(Topic ID: 12966)

pynball.com scams

By toyotaboy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

so I have an ad posted, and within the last month I've gotten two obvious scams. One is from poland (mispelled polland), and one from Australia. It's always non-specific "your advertisement", never mentioning where the ad was seen, probably because there's a webcrawler software that pulls data from websites, and they have an automated system that types emails. It also mentions (paying with cashier's check), and (my shipping company will pickup). also usually has broken english like "I will like if you can tell me know your asking price and the present condition".

anyone else got ads up there getting similar emails?

#2 12 years ago

I got one from the "Polland" scammer just today but he referenced my Mr. Pinball Classifieds ad.
    He's probably trying out his new Ipad2

#3 12 years ago

Happens a lot. I made a post when I wanted a CV on Mr Pinball Classifieds. Got an email saying a guy had one and sent me a pic of an EM. Another time guy sent me pics copied from GAP.

#4 12 years ago

Usually the first few emails I get from Mr. Pinball are scams followed by blessings from some gleep whose husband was killed in a coup or a coop if they have chickens. A lot of barristers and doctors live in Nigeria, every damn one of them has a degree.
    I put a WTB ad for HS bumper caps and the dolt from Cameroon had them, he has everything.
    I asked him if they were the regular caps or the prototypes that spin because I already had a set of the regular ones and was looking for the ones that spin.
    He even had the rare spinning protos, the guy has it all.
    I told him I was anxious to get them and would wire the money right away.

#5 12 years ago

there seems to be a butt ton of pins and pin parts in africa.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

there seems to be a butt ton of pins and pin parts in africa.

Yup Cameroon dude even had the banana cab I was looking for and sent me this pic.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=319&picno=6639

Was even going to sell me the whole game for the price of the cab.
    He has it all and it is all available for immediate shipping.
    I asked if it was domestic or a reimport and he had both so I had my pick of the litter.
    Told him I was very interested and would wire the money immediately if not sooner.

#7 12 years ago

Yes, I got one yesterday from "Polland" as well. I told him to give me his number and we can set something up. I thought about giving him the address of the police department..

#8 12 years ago

I get the scammers on all the classifieds I post on. Luckily there easy to spot and not a smart as they think they are. It's beyond me how anyone can fall for the half ass excuses they call a con. Last time I posted looking for a NOS plastic set they came out of the wood work. I had 5 different people message me the same day. All used the same pic used on Marco's site. Finally I found a real person that sent me a real pic. I Uasually get there name, check them out here and on RPG. I'll google them also. I posted a few days ago for nos parts for R&B. Got a response this morning that looked liget. The name was Tom Lucht. I didn't know the name off the top of my head but a quick search shows he a respected member of the pin community. I was even able to confirm the email address he messaged me from was the same one he's been using for quite a while. That tells me he's not an imposter. There's been a few people my gut told me were legit but I could not find a trace of them in the pin world so I had to pass. I probably passed up some good parts but I didn't get scammed. It seems to me there's pricer hobbies to invest time into scamming than pinball. I think much of the pinball world is full of tech savy geeks that are familiar with the net and therefor harder to scam. I think I would have to invest my time into jewelry or stamps or coins. Maybe muscle cars even. But not pinball, it's just to small of a market.

#9 12 years ago

Here is the one I got, heck it even says let the cashiers check clear......

Hello, I'm Ryan and i located in Polland. I saw your advert ad of (AD) which am interested in buying it it. I will like if you can tell me know your asking price and the present condition. I will be paying with certified cashier's check and i have a shipping company who will be coming for pick up. My shipping company will be coming for the pick up when the certified cashier's check clears. So you don't need to worry about the pick up.

Regards.

#10 12 years ago

Sounds like our "Polland" guy is working overtime this week at the local Starbucks in Nigeria or wherever he is. I can't remember who it was over on rgp but he has a bulletin board full of cashiers checks that these scammers sent him. I think it's funny they took the time and paid the postage only to never hear back from him.

Dave

#11 12 years ago

Tom Lucht is a good guy. No worries.

#12 12 years ago

The neat part is, you can make scammers do work for you. If you're looking for a part that's not available anywhere, sometimes you're gonna hafta fabricate one yourself. If you put up a wanted ad for the part, you'll get every possible picture of that part from scammers, giving you lots of nice references for fabrication. 'Course, google image search works just as well, but that's no fun.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pynballcom-scams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.