Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone, picked up my first Gottlieb today, which was a the very odd-ball, Q-Bert. Absolutely loving the game and its more "arcade" style rule set, but unfortunately i have already experienced its first issue. All the lamps are out and not really sure where to start looking with this machine - the GI lights are all fine. the F6 8A Fuse has blown. I didn't have a spare 8A, so tried to 7A which got the lights working for around 2 seconds before going again.

Where should i start with working out what is causing the fuse to blow?

#2 5 years ago

Check for sockets shorting their tabs .

#3 5 years ago

First Gottlieb!? That sucker is supremely rare!

#4 5 years ago

I know - thats why i jumped at it - would look too good next to my Mr & Mrs Pac-Man

I think i must be tired, its my second Gottlieb, have an Incredible Hulk as well, although i have had minimal trouble with that one in the couple of months i have had it...... Have a Haunted House coming in a few weeks as well so will need to get up to date with Gottliebs, quick smart.

I am still very fresh when it comes to pinball repairs - when you check a lamp socket for shorts, is that done with the multi-metre?

#5 5 years ago

ignore

#6 5 years ago

ignore? what the hell

#7 5 years ago

Sorry if i am annoying guys - still working my way through learning my way around a pinball repairs. I've managed to get most things sorted = dodgy switches causing flippers to stick up or scores not registering etc - but recently bridged a machine causing a switch matrix problem by accidentally hitting a lamp connector when trying to repair a switch on a Grand Lizard. Hence, I'm weary now - if i am getting this lamp issue do i need to be checking the lamp sockets with a multi metre, or is it a case of turning the machine off and just checked all the sockets visually for dodgy connections & resoldering?

#8 5 years ago

Look for the tabs of the sockets themselves to be touching together or the socket body.. Sometimes foreign metal gets lodged by the sockets.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

ignore? what the hell

Couldn’t figure it out myself. Maybe he didn’t realize what the drain feature was, who knows.
I wish I could help you here but I’m pretty unfamiliar with these ones atm, but following along for the answer!

Also did you end up getting the right fuses? Got out and buy half a dozen because the 8A are pretty standard and you’ll eventually use them.
Might need to blow one or two while troubleshooting. Or you can buy a resettable fuse and clip that in for test purposes!

I agree it sounds like a simple short somewhere, check all the tabs and make sure nothing funky fell into one of them.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Couldn’t figure it out myself. Maybe he didn’t realize what the drain feature was, who knows.
I wish I could help you here but I’m pretty unfamiliar with these ones atm, but following along for the answer!
Also did you end up getting the right fuses? Got out and buy half a dozen because the 8A are pretty standard and you’ll eventually use them.
Might need to blow one or two while troubleshooting. Or you can buy a resettable fuse and clip that in for test purposes!
I agree it sounds like a simple short somewhere, check all the tabs and make sure nothing funky fell into one of them.

thanks mate 0 yeah ordered some today. I have a knack of having every fuse you can think of in both standard & SB - except the one that blows. its incredible.

Didn't get a chance to look further into it today, but should be able to tomorrow - When i find an answer i will make sure to post it. Thanks everyone for the help

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

ignore? what the hell

I posted fixes for the arcade game before I realized it was the pinball you wanted
help with. The board would not let me delete my post hence the ignore

#12 5 years ago

Hi everyone - i have managed to get this fixed. I went over all the sockets and gave them a little repositioning and and neaten over - nothing stood out however. I then checked the 2nd lot of fuses and found that f10 was also blown. I replaced it and lo & behold, it worked. Thanks everyone!

Have to say this table is a total hidden gem - so much fun.Just replaced all the standard globes with a mix of coloured Yellow, Orange, Blue & Purple globes (not leds - proper globes) - gotta say of my 10 machines this one just looks delicious and like retro gold now , plus - its a heck of a lot of fun.

I was quite chuffed - so decided to do the same globe do over on my incredible Hulk and gotta say - that too looks funky as now.

And then on cue = I got to play it and a switch is triggering off straight away and all the upright switches behind the rubber are not responding. The never ending cycle of fixing pinballs continues...... not tonight though, I'm going to bed

Thanks again for the assistance, much appreciated

#13 5 years ago

Fantastic! I hope to play one someday!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Fantastic! I hope to play one someday!

I will play one for you today.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/q-bert-f6-fuse-blow-no-lamps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.