Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4338 (resized).JPG
    20220114_104223 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I have a client with a hardtop. Early run installed ( not by me)It has crystallization between art and coating. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before? Possibly the surface wasnt prepped properly? These marks underneith are only where the ball travels.
    Crazy thing is I did a call 2 years ago on this game and it was fine.

20220114_104223 (resized).jpg20220114_104223 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Yikes! My Comet still looks good as new. Purchased early 2018, installed shortly after purchase.

#3 2 years ago

Wow that's interesting. I am about to hardtop an EBD myself. So please keep this thread updated.

#4 2 years ago

Got the early run as well, only installed it recently. Looked fantastic and plays great but then this... Should contact Outside Edge but I'm still in a funk about the result. (love the product but not the one I received)

IMG_4338 (resized).JPGIMG_4338 (resized).JPG
    #5 2 years ago

Well I guess its good/bad Im not the only one. Hope someone can provide some insight as to the cause. Lots of work doing the prep/ and reassemble on these. Perhaps it was an early batch of hardtops?

#6 2 years ago

Tedlar what prep did you do? Did you notice any bow to the playfield prior to putting the hard top down?

#7 2 years ago

Apex - I did a complete strip, replaced colored inserts (they were all crazed), sand/2k primer repeat, left it hanging vertically ~7mos then applied the hardtop and rebuilt from the ground up. Playfield and rails were all quite flat and it looked gorgeous. I think pinballplusMN nailed it with the early batch, I ordered it as soon as it was available then sat on it for quite a while.

Disappointing thing is after all that effort, there's nothing I can do to fix it short of replacing with a CPR or finding a roached EBD to hardtop (again).

#8 2 years ago

A few of us had to weather this storm. In short the company that produced the ink for the hardtops took the chemical out that makes it bond to the plastic without telling OE and there was a run that a few unlucky people got.
    Call Outside Edge let Bruce know you got one of the bad ones.

Start here then as you read I replace my hardtop at post 156

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thruster-i-just-met-her-xenon-restoration-/page/3#post-6070033

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

A few of us had to weather this storm. In short the company that produced the ink for the hardtops took the chemical out that makes it bond to the plastic without telling OE and there was a run that a few unlucky people got.
    Call Outside Edge let Bruce know you got one of the bad ones.
    Start here then as you read I replace my hardtop at post 156
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thruster-i-just-met-her-xenon-restoration-/page/3#post-6070033

How bad was removing the hard top?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

How bad was removing the hard top?

It wasn’t that bad to be honest other than the frustration of having to do it. I documented the whole thing in that thread I linked. Use a heat gun and find the sweet spot where it gets hot enough to lift the adhesive but not too hot that the art stays behind. Then goo gone the remaining adhesive away.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

It wasn’t that bad to be honest other than the frustration of having to do it. I documented the whole thing in that thread I linked. Use a heat gun and find the sweet spot where it gets hot enough to lift the adhesive but not too hot that the art stays behind. Then goo gone the remaining adhesive away.

Ah thanks! Ya was curious as the 3m tape isn’t permanent but there’s tricks to making it come up

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Ah thanks! Ya was curious as the 3m tape isn’t permanent but there’s tricks to making it come up

One of the guys from 3M told me to use goo gone and heat which lined up with both Outside Edge and Vid’s suggestions.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thruster-i-just-met-her-xenon-restoration-/page/4#post-6088863

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/q-hardtop-issue-question- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.