(Topic ID: 134038)

Q: Replacing large display in batman Forever (18vdc?)

By pinballplusMN

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinballplusMN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_04061.jpg
IMG_04051.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hello, Working with a client that ordered a new display for his Batman Forever. Upon checking the pinouts the 12vdc measures at 18vdc at the connector. This 18 vdc comes (purple wire) from the lamp matrix area. As the display calls for 12vdc am I safe to plug this in? Or is the display capable of running on 18vdc as well.? Thanks in advance! JR

#2 5 years ago

Just a bump for the morning crowd. Thanks! JR Im replacing a Babcock display with a Vishay from Pinball Life. Wondering if Plug and play. Don't want to smoke 400$$ Thanks!

#3 5 years ago

Doesn't he have the old display? You can see what it measures with the old one connected.

#4 5 years ago

I replaced a large DMD on a Frankenstein.

It most likely will not be plug and play. The molex connector on the DMD should list what the voltages should be (it's a little white sticker on the top of the connector soldered to the DMD). If you compare those voltages to the molex connector on your old display (again, look for that little white sticker) the voltages will probably be different (I think I had a Cherry display and replaced that with a Babcock).

If your DMD doesn't have the little white sticker on the molex connector, you will have to find the schematics. The old DMD I replaced didn't have the sticker (the new DMD did), but the display came with the schematics and told me what the voltages should be. I know Batman Forever manuals are pretty much non-existent, but the Frankenstein manual should have all the information you need for this. Here is the manual:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/947/Sega_1995_Mary_Shelley_s_Frankenstein_English_Manual_pages_67_93_which_are_the_schematics_OCR_searchable.pdf

Page 21 shows the Babcock display. "P1 Power" shows what you need, 12V, Gnd, Gnd, N/C (Not Connected). I took two pictures to give you an idea of what I did. Looks like I replaced mine with a Babcock display. They are probably the only large plasma DMDs left at this point.

IMG_0405[1].JPGIMG_0406[1].JPG

#5 5 years ago

Also note that in the manual schematics for other displays can be found (I think the page before is the Cherry display).

#6 5 years ago

Hello, thanks so much . Just one question . My 12 volt blue wire is reading 18vdc. Could this be an issue when hooking up the new display? Dont want to overpower and blow 400 If you would be so kind could you please measure that blue wire voltage? (thats spliced into the red? ) Thanks in advance! JR

#7 5 years ago

You said you are replacing your Babcock with a Vishay from pinball life. I don't see a Large Vishay DMD for sale. Can you take some pictures? Of the molex connector on the display and the connector coming into the display? Some pictures of the actual display perhaps?

The purple (blue?) should be 18V (at least on Frankenstein). What voltages does the Vishay DMD require?

#8 5 years ago

Here we go. Schematic for the Vishay large dmd is here:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/37013/192g0641.pdf

Looks like Pin 1 requires a min. of 10v, max of 28v. Pins 2 and 3 are ground. And Pin 4 is not connected.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 50.00
$ 224.99
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside