Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,416 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2038[1] (resized).jpg
    20221130_193536 (resized).jpg
    20221130_193538 (resized).jpg
    C919CD50-B88D-43F3-8C43-5C8B96F6105F (resized).jpeg
    20220707_120058.jpg
    20220706_173039.jpg
    20220705_190231.jpg
    4E6FB350-D932-496E-A67E-C47614DAA94A (resized).jpeg
    6FE217CD-246E-4D26-9574-089C10AD836C (resized).jpeg
    87635104-1075-4825-940F-617AB927EA50 (resized).jpeg
    DYkfSE (resized).png
    prawn2 (resized).jpg
    20220618_124024.jpg
    jerky6 (resized).jpg
    jerky2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220614_101140 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider punkin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

446 posts in this topic match your search for posts by punkin. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #32 4 years ago

Toss the spagrus in a half dozen drops of sesame oil and some salt and pepper and toss in a hot pan for 1 min. Sprinkle a few drops of good balsamic on it and serve crunchy.

You're welcome.

#43 4 years ago

I didn't take a pic either but i made two dozen Prawn Cutlets in panko crumbs with lime zest and shredded coconut last night.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Well, I believe you. But without pictures my mouth doesnt water, unfortunately. I like my mouth watering..
    And I also like getting inspiration from seeing pictures of good food. I know alot of people hate such stuff, but then I guess they are in the wrong thread.

Picture of the cold left overs just for you then;

Scuse the abundance if salt, i'm addicted to the celtic sea salt.

prawn1 (resized).jpgprawn1 (resized).jpg
    #79 4 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Thank you for giving me an idea about what to cook tomorrow!

You are welcome.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Soapman:

Jaybird815
    Steaks are awsome on the flat top! Butter and Beef!
    Need to give it a try.

Steaks are best cooked sous vide. I've won money betting people i can cook the best steak they've ever eaten.

Get yourself a $20 ribeye with a handle on it 2" thick and do it at 55C (130F) for 2 hours sous vide and then sear on your flat top for a minute either side.

sousviderig1 (resized).jpgsousviderig1 (resized).jpg
    #102 4 years ago

Chicken and bacon pie at the punkin's tonight. 1 pie and it made enough to feed 5 people, i get two share it with two couples. Sharing is what food is all about, i like costing too, it works out to $2 a serve. Good footy when you can feed someone for a couple bucks.
    pi1 (resized).jpgpi1 (resized).jpgpi2 (resized).jpgpi2 (resized).jpg

Someone said here yesterday that they'll end being either a great cook or an alcoholic after the quarantine stuff. My mate and i both started laughing and i told her that i was already both.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

Can you PM me the recipe?

Sorry no recipe, just chicken thighs chopped and tossed in seasoned flour with stock, veggies, bacon, pasta shells and some Lancashire Relish/worcestershire sauce. Thicken and tip in pastry.

#173 4 years ago

Smoked a couple fatties over pecan on the stick burner the other day, will reheat one with baked vegies for dinner tonight.

fatty1 (resized).jpgfatty1 (resized).jpg
    #186 4 years ago

Fatty all sliced, made this one with bread stuffing

fatty2 (resized).jpgfatty2 (resized).jpg
    #195 4 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

A fatty is a pork tenderloin?

Mince pork and veal. In Australia we call it a meatloaf, but in the US i was under the understanding that it is called a fatty?

#201 4 years ago

While i was aware there was another meaning to the expression, it is called the cooking thread and google tells me that i used the term correctly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=to+smoke+a+fatty&oq=to+smoke+a+fatty&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.5549j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Let the record show that our Woolgoolgian brothers are experienced in smoking a fatty

In all sorts of US style BBQ, sausage making and cold smoking in fact;

bacon3 (resized).jpgbacon3 (resized).jpgbbq14 (resized).jpgbbq14 (resized).jpgbbq8 (resized).jpgbbq8 (resized).jpgbbqbeefribs3 (resized).jpgbbqbeefribs3 (resized).jpgbbqbeefribs5 (resized).jpgbbqbeefribs5 (resized).jpgbbqporkknuckles1 (resized).jpgbbqporkknuckles1 (resized).jpgbtkfc2 (resized).jpgbtkfc2 (resized).jpgchillicrab2 (resized).jpgchillicrab2 (resized).jpgham162 (resized).jpgham162 (resized).jpgsalami1 (resized).jpgsalami1 (resized).jpg
    #208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

NICE!! You ever cold smoke some fine cheeses? It’s phenomenal to make pizza with

I've cold smoked cheese for my wife before, smoked everything from fish to chicken to salt, grain and nuts. Butchering pigs and making cold cured meats like copa, salami, pancetta and prosciutto and stuff was my last hobby before i found pinball.

Cold smoked salt is really handy stuff, cheap and easy and lends smoked flavour to anything you put in on, like steamed vegies, healthy AND tasty.

#211 4 years ago

Smoked Chicken Chowder tonight.

chow1 (resized).jpgchow1 (resized).jpgchow2 (resized).jpgchow2 (resized).jpg
    #213 4 years ago

Smoked Fish/Chicken Chowder****

500gm Smoked fish or chicken, 1 potato diced, 1 stick celery diced, 1 onion diced. 50 gm Butter, 1 rasher of bacon finely chopped, 2 tbsp plain flour, ½ tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup milk, 3 tbsp chopped parsley, ¼ cup of cream.

Cook fish in 1.25l of water for 8 min. Keep stock and flake fish.
    Cook potato, onion and celery in a litre of stockfor 8 mins, set aside.
    Melt butter and fry bacon till browned, stir in flour, mustard and relish, cook for 1 min until pale and foaming and the flour is cooked through. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk, return to heat and stir till it boils and thickens, reduce heat and simmer for 2 mins.
    Gradually add stock and vegies while stirring till all combined cook, add parsley and fish or chicken. Simmer for 5 mins.
    Season with lots of white pepper and salt if needed, serve with cream.

I just substitute the smoked chicken for smoked fish because my ex didn't like smoked fish. Now i'm used to eating it this way. Serve with herbed croutons made with good oil oil and loads of white pepper.

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

sounds awesome. so the stock. chicken i take it? how much do you use?

I have home made stock in the freezer, used about a litre/quart i guess. I threw the bones in from the chook while the vegies were boiling then discarded the bones.

#219 4 years ago

Just to finish up the chicken chowder, here it is with rye bread herbed croutons.

chow3 (resized).jpgchow3 (resized).jpg
    #228 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If you're into Asian flavors (and pork dumplings!) David Chang's Momofuku is only $2.99 on Amazon Kindle or Apple ebook right now.
    Also, his series Ugly Delicious on Netflix is definitely worth a watch.

Very much into pork dumplings.

porkbuns3 (resized).jpgporkbuns3 (resized).jpg
    #240 4 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

These are next on my list now!
    What’s the red sauce you’re using?

Home made Plum sauce. A jar of plum jam, some grated fresh ginger, pinch of five spice and some crushed chilli. Heat it in a saucepan for a few minutes, pour back in the jar and keep in the fridge for months.

Place setter for tonights Ham and Chicken rolls;

hcroll1 (resized).jpghcroll1 (resized).jpg
    #241 4 years ago

3 part recipe for Pork Buns if you want to go the whole way from scratch. It's a bit of a mission your first time, but like everything, gets easier with practice;

Chinese BBQ Pork (Char Shui)****
    500gm pork belly or fillet, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp fine grated ginger, 1 tbsp light soy sauce, ½ tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp dry sherry, ½ tsp five spice, 1 tbsp char sui sauce, red food colouring.
    Cut pork into large strips, crush garlic with salt and combine all ingredients in a large bowl, cover and marinade.
    Half fill a roasting pan with water, put pork on a rack over it and bake in hot oven for 30 mins, brush with marinade and cook 15 mins more till well glazed and touched with brown spots.
    Slice to serve, add plum or hoi sin dipping sauce.

Steamed Bun Dough (Dai Bao)***
    2 ½ cups plain flour
    3 1/2 tsp baking powder
    3 tbsp caster sugar
    2 tbsp softened lard
    about ½ cup luke warm water
    1 tsp white vinegar

Sift flour and baking soda into a bowl, stir in sugar and rub in lard with fingertips till crumbly. Mix water and vinegar and kneading until soft dough.
    Set aside covered for ½ hour.
    Make buns and steam 20 mins.

Cha Shiu Bao; (Barbecued Pork Buns)
    185 gm barbecued pork
    2 tsp peanut oil
    1 small clove of garlic
    ¼ tsp salt
    1/3 cup hot water
    2 tsp light soy sauce
    ½ tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp oyster sauce
    3 tsp corn flour
    1 tsp hoi sin sauce
    1 tsp char sui sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    red colour

Dice pork very small, heat oil and add crushed garlic and salt, cook slowly do not brown. Add hot water, soy sauce, sesame oil and oyster sauce. Mix cornflour with a tbsp cold water and stir in cook while stirring till thick and clear. Remove, stir in hoi sin, char sui, sugar and red. Cool then stir in pork.

#249 4 years ago
    ch2 (resized).jpgch2 (resized).jpg
    #283 4 years ago

How'd you make the butter? Last time i did it simmering it stunk the shed out. If i could use the SousVide machine i'd be happy but the bags soften and go sticky at 90C and it doesn't seem to really carbolise. If you could heat longer for less with the butter in the bag (or some ethanol) it would suit better.

#285 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Bet they can’t make that on the flat top.

Saucepan and a camp oven, yep you could.

#289 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I decarbed the grinded bud in the oven for 25 minutes at 200°F Then added it to 1.5 cups of butter and let simmer for about a hour. Once cooled enough i squeezed it thru some cheesecloth and thru it in the fridge. The smell was gone in a few hours.
    New recipe and it turns out it's more of a cake then a square. We both just ate 2 slices with a bowl of ice cream.

Thanks, still the same process then, although we tend to use trim that would be otherwise chucked away.

#293 4 years ago

Yeah the steam pork buns are my last meal wish if i was ever so unlucky. Only if i cooked them though.

#331 4 years ago

Honey soy pork ribs going in the sous vide. 12 hours at 72C

ribs1 (resized).jpgribs1 (resized).jpg
    #350 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Pay no attention to the culinary delight but DO look at his plate game....simple white with minimal shape variation. Some of the plates you guys put food on....SHAME. And paper plates

I live alone. I often eat off paper or plastic plates when by myself. I'm not cooking to impress but for food.

Ribs come out of the sous vide

ribs2 (resized).jpgribs2 (resized).jpg
    #352 3 years ago

What do you sous vide your steaks at? I pretty much use 55C (131F) if cooking for others but i'm a rare steak guy and like mine at 54C (129F) if doing it for myself.

#357 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

No one is trying to outdo each other on this thread?! YOU LIE! Just because you live alone doesn’t mean you should eat off of outdoor party supplies...do it nice man! I’m just saying all these pics of great looking food and you guys put it on overly decorated art plates or single use only. Let the food shine buds

I don't care what you think about it. Like i said i cook for food, not making more washing up just to impress you.

The lie you accuse me of i never spoke. You mentioned people outdoing each other, not me. Put me on ignore if my paper plates half a world and all the internet away depress you so much.

#359 3 years ago

Yep, seems there's a critic here no matter where you step.

#362 3 years ago

I don't believe so. There's a lot of simple good food being posted.

#364 3 years ago

Put them on at 5 yesterday evening and took them out a couple hours ago and into the fridge. I'll heat them in the oven to brown this evening, hopefully not be too drunk to take a pic like last night with the prawn cutlets and the day before with my shweizenaxe roast pork knuckle.

#366 3 years ago

I envy you bakers. Bread is one thing i've never got a handle on. I've tried different bread machines, different ovens, loaf tins etc. I've bought books on methoiods, like the 5 Minute a Day Artisan bead book and tried for months with different recipes and methods.
    Every now and then i get a half decent loaf, usually rolls and often when out camping in a camp oven.

But i can never get it just right.

Other fermented doughs i'm fine with, pizza, calzone etc.

Can't sharpen a knife or saw without a jig either, but i do a pretty good job with my Lansky and steels.

#372 3 years ago

In the interests of world peace i've decided to bend and ditch the paper plates.

pc1 (resized).jpgpc1 (resized).jpg
    #376 3 years ago

Doneness pic if not too late (bet it is)

#378 3 years ago

I have to say that i get a much rarer steak than that at the same temps (2 hour cook). May be a calibration issue with my Anova or maybe your sear goes longer, i usually use a gas torch. I do seafood at the same 54C (129F) and it comes out perfect, sort of just under but beautiful texture. What temps do you do prawns, fish and lobster?

#382 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I want to know how long it would take to smoke that 107lb shrimp? I imagine it would not taste that good being that old.?

I want to know how anyone with an IQ in double figures could possibly entertain the notion that that is true.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/102-lb-shrimp/

#385 3 years ago

Ribs are the perfect doneness for me as you can see from the bone showing where i unfolded the rack in the middle.
    Now to make them look cooked.

20 mins in the oven at 180c should do it.

ribs3 (resized).jpgribs3 (resized).jpg
    #386 3 years ago

Something like that anyway. Even got bark.

ribs4 (resized).jpgribs4 (resized).jpg
    #388 3 years ago

Dunno about you guys but i can't get ribs both tender and juicy like this in my stickburner, weber, camp oven or oven.

ribs5 (resized).jpgribs5 (resized).jpg
    #393 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

It takes longer than you can imagine ...
    A rack of ribs imo takes at least 4.5 hours at 225'f the longer you cook them the more tender they get .
    I usually do 4 hours then another hour wrapped in foil with some liquid added, like , coke or apple cider.

It's not like i have to imagine, i usually do six hour rib cooks at 3 . 2 . 1. on the offset. I'm just saying i can't cook ribs (nor have i had better at restaurants) better with any other method than sous vide. Not everything is better sous vide, but ribs (both beef and pork), seafood and good steak 100% are.

The ones above took me 5 mins to bag and stick in the pot, then 5 mins to stick in the oven for 20 mins, i'd put em up against most.

bbq7 (resized).jpgbbq7 (resized).jpgbbqribs1 (resized).jpgbbqribs1 (resized).jpg

#396 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Sounds like you have your method
    Sorry edit : first and foremost Ribs need to be done on smoker, not boiled , Ever!

You have no idea mate. They weren't boiled. You don't know what you are even talking about.

MustBePokeThePunkinDayPunkin

#398 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

What ...
    Its boiling meat in a bag .
    Am I wrong

Yes you are wrong. It never touched water and never reached boiling.

#400 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Ok, so its meat in bag being cooked below boiling point.
    Not how ribs should be done .
    I dont know about other meat but not ribs .

Yes, if that's the sneery uppity way you want to look at a superior method, then that's what you can do. You're loss as one of us has tried it many ways.

I don't care about the rules you impose on yourself, but you have no right to impose them on me.

Plus i reckon my ribs at 3,2,1 would be at least as good as your 4.5 hour ones that you think i would not even be able to imagine doing.

You've been rude, judgmental, disrespectful and just plain wrong mate in a thread where people are getting along fine.

#402 3 years ago

Yes, once again you are mistaken
    I didn't ask for recommendations as i have enough experience to KNOW the best way to cook them. You assumed i was such an idiot i wouldn't even be able to imagine how to cook them.

Sometimes when i'm butchering a pig i'll bone the ribs out, turn them into sausage and fry them, what does your rule say about that?

I've been known to turn them into salami too.
    pigcuring4 (resized).jpgpigcuring4 (resized).jpgpigs1 (resized).jpgpigs1 (resized).jpgpigs6 (resized).jpgpigs6 (resized).jpg

Edit; Benefit of the doubt, maybe you eat in really bad restaurants.

#405 3 years ago

Time for a beer and a cone.

#410 3 years ago

Sure. It's PM (afternoon) now for me, so in my happy space.

Rule #1. No drama.

My friends make fun of me for saying it, but i try to live that way as much as a i can.

I apologise for coming out swinging, i should have more restraint.

#422 3 years ago

I did eventually eat the ribs.

ribs6 (resized).jpgribs6 (resized).jpg
    #424 3 years ago

TP is too expensive nowadays to use everyday.

#441 3 years ago

Takeaway Thai Jungle Curry. Order it PET PET PET and see what you get.

#445 3 years ago

I can get the Chinese Roast Pork, cooked and sliced at my supermarket now. So my sweet pork buns are reallty simplfied to make from a 3 stage recipe to something quite simple.

I use a dough mix from the Asian supermarket to save me the measuring and then just chop some store bought roast pork in with the sauce recipe i posted earlier. 15 mins to make the filling now instead of 3 days.

bun (resized).jpgbun (resized).jpg
    #459 3 years ago

Peri Peri chicken over charcoal with bourbon soaked us oak.

15 mins should see it done now.

chook1 (resized).jpgchook1 (resized).jpg
    #463 3 years ago

Be chicken and gravy rolls for dinner tonight;

chook2 (resized).jpgchook2 (resized).jpg
    #493 3 years ago

Cold meal for this evening;

cold1 (resized).jpgcold1 (resized).jpg
    #506 3 years ago

Coconut Satay prawns, will be served with cocnut jasmine rice.

No plate pictures to offend.

prawn2 (resized).jpgprawn2 (resized).jpg
    #518 3 years ago

How many pizza recipes do you want?

#520 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

It’s the one thing I never really cooked, living in Chicago area there’s always been a wide range of fabulous options delivered to your door.

You'd definately get sick of seeing the recipe 6 times every page then. Flour, salt, water, yeast.

#527 3 years ago

Sausages and eggs

Fry 2 chicken sausages
    fry two eggs
    slice bread and toast, apply butter
    plate and add bbq sauce of your choosing, salt and pepper.

saus (resized).jpgsaus (resized).jpg
    #535 3 years ago

Used to cook a lot of tagines once upon a time. Haven't bothered the last few years since living alone.
    A good introduction to curries for kids and a great way to use dried fruit in a dish. I still use lots of different dried fruits in curries and other stews since learning to do it in tagines.

#546 3 years ago

That's enough to feed me for 4 days .

#562 3 years ago

Gave my house to my ex and moved a couple yuears ago. Left behind the built in spit, gas cooktop and 4 burner gas bbq that was built into the outdoor kitchen i made, but brought my offset stick burner, Weber charcoal kettle and electric cold smoker.

bbq1 (resized).jpgbbq1 (resized).jpgbbq2 (resized).jpgbbq2 (resized).jpgpergolawall3 (resized).jpgpergolawall3 (resized).jpg
    #566 3 years ago

Any one good with sticky rice in a rice cooker? Did a google and saw some saying soak for 4 hours rinse add some salt coconut milk and water and cook as normal?

#571 3 years ago

Popcorn pork neck in tempura batter. Haven't decided on a sauce yet, but leaning towards my chilli mud crab sauce, goes well with this i know.

poppork1 (resized).jpgpoppork1 (resized).jpg
    #577 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Can you please explain what this is? It looks delicious but when I Googled it I got jack shit.

I just cut some of what i think you guys call money muscle and we call neck or scotch fillet of pork into bite size chunks. Toss in some sauce for tanginess (i used a couple tbsp oyster sauce) and then dip in tempura batter and deep fry till golden.

You can do sweet and sour, honey lemon, plum, black bean or any style sauce you want with it. Works well with chicken too.

Kids will eat plate after plate of it and it only takes 20 mins to make.

#581 3 years ago

Chuck the freezer away, you'll never get the smell out (same for the wife ) )

#600 3 years ago

The popcorn pork with Honey and Lemon sesame sauce and a quick fried rice.

poppork2 (resized).jpgpoppork2 (resized).jpg
    #608 3 years ago

Chicken soup weather here.

Thinking about making some steamed bun dumplings to go with it.

soup1 (resized).jpgsoup1 (resized).jpg
    #617 3 years ago

A mate dropped in and gave me a brined belly from a pig he grew and slaughtered. Yippee, 15lb of bacon coming up. Spose i better save him a slice. If i could have fit it in i could have had a brined ham even bigger he brought with him, too big for my home built smoker.
    bacon1 (resized).jpgbacon1 (resized).jpg

FrozenPizzaReallyPunkin

#620 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Thats one of the traditional norwegian christmas meats right there. Not in form of bacon though, but as a roast with really crispy skin. Mmm.

Lots of ways to use a belly including that, but this is off an older (large) pig. The leg was about 12-15kg.

#621 3 years ago

And into the cold smoker it goes. Wake me up in 3 days.

bacon2 (resized).jpgbacon2 (resized).jpg
    #627 3 years ago

Belly is coming along. Cabinet temp is a rock solid 68C and core temp on the meat is already 47C (aiming for 68C). I'd forgotten how quick bacon goes.

Started the smoke about 7 hours ago with rum soaked french oak sticks, switched to pecan wood about an hour ago and will stop the smoke in a couple hours.

bacon3 (resized).jpgbacon3 (resized).jpg
    #631 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Tell me more about your homebuilt smoker? How do you handle the temperature control? Its electrical, yes?
    Ive built a few hot smokers / bbq through the years, and been thinking about doing something for cold smoking. Lots of delicious stuff that could be cold smoked.

It's the third or fourth one i've built, i used to sell a lot of Jerky so kept building ones that could hold more. This one has 5 stainless shelves or i can hang sausage on dowels. It has three separate controls, one for the extraction fan on the back (used only with jerky) one for the bottom element in the box beloow the main box where the smoke is generated by putting sticks directly on the hotplate, and one for the pie warmer element in the cabinet to control the cab temp.

smokernew10 (resized).jpgsmokernew10 (resized).jpgsmokernew2 (resized).jpgsmokernew2 (resized).jpgsmokernew7 (resized).jpgsmokernew7 (resized).jpg
    #633 3 years ago

I don't do jerky anymore, the topside i used to use is $15 a kilo rather than the $6 a kilo it was by the box full back then. Yes, that's the principle. It went in the fridge last night when i went to bed (was about 50ish degrees) and then back in the smoker at 4am this morning.

I have the smoke generating part switched off now (had 7 or 8 hours of oak followed by pecan smoke so enough), the fan off and i'm controlling one element to keep the cab temp below 70ish. Just want the bacon to reach a food safe temp of over 66C now.

It's just a matter of learning how to drive it, like a BBQ.

Good for fish, prawns etc but can smoke everything from nut's to cheese. Smoked salt is a terrific thing to have in your pantry, brings the BBQ taste to even boiled peas.

This is the last one i made before this model (same principle), here i'm smoking some malt barley to make whiskey.

smokedgrain1 (resized).jpgsmokedgrain1 (resized).jpgsmoker1 (resized).jpgsmoker1 (resized).jpg
    #635 3 years ago

I don't operate stills as a hobby now, i do it as a business.

www.stilldragon.com.au

But this was a few of the ones i learn't on;

1gonzo7 (resized).JPG1gonzo7 (resized).JPG1gonzo8 (resized).JPG1gonzo8 (resized).JPG3inchvmoperating2 (resized).jpg3inchvmoperating2 (resized).jpggonzolution2 (resized).jpggonzolution2 (resized).jpggonzolution6 (resized).jpggonzolution6 (resized).jpggonzomk41 (resized).jpggonzomk41 (resized).jpg
    #636 3 years ago

Bacon up to 55C now, looking good fully smoked.

bacon4 (resized).jpgbacon4 (resized).jpg
    #647 3 years ago

Chilli pork pie.

pie1 (resized).jpgpie1 (resized).jpgpie2 (resized).jpgpie2 (resized).jpg
    #653 3 years ago

Sunday night pasta. not bothering to make the pasta for one person, but the bacon is home made.

pasta1 (resized).jpgpasta1 (resized).jpg

PlateFreePictureBroughtToYouByPunkinPunkin

#663 3 years ago

Chicken and chippees for dinner.

cc1 (resized).jpgcc1 (resized).jpg
    #666 3 years ago

Tempura King Prawns, Hot and sweet curry sauce and coconut rice.

AnotherNonPlatedPictureViaPunkinPunkin

pr1 (resized).jpgpr1 (resized).jpg

#667 3 years ago

Relented and showed a plated meal.

pr2 (resized).jpgpr2 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #703 3 years ago

Technique.

#706 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

You are tekneeq, punkin

It's true. It's about the oval shape and the way it's kneaded onto the flat of the skewer blade. youtube it if you doubt. But i have nothing to win, i know how to do it.

1 week later
    #716 3 years ago

Pork knuckle, Schweinshaxe for the Germans.

knuck1 (resized).jpgknuck1 (resized).jpg
    #718 3 years ago

It's funny, it's like you guys are just discovering the aussie way to BBQ and we are just finding the US style BBQ. Offsets have only really started appearing here the last ten years or so, before that (and still now) every house has a BBQ that you guys call a grill with flatop. Either 4 or 6 burner.

That's all you can buy in most stores here.

#731 3 years ago

Warning, NSFW (notsafeforwimps) but multiple food crimes ahead!

Deep fried packet shit from the supermarket with bottled sauces. Served on paper no less.

dfs1 (resized).jpgdfs1 (resized).jpg
    #736 3 years ago

Some pixies came to my shed this morning while i was working down the back. I haven't checked the camera's 'cause i know they won't show.

But there was this;

pix1 (resized).jpgpix1 (resized).jpg

pix2 (resized).jpgpix2 (resized).jpg

#743 3 years ago

Also cooked chicken soup yesterday, what a top meal. bread looks good.

#751 3 years ago

Sous vide at 54C for 20 mins then throw on the smoker for 10 mins? That's how i'd do it anyway.

#764 3 years ago

I was already in quarantine, i don't like people much.

#768 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

He didnt cook the lobsters in a bag in water!

I thought we sorted you out on that issue last time. It's another way of transferring heat to protein, get over it.

Quoted from DaveH:

I officially hate you. Now I need to order a Sous vide thing, and bags, and all kinds of junk. The lobster started it, but they say that steaks come out better, so of course I have to try it now.

I don't believe there's a better wat to cook a steak. i haven't done the reverse sear, so can't comment either way on that. But get a big tomohawk steak two inches thick like the one a few posts above, put it in a bag with some pepper, a little oil and some thyme or oregano and cook at 54C for 2 hours then seer on a red hot grill or blowtorch.

Put it up against a steak cooked any other way and i'll tell you which is which from the photos when it's cut.

I've had at least 5 people tell me it's the best steak they've ever eaten.

The vac sealer is one of the handiest things you can have in your house. Buy bulk meat and put a single serve in a small freezer bag then put 4 or 5 in a vac bag. Each time you take a serve out reseal the vac bag. Meat will stay good for years.
    Use it for coffee, even your pot.

#771 3 years ago

One of us uses the method and the other knows little about it. I'm happy being on my side of the fence and you are happy being where you are.

Can you tell me how you formed your view that the use of sous vide is not what i think it is? Have some links to information that may get me to sell my machine?
    Not trying to start an argument, just wondering how you came to your dismissive view and what it consists of. Maybe i'm the one who doesn't understand.

#777 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I guess your talking to golfingdad? Or is it me? English beeing my third language its not always easy for me with everything.

No golfing dad

Quoted from golfingdad1:

You present it as if " Its the Only and the Best " way to essentially cook anything pork, beef,mutton ,camel, seafood. and any other way is a waste of time .

I'm sorry you've misunderstood me to such an extent.

I use many ways of cooking, i have cast iron Lodge pans, an offset stick burner, deep fryer, cold smoker, charcoal weber, oven etc. I choose the best method for the cut, the time i have available and the outcome i want.

I believe after cooking steak a lot of ways that a thick, tender, rare steak can not be cooked the same way evenly through from the edge to the center any other way. I'll put money against a well cooked sous vide steak against any other method.

I also believe that the way you can ever so slightly undercook seafood but all the way through gives it a texture that i can't acheive any other way, although i'm sure an accomplished chef could. Garlic prawns in pasta is a very good demonstration of this and if you've ever eaten juicy tender prawns with a texture you can chew till it's gone at a restaraunt i'd suggest that this was how they were cooked behind that swinging door.

I've made these judgements by experimenting and cooking different protiens in a large variety of different manners and have come to my personal favourites for most.

Ribs (beef and pork, but beef especially), which you stated can only be cooked one way, have a wondeful texture when cooked sous vide and finished off in the stick burner. They are also good just smoked as well, but i will generally use the sous vide so i only have to watch the smoker for half an hour instead of all day.

Fried foods are better cooked in a fryer, eggs are better scrambled with cream etc.

I've posted many photos of food here and few of them have been sous vide.

You immediately put down any notion of sous vide and i believe it's through ignorance and superstition, not through experience and experimentation. I believe this as you called it 'boiled meat' and that is not how it works.

If you are talking from knowledge I invite you once again to link, post photos or comparisons where you have gained the practice and experience to be able to judge..

https://kathleenflinn.com/sous-vide-vs-grilled-steak/#:~:text=The%20sous%20vide%20steak%20had,on%20the%20sous%20vide%20steak.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/why-sous-vide-is-the-best-way-to-cook-a-steak-period-w470472/

sv (resized).jpgsv (resized).jpg
    #779 3 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Sous vide is good with thick cuts of meat. I think the best thing I’ve cooked sous vide is corn beef brisket, 48 hours at 140F. Best corned beef ever.

I've done a hand of pickled pork but i don't know that it was better, i preferred the pork the way my ex used to simmer, but that may be just because i was used to it (or she's a better cook than me).

#785 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Aah, oh. Damn.
    Fuck, strange. Now I get it. Corned as in corn fed? Since forever Ive thought it meant something else. Dunno where I got the idea it came in tin cans either. I guess it might be some early pop culture reference gone syntax error. I get alot of those, unfortunately.

No corned as in pumped with a saline brine. bit different to the brine used for bacon and ham, but still sodium nitrite based. It's then usually simmered with vegetables to make a tender lunch meat. often served with white sauce and boiled vegies.

Quoted from DaveH:

The funny part is, I had the opposite reaction as soon as I saw it. I looked it up and thought, hmmmm, I REALLY want to try that. I grilled up some really yummy steaks yesterday, but my consistency is a little off. Sometimes I'm perfect, and other days, I just miss a little. Still yummy as all heck and the whole fam damily eats happy, but I am always striving for that perfect steak. Personally I don't care if I have to cook it in unicorn pee as long as it is yummy.
    So I'm going to order this stuff, and then I'll cook a steak with it, and fling it on a hot bbq to sear. Then ... OH, I have a couple questions...
    Info: I'll be trying this with NY Sirloin (still my favorite steak):
    Resting. Do you rest it a different amount of time when you cook it like this?
    Trimming. Do you trim it any different? Less fat, more fat?

You don't need to rest at all as the meat hasn't been shocked and doesn't have to relax. Trimming doesn't matter either in my opinion, you can trim just the same and the temps for steak are not enough to melt the outer fat, just the internal stuff.

Other people may be able to advise better then me.

The best resource for recipes, temps and methods that go into wide ranging detail and experiment with different temps and times is Serious Eats;

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

I tend to trust most things i read on that site unless it jars with personal experience.

#787 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Cheers jaybird815 punkin and rvh Everyday I learn something.

You are welcome. Knowledge is no burden to carry.

#791 3 years ago

This years nod to the existence of the cow. Beef in black bean with stir fried noodles. Bit of Sichuan influence just because i miss Chengdu and wish i could go back every year.

It's only got beef in it cause i won some steak in a meat tray at the raffles.

bb1 (resized).jpgbb1 (resized).jpg
    #794 3 years ago

Not my pic mate, just got it from google images. I wasn't trying to post proof as the proof is subjective. Just my views and experiences and those others have expressed to me.

#797 3 years ago

Shit yeah, they are $200+ here in Australia.

For your first try i'd suggest beef ribs. 68C for 36 hours before a short smoke on the smoker for 1/2-1 hr.

You'll get a win with the family and the confidence to play around more. A lot of the cooking forums suggest confit duck and eggs and stuff to learn, but the ribs or prawns or steak are always a hit and easy.

Seafood 54C 20mins
    Steak 54C (depending on your preference) 2 hours.

Buttered potatoes whole small peeled spuds, 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp olive oil, sprig of rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper. 87C 1 hr

#799 3 years ago

Best way to max it out i've found is a 5gal cooler. It still sits steady as a rock in that volume and you can fit 10-20lb of food in there.

Bit of foil around the gap seals it but you could do it much less ghetto than i have if you wished, fill the lid with foam or some such.

sv3 (resized).jpgsv3 (resized).jpg

sv4 (resized).jpgsv4 (resized).jpg

#812 3 years ago

If you use flax seed oil (linseed oil food grade) it gives a much better result than other vegetable oils because of it's higher temp tolerance and one cycle will be enough to get you started usually.

Hard to find in Australia but our little town has a large Sikh population so the Indian Grocery has food grade Linseed oil.

#815 3 years ago

Nice pickup. There's two models, one uses wifi and one uses blue tooth. Check youtube or the Anova site on how to overide and set manually, you'll have far less trouble, simple and foolproof.

An insulated tub like a cooler will be much more stable and cheaper to run.

#819 3 years ago

I hear that story quite often.

#849 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

ok so I am going to do my first sous vide soon. I want to make barbacoa and like the recipe on sous vide everything on youtube. I will be doing my with chuck steak instead of short ribs. in the video he cooked it for 24 hours at 180 or 185. does it really need to cook that long? should I sear the meat on the grill before bagging? do I need to double bag?

Just remember that;

temperature = doneness

Time = texture

So if you want a medium steak set it to 54C. If you want it to be a beautiful texture to the tooth, set it for 2 hours. If you haven't got any teeth, set it for 20.

Quoted from golfingdad1:

Yep !!!
    Meat in bag in luke warm water , not my style .
    Much rather be on the patio tending the smoker and drinking beers playing pins with friends and family all day long .
    Not sure how a 12 hour smoke is more work than a 36 hour Jacuzzi.

To put ribs on for 36 hours, it takes 5 mins to put them in a bag, 5 mins to set the anova and then 5 mins a day and a half later to take them out. 10 mins to sear.

So a 36 hour cook takes 25 mins of attention.
    ]
    A 12 hour cook on my offset stick burner probably takes 10mins attention per hour, even with the bluetooth temp probe.
    So thats 2 hours of attention (not counting the prep).

That's how it's more work.

Doesn't mean i don't use the smoker sometimes, but having more tools in the tool box is a good thing that i am not afraid of. As i said earlier, knowledge is no burden to carry.

I can cook ribs in the oven, camp cooker, deep fryer, slow cooker, stew pot, i can wrap them in banana leaves and bury them in hot rocks in the ground, there's heaps of different ways. And restricting yourself on some made up rule seems pretty stupid.

#851 3 years ago

Good for defrosting and reheating, another tool. I can't think of anything i'd actually cook in it offhand though.

#853 3 years ago

Serious eats food lab is my go to, i pointed it out to you already.

Here's your 2 lb chuck

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-smoked-barbecue-bbq-beef-chuck-recipe.html

Here's some more beefy stuff

https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/sous-vide-beef-recipes

I'm assuming this is your desired result?

sous-vide-barbecue-chuck-07 (resized).jpgsous-vide-barbecue-chuck-07 (resized).jpg

#860 3 years ago

Chinese chicken and ham rolls.

chr2 (resized).jpgchr2 (resized).jpg

chr1 (resized).jpgchr1 (resized).jpg

#862 3 years ago

Was just thinking the weather must have changed over there and people aren't showing pizza photos lately this morn.

#864 3 years ago

Surfing sous vide this morning here.

Some guy called Emeril

https://www.emerils.com/130973/simple-sous-vide-steak

Some sheila called Cat

Someone copying a guy called Heston

Another sheila, this ones called Martha

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1930990093873610

Some random people who seem to know what they are on about on the subject of sous vide

https://www.quora.com/What-do-professional-chefs-think-of-the-sous-vide-method

Haven't seen a chef talk about soaking a soggy bag in tepid water yet, i'll keep looking.

#866 3 years ago
    wm (resized).jpgwm (resized).jpg
    #873 3 years ago

They just contract up the bone, the meaty bit gets thicker.

#880 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Desalinated?

Rinsed for us poor people.

#893 3 years ago

Toad in a hole or whatever you want to call eggs fried in a piece of bread.

The grandkids always wanted french toast which is essentially the same thing without the hole and without the pleasure of a soft yolk. Young and stupid.

edit, Sorry got beat to the punch.

#896 3 years ago

Yes, it's a very nice countertop. What is that pattern called?

#903 3 years ago

Firing up the Weber today, China nostalgia has hit and i'm doing Xinjiang Skewers from the north, round Beijing and Jinan. Substituting the lamb for pork as i don't have any lamb in the freezer.

These things are fantastic and you eat them on small plastic stools in an alley at a table usually. cooked over charcoal and you order them by the 20 or 50. When your meal is finished they charge you for how many you've eaten.

https://omnivorescookbook.com/xinjiang-lamb-skewers/

sk1 (resized).jpgsk1 (resized).jpg
    #904 3 years ago
    sk2 (resized).jpgsk2 (resized).jpg
    #906 3 years ago

Pity i can't post a scratch'n'sniff. The smell of the cumin and Sichuan pepper on the coals as you sprinkle is exceptional.

sk3 (resized).jpgsk3 (resized).jpg

sk4 (resized).jpgsk4 (resized).jpg

#921 3 years ago

Gotta stop packing my own lunch. I end up with the same thing 7 days a week. Maybe it should be in the weed thread?

lunch1 (resized).jpglunch1 (resized).jpg

#922 3 years ago

Chilli salt fish for dinner.

4 parts plain flour
    1 part chilli powder
    1 part good salt

put it all in a bag and shake.

cs1 (resized).jpgcs1 (resized).jpg

#924 3 years ago

Nice, professional style. I've got a heavy duty semi pro job, but still channel bags though.

vacsealer1 (resized).jpgvacsealer1 (resized).jpg

#926 3 years ago

Bags will be cheaper in the long run for you, plus you can easily do marinades and stuff.
    My one will do marinades too, but you have to keep an eye on it and switch to seal before it comes through the channels.

Great bit of kit and i'd be jealous if i still used mine as much as i used to.

#932 3 years ago

If it's overdone it's temperature related, if it's texture is mushy it's overdone in time.

So if the texture was too your liking don't change the time, lower the temp or sear hotter and quicker. A thick steak helps 1.5-2".

#949 3 years ago

Chilli salt is the in thing here.

cs2 (resized).jpgcs2 (resized).jpg

cs3 (resized).jpgcs3 (resized).jpg

cs4 (resized).jpgcs4 (resized).jpg

Fuck, looks like i can put food on a plate.

#954 3 years ago

Not fish, cephalopod, that's a Calamari squid (or 3 of them).

#955 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

what a minute.....do I see what I think I am seeing????? Punkin didn't use a paper plate???? This is one messed up year!!!!

I do treat myself if it's something special occasionally. In this case i treated you guys and even bought a lettuce for decoration (although i did eat it to stave off scurvy).

#958 3 years ago

Hey! You stole my lunch!

You must pack your own lunch too, my ex would never pack me that, always fucking sandwiches.

Posted in the view from your window thread earlier in the week.

lunch1 (resized).jpglunch1 (resized).jpg

#959 3 years ago

Another pork knuckle, what can i say, it's an easy roast for one and enough left overs to make a meat pie for tomorrow.

This time with garlic and pepper rather than caraway.

knuck2 (resized).jpgknuck2 (resized).jpg
    #964 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Is that what we call pork shoulder in the states?

No the shoulder is on the front leg, under it is the hand. on the back leg is the ham and under it is the knuckle.

It's a small piece and a big eater would get through one. i get three or four goes at one.

#966 3 years ago
    Quoted from jester523:

The lid was chipped, and I contacted weber and they are sending me an entirely new lid. Thats some crazy customer service.

yeah, it's the difference tween a $500 piece and a $50 repro.

#968 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm curious what you guys pay for meat around the world? I'm usually a deal shopper and when deals come on I stock up. Here's some recent good deals.
    Pork shoulder .99/lbs
    Chicken breast 2.00/lbs frozen
    Rib eye 5.99/lbs
    Pork tenderloin 1.77/lbs
    Ground beef $1.00/lbs frozen

2.2lb of your US lb to a kilo.

Pork shoulder $6-8kg ($3.18)
    Chicken breast $8-10 kg frozen ($4.10)
    Rib eye $16-24kg ($9.10)
    Pork tenderloin $16kg (7.30)
    Ground beef $10+kg ($4.55)

Add cooked prawns $25-45 kg
    fresh white fish $25 45 kg
    mud crabs $50-70 kg

#976 3 years ago

You did better than me, you converted the $ as well. My figures are aussie dinah's which at the moment only buy $0.67c US So $10au = $13 or $14us.

I think the difference in the retail or wholesale prices are due to quantity in part as the US has 10X the citizens, but also due to (dare i mention it) subsidies. We don't pay our farmers to grow crops.

#979 3 years ago

Lunch again, you'd think i'd be sick of it by now, but nooooo.

Lucky i work for myself or i'd be out of a job. maybe another stern talking to?

lunch2 (resized).jpglunch2 (resized).jpg

#980 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I would gladly pay those prices to have the benefits you have. I’d be eating a lot of shrimp for sure.

Agreed, I've only been to Oslo, but what a beautiful part of Scandinavia.

The two trolls snuck into my suitcase and have been hanging round my house for nearly 40 years now.

troll1 (resized).jpgtroll1 (resized).jpg

#982 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

You should visit my home region, in northern Sweden, and fill your belly with elk, smoked whitefish and cloudberries.

Yes, i've been to Northern Sweden, my girlfriends family was from Göteborg, but had a summer house in the north by the sea. Spent a few weeks there watching the sun not set.

I don't remember trying the wild food, but i do know i loved the simplicity (and the skål) of the food. I also know that I've been looking for that black bread ever since i got back to Australia unsuccessfully.

#986 3 years ago

Full size lighter, small lungs.

#998 3 years ago

Don't need youtube for pasta, it's just good '00' flour, eggs and salt. Olive oil if you want to upset a purist.

And as said, it's unbelievably better (and cooks in 2 min). Try it for a lasagna and never look back. Next thing you know you'll be making ravioli.

Tagliatelle is my go to, hand cut into 1" strips.

#999 3 years ago

Lunch is vegemite sandwiches again....

vegsand1 (resized).jpgvegsand1 (resized).jpg

#1000 3 years ago

The thing that really gets me into cooking is the way you can feed a family for nothing.

$5 pork roast for one hungry person turned into a roast dinner for me, then a pie that will feed me twice and my neighbour twice.

knuck3 (resized).jpgknuck3 (resized).jpg

knuck4 (resized).jpgknuck4 (resized).jpg

#1008 3 years ago

Steak sandwiches for all and pinball and beer.

ss1 (resized).jpgss1 (resized).jpg

#1011 3 years ago

Another drunken dinner. Toasted muffins with Serrano ham, pickles and mozzarella.

dd1 (resized).jpgdd1 (resized).jpg

SorryNoMoneyShotPunkin

#1013 3 years ago

Back at ya, though it's 8 am here so i haven't got a cheers.

Just thought i'd let you know, you're pet shrunken baseball player escaped while you were taking that photo. Maybe shut all the doors and put a tiny hotdog and a small beer on the floor under a propped up box?

#1036 3 years ago

My fish connection turned up here at home with a box of fish yesti.

Catch of the day is Goldentail Snapper fillets. 5kg (~11lb) sleeved and snap frozen, 13 big fillets. Should see me good for close to thirty meals with some loose change from $100. I don't eat much at a sitting. Firm white fish at less then $5 a serve? Yes please.

cod1 (resized).jpgcod1 (resized).jpg

#1041 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

We dont get snapper around here, but bbq (whole) snapper.. Fantastic. Only ever eaten it in Thailand though, together with prik nam pla and rice. Awesome.
    How do you cook your filets punkin?

We get quite a few snapper species in Australia, including this one, but these fillets came from a factory ship off vietnam i'm guessing.

I don't like whole fish cooked like that at all, spoilt for boneless now a days.

I'll usually do a tempura or beer batter, panko crumb (occasionally) or if i'm feeling lazy just a chilli salt flour coating. There's a pick of that a couple pages back with the recipe.

If i catch it myself or have been given some fish the day it was caught i'll very often do Nummus. A cured fish salad or even sashimi. Used to always carry a little pack in my esky in the boat with a sharp knife, wasabi and soy and we'd eat the fish off the top of the cooler.

Went looking for a Nummus pic in this cooking thread. 40 pages of actual cooking where there's not a paper plate to be seen. Never got that far back.

Here's a couple of random teasers.

https://www.stilldragon.org/discussion/1274/foodie-the-food-thread-for-our-food-lovers/p1

sous vide steak

sous4 (resized).jpgsous4 (resized).jpg

Ribs and fatty

bbq3 (resized).jpgbbq3 (resized).jpg

Jerky

jerky1 (resized).jpgjerky1 (resized).jpg

Cajun spiced crocodile and chips

croc (resized).jpgcroc (resized).jpg

I know repeats are cheating, sorry.

#1043 3 years ago

mans heart (resized).jpgmans heart (resized).jpg

#1055 3 years ago

Spent yesterday afternoon binging on 40 pages of cooking photos on the link i put up last page. Memories of some great meals.

Did salt and pepper fish, got some late season ocean school prawnss and peeled them, added periperi sauce and green jalepeno sauce.

fish1 (resized).jpgfish1 (resized).jpg

Not many desert pics here. Orange and sea salt;

fish2 (resized).jpgfish2 (resized).jpg

#1056 3 years ago

Last couple or rehashed pics from the binge;

Homemade chacuterie plate, curing meat was my hobby for a long time;

charc1 (resized).jpgcharc1 (resized).jpg

Satay prawns over charcoal, bacon wrapped a saragus and homemade peanut sauce;

prawn3 (resized).jpgprawn3 (resized).jpg

Home Brined ham done on the offset as an experiment instaed of in my cold smoker. Worked a treat;

ham (resized).jpgham (resized).jpg

#1061 3 years ago

It's so simple to do in the oven perfectly if you take the skin off first.

#1063 3 years ago

Sorry, never tried.

#1067 3 years ago

Prep done for tonight's Bang Bang chicken.

bang1 (resized).jpgbang1 (resized).jpg

#1069 3 years ago

https://thewoksoflife.com/bang-bang-chicken-sichuan/

It's not the westernised version, closer to what i ate in Chengdu i'd say (without the internal organs and little fucking bones).

#1071 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Sounds tasty

Yeah, i adjusted that recipe as i went, some of the ingredient amounts are wrong. Who can eat 1.5 tablespoons of sesame oil in 1/2 cup of stock?

Nowhere near enough chili either. I'll put 4 in along with the chili oil, sichuan peppercorns and dried chili (which wasn't listed either) it's gotta have enough chili's to make it crunchy.

#1073 3 years ago

Fantastic job, love ravioli.

Hand cut tagliatelle rules. Big one inch wide strips cut rough with a knife.

I know it takes ages and makes a mess the first time you do it, but after 8 or 10 times it's quick, easy and little mess. The mouth feel is incredible and why pasta is famous in parts of the world rather than just filling kids food.

#1075 3 years ago

Shame, all the beautiful mushrooms you guys have over there and you're eating agaricus.

Mushrooms were my hobby before charcuterie.

currentgrow12.9.10 (resized).jpgcurrentgrow12.9.10 (resized).jpg

flowhood7 (resized).jpgflowhood7 (resized).jpg

kingoysters3 (resized).jpgkingoysters3 (resized).jpg

lionsmane5 (resized).jpglionsmane5 (resized).jpg

whitekings2 (resized).jpgwhitekings2 (resized).jpg

#1077 3 years ago

Even chickens are tasty when grown at home.

#1084 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Those are the strangest looking Cubensis I have ever seen.

Not since the 80's.

Bang Bang Chicken

bang2 (resized).jpgbang2 (resized).jpg

bang3 (resized).jpgbang3 (resized).jpg

#1091 3 years ago

Used to do the same thing a few times a year when i had room for vegies. Makes a great gift for any visitor.

#1099 3 years ago

Ohhhh fancy coloured paper plate. Well lardy fuckin dah.

#1102 3 years ago

Inspired, doing bbq prawns today, thanks.

#1107 3 years ago
    Quoted from jalkelly:

I was intimidated by raw shrimp for the longest time so always bought frozen, not really sure why....the problem I always had with frozen was never thinking to thaw them in time.
    I marinate mine for an hr before grilling and always come out perfect.
    For 1 lb:
    3 TB olive oil
    3 cloves garlic
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2-3 mins per side on high heat with shell on is fool proof!

Thanks, have done them many, many times. when they get this big you can split them and still cook over charcoal;

prawn4 (resized).jpgprawn4 (resized).jpg

#1110 3 years ago

jalkelly inspired BBQ seafood. Little smear of Jimmy's. Best sate sauce in the world.

prawn5 (resized).jpgprawn5 (resized).jpg

#1112 3 years ago

Yeah i can't eat frozen and defrosted crab because it changes the texture so much (local crabs here) but as far as fish or prawns go i can't tell the difference. You can still get fresh green prawns here, but that's only because i live 1/4 mile from the coast. inland it's more difficult. I often get mine from the supermarket and they are nearly always defrosted.

I'll sometimes ask them to go out back and get me a bunch of still frozen ones if i don't want to cook them same day.

#1114 3 years ago

Will be served with sliced red chilli, crushed cashews and lime.

prawn6 (resized).jpgprawn6 (resized).jpg

prawn7 (resized).jpgprawn7 (resized).jpg

prawn8 (resized).jpgprawn8 (resized).jpg

#1120 3 years ago

Compound butter;

butter1 (resized).jpgbutter1 (resized).jpg

butter2 (resized).jpgbutter2 (resized).jpg

#1124 3 years ago

Yeahhh for compound butter;

1kg plus 1 ounce went in and 690gm's came out.

butt2 (resized).jpgbutt2 (resized).jpg

butt3 (resized).jpgbutt3 (resized).jpg

butt4 (resized).jpgbutt4 (resized).jpg

#1127 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Pardon my ignorance, please elaborate on the herbs?
    Or does it go w/o saying?

Well, lets say i could have chosen another thread here to post those photo's.

The process is much simpler for parsley butter. This one took all afternoon.

#1129 3 years ago

Googled that system, you must have a shop or feed a small community. It's a lot of kitchen real estate to cook fried chicken. Bet it comes up a treat with practice though. 5 chickens at a time eh?

#1131 3 years ago

Cool. We don't see them here outside of shops.

#1133 3 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

I thought about it for 10 years and said what the hell.

I was the same, what you guys call there blackstones, but i wanted a commercial gas one for my kitchen. Was overruled again and again. Glad i don't have to ask permission to do things anymore, but by the same token i cook for one now and don't really NEED it. May look into it anyway, fuck it.

cooktop (resized).jpgcooktop (resized).jpg
    #1138 3 years ago

Brownies with 150gm of compound butter. No kid's, you can't lick the bowl this time.

butt5 (resized).jpgbutt5 (resized).jpg

Perfect;

butt6 (resized).jpgbutt6 (resized).jpg

IfIDon'tPostTommorowYouKnowWhatHappenedPunkin

#1139 3 years ago

Toasted sandwich last night for the munchies, serrano, pide bread, mozzarella and herbs.

sand1 (resized).jpgsand1 (resized).jpg

sand2 (resized).jpgsand2 (resized).jpg

sand3 (resized).jpgsand3 (resized).jpg

#1142 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Now I understand.

Even costed it out;
    $170 worth of ingredients made enough butter to do almost 6 batches
    45 serves per batch

$0.62 per serve.

A brave person will eat two serves by the way.

#1144 3 years ago

It's a packet mix mate.

To make the butter carbolize for 1 hr at 110C in the oven (i used a bbq probe to not runaway) then add to a suacepan with 1kg of salted butter and 4 cups of water. Simmer slowly for 3-4 hours adding more water if needed. Google will show you anyway.

#1146 3 years ago

Yeah mate just google canabutter. You need to activate it, so under 115C and over 110C for 30-50 mins, ground up (you can see it on the oven tray in one of the pics).

Then you need to keep the temp below 250F in the saucepan apparently and that is what the water does. Strain through a cloth and refrigerate. Tip out the water from under the set butter.

I choose packet mixes that are rich in butter, this ones 150gm, but i couldn't do my homemade gooey choc chip cookie recipe, it takes 250gm, you'd only need half a cookie.

UnllesYou'reTommyChongPunkin

Note; obviously you can't do this if you have kids at home. Freezer full of yummy slice and a slight distraction could be the worst moment of your life.

#1147 3 years ago

Working towards a tempura seafood basket. Green Kings, Ling and Calamari squid.

sfb1 (resized).jpgsfb1 (resized).jpg

sfb2 (resized).jpgsfb2 (resized).jpg

#1153 3 years ago

The Anova was the gun choice when i bought mine, i haven't researched them since, but it does everything you'd want.

#1160 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

For the best omelette and scrambled eggs, use a few drops of water when you whisk

Scrambled eggs has cream.

#1162 3 years ago

Cool, i'm a bit of a stickler with scrambled eggs.

#1164 3 years ago

Exceptional, thanks.

#1167 3 years ago

Flame roast those over a gas grill, put them in a plastic bag for 10 mins and rub the burnt skin off. make a mix of salt, black pepper a couple of cloves of raw garlic.You can add a dash of balsamic too if you like.
    Take the tops and the seeds out and slice into 4 before mixing in the oil.

Serve as a side salad/antipasto. They keep for a week or more in the fridge.

#1178 3 years ago

Bax nailed it, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. You can put some fine grated lemon or lime rind in there too.

#1181 3 years ago

Sous vide garlic prawns and buttered herb potatoes.

Spuds are in for an hour at 87C. I'll let the water cool down after and stick the spud bag in the fridge then do the prawns at 54C for 20mins.

prawn9 (resized).jpgprawn9 (resized).jpg

prawn10 (resized).jpgprawn10 (resized).jpg

#1188 3 years ago

I think prawns and lobster are one of the best proteins to show off or take advantage of what a sous vide offers. 20 mins at 54C will get you a texture and plumpness that i haven't got any other way.

prawn11 (resized).jpgprawn11 (resized).jpg

#1206 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

So got a question for those not in the states. What kind of charcoal do you use for smoking?

I use lump charcoal, gidgee is the wood it's made from. Also have a stick burner which i use pecan wood in.

charcoal2 (resized).jpgcharcoal2 (resized).jpg

#1215 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone care to share their favorite marinade for chicken recipe? I've got a bunch of breasts for shiskabobs tomorrow. Thanks

Sauce makes a big batch and goes fine in a tupperware in the freezer. Make the marinade and the sauce base in a food processor. I like it hot so i use tabaco, dried and freesh chilis and chilli oil.

Singapore Satay;
    Marinade meat in minced ingredients;
    2 cloves garlic
    2 onions
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp ginger
    4 tbsp sugar
    2 stalks lemon grass
    1 tbsp oil

Satay Sauce;
    Mince 4 red chillies, 2 cloves garlic, 2 onions. Heat 2 tbsp peanut oil, cook mince till tender. Add 185 gms peanut butter, 2 tbsp lemon juice, stir, add water, 2 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt. Cook until thick.

#1217 3 years ago

Sorry i posted satay which is from south Asia.

Here you go, just sub your chopped breast for the drumsticks.

Piri Piri Chicken Drumsticks.

Roll 2kg drumsticks in oil, toss in a plastic bag with;
    2 tsp salt, ½ tsp cinamon, 1.5 tsp sugar, ½ tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, ½ tsp chilli flakes, .75 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried oregano, 4 tbsp plain flour.
    Shake till coated and hang on rack to abke in 160C oven till cooked. About 1 - 1.5 hours.

#1225 3 years ago

Spent a little cash on my lunch bags last week. Quite enjoying it i have to say.

lunch5 (resized).jpglunch5 (resized).jpg

#1229 3 years ago

Chicken Fried Rice, i'll be cleaning pinball glass as always when i have the wok going in the shed.

cfr1 (resized).jpgcfr1 (resized).jpg

cfr2 (resized).jpgcfr2 (resized).jpg

cfr3 (resized).jpgcfr3 (resized).jpg

#1236 3 years ago

Or speed up the process by feeding the chicken to the dog.

#1238 3 years ago

Yippee, i'm so doing that coco/chook.

#1241 3 years ago

This is as close as i got to eating yesterday before the drugs kicked in. Maybe get to try my coco/chook today;

chick1 (resized).jpgchick1 (resized).jpg

#1243 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

good thing you didn't eat those lol

No food has passed my lips for 36 hours.

Glad i have a fridge full of 'up and go'.

#1253 3 years ago

Satay prawns over the charcoal is the plan. Got some pork ribs marinating in chilli and sweet plum to go in a bath tomoz.

prawn12 (resized).jpgprawn12 (resized).jpg

#1254 3 years ago

Had the charcoal on anyway so threw the ribs on fairly fast and hot to grill.

prawn13 (resized).jpgprawn13 (resized).jpg

ribs7 (resized).jpgribs7 (resized).jpg

#1255 3 years ago

Yeppers

ribs8 (resized).jpgribs8 (resized).jpg

#1269 3 years ago

BBQ pork buns are my death row meal. Only if i make them though.

I can eat 10+ of em in a sitting. I like a sweet sauce, chilli plum and ginger is great.

#1270 3 years ago

wings, thought i'd save the rainforests and deplete the earth instead

wing1 (resized).jpgwing1 (resized).jpg

#1274 3 years ago

High functioning alcoholics surf and turf.

11am and the home butchered pork belly is going over lump charcoal with a quick and dirty rub.
    Sous vide buttered herb potato's going on for an hour at 87C now, and local fresh prawns.

Easy heat tonight for the meat and spuds, put a garlic bread on and done. Serving a couple of mates tonight too.

sandt1 (resized).jpgsandt1 (resized).jpg

#1275 3 years ago

Halfway there. spuds are done. Anyone who likes boiled or steamed potatoes would love these. some duck fat, butter and olive oil are all that's in these ones. no outside water watering down the potato flavour.

sandt2 (resized).jpgsandt2 (resized).jpg

Pork belly has been slow cooking with the lid on for an hour, just opening it up now to get some colour and finish it off for another hour or so.

sandt3 (resized).jpgsandt3 (resized).jpg

DinnerDoneBeforeNoonPunkin

#1276 3 years ago

Speaking of noon, must be lunchtime.

lunch6 (resized).jpglunch6 (resized).jpg

#1288 3 years ago

Going to a mates place to watch the fights tonight, all home made chacuterie plate and home made honey cashews.

plate1 (resized).jpgplate1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1304 3 years ago

Thinking hot dogs with spicy sausage....

hd1 (resized).jpghd1 (resized).jpg

#1308 3 years ago

How to turn a $15 steak into a sub. Start with a 1.5" rib eye, bit of garlic, some peppercorns and chilli oil. Sous vide at 54.5C for 2 hours.

sandw1 (resized).jpgsandw1 (resized).jpg

To be continued, but it may not be today. Molly came for lunch.

#1313 3 years ago

Finally got around to the rib eye sub. Oyster mushrooms, onions and oyster sauce fried up. To good not to share.

sub3 (resized).jpgsub3 (resized).jpg

#1320 3 years ago

Chicken fried fish and oyster mushrooms with purchased mini spring rolls.

fish3 (resized).jpgfish3 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1331 3 years ago

Drunk and stoned chicken and chips

chip1 (resized).jpgchip1 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #1355 3 years ago

I like sweet and salty out of all the imbalances (lemon slice biscuits, salted caramel, fruit with salt, fries dipped in thick shakes) but i think that's a bit to get my head around. Kids would love it as it appeals to their sense of adventure.

#1362 3 years ago

Bit of fish with some mushrooms and black bean sauce. I'll put it together with some rice later tonight when i'm good and drunk.

fish4 (resized).jpgfish4 (resized).jpg

fish5 (resized).jpgfish5 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1375 3 years ago

I made friends with a guy who has a Thai wife. Always enjoyed cooking Thai food, but now i'm learning how to make my favourite dishes authentically.
    Starting with my favourite last week, Jungle Curry. She wouldn't come over and cook it for me until she could find finger root. Most online recipes don't even call for it, but she say's you can't cook it without it. Bought a kilo of fresh small green pepper corns on the vine for the same dish, split them up into small bags and have enough frozen to last her and me a year or more.
    She also did a massaman curry, pad thai, tom yum and rice all in an hour and a half. Great day and left food here for me for a week.

Next time i'll take photo's.

Probably should go in the confessions thread (it needs some actual confessions lately), but I'm scared to make a dipping sauce in front of her. I've showed chefs how to balance a Thai dipping sauce, but i'm going to pretend i don't know how to make one.

#1377 3 years ago

Didn't take much notice of that as she cooked it on someone else's request. the Jungle curry was the only one i was really interested in, although the fish tom yum was fantastic as well.

#1379 3 years ago

Jungle curry is fucking hot. More like a soup than a traditional curry (no coconut milk). I order pet, pet pet when i order in Thailand or from a Thai restaurant here, so it's Thai sytle fucking hot, not western style. you guys from North America should be good with it as you handle chillies better than most westerners.

This is the only one i could find with the fingerroot she said had to be in it,

https://www.infusioncookingclassessamui.com/post/2016/11/07/jungle-curry-a-vegan-recipe-inspired-by-the-hills-of-northern-thailand

As usual, i won't be looking at the measurements, only ingredient list and just creating balance from there. This one is also a vegan recipe, I'm positive i can improve on that with some chicken, bbq pork and prawns. Waan also used red curry paste in hers, although she fried it black and added the fingerroot that i had pounded to a paste for her, where in the massaman the same paste went into stock and wasn't fried.

pepper (resized).jpgpepper (resized).jpg

She was pretty impressed i was able to source these as they had alluded her and she said that it was the other ingredient she couldn't make it without. we got one bag each and i split mine into 8 or 9 smaller bags and vacpacked them all into one larger vac bag to freeze as portions.

#1385 3 years ago

Good job Dirk. Some would tyhink the soup was the goal and the rest was the byproduct.

Would'tBlameThemForItPunkin

#1389 3 years ago

Warmed up rats.

rat1 (resized).jpgrat1 (resized).jpg

PrettyLittleTikesPunkin

#1390 3 years ago

Snakes are both happy

rat2 (resized).jpgrat2 (resized).jpg

and it's fish Tom Yum for the punkin

ty1 (resized).jpgty1 (resized).jpg

#1394 3 years ago

Sichuan Hot pot. Chicken, bbq pork and oyster mushrooms.

Not as good as it is in Chengdu, but still pretty good. And at least there's no offal in it like there.

hp1 (resized).jpghp1 (resized).jpg

#1400 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Bbq pulled pork with cider coleslaw. Threw the hot meat on a cheese slice to make it gooey. I'm stuffed

You got me, doing a pulled pork shoulder for pinball lunch at comp on Sunday.
    Look away if you think there's only one way to do something as you are sure to get offended, outraged maybe even.

Smoked Pork Shoulder

Start with a rubbed shoulder, sous vide at 74C for 18 hours.

pp1 (resized).jpgpp1 (resized).jpg

#1403 3 years ago

Resting in the fridge for a couple of days till i'm ready for it now. It's perfectly cooked, but not smoked yet.

pp2 (resized).jpgpp2 (resized).jpg

Last nights quick and dirty Tom Yum.

ty2 (resized).jpgty2 (resized).jpg

#1404 3 years ago

Made a fresh batch of house maple rub and dropped it in the weber with some oak sticks.

pp3 (resized).jpgpp3 (resized).jpg

pp4 (resized).jpgpp4 (resized).jpg

#1406 3 years ago

An hour or more, i'm after the bark. If you want more smoke flavour you can smoke it before you sous vide.

#1408 3 years ago

Pretty basic rub;

Punkin’s BBQ Rub

½ cup white sugar
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ¼ cup coarse salt
    2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2bsp smoked paprika
    2 tbsp sweet paprika
    2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp celery seeds
    2 tbsp maple powder
    1 tsp MSG
    1 tsp chilli powder
    2 tsp onion powder

pp5 (resized).jpgpp5 (resized).jpg

#1410 3 years ago

And ready for saucing.

pp6 (resized).jpgpp6 (resized).jpg

#1412 3 years ago

Served it with buns and coleslaw. They seemed happy enough.

2 weeks later
    #1428 3 years ago

Gpot some in my fridge atm too. Is that to my recipe with the panko crumbs?

#1437 3 years ago

Australia. WTF is thankswhatsits

But every day is a good day for a Sunday dinner, so good on ya's.

#1464 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I made a cake! It is the first one I ever made!
    I can't explain why. I've been working on my cooking skills during all this. I'm getting better with a knife, and a better understanding bringing flavor to a dish. I've been baking bread for decades, but I never did any sweets. For some crazy reason I got it in my head to try, and fortunately I had everything I needed to make a Wacky Cake. Nobody was more surprised than me when it came out perfectly.
    [quoted image]
    FYI: Wacky Cake is a depression era cake style that doesn't use eggs or milk. My sister used to make them as the "family cake" for all occasions, which is why I knew about it. She would have been proud of my results with it.

My best understanding in cooking came from learning to make good Thai dipping sauces. Food is about balance, and a simple Thai fish sauce based dipper will teach you how to balance acid, sugar, salt and heat. That understanding will improve every aspect of your cooking.

#1466 3 years ago

Don't know what it's called as i can't read Thai, but the local Thais use it. Palm sugar varies a great deal in quality too. I often cheat and use some rock sugar with Chrysanthemum that i smuggled back from South China. It's really dark and good.

fs1 (resized).jpgfs1 (resized).jpg

rs1 (resized).jpgrs1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1477 3 years ago

Coconut/panko nuggets and wedges for the Woopi Freeballers at pinnie comp today. 5lb of chicken crumbed yesterday.

cn1 (resized).jpgcn1 (resized).jpg

#1483 3 years ago

Big batch of chilli cashew satay sauce for the freezer and some for chicken satay skewers on the weber this afternoon saved.

sauce1 (resized).jpgsauce1 (resized).jpg

#1484 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I am yet to be put under quarantine, but I did just make fresh lasagna.
    [quoted image]

Home made pasta? It's the bomb and only takes 20 mins once you get used to it.

#1486 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

What punkin said. I have this cheap but decent pasta machine, marcato atlas something. Very happy with it.

Yeah a 20 dollar machine works fine. I love to make it and do a wide handcut fettuccini style about an inch and a half wide.

Only takes 1-2mins to cook and feels so much better in your mouth.

First time i made pasta took me an hour and i had flour, dough and washing up all over the kitchen.
    It's like anything though, once you stop using a recipe it get's easier until now i can do it with no mess and bugger all washing up.

#1495 3 years ago

Did you cook all that today? must have a big family.

#1500 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Yeah. I like the machine because it does the job of the rolling pin so much better than me. Also it cuts lovely spaghetti.. Getting hungry now!

yeah i use the machine for rolling, but usually hand cut as i like a wide pasta

#1505 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

So I admit, I'm not expierenced at all with east Indian cuisine. I've had curry chicken a couple times and used to wolf down beef samosas at a bus stop.
    Yesterday they had naan bread at Walmart for a buck. Well shit, Im hooked. I rubbed garlic butter and some fresh herbs on one side and placed it in a hot pan. Spread a mix of mozza and old cheddar on the other side and made a grilled cheese out of it. Here's the secret and I know it sounds weird but drizzle honey and some see salt over it and WOW! The flavor is amazing!

Big Sikh population in our small town. Been here for generations.

Local Indian grocery has 2 types of frozen naan (flatbread is the most eaten bread in the world), one of them is already garlic flavour.

naan bread is the bomb.

#1507 3 years ago

Best just heated in some foil in the oven, torn to pieces and used to scoop up a great goat curry. Designed as an edible plate that gives you carbs and flavour as well as texture.

(hint; use dried fruit in the curry)

2 weeks later
    #1544 3 years ago

Scallops with garlic

sc1 (resized).jpgsc1 (resized).jpg

#1547 3 years ago

You're on a slippery slope there. Next thing you know, you'll be butchering whole pigs on your kitchen table and your shed will be full of curing meat. Not far from there to a cold smoker and hams and bacon.

pigs1 (resized).jpgpigs1 (resized).jpg

pigs5 (resized).jpgpigs5 (resized).jpg

pig715.4 (resized).jpgpig715.4 (resized).jpg

pigcuring1 (resized).jpgpigcuring1 (resized).jpg

pigcuring4 (resized).jpgpigcuring4 (resized).jpg

sausageday1.1 (resized).jpgsausageday1.1 (resized).jpg

sausageday1.9 (resized).jpgsausageday1.9 (resized).jpg

sausages2 (resized).jpgsausages2 (resized).jpg

All the same, if there's anything you want to know i'm happy to help, although i am not a butcher.

#1549 3 years ago

Used to make my own rusk, but then started using commercial filler/flavour for breafast sausages, all meat, spices and water only for smoked sausage.

tip 1 Les Polis recipes and methods
    http://lpoli.50webs.com/

If there any specific methods or recipes you want for any fresh or cured pig product i've probably done it.

I found winter curing to be best just hanging in the garage with a small fan on a timer. Fridge controlled just encouraged mold for me. One of the photos shows the bags i used to keep bugs off them. I still have salami and whole muscle cured products vac packed in my fridge from 5 years ago.

#1552 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Awesome. Thanks for the link. Looks like I have some reading to do. The breakfast sausage was very good. Here is the link to the recipe. I used chipotle instead of cayenne.
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/breakfast-sausage-recipe-2103185?ic1=amp_playvideo

Strange that it has no liquids. Usually can bulk up 10%

#1557 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

It’s very simple and very good. Just made some nice chunky patties. Give it a shot. I made 29 patties from 4lbs. Next time I’m going to get maple crystals and should give an extra depth in flavor

I have a kilo of maple powder. i use it in a lot of recipes, even in hams.

I tasted it in a butchers 'award winning secret recipe' sausage the other day and identified the secret.

#1558 3 years ago

Here's a really good basic Pork and Apple sausage from the net.

Welsh Wizard's Pork and Apple Sausages;
    1 kg pork
    40 gm Dried Apple
    10 gm salt
    2 gm pepper
    70 gm rusk
    70 gms concentrated apple juice
    Herbs from the garden

Reduce the juice by 50% by simmering, soak dried apples for an hour to reconstitute. Mix with ground pork, herbs, seasoning and rusk. Adjust juice content to achieve consistency.

Rusk
    1 lb (450 g) plain/all purpose flour or bread/strong flour
    pinch of salt
    5 tspns (25 ml) baking powder
    6½ - 8¾ fl oz (185 - 250 ml) water

Note: 1 tspn (5 ml) baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and 2¼ tspns (11¼ ml) cream of tartar may be substituted for the baking powder.

Method
    Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C)
    Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together.
    Mix it to a smooth, pliable dough using only enouigh of the water to do so.
    Roll out lightly to approximately ½" (12 mm) thick then place on a lightly greased tray.
    Place in oven on the middle shelf and bake for 10 minutes at 450°F (230°C).
    Remove from the oven and using the tines of a fork/or a large knife, split in half along its thickness.
    Place back on tray with the opened faces upwards.
    Return to oven.
    Reduce the heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake for a further 10 minutes, or more until it seems dry.
    Remove from oven and allow to cool a little on a wire rack.
    Whilst still warm, grind it in a food processor and then dry it further on trays until really dry.
    Store in airtight container and use as required.

#1560 3 years ago

People and their stupid rules.

#1562 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Its not a rule... its a preference.
    Some people think Dominoes is wonderful, I wouldnt feed it to my dog.

I understand preferences, just not when they are stated as a rule.

Im with you man... lived in NYC and been to Italy a bunch of times so I am a pizza snob.
    Pizza with a big doughy crust isnt pizza... neither is pizza with chicken on it, pineapple, on and on.

#1565 3 years ago

Well, I did say I am pizza snob so the big doughy mess most americans call pizza offends me.
    Same as Outback steakhouse is classic and wonderful Australian food.

All good, not important enough to argue about, had this out earlier in the thread about people stating preference as fact.

You can be offended as much as you like, just all the fake definitions is all. Pizza on a thick crust is still pizza, as is pizza with pineapple on it. It's just not classic Italian pizza or to your liking. Some people like it.

The North American McDonalds junior burger is still a burger too, just not a very good one.

#1572 3 years ago

5 min cupboard raid stir fry.

Some beautiful headless greens from the fish shop, some scallops and peppercorns from the freezer, onion, garlic, chilli, chilli oil and a packet sauce with some coconut jasmine rice.

sf1 (resized).jpgsf1 (resized).jpg

sf2 (resized).jpgsf2 (resized).jpg

MmmmmmDrunkenDinnerPunkin

#1574 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Man those shrimps and scallops are huge!!

Lucky country they call it. All the good seafood goes overseas, we rarely see it outside of a restaurant as aussies won't pay for it. i bet the biggest selling prawns in Australia are those disgusting vaenmai farmed ones that come from Vietnam and are sold in the supermarkets. Sometimes at xmas etc you'll see prawns that reach from your palm to the inside of your elbow.

I'm lucky, i live an arrow shot from the coast, i did live 4 hours away a few years ago and mostly ate REALLY good steak and pork, wild venison and goat. eat what's good local i reckon, buy frozen when it's good.

#1576 3 years ago

Pinball comp today, so made some brownies with a homemade compound butter.

brownie1 (resized).jpgbrownie1 (resized).jpg

GottaWinSomehowEvenIfINobbleThemPunkin

#1581 3 years ago

Do you have some crumbs or semolina/cornmeal on there? I looked it up and all the recipes i saw called for just seasoned flour.

1 week later
    #1585 3 years ago

Goldband snapper En papillote with oven chips, prawns and a quick fish sauce based dipping sauce.

fish6 (resized).jpgfish6 (resized).jpg

#1590 3 years ago

I'm trying to lose weight by eating fried chicken

FuckingGoldPunkin

#1596 3 years ago

Making a good start on a popcorn chicken with a honey, lemon, ginger and green peppercorn sauce to be served on coconut rice.

ch1 (resized).jpgch1 (resized).jpg

446 posts in this topic match your search for posts by punkin. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider punkin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quarantine-cooking-thread?tu=punkin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.