

2020-06-23 17.54.09 (resized).jpg2020-06-23 17.55.44 (resized).jpg
    #865 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Surfing sous vide this morning here.
    Some guy called Emeril
    https://www.emerils.com/130973/simple-sous-vide-steak
    Some sheila called Cat

Someone copying a guy called Heston

Another sheila, this ones called Martha
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1930990093873610
    Some random people who seem to know what they are on about on the subject of sous vide
    https://www.quora.com/What-do-professional-chefs-think-of-the-sous-vide-method
    Haven't seen a chef talk about soaking a soggy bag in tepid water yet, i'll keep looking.

Any time the sous vide comes up in conversation there is always one dude that says "I won't boil my meat in a bag!". He's the same guy that refuses to use a thermometer. "I can tell how done a steak is by pressing my thumb into my hand!" It's also likely he's the guy that bragged about bringing his girlfriend to a high end steakhouse that cooked his steak sous vide. Any time this argument comes up, the only reasoning is because it doesn't seem right to cook meat in a bag. Not that they have tried it, and prefer another way. Just- this way sucks! No cooking meat in bags! It's not the best way to cook steak. It is an excellent way to cook it that is very consistent and tough to screw up. Reverse sear on the smoker is great, I prefer it for a ribeye. It's very time consuming. Give the sous vide a chance.

#929 1 year ago

Variation on the Toad in a Hole. Core out the bagel hole a little, kerry gold in the cast iron, crack an egg in the hole.

2020-06-30 08.47.17 (resized).jpg2020-06-30 08.42.56 (resized).jpg
    #933 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I botched my first real Sous Vide attempt. I did a NY Sirloin at 130 degrees for 2 hours. Then a quick sear on a hot grill. It was well beyond medium, chewing closer to medium well. I had confirmed my temp with a thermometer. I'm assuming it was because the steak wasn't thick enough, so my instinct is to try 1 hour next time. But any advice would be welcome. It was tasty, but I feel like I could have done better just grilling it like normal.

I agree that you need a thicker steak. Maybe a quicker sear. I like medium rare, 129 is my magic number. I might go a little lower on thinner cuts, or just avoid thinner cuts.

#947 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Im a believer now.
    After 24h at 54 degrees, this was the result after searing. Very good. Ofcourse, I miss the smoky taste from doing it on a smoker, and next time I'll probably go at 52 or 50 degrees.
    I like how well the garlic taste was distributed evenly through the meat. And a damned cheap piece of meat, it was. [quoted image]

What Sous vide are you using? I feel like my 129F is a lot redder than yours. On a side note, I'm embarrassed that we still use this stupid system in the US. I've been slowly changing over to metric for cooking, I'd love to change for carpentry, I keep telling myself I'm just going to do it and I chicken out.

1 week later
    #1037 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so noticed lately this thread has been slowing down. are most of you out of quarantine? I have been working this entire time but was moved to working at home. I don't think I will be going back to normal for the rest of the year. So I guess you can say I am still in quarantine.

Gained 25 pounds quarantine cooking. Diet started Monday. Ha! Unless you guys want to see some diet food, I'm out for awhile.

#1051 1 year ago
    Quoted from jester523:

I'm definitely not winning any bbq awards any time time soon. It was fun, and it tasted pretty good (not amazing). I'm enjoying the bbq learning process, but feel i need a lot more practice.
    [quoted image]

I can't tell you the number of times I've slaved over something on the smoker to have it come out just OK. I'm not sure if I set my expectations too high, or if it really wasn't worth the effort. There are so many variables. Even with something very consistent like a sous vide, and supposedly the same grade steak from the supermarket, the results are always different. Maybe I need more butcher grade meat.

#1111 1 year ago
    Quoted from jalkelly:

I was intimidated by raw shrimp for the longest time so always bought frozen, not really sure why....the problem I always had with frozen was never thinking to thaw them in time.
    I marinate mine for an hr before grilling and always come out perfect.
    For 1 lb:
    3 TB olive oil
    3 cloves garlic
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2-3 mins per side on high heat with shell on is fool proof!

It's my understanding that almost all the shrimp is frozen on the boat when it's caught, and the stuff they sell as "fresh" in the grocery store is just stuff they thawed, who knows how long ago. I've always run cold water over the frozen shrimp while peeling and they are basically thawed by the time you get around to cooking them.

#1137 1 year ago

Another brisket on the Traeger. My last brisket was a little dry, so I pulled this one at 195. Man, these things are unpredictable. This one sat at around 160 forever, even after wrapping in foil. We ended up with a a late dinner. My previous briskets were always done much earlier than anticipated and I was worried about holding. I was at 250 degrees the entire cook. It was delicious, not as tender as I would have liked. It was a flat only because that is all Costco carries. I rested it loosely covered for just under an hour. I see lots of varying opinions on how to rest and how long.

2020-07-23 19.07.17 (resized).jpg
    #1183 1 year ago

I apologize if this is the 10th time I've posted ribs, it's a work in progress. I did 2 hours bare at 275 on the Traeger, then another hour wrapped in foil. They were at about 208F before saucing them, maybe a little overcooked? HowtoBBQRight recommended 202F IIRC. The bones pulled out easily and clean, but they weren't as tender as I would have liked. They were very thin compared to other ribs I've cooked. That is probably why they cooked so fast. I tried squishing them together before cooking, but there is only so much you can do. They were also a couple days past the recommended usage. That probably didn't help. I may try 250F next cook and keep a closer eye on them. Don't get me wrong, they were excellent. Just not quite perfect.

2020-07-28 19.28.55 (resized).jpg
    #1203 1 year ago

Reverse sear steaks on the Traeger. I think they were NY? They were in my freezer, label long gone. 225 until they hit 120F. 500 for the sear. I wish I pulled them a tad sooner, I let the internal hit 129. I think the sear almost turned into a cook and the temp probably ended up in the mid 130's. Still pink and still delicious. Next time for a steak this thick I'll let the initial cook go a little longer. Tossed some rice, butter, chicken stock paste, drained black beans and diced tomatoes in the rice maker. Sort of a Spanish style rice, it's amazing and very easy. Some broccoli for color, and the wife demands vegetables.

2020-08-01 18.45.45 (resized).jpg2020-08-01 18.47.51 (resized).jpg2020-08-01 18.52.12 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #1305 1 year ago

I got one of those Ooni pellet pizza ovens. I'm not making consistently good pizzas, but this one was excellent.

2020-09-06 18.44.02 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #1391 11 months ago

A little snow can't stop me! Based on this recipe.

I didn't taste any smoke, they were on for about 40 minutes. I think I need some meatier wings so I can leave them on a little longer. I made the Nashville Chicken sauce, It was decent, but nobody chose it over the classic Franks and butter. I did like the Nashville dry on top of the Frank's for a little bite. I think he's being a little dramatic on the video. Even the Nashville sauce along with the dry rub wasn't nearly as hot as Prince's in Nashville. That had me sweating. Overall, smoking the wings first made for a quick deep fry and gave a nice crisp. Wings were excellent.

2020-10-30 17.42.31 (resized).jpg2020-10-30 17.44.40 (resized).jpg2020-10-30 18.58.34 (resized).jpg2020-10-30 19.01.51 (resized).jpg2020-10-30 19.15.50 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #1439 10 months ago

The wife was angry when I started to add rub to the turkey. She said she didn't want a BBQ turkey, just a regular turkey. She didn't mind the result.

128079699_10224746933765144_101956039496106327_n (resized).jpg128056348_10224746933205130_4056421180761450471_n (resized).jpg2020-11-26 15.45.58 (resized).jpg
    #1441 10 months ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Damn those look good.
    My favorite rub is whatever the hell Boltons in Nashville does... pissed me off that they closed the location I used to go to to cash out on the land.

This was a simple home made rub, recipe was from the HowtoBBQRight youtube channel. I've also bought the rub directly from his store. It's much better than my home made one, although this one is very good.

#1443 10 months ago

Nashville hot chicken is its own thing but Ive never looked into how they do it.
    Most places these days do a sauce but the OG places like Boltons do rubs.
    I almost dont want to know because if I did I would make it all the time and be 350 lbs.
    Their "spicy" is over the top hot... even regular is too much for most people.
    https://www.facebook.com/BoltonsSpicyChickenandFish/

We had Hattie B's and Party Fowl when we were in Nashville. The Bolton's had weird hours so we missed it. I've tried making it at home with mixed results.

#1445 10 months ago

Yah Hatties Bs does huge biz but its a different thing.
    They plopped one right across the street from the old Boltons which is probably one reason they shut it down.
    Boltons is old school with mean servers and white bread with paper plates etc. but its worth checking out.
    Found this from the guys channel you recommended so now of course Ill have to try it.
    amazon.com link »

The Kosmo stuff is decent, but it's expensive. The package is very small. I have that Wing Dust in a few different varieties. That one is my favorite.

1 week later
    #1469 10 months ago

Did this for Thanksgiving on the smoker. It was phenomenal.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Damn that looks good! We were talking about doing a Prime Rib for Christmas Eve, I assume that is what that is? Last year I cooked it sous vide but that looks great, might have to give the smoker a try. Any details on the cook?

1 week later
    #1479 10 months ago

My latest attempt at Nashville Hot Chicken. This has definitely been the best one yet. It had some decent heat, but not nearly as hot as I remember from Prince's in Nashville. Any tips on getting it hotter? I feel like if I add any more cayenne it's just going to turn to paste. Should I try a more potent dried pepper? Will that kill the taste? Used this method.

2020-12-12 18.09.36 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1509 9 months ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Last nights dinner. Rotisserie chicken, roasted potatoes, green beans. Oh and if you haven’t tried franks sweet chili sauce, you’re missing out

Frank's sweet chili is amazing! I haven't bought it recently because I'm trying to cut back on sugar, but the diet is cancelled until next year. Maybe I'll grab some. What are you using for a rotisserie?

4 weeks later
    #1587 9 months ago

I'm trying to drop my Covid-30 so I'm trying Keto for a bit. Not long term, hoping to dump 15 and then go back to my strict measured diet during the week and fun on weekends to slowly lose the rest. Anyway, this is my second attempt at almond flour fried chicken. My first attempt I approached like I normally do anything fried. Flour/egg/flour. I prefer the 2nd dry ingredient to be bread crumbs, but that is off the table. They came out decent but the coating was a bit much. This time I went straight into the now slightly watered down egg and into the almond flour mixture I tossed together. Probably 80% almond flour with a mix of grated parm, salt, pepper, chili powder, chili flakes. No real rhyme, reason or measurement. It came out really good. I wouldn't be upset if I was served this in a restaurant. I'm sure the kids version with bread crumbs was better, but I was very happy with the results. I had a couple bites before I remembered the picture, sorry no fancy plating here. The sauce is Kewpie Japanese mayo and Frank's Red Hot.

2021-01-19 18.25.22 (resized).jpg
    #1591 8 months ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I'm trying to lose weight by eating fried chicken
    FuckingGoldPunkin

It's weird, but it works.

1 week later
    #1602 8 months ago

Over time you will figure out best ways to do it.. I dropped and kept off about 25 pounds doing it.
    If I slip up and put on a few pounds its pretty easy to take it back off by tightening back up.
    One key is not drinking or if you do stick to no carb stuff like vodka or tequila and soda.
    Avoiding sugar (which is in fucking everything these days) is way harder than it seems but you will figure it out.
    If anybody is interested I can throw up here some keto things you can buy in stores or on amazon that are actually good.

I'm definitely interested in some new ideas, thanks. No shit with the sugar, it's unbelievable how much is in everything. If nothing else this diet gets you looking at labels.

1 week later
    #1613 8 months ago

Feel free to kick me and my low carb pics out of the club, but here is my latest attempt at low carb pizza. This was by far the best. The "dough" is make of canned chicken, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of grated parmesan. You wouldn't be fooled and think it's real dough, but you would go back for a 2nd piece.

2021-02-04 11.46.14 (resized).jpg2021-02-04 12.00.19 (resized).jpg2021-02-04 12.01.57 (resized).jpg2021-02-04 12.02.06 (resized).jpg
    #1631 8 months ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Squid with onions, green bell peppers, garlic, and asparagus[quoted image]

I love fried calamari, I've never tried squid any other way. How are you buying the squid? When I've looked in the supermarket frozen was my only option and when I fried it, it wasn't great.

2 weeks later
    #1702 7 months ago
    Quoted from MattS:

Picked up a new toy, Ooni Koda 16. Makes amazing Pizza, fast. This was done in about 90 seconds.
    Going to try steaks in it next....
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That pizza looks great! I never thought about cooking a steak in one of those. I have an older pellet version and I have a hard time regulating temps. Report back with the steak!

2 weeks later
    #1753 7 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

If you want a cheap spare, grab the next rusted out propane tank your neighbor leaves on the curb. Wal-mart will take them as a refill exchange.

I learned this the hard way years ago. Bought a new grill and a new propane tank, went to get it filled at Lowe's. I realized it was an exchange when they handed me a full rusty old one. Lesson learned, oh well.

1 week later
    #1779 6 months ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Definitely have the makings of tonight's episode of fish and chips, we'll have to see how it expands after a joint though.
    [quoted image]
    It's a tough life when the prawns are bigger than the lobsters.

I love seeing some food outside of my USA comfort zone.
    Those shrimp (prawns?) are huge! I've never had lobster outside of New England (Maine lobster). I've also never seen canned potatoes. I've had a seafood craving lately and that looks delicious, keep posting!

#1799 6 months ago

Shrimp and Lobster sauce is one of my favorite Chinese takeout dishes. This seems to vary quite a bit regionally, this is the New England version, or maybe just the MA version, not sure. I find the soupy lighter colored version appalling, but that is probably because I grew up with this. It is stupid easy to make, basically tacos but instead of beef use ground pork and instead of taco seasoning use black bean sauce. I didn't use nearly the amount of water they called for in the recipe.
    https://www.food.com/recipe/kowloons-lobster-sauce-from-kowloons-of-new-england-ma-92593

I cooked the shrimp separately. I've been tossing the shrimp in the Tony Chachere Bold Creole and tossing it on the cast iron for a couple minutes.

2021-03-25 18.56.11 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #1813 6 months ago
    Quoted from jester523:

Cooked up some wagyu A5. Super easy. Cast iron pan over medium high, no oil.

Looks great. I've read that this is too rich to eat an entire steak. After a few bites you are good. I'm too cheap to buy one to find out for myself. How much was it? Was it worth it?

3 weeks later
    #1867 5 months ago
    Quoted from tuffano:

Steamed this seasons first batch of Maryland blue crabs. Paired them with jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese then dunked in beer batter and deep fried. Wash it all down with ice cold Natty Boh and you’re in Maryland heaven

We were in Baltimore this weekend for a couple Red Sox games, first time here. We went to Locus point Steamers for some crab. I've never known anything more than crab legs, fortunately they helped us before we threw away half the meat. Great experience and great crab!

3 weeks later
    #1942 4 months ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Any one a heat fan? I've been buying a ghost pepper medley and just chopping them up and drying them to use in soups, chilis, sauces, etc... My sweet ghost pepper bbq sauce is really coming along. Thinking of pickling them next time I get some. Pickled jalapenos just don't have the kick we're looking for

I'm not a crazy spicy hot guy, but I like spicy food. Most of the "spicy" I find in restaurants is laughable. When I try to kick up the spice at home I usually end up with a grainy texture or just fail. I'd be interested in some spicy tips, especially for hot wings. Nashville Hot Chicken was amazing in Nashville, every recipe I've tried has that awful texture and isn't even close.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shredso.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside