(Topic ID: 175593)

Pyprocgame or Mission Pinball Framework

By Glarrownage

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glarrownage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I know the answer to this question is pure preference and it can be very difficult to find an objective opinion, but I figured I would ask anyway. I'm getting into my first retheme and I'll be using a PROC board since I'm more familiar with it. For those of you who have built machines with both frameworks, which do you prefer Pyprocgame or Mission Pinball Framework and why? Thanks in advance for your time.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Please consider SkeletonGame (an enhancement over pyprocgame which gets you flipping faster) in your research. http://SkeletonGame.com
    Buffy, Doom, Total Annihilation, and Iron Man HD are running in top of it (and it runs on top of pyprocgame)
    Good luck in your quest

Yeah, I guess I should have thrown that onto the pyprocgame side of things. Maybe I should have asked about the comparison of MPF and Skeletongame.

Quoted from Brickshot:

Before doing a ton of research can you summarize the maturity of SkeletonGame versus MPF? Are both platforms independent from P-ROC to FAST? I'm curious which has the best support for LCD versus DMD displays? Which has better support for RGB LED's? etc. Do you happen to know? I wish there was a matrix somewhere comparing the supported features and benefits of each platform.

Also interested in all the above information. Very curious about SkeletonGame vs MPF.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Pyprocgame is hard because of the lack of manual,but very rewarding,powerful and professional.
    Mpf makes your game flip in a few minutes and there is a ton of info in the manual.
    Our machine runs very well on it.
    With no programming skills,we were able to build us a pinball.

I think that speaks volumes about MPF that you were able to build a pinball machine with no prior programming skills. I've read that opinion from others as well.

I wish I could have a more defined question, but from my experience with any type of development is that typically the more user friendly experience comes at the cost of flexibility in the long run. Does anyone know if there are limitations to MPF as you become more familiar with pinball software development? Sorry, I know that is a very general question.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Well, once you get into complex rulesets and/or states, you need to start writing Python code to cover it. For example, to have bonus countdown lightshows on my EM conversion, I had to write code to handle it (ie. flashing the bonus lamp to turn off, add the 1000 points, repeat). The standard mode-based system isn't really set up for complex if/then conditionals in a traditional way.
    Also, it's still an evolving project so sometimes you need to request a feature, but on the plus side the guys are super responsive to the forum and feature requests and turn around is pretty quick. Each release introduces more useful features.
    I'll take that list and put up a grid tomorrow, then solicit answers.

Thanks for the reply Wilson. Writing the Python should be the fun part. I was drawn down this path for Python in particular because I have little to no interest in C or Assembly. When you say the standard mode-based system isn't set up for complex if/then conditionals, do both frameworks allow for that flexibility? Meaning, can I write my own complex if/then conditionals and have it somehow fit into the rest of the framework?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glarrownage.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pyprocgame-or-mission-pinball-framework?tu=glarrownage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.