Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jenk540i
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Several days ago for the first time ever my MM reset during a game, at the time the power glitched (room lights flickered) and my AFM (on the same surge protector) also reset (it was in attract mode). It was during the wind storm. So I thought nothing of it. No other pins on the same circuit (different wall plugs) were affected.
Then last night while it was the only pin on and during game play it reset. I went to do something else in the room and while it was in attract mode I heard it reset again. But this time only the translite GIs and coin door lights came on, everything else was dead (all Playfield, DMD, diagnostic buttons, etc). I turned it off and on twice and each time it gave the single ding and only the translite GIs and coin door lights came on. Shut it down and went to bed.
Tonight I had time to explore it so I took out the translite while the game was off and turned it on to survey the diagnostic LEDs on the power board and noticed they were all on, then looked down at the Playfield and saw that everything was working, DMD, everything. Played a few games. Worked fine, no errors.

Went away for 10 minutes with the game on, came back and everything was dead again (just the translite and door lights on). This time I took out the translite with the game on and as I removed the translite everything came back on again!

Looking for explanation. Do I have something about to fail on the power board?

#2 6 years ago

Reload the software?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Reload the software?

Do you mean the game ROM?

#4 6 years ago

If your having power problems with everything, checking the 120VAC at the wall is a good start.

Resets on BW games are common with low 5v at the CPU board, so measure that.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Reload the software?

Its not an MMr

#6 6 years ago

When it's dead. Quick measure the 5 volt test point on the power driver board. I suspect one of the big diodes for the 5 volts is failing.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago

From your description, I'd suspect Q1 too. The voltage regulating transistor on the power driver board.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When it's dead. Quick measure the 5 volt test point on the power driver board. I suspect one of the big diodes for the 5 volts is failing.

Thanks Lloyd. I was thinking it was not getting the 5 volts. Each time it's died and I pulled the translite to look at the LEDs and think about checking the voltage it comes back on before I can pull the translite. Tomorrow I'll turn it on for a while with the translite out and hope it will die so I can get a reading.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.99
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/puzzled-by-temporary-mm-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.