(Topic ID: 29320)

Python Anghelo - Is he the JJP mystery designer?

By riggy469

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3137.jpg
    IMG_3135.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3133.jpg
    image.jpg
    sassyhartman.jpg
    image-32.jpg
    There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Hardly. The games are EXACLTY the same, except for more rules and more toys (sometimes). I mean the DMD hasn't even advanced past when it first came out in 1992.

1992 wasnt 25 years ago. There is a huge difference between modern games and crap from the 80's - where you were lucky to have a ramp.

Quoted from RCA1:

O.K. This is a parody right?
    Fuel injection, anti-lock brakes, traction control, emission controls, etc.
    Include power steering and brakes and radial tires if you want.

All of which existed 25 years ago. This is the timeframe I selected as it seemed to be about Python's time frame according to ipdb.

Anyways, my argument is all pretty moot since someone showed me the pinball circus.

#52 11 years ago

Too bad his games have a tendency to unbalanced scoring and skill shot devices taking up too much space. Ideas, artwork and crazyness factor are one of a kind.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Not much has changed in the arena of driving. And that older car runs on the same roads as current cars. Modern pinball games are quite different than their 25 year old counterparts.

You knowledge about automobiles and pinball is obviously superficial.

At least your ignorance is consistent across many fields.

Keep flaunting it for our entertainment.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

1992 wasnt 25 years ago. There is a huge difference between modern games and crap from the 80's - where you were lucky to have a ramp.

Dude... first of all the display was developed in 1990 and implemented in 1991. You're kidding right? The first ramp was used in freakin' 1953 and was pretty common in the 80s. At this point you are either profoundly ignorant, or just trolling. And it's obviously the latter, so stop derailing threads with this nonsense.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I can see the attraction "back in the day" when video game speech was barely invented. Maybe the Microsoft SAM voice was neat then but now that game is super dated. I mean what does it really offer to shoot at? One ramp and a few targets? That just can't hold up to modern designs. Imagine the outrage if stern put something like that out. Jackbot was my favorite of the series. But I got bored of that after a couple weeks.

yeah nothing to shoot at in pinbot, a ramp, a target under the ramp, 3 drop targets with a moving light target, 10 standups with a moving light, 3 different holes, and a wickedly hard advance planet standup. sure nothing to shoot.

#56 11 years ago

Wow...who is Python.... I had to delete everything else I had written, as I'm sure I would be banned, or it would have at least been deleted by a mod....

Show some respect for a pinball god! And as for Pinbot, there is little to mod the piss out of, so I can see how it may not appeal to some... It's only one of the best playing machines ever made.

Man.... I am shaking my head after reading this thead. I wish I hadn't opened it.

Python, if you read this, you are loved by the pinball public.

#57 11 years ago

I know everyone doesn't want to hear it, but I don't really like the Pinbot series either. For instance the example of all the amazing shots posted above me. None of those shots are super satisfying in my opinion. To get back on topic I hope Python can bring some more creativity into the pinball world. The pins he's worked on tend to stay away from typical. Let's see what he can do in todays pin world.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

None of those shots are super satisfying in my opinion.

Hitting Solar Ride's with the music and explosions going off, while the visor is up and down - one of the best all around theatrical experiences in pinball.

#59 11 years ago

Python? He's just another Art guy from 30+ years ago. Really? Lets dig up Harry Williams and see if he can add something old to pinball?? Move on, look forward and design something new. Quit looking for the quick and easy fix of going after old "Talent". If you follow the same old path it takes you to the same destination, the end of pinball!

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Hitting Solar Ride's with the music and explosions going off, while the visor is up and down - one of the best all around theatrical experiences in pinball.

In your opinion. I was not amazed by it. Never will be. Then again the pin came out before I was born, so that could have something to do with it. I know it's very popular, and I'm a minority in my thoughts on it, but I truly believe it's a boring pin. I've played tons of games on it, got grand champion score on my friends Pinbot, just never left feeling like I needed to play again.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from Exejet:

Python? He's just another Art guy from 30+ years ago. Really? Lets dig up Harry Williams and see if he can add something old to pinball?? Move on, look forward and design something new. Quit looking for the quick and easy fix of going after old "Talent". If you follow the same old path it takes you to the same destination, the end of pinball!

You really can't help yourself, can you?

#62 11 years ago

I owned Pinbot for 12 years (just sold it yesterday), and was one of my favorites in the arcade back in the day. Fun game, but imho is showing its age next to some of the newer machines. Great pin for the price though, especially for those for whom it has nostalgic value.

#63 11 years ago

Hitting the solar ride during solar eclipse is pretty challenging. I always seem to slam the ball right of the ramp into the post because I get too anxious. I like the timed nature of the drop targets and solar eclipse.

As far as design and art, you can only compare contemporaries to contemporaries. Pin*bot came out during a time of great science fiction movies like The Terminator, Robocop, etc. Look at the original themes that came out of Gottlieb during the same time (RAVEN?!)

Yeah, with the price of computers dirt cheap it's easy to see a Tron and like it more. But for its time, Pin*bot is practically a masterpiece.

#64 11 years ago

You've actually got to control the ball in PB, its not just hit the ramp, ball returns in controlled way to flipper, repeat. When you go for the targets you have to regain control to make the next shot.

#65 11 years ago

Hey, if he turns on all the old timers to buy new games then its good for Pinball.

#66 11 years ago

The funny thing is that Steve Ritchie is probably as old as anybody in pinball these days.

#67 11 years ago

Steve Ritchie is 62 years old.

Python Anghelo is 58 years old.

Quoted from Exejet:

#68 11 years ago

If Python ends up working on a new machine, its not as though someone unfroze him from 1994. The game would be made in the present time with his experience and prospective of all eras of pinball. I would like to see what he makes. I would also like to what a new designer/artist can come up with.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

If Python ends up working on a new machine, its not as though someone unfroze him from 1994. The game would be made in the present time with his experience and prospective of all eras of pinball. I would like to see what he makes.

Don't waste your breath trying to explain it to some of these guys.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

I can't believe that Python's Pinball Circus is finally going to happen!

It's not. The only thing it will have in common is the name.

LTG : )

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I don't get it.

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

LTG said:

I don't get it.

I don't know how to explain it any simpler.

Python designed a Pinball Circus machine for Williams.

Python will now design a Pinball Circus machine for JJP. NOT A COPY OF HIS EARLIER WORK. A whole new, a whole different, pinball machine.

#73 11 years ago

Oh, well that's obvious. I thought you meant something else.

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Python will now design a Pinball Circus machine for JJP. NOT A COPY OF HIS EARLIER WORK. A whole new, a whole different, pinball machine.

Good point LTG. I'm sorry if my pic was misleading to anyone. Since JJP is all about pushing pinball technology forward (and IF JJP turns out to be the manufacturer), it would obviously make sense for Python to push the limits of what's possible with today's modern technology & not simply use what he was limited to 18 years ago when he designed the original Pinball Circus. What we know is that Python did state at Expo that "Pinball Circus is going to happen", but he didn't confirm who is going to manufacture it, although he did plug JJP & WOZ a bit.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I would also like to what a new designer/artist can come up with.

Take a look at Predator, that zombie game from ben heck and a few others.

End of the day, these "new" games are merely just new layouts. I don't expect a "new" designer/artist fresh to the game is really going to innovate anything (assemblies, the way you play, the way you interact, etc). I would absolutely expect the veterans of the game to take it to the next level. They already know the in's and out's of the game. They've already spent 30 years stubbing their toes on what DOESN'T work, and they have a pretty clear idea of what DOES work.

Pinball designers and lack of creativity isn't what killed them to begin with, it was the fact arcades died and people shifted to home entertainment.

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You knowledge about automobiles and pinball is obviously superficial.
    At least your ignorance is consistent across many fields.
    Keep flaunting it for our entertainment.

Thanks for a post that contains no content on the subject and only serves to insult me.

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I don't know how to explain it any simpler.
    Python designed a Pinball Circus machine for Williams.

Hmmmm. Wasn't Jack just in Vegas a week or so ago, at the Pinball Hall of Fame? Coincidence?

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from riggy469:

Hmmmm. Wasn't Jack just in Vegas a week or so ago, at the Pinball Hall of Fame? Coincidence?

Hmmmmmm.........by golly you are right. Must be JJP is going to fully remake 16 year old technology and produce remakes of the real Pinball Circus machine in Vegas.

Why sell a thousand new pins when you can easily sell 25 to 50 of these.

I think you are onto something. I must have heard Python wrong at Expo.

#79 11 years ago

By the way, I believe that Python lives in or near Chicago.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Hmmmmmm.........by golly you are right. Must be JJP is going to fully remake 16 year old technology and produce remakes of the real Pinball Circus machine in Vegas.
    Why sell a thousand new pins when you can easily sell 25 to 50 of these.
    I think you are onto something. I must have heard Python wrong at Expo.

I don't know, Lloyd. I am a detective, ya know.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Thanks for a post that contains no content on the subject and only serves to insult me.

I would say "You're welcome!", but I'm not here to spar with others.

You came into and crapped all over a thread where people were excited about one of the true geniuses coming back to pinball.

You insulted Python and his incredible body of work.

You even went as far as to say games like Comet (which sold 8000+ games in the middle of the video game invasion, and was an enormous money maker on route) sucked.

So, when someone points out your ignorance, you squawk? The troll kept on trolling, all night long....

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from riggy469:

I don't know, Lloyd. I am a detective, ya know.

Really ?

Then you must know of other Pinball Circus plans

#83 11 years ago

You came into and crapped all over a thread where people were excited about one of the true geniuses coming back to pinball.
    You even went as far as to say games like Comet (which sold 8000+ games in the middle of the video game invasion, and was an enormous money maker on route) sucked.
    So, when someone points out your ignorance, you squawk? The troll kept on trolling, all night long....

Sassy!

sassyhartman.jpgsassyhartman.jpg

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Really ?
    Then you must know of other Pinball Circus plans

I'll never tell. :-*

#85 11 years ago

Interesting - Python's praise of JJP is unusual considering his known history.

Just no Zingy Bingy, please!

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

Here is a link to listen to Python's Top Cast episode (for anyone that hasn't heard it):
    http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/topcast_42.mp3

Greatest interview EVER!

Required listening material for all pinball newbs.. Clay at his best.

Python is a Pinball Artist. I cant think of a better match.. from what i know about Python and JJP i am sold without knowing anything about it!

#87 11 years ago

Pinball Circus is cool at first, but gets old REALLY fast. It is a one trick pony if ever there was one. Would make a really cool boutique game if someone wanted to run 50 or 100 for big bucks.

I hope Python is involved at JJP in some way as he is truly and amazing artist. I just would rather see him work on something other than PC...

#88 11 years ago

The man!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I asked what was the big deal and who this guy was. When given a list of games he "designed", I looked them up and found two things:
    1) They were mostly attributed to other designers
    2) They were all very old and boring compared to today's designs - nothing anyone should get excited about the latest company, JJP, working on.

I then questioned this further, pointing out that games like comet, if released today as the latest JJP or Stern game, would not be well received, why anyone was excited about this. When someone pointed out that:
    1) Python actually had more to do with design than IPDB gave him credit for and
    2) Pinball Circus was solely his design, which was really pretty innovative.

Well after that, I admitted that I was also excited about Python. There's a big difference between some ultra creativity like pinball cirqus vs some old bore like comet, hurricane, and pinbot. Those games may have been great in their time, but they're not anymore. I cant get any more excited about the designer of *those* games coming to modern pinball as I could get excited for say the designer of Asteroids coming to xbox 360. But all this became moot the second I saw Pinball Circus. That's another beast entirely, and I am very excited for *that* designer to be making current pinball.

And then, after the fact, after I admitted that I now see the light, you come with nothing relevant to say except that I am ignorant. You say you're "not here to spar". Yet that's all your post accomplished. Every single other person, whether they agreed with me or not, managed to add some level of content to their response that was pertinent. Even though most of them indicated that they thought I was an idiot for saying I hated games like pinbot etc, at least they had some content to their response. Not you. You're not here to spar, yet you're just here to tell me that I'm a troll and ignorant - with no comments on the subject of the topic. I get it.

#90 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure I didn't add any content. I called your credibility into question ... and that's about it. And that credibility doesn't appear to be improving with your attempt to pick a fight with (IMHO) one of the good guys. Just let it go already.

#91 11 years ago

I would be incredibly surprised if JJP would let Python design a game. Python is an artist and a unique character, but he's not an employee of JJP, neither is JPop for that matter and JPop has been heaping praise on JJP a lot lately too. I think all those guys would love to work with a well-funded company that is giving designers a lot of latitude, but from what I gather, Jack had the opportunity to hire all of them and he picked the team he wanted.

#92 11 years ago

pinball circus parts left over from original production...notice the python up kicker that didnt make it into the game! that was designed to be in the in the game and im told the location for it exists.

IMG_3133.jpgIMG_3133.jpg IMG_3134.JPGIMG_3134.JPG IMG_3135.JPGIMG_3135.JPG IMG_3137.jpgIMG_3137.jpg IMG_3145.jpgIMG_3145.jpg IMG_3147.jpgIMG_3147.jpg

#93 11 years ago

few more

IMG_3144.jpgIMG_3144.jpg IMG_3143.jpgIMG_3143.jpg IMG_3139.JPGIMG_3139.JPG

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from cpsystem3:

End of the day, these "new" games are merely just new layouts. I don't expect a "new" designer/artist fresh to the game is really going to innovate anything (assemblies, the way you play, the way you interact, etc). I would absolutely expect the veterans of the game to take it to the next level. They already know the in's and out's of the game. They've already spent 30 years stubbing their toes on what DOESN'T work, and they have a pretty clear idea of what DOES work.

Pinball designers and lack of creativity isn't what killed them to begin with, it was the fact arcades died and people shifted to home entertainment.

Yes I have seen these games and played one of them. I digress.

Quoted from PEN:

If Python ends up working on a new machine, its not as though someone unfroze him from 1994. The game would be made in the present time with his experience and prospective of all eras of pinball. I would like to see what he makes. I would also like to what a new designer/artist can come up with.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

I can't believe that Python's Pinball Circus is finally going to happen! Jersey Jack's philosophy of "letting the designer do whatever he wants" is perfect for Python. It'd be a good match.

If this is true I am very excited. I want new fun unique things that are still at there core pinball.

#96 11 years ago

whoops wrong thread

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from cpsystem3:

End of the day, these "new" games are merely just new layouts. I don't expect a "new" designer/artist fresh to the game is really going to innovate anything (assemblies, the way you play, the way you interact, etc).

P3

#98 11 years ago

From what I have heard and read of Python, he seems more like a vision, storyboard, and ideas guy than a traditional designer driving a design team to complete a project like Steve R, Pat L, John T, etc. While he may deserve more credit than he gets (e.g. art guy crossing over with some great mechanical ideas that were implemented), it may be a bit of stretch to call him a full on designer and that may be why. From what I understand he was a bit of a loose cannon and often would come and go as he pleased not being seen or heard from for days at a time. That's probably why he had a 'co-designer' on every game he was given designer credit for. It's hard to drive a team when you're unreliable and MIA at times. I guess the only ones who would really know are those that worked with him.

Rob

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

PinB said:

I can't believe that Python's Pinball Circus is finally going to happen! Jersey Jack's philosophy of "letting the designer do whatever he wants" is perfect for Python. It'd be a good match.

If this is true I am very excited. I want new fun unique things that are still at there core pinball.

It's not.

If Python designs a pin it will have the name Pinball Circus. But it will be brand new from the ground up. It won't be his original design he did for Williams.

#100 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I can name plenty of 80's games that are more fun than what has been released in the past 12 years.

Really? You've found nothing worthwhile to play in the last 12 years? LOTR, TSPP, SM, FGY, Tron, AC/DC, they all suck?

Quoted from unigroove:

Since you don't know who Python is: why don't you do some homework and find out? When I announced the first issue of Pinball Magazine...

It worries me that you would bash everything Stern has made in the last 12 years, then in the next breath mention your magazine called Pinball Magazine. Not long ago, you incorrectly attributed Stern's change in direction to JJP here. Maybe you should change the name to WMS Magazine instead? Or maybe WMS and JJP Magazine. That way you wouldn't even have to talk about all those dreadful games Stern has put out in the last 12 years.

Personally, I'm a fan of games. Not any particular game designer or programmer. And definitely not any particular manufacturer. I like all the Stern games listed above and plenty more.

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/python-anghelo-is-he-the-jjp-mystery-designer/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.