(Topic ID: 88191)

Q*bert's Quest Pinball : restore, game play, owners @!#%!

By retired_user_101

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5161.JPG
IMG_5160.JPG
IMG_5159.JPG
IMG_5158.JPG
IMG_5156.JPG
IMG_5157.JPG
IMG_5155.JPG
IMG_5154.JPG
IMG_5153.JPG
IMG_5152.JPG
IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5151.JPG
IMG_5149.JPG
IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5148.JPG
013.JPG
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2 10 years ago

#3 10 years ago

#4 10 years ago

Congrats! That's a pretty cool game. I played it a couple times at the show. It's harder than it looks.

Do you think your wife *REALLY* expected you to come home from a pinball show *WITHOUT* a machine?!?

#5 10 years ago

I junked one years ago!

#6 10 years ago

I passed on one for a 100.00 at the local drive in and have since regretted it a few years ago. I was just getting into pins. Ed

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

I passed on one for a 100.00 at the local drive in and have since regretted it a few years ago. I was just getting into pins. Ed

Somewhere near St. Louis, Missouri ?

#8 10 years ago

#9 10 years ago

Congrats BB. I'm happy that you found a pin you've wanted for a long time. Gotta tell ya though...that is one ugly pin. LOL Sorry bro.

Meant to add that I LOVED the video game and was great at it at the time. Haven't played it in years. Do like the crazy 4 flippers though. That's kinda wild.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

Somewhere near St. Louis, Missouri ?

Yes potosi, mo. 60 miles south of St. Louis. Ed

#11 10 years ago

#12 10 years ago

Congratulations on your newest acquisition Brett.

Steve #5

NOS Qbert playfield.jpgNOS Qbert playfield.jpg
NOS Qbert playfield signature.jpgNOS Qbert playfield signature.jpg

#13 10 years ago

qbert-gang-up-1.jpgqbert-gang-up-1.jpg

#14 10 years ago

#15 10 years ago

Nothing beats a good cleaning/polishing or a new part.

Steve

#16 10 years ago

ok.
this isn't for everyone. you may want to close your eyes and just scroll down real fast...

Thought i'd go out on a limb and just take a chance.
got bright yellow legs. now that they are on, the game looks even more like a toy, a game. it works (at least in person)

You still can't get me to put blue legs & rails on tron.

Put on clear plastic leg protectors, new bolts, new feet, and yellow footies for the feet (to not scratch floor).
Had the plastic leg protectors in past (originally for tron), but centerflank slapped me around and said they'd hurt that particular pin's cabinet art

Here's the before & after of the front-left leg.

legs-before-after-1.jpglegs-before-after-1.jpg

#17 10 years ago

#18 10 years ago

It looks nice but it's not for me, I'm more of a purist when it comes to cosmetics. Is there a reason you used ribbed legs from a System 3? I would have thought the flat type System 80 legs would have been your choice.

Now you're going to have to do something with the coin door, rails and lock down bar because they look out of place ... it never ends.

Steve

#19 10 years ago

#20 10 years ago

#21 10 years ago

Well, I'll try to think of some things for you to do to your game then. What about colored LED's inside the flippers like I did a few years ago to my Alien Star or last year to my MGoW?

Steve

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Well, I'll try to think of some things for you to do to your game then. What about colored LED's inside the flippers like I did a few years ago to my Alien Star or last year to my MGoW?
Steve

ooooo.... any pix ?

#23 10 years ago

#24 10 years ago

#25 10 years ago

#26 10 years ago

I worked with Greg Ong of MindOrbits and he helped me figure out how to make my flippers flicker like embers in a fire on my MGoW. I have alternating orange and red LED's installed 2 of each color per flipper. I think it came out real nice, pics and a short vid of it working below.

Steve

WP_001817.jpgWP_001817.jpg
WP_001823.jpgWP_001823.jpg

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Congrats! That's a pretty cool game. I played it a couple times at the show. It's harder than it looks.
Do you think your wife *REALLY* expected you to come home from a pinball show *WITHOUT* a machine?!?

nope

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I worked with Greg Ong of MindOrbits and he helped me figure out how to make my flippers flicker like embers in a fire on my MGoW. I have alternating orange and red LED's installed 2 of each color per flipper. I think it came out real nice, pics and a short vid of it working below.
Steve

wow, those look incredible. haven't ever seen anything like that before in flippers.
what a great idea.

i like the translite lighting. looks similar to the Space Invaders pin.

#29 10 years ago

I've got one at home. Definitely not one for a small collection, but I'm a big fan of Trudeau's quirkier games. I have my QQ sitting right next to a Spirit. When I got mine a few years ago, I think there were still some NOS plastics and targets available. My back glass was made new for me. I still have the original one. It's one of those games that I'll come back to for a month and then not touch it for a year. I think I'd play it more if I had it closer to my main lineup of pins though. I'd never sell it or the Spirit. Congrats on your purchase. Curious what it ended up going for. My base price wasn't all that much, but then there were some artist paint touch ups, the plastic set, targets, and bg. Looks and plays great to me. Now if I could just find an NOS plastic set for Spirit.

#30 10 years ago

Awesome. I've heard of this pin, but have never seen pics of one til now. Now thanks to you I will probably pounce on the first nice one I see for sale. Very cool looking pin, a novelty with the flipper layout. Trudeau rocks!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

Awesome. I've heard of this pin, but have never seen one. Now thanks to you I will probably pounce on the first nice one I see for sale. Very cool looking pin, a novelty with the flipper layout. Trudeau rocks!

it's really fun.
it has both offensive and defensive game play shots. both aligning to the arcade video game concept, lighting-up/coloring the cubes in the pyramid and dealing with enemies.

then just handling the double flippers, but tied to opposite buttons for the lower flippers, really does a number on the player's response system.

it's as unique as the arcade video game Qbert.

#32 10 years ago

is it just me, or do the lower playfield plastics look like the autobots logo?

i think blue acorn nuts would blend in better than those tan ones.

playfield-plastics-1.JPGplayfield-plastics-1.JPG

#33 10 years ago

I have one ... Bought an NOS plastics set from Steve Young, he also sells the drop down stickers and manual.

Now it's time for some repairs, updates, and upgrades.
Updates:
1. new speakers
2. all new rubbers
3. new legs, bolts, footies, plastic cab protectors
4. new wall power cord
5. new plunger housing, spring, & rod
6. get matching color plastic rubber acorn nuts so they blend in better vs draw attention to them
7. new playfield glass
8. new silver screws to hold plastics down, when acorns aren't used
9. get washers between the metal posts and the plastics. metal washers now, but use new plastic ones later. maybe colored or transparent? tbd.
Clean-up:
1. playfield cleaning
2. playfield waxing
3. remove all plastics and clean
4. clean out lower cabinet (little funky)
Repairs:
1. Plastics:
___some plastics have broken ends. need to find replacements, or create a whole new set of plastics
2. Playfield:
___It had prior paint touch-ups. hmmm... could redo this on laptop & find a printer to put on a brand new playfield. that's a big project. art, not a problem. cutting all those holes, putting in inserts, screwing in all the equipment - yikes.
___Two roll-overs don't seem to work. A guy walked up to me at the show and said they didn't work and were a pain since they influence game play.
3. Lower Cabinet:
___could use some minor wood puddy repair, sanding & new paint job.
4. Backbox:
___could use some minor wood puddy repair, sanding & new paint job.
5. Translite:
___there's a few rough paint scratches in the art. could create a new version on pc and have a plastic translite printed & get a custom cut piece of backglass. OR, find someone who could lay the paint on glass, creating a new translite.
Any advice / help out there? Any reference art available to draw from?

#34 10 years ago

#35 10 years ago

I hate when that happens. I can't help with plastics but when I get my QQ set back up, I'll ask Cliffy to make protectors for the broken areas so that any good replacements don't get broken too. That's the good part about restoring an old game, you get to see where the damage occurs and then you get to figure out how to stop it from happening again before replacing it with a good plastic. I have plastic protectors made for quite a few games, just need to get them over to Cliffy for scanning (after PAGG). Then, anyone that needs one will be able to get it from him.

Steve

Here are the one's I have covered so far;

Mars, God of War center plastic over 4 drop targets
Pink Panther center plastic over 3 drop targets
Devil's Dare center plastic over 5 drop targets (no pic yet)

WP_001810.jpgWP_001810.jpg
P1010007 (2)-980.JPGP1010007 (2)-980.JPG

#36 10 years ago

#37 10 years ago

Installed new glass, now the ball kick-out solenoid won't stop firing after it shoots the ball out to the plunger / shooter-lane.

uhhg.

#38 10 years ago

Dunno about the solenoid issue, but I'm glad I got to play this while the owner had it locally. It never worked fully to the best of my knowledge, but some fun shots, like the snake looparound.

#39 10 years ago

any creative ideas on what to do with the old original playfield glass?
it's an odd-dimension wide-body.

#40 10 years ago

New glass will do that ya know. Sounds like the outhole switch is adjusted too close or stuck closed.

I have a lot of old scratched but tempered pinball glass, I was thinking of making a greenhouse in the backyard out of them.

Steve

#41 10 years ago

Nice find! I played it at the TPF. Definitely a different sort of pinball, and the games are long!

#42 10 years ago

Wow, looks like it's in great shape! Good find.

What kind of cigar is that?

#43 10 years ago

#44 10 years ago

Not familiar with those... My usual is the Padron 3000 maduro, but lately have been smoking 601 blue & 601 reds... As well as nursing my way through a few cubans I brought back from India.

#45 10 years ago

Hey Brett, nice job. I actually like the yellow legs and think it looks great on the pin. Perfect match.

#46 10 years ago

First and foremost... Congrats BB!

I love this era of Gottliebs (in fact, my favorite). I would like to be the quasi-Steve (blownfuse) 'round here and own the majority of these - even Krull Steve!

Anywho, back to QQ. Some of my observations and opinions: There is definitely more than 9 floating around. One usually shows up at Expo (Marks?) I always have the meaning to put a few games because I really, really, really want to love this game but can a *mild* like would be the better choice of words.

The playfield definitely has the unorthodox layout to say the least. Which can also be it's downfall. Since the majority of the playfield is dedicated to the figure 8 layout; I find that the randomness travel of the pinball is relied on making that loop.

I guess what I'm trying to say the majority of the playfield gameplay sans the upper portion is basically 'on rails' too much.

Someone said it the best, it's not for a small collection! Believe me, I'm a HUGE Gottlieb fan; I would like to own one, but I can think of 10 other Gottlieb pins from this era I would own first....

#47 10 years ago

I've been hunting for a Q*bert's Quest Pinball for ages and ages.
Almost got 1 a few years ago from a fellow in Canada.

Congrats!

... and, yeah, we traded emails back in May 2012 about my QQ, which I have since sold to a local collector.

I'm not big of mods but I did consider building a topper for QQ, going so far as to design one. It would have functioned like an extension to the backbox with a matching yellow wooden frame, back-lit translite that would be wired up to blink along with the Coily, Ugg and Wrong-Way inserts. The images used were also taken directly from the actual Q*bert upright.

Anyway, QQ didn't hold my attention, was sold, and the topper plan shelved. If I had room for 30 pins, I would have kept it for the awesome novelty. But, sadly, I don't.

Made a gameplay video! ... with a very liberal tilt bob.

Topper2.jpgTopper2.jpg

#48 10 years ago

#49 10 years ago

Yeah, I posted a pick of the topper in my post above.

And I did more than sketch; artwork, including rear opacity layer all finished, and cut angles all worked out for the odd-shaped wooden frame (which emulated the stacked cubes). It's done.

It's been a couple years but I believe WWF:RR took its place.

#50 10 years ago

Testing out glass production soon. I have to order in some glass blanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monrovia, MD
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/qberts-quest-pinball-restore-game-play-owners/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.