Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

brother_in_law.jpg
stupid_latch.jpg
stupid_corner.jpg
baby_finger_gaps.jpg
images-1.jpeg

#1 12 years ago

Had a thought. Was thinking I might want more then one machine. Was thinking of putting my tz up for trade. How many machines could I trade for my TZ? I have looked over titles and prices. I really liked playing JP and T2 back in the day. And im thinking I could add a third in the trade based on suggested prices. Anyone have thoughts on this. And what third title I should target.

#2 12 years ago

My advice, would be to save money and buy another machine, which will fire you up to save and buy another one.

I would never trade my TZ for a JP, T2, + something else around that price range. Couldn't do it. It's just such a high ranked game it's not worth it to me....unless something silly as in the mix for #3.
I understand you want more pins but IMO that's not the way to do it.

#3 12 years ago

I would to prefer a smaller collection of pins I love to play over a larger collection of pins I like to play.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I would to prefer a smaller collection of pins I love to play over a larger collection of pins I like to play.

+ 5 Million

Quality over quantity always. In everything in life.

#5 12 years ago

+infinity

#6 12 years ago

What he said.

I could easily buy 3+ lower-end pins if I sold my TZ as well, but I guarantee none of them would be as much fun.

#7 12 years ago

To an extent. If you are trading an A for two B's that are equally fun. I'd say its worth it. Trading and A for 3 or 4 D titles....well thats silly.

#8 12 years ago

I always thought it was more a question of "how much room ya got?".

#9 12 years ago

I am a little bit ADD, so I like to have a lot of variety. I play every one of my machines each time i visit my arcade.

That said, I carefully chose each of my machines. (except hyperball, I like it, but those things kind of fell in my lap as a fun project)

I tend to naturally prefer the alpha numeric machines. I like the play style better than DMD.

I did a one for two trade with southpark for Taxi and BOP. I feel i made out like a bandit with that trade, But the other guy was super happy too. win win.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

(except hyperball, I like it, but those things kind of fell in my lap as a fun project)

No Pun intended, but I'll take it

#11 12 years ago

Stay with quality

#12 12 years ago

Quality>quantity.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Chochi_ca:

How many machines could I trade for my TZ?

i'm trying to do the same thing with no luck so far.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from TheStranger:

There is a law of diminishing returns however....I can think of a few things I could live with alot of mediocre vs one really good one...This is a family site I won't go into detail, but you can probably imagine

#15 12 years ago

Quality

+googolplex

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

TheStranger said:
There is a law of diminishing returns however....I can think of a few things I could live with alot of mediocre vs one really good one...This is a family site I won't go into detail, but you can probably imagine

#17 12 years ago

I have done both, and honestly speaking it doesn't matter either way.

Alot of games get trashed because of theme alone or who made it. If you enjoy it what does the price matter? TZ is not necessarily more fun than Stargate to some people, yet TZ is twice the price. JP is a great game with a lot of depth, t2 is fun just not very deep.

If you have the space I say quantity. In my case I decided to cut down for two reasons. One was that I live in a small apartment and going from 5 to 3 gave me space for a workbench. The other was that I only ever had one or two running at anyone time and tended to sell of the working ones. Now I am looking to make one more move (nascar and jp for lotr) and will be done for a lonnnngggg time.

#18 12 years ago

thanx for all replies.. Think I will sit on my TZ... for a little while at least.

#19 12 years ago

How long are you going to keep pins? Some members here will flip them in weeks. How many can you fit at once? I feel that a pin collection needs balance, just like all things. Some old, some new, some deep, some fun. Play a lot of pins and decide what you like best, keep the ones you want and let the rest pass through the collection.

You definitely need more than one.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#20 12 years ago

i bought my first pin almost two years ago for $1400. Then I got real busy in life. Ended up selling it for $2300... I know not a smart move! i miss that machine now. So i picked up a TZ last year. Now I really enjoy it. And I do plan on staying in the hobby. Would love too pick up another machine.. or two.. or three........... Space is not a big problem.. just the wallet.

#21 12 years ago

Keep your eye open for deals and an open mind about some titles. You might be suprised how many machines you have never heard of will pop up on the classifieds for a few hundred dollars. An IJ for $1400 is a steal of a deal. Even at $2300 it is bargain basement.

#22 12 years ago

If TZ is your only pin then I would suggest trading it. Depending on condition you could be looking at anywhere from 4 low end pins, to 2-3 very solid titles.

TZ is good, but to give you an idea you could get a nice Shadow and a nice JP and still have a bit of change left over.

#23 12 years ago

With pinball machines, quantity. With a spouse, quality

#24 12 years ago

From my standpoint I don't think that the answer to this question is nearly as easy as people are making it sound.

Specifically, what is the definition of "quality" as applied to pins? Are you talking about a pin that is in great condition? Or are you talking about a pin that is ranked highly in the Top 100?

I think quality is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to pins. There are people who think RS is a better pin than TZ. TZ goes for twice as much money. So if the OP thought RS is the better pin, in this case, what would the correct answer be? He could have RS and enough money left over to buy a second pin of equal value to RS.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

TZ is good, but to give you an idea you could get a nice Shadow and a nice JP and still have a bit of change left over.

+1

With a Shadow and JP you would get both quantity and quality.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think quality is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to pins.

I agree,
Some people just love EM's to death and would rather have 5 to 8 good specimens compared to just one new DMD'd Stern. All of them could be "A" list in the buyers eyes, so it really doesn't mean much.
Pinball is pinball to me; space usually trumps quality and quantity IMHO.
My goal is to just have machines that don't play too similar. Variety ultimately wins out in the NP household.

#27 12 years ago

Depends on how much room you have.

#28 12 years ago

My biggest problem these days is space as I am officially out unless I start invading some other areas of my house. I lean more towards quantity because sometimes it is nice to step away from a particular game to another one because I will get bored of playing the same game over and over again. I learned this pretty fast and in my two weeks of collecting I went from one pin to two!
I am very happy with my own collection and feel I have built some nice variety in that no two games play a like or are similar. Most importantly they are all games I thorough enjoy and can see myself playing for the next little while. Will be bringing home my first "quality" title this weekend to round up my collection to 8

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

My biggest problem these days is space as I am officially out unless I start invading some other areas of my house. I lean more towards quantity because sometimes it is nice to step away from a particular game to another one because I will get bored of playing the same game over and over again. I learned this pretty fast and in my two weeks of collecting I went from one pin to two!
I am very happy with my own collection and feel I have built some nice variety in that no two games play a like or are similar. Most importantly they are all games I thorough enjoy and can see myself playing for the next little while. Will be bringing home my first "quality" title this weekend to round up my collection to 8

I couldn't have said this any better

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Will be bringing home my first "quality" title this weekend

Yeah, your collection sure sucks the big "wang" mwong!

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

Nothing but "Horrible" ( ) pins.
My condolences go out to you and your family for putting up with such filth.

#31 12 years ago

A large quantity of quality machines is best

#32 12 years ago

Depends on your definition of quality. The two pins in my collection that I play the least are the ones which cost me the most.

#33 12 years ago

When I had just one I didn't play as much, got tired, with multiples you can switch when you grow tired of playing. My wife and I were talking that when we got to 3 and 4 it was ideal. We could both play at the same time, when I wasnt feeling one, I could switch to a different theme/game

I would sell TZ if you have reached the maximum you want to have invested in pinball, if not, then find 1200-1400 bucks and snatch up a t2 and slowly add to your collection.

Also, after having TZ for a while, if you are growing tired of it, makes sense to sell.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Will be bringing home my first "quality" title this weekend to round up my collection to 8

Stairway pics?

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

My wife and I were talking that when we got to 3 and 4 it was ideal.

Says the guy with 36!

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

mwong168 said:

Will be bringing home my first "quality" title this weekend

Yeah, your collection sure sucks the big "wang" mwong! []

Those are all quality pins to me. I wish i could find those titles around here for market or even slightly above market value.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Depends on your definition of quality. The two pins in my collection that I play the least are the ones which cost me the most.

Funny you mention this because my first "quality" or game >$3k was TSPP and I only played it maybe 40-50 times over the two months I had it. I am no pinball wizard by any means but every time I played the game it didn't do it for me like my other games. I found myself playing and enjoying say Congo more than the new kid on the block.

Part of the reason for my impulsive TSPP purchase was because the condition and most important price ($3500) was just right at the time. I couldn't lose and actually stood to turn a profit cause another HUO one sold for $4200 within a day otherwise average price then was ~$3700-3800 for a nice one. I don't regret buying it and at least I learned that sort of stop and go play style is not for me with the exception of Roadshow which some consider to be stop and go as well

Also had I not bought TSPP I wouldn't have got another game I really wanted which was Indianapolis 500. The person I traded with really wanted one and was two games over his happy wife space limit. He also couldn't put up any extra cash on top nor want to sell the machine outright despite my generous offer. So the trade ended up being a 2 for 1 deal and I got another game that seems to be the flavor of the month here...Johnny Mnemonic. Turns out I enjoyed JM more than I500 initially For the same money I had invested in TSPP, I now have two games I play a hell of a lot more even up to this day and best part was in the end two people got exactly what they wanted.

Quoted from ovfdfireman:

When I had just one I didn't play as much, got tired, with multiples you can switch when you grow tired of playing.

The nice thing is when you come back to the original game you grew tired of playing it feels like a new game again.

#38 12 years ago

Stairway pics?

I have a brand new appliance dolly that is collecting dust because my stairs truly suck and everything going up or down has to be carried with brute force! The last stretch going down is so tight seen in this pic with the pink walls it is literally baby finger gaps on each side.

Here are pics of my stairs and my brother in-law Keith has become quite the celebrity in the pinball community up here in Toronto Funny story behind all these move in pics tradition pics all started after the first machine. I would always say "wait, wait! let me take a pic" and then he started flipping me the bird. He really isn't mad or upset and has been very understanding about my pinball ADD/OCD this whole time and hasn't called AE yet to be on Intervention.

Another funny thing is back in January was I scored a cheap Champion Pub via kijiji which is like craiglist and couldn't get out of work. So I asked Keith to drive out of town to pick it up for me before someone else go to it before me. When Keith arrived at the seller's place he got flipped two birds and the guy said "I know you, your brother in-law is the asian guy" lol I got a pin that day and Keith made a new friend with a boat to go fishing with this summer so everyone won that day

baby_finger_gaps.jpgbaby_finger_gaps.jpg stupid_corner.jpgstupid_corner.jpg stupid_latch.jpgstupid_latch.jpg brother_in_law.jpgbrother_in_law.jpg

#39 12 years ago

Can't wait! Please let there be props

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 79.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quality-or-quantity?tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.