• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pin-up
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Q-Bert (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Just picked up a Qbert arcade game the other day. Got it up and running, but the battery pack on the pcb (which has been removed now) was dead, so there are a couple non dip switch settings and the high scores that don't get saved when you power off.

I know there are multigame and high score save kits out there, but those seem old and out dated.

It seems like I should just be able to remove one of the 6116 ram chips in sockets and pop in the same 6116 nvram chip that's used in all these pinball machines now a days..... and done.

Anyone try this yet?

There are several 6116's on the Qbert pcb..... just give them a try one at a time and see what happens? No?

#3 4 years ago

I tried a 6116 nvram in all of the 6116 sockets one at a time. It does not save any of the settings or high scores.

Just going to have to purchase a kit for that instead of putting a pinball nvram chip in that I've already got on hand.

Ah well. Worth a shot I suppose.

B6 cannot be replaced with a 6116 nvram chip..... its a 74hc138.... maybe we're misunderstanding here. The board's working fine, but the original battery is long dead. I just wanted to see if I could put in a 6116 nvram that I have from many of my pins, in the Qbert so I didn't have to order a qbert specific high score save kit.

That's all.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

My bad. I didn't look good enough, sorry.
I think you need two NVram chip in both C5 and C6.
It's kind of odd that B6 is also battery powered.....
This would put an extra load on the battery.

I tried both at the same time, but no go. Oh well. On to better things.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/qbert-nvram?tu=Pin-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.