Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 81 days ago by pinballplusMN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WDB95-4 (resized).JPG
    WDB95-3 (resized).JPG
    WDB95-2 (resized).JPG
    WDB95-1 (resized).JPG
    RD WDB095 5V.png
    RD WDB095 GI.png
    IMG_5977 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 83 days ago

Drivers?
    LM1085's are actually low-dropout voltage regulators - 5V, 3A.

... confused.
    Are they actually using a 5V regulator to the lamps and turning the regulators on and off?
    Note that although they are rated up to 3 amps - in order to get three amps through them, they must be kept within liquid nitrogen.
    Novel idea, though.

#13 83 days ago

Picture is worth 1000 words.
    Curious - which TRIAC are they using?

#15 83 days ago

I wonder if the LM1085's used at the TRIAC locations were a manufacturing error that didn't get caught during their 'strenuous testing'.

Regarding TRIACSs --
    MAC210A8G -- formerly made by On-Semiconductor (Motorola). On-Semi sold off TRIACs and SCR's to Littelfuse (yes, the fuse manufacturer) so they are now made by Littelfuse.

Just a quick scan through the data sheets and compared the MAC210A8G to the often used BT138-600E:
    Both are rated for 600V which is more than adequate.
    MAC210A8G has a 10 amp rating, BT138 has a 12 amp rating.
    The MAC210 requires 3x to 5x the amount of gate current (IGT) to trigger the TRIAC.
    The MAC210 has a slightly higher VGT trigger voltage than the BT138.
    Since the gate is driven by a 2N5401 - I don't see VGT or IGT being the issue.
    Not a lot of difference but the BT138's were a tiny bit better than the MAC210s in nearly all other specs, I didn't see any real show stoppers other than the three small ones listed above.
    Note - I only glanced through the specs and didn't do any real digging into this.
    One thing that can make a big difference -- is the heatsink used by RD the same as those used on the original Wms boards?

Probably the reason they used the MAC210s - they're widely available while the BT138-600E parts are a bit harder to find and cost more.
    The pinouts were the same and so is the biasing circuit - the BT138-600E parts can be a direct replacement.

#25 82 days ago

WOW! Clearly they were shipping untested boards.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside