(Topic ID: 29320)

Python Anghelo - Is he the JJP mystery designer?

By riggy469

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3137.jpg
    IMG_3135.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3133.jpg
    image.jpg
    sassyhartman.jpg
    image-32.jpg
    There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Check this out: http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2012/pythonanghelo.mp3

Go to the 42 min. mark and listen to what Python has to say.

Is he the mystery designer that Jack has alluded to in the past? Is Pinball Circus the unlicensed theme for JJP game #2 or 3?

Pretty interested times ahead.

#2 11 years ago

I love Python, I hope he's involved somehow...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pythons-back-

#3 11 years ago

Who is this guy and why should we be excited about a relatively unheard of guy making the next game?

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Who is this guy and why should we be excited about a relatively unheard of guy making the next game?

LOL, that's good material!

#5 11 years ago

I love his pins! One of my first pins was Comet.

#7 11 years ago

Unheard of? He's been involved in a lot of games. Listen to some of his interviews/videos/etc. He's one of, if not the most interesting person ever involved with pinball...

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Is this sarcasm?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Let's see.......

He designed Pin-Bot, Popeye, Comet, Taxi, BOP, Big Guns, and worked with Mark Ritchie on FT.

#10 11 years ago

Find his topcast interview, great stuff...

#11 11 years ago

So from ipdb, the games he is listed on he did art on most. There are none where he is the designer. He co-designed a couple but those titles like fish tales, taxi, Pinbot are generally attributed to Oursler or Mark Ritchie. Most the games on that ipdb list are ancient and generally not highly regarded. I mean comet, hurricane, flipper football?? What the hell is everyone so excited about here?

#12 11 years ago

He gives JJP and WOZ big props around the 58 minute mark. Very interesting!

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

What the hell is everyone so excited about here?

PINBALL!!

#14 11 years ago

He is different, eccentric, you never know what to expect. He does awesome artwork too, that's why I said I hope he's involved "somehow", even just as an artist...he bucks the trend, he does things his way..not cookie cutter shit...

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Let's see.......
    He designed Pin-Bot, Popeye, Comet, Taxi, BOP, Big Guns, and worked with Mark Ritchie on FT.

Pinbot - Oursler
    Popeye - Oursler and sucks
    Comet - Oursler and sucks and Anghelo did art not design
    Taxi - Mark Ritchie
    BOP - Oursler
    Big Guns - Mark Ritchie
    Fish Tales - Mark Ritchie.

Yea he seems to have been a helper in some of these games and a talented art guy. But I would not be excited about him being a lead designer. And of the games listed above, I don't really like any of them. The Pinbot series is horrible and it's all very old. We are seriously excited about someone that has done only helper work on old classics many of which are considered sort of turd titles doing lead design work 25 years later?

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

No brainer on those two. I should have been more detailed on the design.

#17 11 years ago

Python is a genious that needs a good filter to make those ideas work in a commercial industry, hopefully If it true jjp can be that filter and some amazing things could happen.

#18 11 years ago

"The Pinbot series is horrible"
    Ummmm no.

#19 11 years ago

Python is overrated and I cannot imagine anyone giving him a job now, after all the bridge burning he has done.

...and JJP's mystery table was a garage built Nordman design that went with him when he quit.....err.....his contract ran out....errr.......

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

He did just say that, didn't he. Wow. Not a widely shared opinion.

#21 11 years ago

Is he related to Monty Python?

#22 11 years ago

The names i want to hear in descending order: Eddy, Oursler, Lawlor. None will come to fruition.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Find his topcast interview, great stuff...

No kidding! Definitely one of the more colorful interviews...

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Pinbot - Oursler
    Taxi - Mark Ritchie
    BOP - Oursler
    Big Guns - Mark Ritchie
    Fish Tales - Mark Ritchie.
    Yea he seems to have been a helper in some of these games and a talented art guy. But I would not be excited about him being a lead designer. And of the games listed above, I don't really like any of them. The Pinbot series is horrible and it's all very old. We are seriously excited about someone that has done only helper work on old classics many of which are considered sort of turd titles doing lead design work 25 years later?

Are you going solely on IPDB? From what I understand Python had a much more instrumental role in most of those games than he is given credit for. You just have to listen to interviews and generally dig a little deeper to pick up on those sorts of details. You're right that it's not worth getting super excited about him actually laying out a playfield, but it's very exciting that he's possibly involved in pinball again somehow. Also, whatever you think of those games (you have said all pre-DMD games are horrible numerous times, so this is not surprising), a few of them were huge sellers.. That's gotta be worth something.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

LOL. Classic.

Proves Mark isn't kidding when he says that he was completely new to this hobby as of a couple years ago and never played pinball back in the day.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

LOL. Classic.
    Proves Mark isn't kidding when he says that he was completely new to this hobby as of a couple years ago and never played pinball back in the day.

Jack read The Fountainhead and he likes it.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Jack read The Fountainhead and he likes it.

Hahahahaah! Classic!

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

LOL. Classic.

You nailed it lol.

Quoted from mojozone:

Ummmm no.

I can see the attraction "back in the day" when video game speech was barely invented. Maybe the Microsoft SAM voice was neat then but now that game is super dated. I mean what does it really offer to shoot at? One ramp and a few targets? That just can't hold up to modern designs. Imagine the outrage if stern put something like that out. Jackbot was my favorite of the series. But I got bored of that after a couple weeks.

Quoted from bobbyconover:

Are you going solely on IPDB? From what I understand Python had a much more instrumental role in most of those games than he is given credit for. You just have to listen to interviews and generally dig a little deeper to pick up on those sorts of details. You're right that it's not worth getting super excited about him actually laying out a playfield, but it's very exciting that he's possibly involved in pinball again somehow. Also, whatever you think of those games (you have said all pre-DMD games are horrible numerous times, so this is not surprising), a few of them were huge sellers.. That's gotta be worth something.

I am going mainly off ipdb. And you're right. I do think most pre-Dmd games suck. Except maybe Earthshaker. I realize those games may have been extremely popular. But they don't hold up to today's offerings. Good in the 80's does not mean still good today. So based on that, I don't consider it great news that this designer would be making cutting edge games today. What we need is new blood.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I realize those games may have been extremely popular. But they don't hold up to today's offerings.

Python is a genius. I can name plenty of 80's games that are more fun than what has been released in the past 12 years. If that's not your taste in pinball, that's fine. Still there are more people enjoying those games than the current ones.

Since you don't know who Python is: why don't you do some homework and find out? When I announced the first issue of Pinball Magazine was on Roger Sharpe I got some comments from people who did not understand who he was and why he was in every pinball documentary. Then they read the magazine and the admitted they had no idea this man was so influential and they looked at him with a whole different view. The same goes for Python.

The same probably goes for you as well. If I would judge you on your posts in this topic, I could draw a simple conclusion. Yet there is probably more to you than I know right now. Python returning to pinball will take it to levels you probably never even dreamed about. If you like todays games, wait till you get to play what Python has in store for you.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So based on that, I don't consider it great news that this designer would be making cutting edge games today. What we need is new blood.

You haven't played Pinball Circus, have you? If you had, I think you would realize how big of a deal this really could be.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from riggy469:

You haven't played Pinball Circus, have you? If you had, I think you would realize how big of a deal this really could be.

That game looks awesome and creative. No joke. If that's what Python is offering to bring to the table, then yea, I'd be excited.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from zackcat:

No kidding! Definitely one of the more colorful interviews...

You have to love a guy who called out Michael Stroll for wrecking Williams.

#33 11 years ago

I can't believe that Python's Pinball Circus is finally going to happen! Jersey Jack's philosophy of "letting the designer do whatever he wants" is perfect for Python. It'd be a good match. image-32.jpgimage-32.jpg

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinB:

I can't believe that Python's Pinball Circus is finally going to happen! Jersey Jack's philosophy of "letting the designer do whatever he wants" is perfect for Python. It'd be a good match.

If it does happen as a JJP pin, expect it to be in the form of a pinball machine, not some quasi-arcade/pinball gimmick/art.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

If it does happen as a JJP pin, expect it to be in the form of a pinball machine, not some quasi-arcade/pinball gimmick/art.

Are you sure? He is deep into redemption. I could see that merge fairly well and still look like pinball.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Yea he seems to have been a helper in some of these games and a talented art guy. But I would not be excited about him being a lead designer.

He is only one of the most creative minds in all of pinball that's all. LOL

Brilliant creative mind. All the other personal stuff is a different story. But I have never heard any pin designer question Pythons great creative potential.

Has anybody ever heard his Top Cast episode? One of the most entertaining pinball interviews EVER!
    His past Expo speeches are great too. Listen up, read up, then come back and talk.

Pappy

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Pinbot - Oursler

While Oursler is credited with basically making it all work together, Python is pretty much credited for the idea and most if not all of the layout. At least that is what I have gathered from talking with both Python and others about it.

The Pinbot series is horrible and it's all very old.

Uhm... no? I don't care for BOP and I don't know what to think about Jackbot, but the original Pinbot is one of the most amazing games ever created.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Has anybody ever heard his Top Cast episode? One of the most entertaining pinball interviews EVER!

Here is a link to listen to Python's Top Cast episode (for anyone that hasn't heard it):
    http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/topcast_42.mp3

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

That just can't hold up to modern designs.

Guess I should scrap out my '64 1/2 Stang, because it can't hold up to modern sport cars.

It is no fun to drive at all, knowing that higher performance models are out there.

Sheesh................................

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from riggy469:

You haven't played Pinball Circus, have you?

Heh, missed this. I have, got to the top, wouldn't drop a quarter in it again if I found it on route. Creative? Yes. Cool looking? Yes. Fun? No.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Guess I should scrap out my '64 1/2 Stang, because it can't hold up to modern sport cars.
    It is no fun to drive at all, knowing that higher performance models are out there.

I will throw my 68 convertible Firebird in that deal. Wait!?! I thought the new Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger were all designed with styling cues from the late 60's early 70's generation. They were because some things can be remade with current technology to make it much better. With that in mind it does not seem like a bad idea.

Before everybody even starts, no I do not think all the pins should be remade, I am responding to the ability of his ideas to work in todays market, not remake all the pins he has made.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Heh, missed this. I have, got to the top, wouldn't drop a quarter in it again if I found it on route. Creative? Yes. Cool looking? Yes. Fun? No.

I'm not positive, but I would guess that it wasn't exactly finshed, at least in the software department. The layout certainly isn't for everyone either. It is one of the coolest looking pins ever made though.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Are you sure? He is deep into redemption. I could see that merge fairly well and still look like pinball.

From what I heard him say on the audio, the game would not look like the pinball circus that we have seen and would be a more traditional pinball machine.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from riggy469:

I'm not positive, but I would guess that it wasn't exactly finshed, at least in the software department. The layout certainly isn't for everyone either. It is one of the coolest looking pins ever made though.

I don't know - it was put out to see earnings potential, and it sucked at doing that which is why they weren't made from what I understand... You'd think the software would be more finished if that was the issue.

I didn't like the fact they were essentially three or four mini-playfields, and nothing whole, and that once you got to the top it was over. I played the one at Expo in like 2002, made it to the top on my second ball, again on my third and felt like I never needed to play it again. If the software was better, it might have gotten the second and / or third quarter... and maybe it would have actually been produced.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

From what I heard him say on the audio, the game would not look like the Pinball Circus that we have seen and would be a more traditional pinball machine.

I agree, just thinking JJP could do something very interesting with it.

#46 11 years ago

From what I've gathered from Python and listening to his interviews....I think he sees a "designer" like a director would be on a movie. Someone that oversees almost every aspect on a game. I think the most accepted definition of the title "pinball designer" is the person that actually lays out the playfield and shots.

I think he personally took on the tasks of art and concept on most of the games he was involved in. I also know he worked closely with the mechanical engineers to design things on different machines he was involved with. My guess is that in some areas he was probably much more involved and hands on than other designers, but in other aspects he was more hands off and was just guiding the others on the design team in the direction he was wanting them to go with the game.

He also seemed to be quite a workhorse at Williams if you look at how close his releases were to one another. It seemed like one of his games would be released...then designer B...then another of his....then designer C...then another one of his...then back to designer B. It reminds me very much the way Borg was / is at Stern. If you need a game and are short on time....give it to the workhorse. They will do their best to get something put out in a hurry.

Python is incredibly talented, creative and passionate about pinball...and not afraid to show it.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Your credibility, or lack thereof is now firmly established. Thank you.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Unfortunately, this is a horrible comparison. Not much has changed in the arena of driving. And that older car runs on the same roads as current cars. Modern pinball games are quite different than their 25 year old counterparts.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Modern pinball games are quite different than their 25 year old counterparts.

Hardly. The games are EXACLTY the same, except for more rules and more toys (sometimes). I mean the DMD hasn't even advanced past when it first came out in 1992.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Not much has changed in the arena of driving

O.K. This is a parody right?

Fuel injection, anti-lock brakes, traction control, emission controls, etc.
    Include power steering and brakes and radial tires if you want.

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/python-anghelo-is-he-the-jjp-mystery-designer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.