Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,416 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF2038[1] (resized).jpg
    20221130_193536 (resized).jpg
    20221130_193538 (resized).jpg
    C919CD50-B88D-43F3-8C43-5C8B96F6105F (resized).jpeg
    20220707_120058.jpg
    20220706_173039.jpg
    20220705_190231.jpg
    4E6FB350-D932-496E-A67E-C47614DAA94A (resized).jpeg
    6FE217CD-246E-4D26-9574-089C10AD836C (resized).jpeg
    87635104-1075-4825-940F-617AB927EA50 (resized).jpeg
    DYkfSE (resized).png
    prawn2 (resized).jpg
    20220618_124024.jpg
    jerky6 (resized).jpg
    jerky2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220614_101140 (resized).jpg
    There are 2,416 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 49.
    #801 3 years ago

Pretty happy wit first attempt. We're thinking a garlic aioli next time and more provolone

20200623_192914.jpg20200623_192914.jpg20200623_193023.jpg20200623_193023.jpg
    #802 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Pretty happy wit first attempt. We're thinking a garlic aioli next time and more provolone
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Get yourself a dome and a squirt bottle to make the best cheesy goodness.

#803 3 years ago

You guys ever had a seared tuna cheesesteak? Fresh tuna, sear it, cut into small/medium chunks, provolone cheese, and some wasabi mayo and some people add a drop of soy. It's fantastic.

#804 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Get yourself a dome and a squirt bottle to make the best cheesy goodness.

I've been waiting to do that with a burger since diners drive ins and dives started 12 years ago.

On a side note my wife said "why do we ever even eat out? 2 subway sandwiches is $20. We just ate 2 huge cheesesteaks and we have enough for one each tomorrow for $20"

Man I love my wife.

#805 3 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

You guys ever had a seared tuna cheesesteak? Fresh tuna, sear it, cut into small/medium chunks, provolone cheese, and some wasabi mayo and some people add a drop of soy. It's fantastic.

Sounds awesome. Ive had alot of whale beef, otoh. Very good, but a very touchy subject. I think its only Norway and Japan who still catches whale.

I stopped buying it a couple years ago though, and I am pretty happy with that decision.

#806 3 years ago

Today lambburger.

IMG_20200624_174408 (resized).jpgIMG_20200624_174408 (resized).jpg
    #807 3 years ago

that's a fat burger!!!

so I picked up some cast iron skillets for free the other day. What do you guys use to season yours? I've seen flax seed, avocado, and Martha says to use Crisco. how many times do you season it?

Going to pick up that sous vide this evening too. will post picks of that later.

#808 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

that's a fat burger!!!
    so I picked up some cast iron skillets for free the other day. What do you guys use to season yours? I've seen flax seed, avocado, and Martha says to use Crisco. how many times do you season it?
    Going to pick up that sous vide this evening too. will post picks of that later.

Ive always been using rapeseed oil, mostly because its (atleast around here) cheap for the higher quality stuff and produced nationally. Some people think it adds taste, which Ive never noticed, but that might be because Im so used to it. It can tolerate higher temperatures than many other oils though.

When I tend to my skillets I nornally leave them with rapeseed oil inside the cooking oven, set at about 70-90 celsius for eight or more hours. Until its "full" and the leftover oil is very thick.

Im sure there might be a better way though. Or better oil. But it works good enough for me.

#809 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

that's a fat burger!!!

https://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/how-t0-season-a-cast-iron-skillet

#810 3 years ago

Only one hour? And at such a high temperature (190 celsius)? Hmm. Many vegetable oils start breaking down at lower degrees, olive oil for instance.

#811 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I’ve been using grape seed oil and give it a quick season after every use on the stovetop.

#812 3 years ago

If you use flax seed oil (linseed oil food grade) it gives a much better result than other vegetable oils because of it's higher temp tolerance and one cycle will be enough to get you started usually.

Hard to find in Australia but our little town has a large Sikh population so the Indian Grocery has food grade Linseed oil.

#813 3 years ago

This is what Martha said to do and what I did. I will stick with this. Martha said that Crisco doesn't leave it sticky.

#814 3 years ago

Grabbed it! Anova ps 2.0. Lady said she used it 3 times and gave me the bucket and cook book for $40

E9E88CDB-96AD-4B66-B516-3AFC44BF40AB (resized).jpegE9E88CDB-96AD-4B66-B516-3AFC44BF40AB (resized).jpeg
    #815 3 years ago

Nice pickup. There's two models, one uses wifi and one uses blue tooth. Check youtube or the Anova site on how to overide and set manually, you'll have far less trouble, simple and foolproof.

An insulated tub like a cooler will be much more stable and cheaper to run.

#816 3 years ago

Pork chops, sous vide for about 3 hours at 135F. Dried off, added some creole seasoning and on to the grill for a couple minutes each side. Served with some Annie's boxed mac and cheese on a Yoda plate. It was fantastic.

20200624_181028 (resized).jpg20200624_181028 (resized).jpg
    #817 3 years ago

Looking forward to making some stuff with that Sous vide. Tonight made lemon oregano chicken with fresh oregano from the backyard

4CBC2B41-C552-48FC-98EB-1F46BAD591C4 (resized).jpeg4CBC2B41-C552-48FC-98EB-1F46BAD591C4 (resized).jpeg
    #818 3 years ago

Looks like I’m buying the Anova, I had a steak sous vide and then thrown on a ripping hot flat top at my buddy’s, one of the best steaks I ever had, we call it Pittsburgh’d around these parts.

#819 3 years ago

I hear that story quite often.

#820 3 years ago

I want to know how much money this thread has cost everyone so far. A month ago everyone was buying the flat tops, now everyone is buying a sous vide. I bought a flat top attachment for my Weber but I kinda wish I just bought the one everyone else is using. This is way too small.

#821 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I want to know how much money this thread has cost everyone so far. A month ago everyone was buying the flat tops, now everyone is buying a sous vide. I bought a flat top attachment for my Weber but I kinda wish I just bought the one everyone else is using. This is way too small.

After the Avona, I’ll be in for around $500

#822 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Ok sous vide guys. I can pick up a used anova with the bucket and cook book for $40. Said they didn’t use it much. Is it worth getting?

You can always use it to quick thaw meat or chill beers...

#823 3 years ago

I never get a chance to post here. I like to cook, but most stuff is not worthy of this thread. Here is one of my best. Herb crusted pork butt roast. Made 2 of them.
    Garlic, rosemary, Sage, thyme, salt & pepper crusted.

Came out awesome and delicious. Makes the best gravy too

6B6E5244-EB9F-45B0-A6F8-89F402607B28 (resized).jpeg6B6E5244-EB9F-45B0-A6F8-89F402607B28 (resized).jpeg
    #824 3 years ago
    Quoted from WonderMellon:

I never get a chance to post here. I like to cook, but most stuff is not worthy of this thread. Here is one of my best. Herb crusted pork butt roast. Made 2 of them.
    Garlic, rosemary, Sage, thyme, salt & pepper crusted.
    Came out awesome and delicious. Makes the best gravy too
    [quoted image]

Doesn’t matter what you cook. Just post away!!!! Looks killer though

Quoted from mcluvin:

You can always use it to quick thaw meat or chill beers...

Ok so I need to know how to chill beers with this?

#825 3 years ago

ok so I am going to do my first sous vide soon. I want to make barbacoa and like the recipe on sous vide everything on youtube. I will be doing my with chuck steak instead of short ribs. in the video he cooked it for 24 hours at 180 or 185. does it really need to cook that long? should I sear the meat on the grill before bagging? do I need to double bag?

#826 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Looks like I’m buying the Anova, I had a steak sous vide and then thrown on a ripping hot flat top at my buddy’s, one of the best steaks I ever had, we call it Pittsburgh’d around these parts.

look to see if you can find one used. I found this one on the nextdoor app and the lady said she used it only 3 times.

#827 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

ok so I am going to do my first sous vide soon. I want to make barbacoa and like the recipe on sous vide everything on youtube. I will be doing my with chuck steak instead of short ribs. in the video he cooked it for 24 hours at 180 or 185. does it really need to cook that long? should I sear the meat on the grill before bagging? do I need to double bag?

I've watched a lot of videos on that channel. I eventually gave up because everything is"Amazing!". I've tried a few of his recipes and they were all very good.

If pulled meat is the desired outcome, it does take a long cook. I'm not sure if chuck needs more or less time. I'd look for some recipes for your exact cut, or just try 24 hours and see if you like it.

I've never seared first, always after. His end result looks great though. Personally I would follow the video closely the first time and adjust after you get a baseline.

He suggests double bagging when you have a bone in cut. It might not be a bad idea to double bag with such a long cook anyway. It is really defeating when the bag opens up, especially with liquid in it.

Post the results, good or bad!

#828 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Ok so I need to know how to chill beers with this?

Set the Anova to the lowest temp so the heating element doesn't come on then dump some ice in the water. The constantly circulating icy water will quickly chill the beer.

#829 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Post the results, good or bad!

Sure will. just glancing over the cook book that I got with this, it shows doing a chuck steak for 2 days at 135 degrees. going to do more research before I do it.

#830 3 years ago

33c here in West Wales in the UK, beer is chillin and chicken is marinating. Tandoor clay oven for chicken tikka is amazing, will put some pics up when I start cooking a bit later if I’m sober enough

60A34675-E2DB-4CFA-B723-69CACC86C276 (resized).jpeg60A34675-E2DB-4CFA-B723-69CACC86C276 (resized).jpeg
    #831 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Set the Anova to the lowest temp so the heating element doesn't come on then dump some ice in the water. The constantly circulating icy water will quickly chill the beer.

I thought you were kidding, ha! I wonder if adding salt to the water would damage the anova?

#832 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I want to know how much money this thread has cost everyone so far.

My Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker was just delivered by Amazon... so it's going up quickly.

#833 3 years ago

Seriously who has 2 to 3 days to cook a steak !!!

Quoted from Bax1:

doing a chuck steak for 2 days

Quoted from Bax1:

video he cooked it for 24 hours

#834 3 years ago

Quoted from punkin:

for 36 hours before a short smoke on the smoker for 1/2-1 hr.

#835 3 years ago

you are just totally against this sous vide thing huh. so cook it for 1-3 days. takes no time. you do your normal prep set it and forget it. just like the showtime rotisserie

#836 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

you are just totally against this sous vide thing huh. so cook it for 1-3 days. takes no time. you do your normal prep set it and forget it. just like the showtime rotisserie

Not against it completely, but come on 2 days for a steak.

#837 3 years ago

so you use a smoker?

#838 3 years ago

I'd rather eat a good cheeseburger then a steak anyday

#839 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'd rather eat a good cheeseburger then a steak anyday

My brother!

#840 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so you use a smoker?

I use a smoker , charcoal grill, propane grill, flattop

#841 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

I use a smoker , charcoal grill, propane grill, flattop

so you do a pork butt on a smoker, that takes 12 hours and is more work. have to tend the fire all day and make sure it is staying steady.

#842 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so you do a pork butt on a smoker, that takes 12 hours and is more work. have to tend the fire all day and make sure it is staying steady.

Yep !!!
    Meat in bag in luke warm water , not my style .
    Much rather be on the patio tending the smoker and drinking beers playing pins with friends and family all day long .

Not sure how a 12 hour smoke is more work than a 36 hour Jacuzzi.

#843 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Yep !!!
    Much rather be on the patio tending the smoker and drinking beers playing pins with friends and family all day long .

so you set the sous vide and can walk away. you don't have to tend to it. give more time for beer drinking and playing pins!!

#844 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so you set the sous vide and can walk away. you don't have to tend to it. give more time for beer drinking and playing pins!!

If you say so ???
    Man, I would probaly forget all about the meat in a bag after 2 days of drinking .
    Then !!!!! Then apparently I need to actually cook it ?

#845 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I thought you were kidding, ha! I wonder if adding salt to the water would damage the anova?

I've never added salt, but it should help. Not sure if it would corrode the Anova? Avoid crushed ice as it can get caught in the impeller.

#846 3 years ago

Use those cooling elements instead, they are almost for free and used in those plastic cooling containers. Or just buy cold beer. Still, a piss warm beer is better than cold water.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Cooling-Battery-Element-Coolbag/dp/B00OHJBI56

#847 3 years ago

Does this count?

My first attempt

C60D8C63-0730-4CBF-9B06-6570F2988046 (resized).jpegC60D8C63-0730-4CBF-9B06-6570F2988046 (resized).jpeg
    #848 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Does this count?
    My first attempt
    [quoted image]

Beautiful carrot!

#849 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Just remember that;

temperature = doneness

Time = texture

So if you want a medium steak set it to 54C. If you want it to be a beautiful texture to the tooth, set it for 2 hours. If you haven't got any teeth, set it for 20.

Quoted from golfingdad1:

Yep !!!
    Not sure how a 12 hour smoke is more work than a 36 hour Jacuzzi.

To put ribs on for 36 hours, it takes 5 mins to put them in a bag, 5 mins to set the anova and then 5 mins a day and a half later to take them out. 10 mins to sear.

So a 36 hour cook takes 25 mins of attention.
    ]
    A 12 hour cook on my offset stick burner probably takes 10mins attention per hour, even with the bluetooth temp probe.
    So thats 2 hours of attention (not counting the prep).

That's how it's more work.

Doesn't mean i don't use the smoker sometimes, but having more tools in the tool box is a good thing that i am not afraid of. As i said earlier, knowledge is no burden to carry.

I can cook ribs in the oven, camp cooker, deep fryer, slow cooker, stew pot, i can wrap them in banana leaves and bury them in hot rocks in the ground, there's heaps of different ways. And restricting yourself on some made up rule seems pretty stupid.

#850 3 years ago

punkin As long as you dont involve the microwave oven in any kind of proper cooking I can agree.

There are 2,416 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quarantine-cooking-thread/page/17?hl=djreddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.