(Topic ID: 88164)

Pythons joy in his last months…a special thanks to Leo and all others.

By PinballInc

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballInc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

In a conversation with Python on March 28, less than two weeks from his passing, he described the last few months of his life as “incredible” and as “the pinnacle of my career”. I was floored and found his words absolutely amazing. There was a very good reason he felt that way. I am extremely proud to say that my son, Leo Loflin, played a pivotal role to those words being spoken. And thanks to everyone that helped Python, he was able achieve what he always wanted to do…

For Python’s entire career he worked for companies who assembled his design teams for him. He had to work within the restrictions of the companies. He did not have complete control over the process. Anyone that worked with Python can attest, he was not best suited to take orders from anyone. In his last few months Python assembled his own team to work with him. Python, for once, was in complete charge of the process. Python did not have to take orders from anyone, he gave the orders. Python designed what he wanted to design.

Here's how he was able...

Python wanted to live his final days at his own residence so that he could be surrounded by his works and the tools of his craft. He wanted to continue to draw, design and build the machine of his own vision. From November 2013 until January 21, 2014 he was doing just that, he was still completely self-sufficient and was still assembling his team.

On January 21, while at his home, Python suffered the side effects of severe steroid withdrawal which left him catatonic and exhausted, an ambulance was called and he was taken and admitted into the hospital. The doctors and nurses were convinced that he only had days to live. Then the miracle happened.

On January 28, Roger Sharpe visited Python in the hospital and reported that he was really bad off and the outlook was bleak.

Python later stated that the visit from Roger was the inspiration to begin his new “fight” and indeed the very next morning Python began his fight to get off the canvas one more time. Later Wednesday evening Steve Ritchie, Greg Freres and John Trudeau visited him. The timing couldn't have been better. He lit up. For over an hour he and his old partners exchanged stories and laughed it up. One funny part of the visit was Steve Ritchie’s hearing is not very good and Python’s voice was somewhat weak. John Trudeau basically had to act as the interpreter for them.

By Thursday, the doctors and nurses were astounded by Python’s miraculous mental and physical recovery. His recovery was so fantastic that the hospital was in a position that they were going to facilitate his release and he was going to be allowed to make his own decision as to where he wanted to go.

Thursday Python received yet another visitor, Lonnie McDonald who presented to Python the “Hall of Fame” trading card which is an incredible series of cards and the work of the most generous Walter Day. Lonnie also presented to Python a beautiful plaque to accompany the card. By this time Python was ready to get up and dance out of the hospital.

Friday, January 31, the hospital was to now setting in motion the release of Python. Before his release the last joyous visit to his room was made whereas Python was presented a very special set (actually two sets) of whitewood playfields. These playfields were the result of one of Pythons projects which he was working and the work of his team. For him to see those playfields was the absolute greatest. He swiped his finger across one of the playfields, put the finger in his mouth and exclaimed “it tastes better than pus--“. Later, knowing that he was to be discharged from the hospital and seeing the whitewoods Python told Paul Kiefert “it has been the best day of my life”.

The release from the hospital placed him under the management of a hospice team. Python had three choices- go to a care facility, go to a family member’s home, or go to his own residence where he would be required to have a live-in care provider. To Python only he only had one choice, go to his own home. That was it, nothing else.

Unfortunately his blood family refused to pay for his live-in care. Fortunately his chosen family, the pinball community, stepped up and raised the funds for the care to be paid for along with his living expenses. This allowed Python to do what Python wanted to do in whatever time he had remaining, be at home and continue to work.

The live-in care required an 8 hour sleep period along with a two day break every 10 days. This is where my dear son, Leo Loflin, stepped up. Leo volunteered to move into frigid Chicago from Atlanta and stay with Python for however long required. Being 22 Leo is a natural nocturnal fit to fill in for those periods the care provider required rest. Python and Leo were very good friends and it really helped that Python had someone he knew there with him all the time.

From February 1 until March 26 Python was very active doing what he enjoyed doing, drawing and designing. He also did two live video feeds to pinball shows, Ohio and Louisville.

On March 26 Python suffered an “event” which took a toll on the nerves in his brain. Although he remained very lucid and cognitive his vision was diminished and it was then that he began to get weaker by the day. It became very difficult for him to get up and do the things he enjoyed, although he did continue to do limited amounts of work until two days before his passing. It was during this period which the live-in care provider and my son Leo were incredible. Neither left his side during their shifts. Much of the time it required both to attend to Pythons needs. My son stayed next to his bed for 8 hours every night, not sleeping one wink, tending to every need of Python. Leo’s selfless dedication was amazing. Leo stayed with Python for two months without any pay just because Python, his friend, needed help. Many times, because Pythons car was no longer available, Leo walked almost four miles round trip in the frigid Chicago winter to buy groceries or other needed items for Python.

On April 8th I left Python for what would be the last time I would see him alive. Before I left, he asked Leo and the care provider to leave the room as he wanted a private moment. His last words to me will resonate in my mind for the rest of my life. And the promises he made me make will be kept. The last thing he did before I left was sign one of his “hall of fame” cards which he gave me and made me promise I would give to Phoebe Smith. It would be the last thing he ever signed.

Sadly, the very next day, my son Leo called me to give me the bad news that Python was gone. Leo and the care provider were with him. Leo was holding his hand. Leo said Python simply lay down, closed his eyes and just a few moments later exhaled his last breath. It was very peaceful and it was exactly noon in Chicago, April 9, 2014.

It cannot be expressed with words how grateful Python was to everyone that stepped up in his final weeks to allow him to do the only thing he wanted to do in that final time. This means EVERYONE who helped- the large donors, the $5 donors, the ones who wrote cards and letters, the ones who visited, the ones who did benefits, the ones who played in the benefit tournaments, the ones who were in the audience in his last video seminars, and the people who prayed for him. We all have something to be proud of, we made his last wishes come true and we made his last few weeks the pinnacle of his career. Without all of us, it would have never happened.

On April 9th the pinball community and the world lost a powerful figure. The human language does not have the capability to justly describe Python. His void will never be filled. Python was the MOST colorful person pinball has ever had and will ever have. From his friends, to those who ever met him and to anyone that has ever played one of his games we all were and are part of “Python’s world” and we are all truly blessed.

The live-in care providers name was Wishes Nsunza. It was most appropriate.

Thank you Leo, I have never been more proud to have you as my son.

Good-bye for now Python.

3 weeks later
    #34 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

Very nice James. Thanks for telling us this story. Means a lot. Sounds like you've raised one Hell of a son!!
    What happens to his team and the game he was working on? I really hope we get to see it someday!

One of the promises Python asked me for during that last private conversation was that I "take care of the boys and keep the team together!" His last demand he ever made to me was "make sure that game gets made, I want to see that game finished".

The team is still together and going forward. We don't care what it takes, the game will get made. I will keep my promises. One of the reasons I'm retiring from the ramp business is so that I can dedicate the time to get it done.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, they mean an incredible amount to Leo and myself.

#36 9 years ago

Thanks Jerry, he really enjoyed that trip. We all loved visiting the pinball hot spots! I'm seriously thinking of making the show again this year.

#42 9 years ago

Thanks again everyone. It was the entire pinball community that facilitated Python's joy in the last few months. He would not have been able to stay at home and work if not for everyone who contributed especially those who donated so that he could pay for the necessary care and living expenses. There are others that helped directly including but not limited to, Paul Keifert, John Balogh, Eugene Jarvis, Steve Tsubota, George Iepure, Al Warner, Charlie Emory, Ben Heck, Lonnie McDonald, Jim Zespy, Josh Sharpe, Roger Sharpe, Mark Ritchie, Greg Freres, Steve Ritchie, John Trudeau, Mark Hoff...I know there is a host more.

The bottom line was Python enjoyed being able to do what he wanted to do those last days and most important and above all Python knew he was loved by the family he chose, his pinball family.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballInc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pythons-joy-in-his-last-months%e2%80%a6a-special-thanks-to-leo-and-all-others?tu=PinballInc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.