(Topic ID: 306828)

Puzzle: Bizarre Switch Matrix Issue (with Diagram)

By DANGERTERROR

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1CCC1622-0C4F-4064-99DB-506A5E9A6D3F (resized).png
7A46766B-3D0E-443A-A970-0C169DFB8AC4 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

This Whirlwind has developed a switch error, and I am having trouble diagnosing it.

When the top and middle 3bank drop targets, either or both, are down, when the top single drop resets, it triggers game credits. I think from the middle chute. Coin door switches are not indicated in switch edges/test mode so I can only test this in gameplay.

I’ve replaced diodes for the three bank board. The coin door and can switches don’t seem to have diodes.

I’ve visually inspected other switches in the “rectangle” indicated by the triggered switches on the switch matrix, but this has some differences from the normal switch matrix puzzle so wanted to check to see if I’m missing something…

7A46766B-3D0E-443A-A970-0C169DFB8AC4 (resized).jpeg7A46766B-3D0E-443A-A970-0C169DFB8AC4 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

The coin door and can switches don’t seem to have diodes.

If they are dedicated switches they don't have diodes. Or if needed on the coin door interface board.

Is that clean ? No metal shrapnel behind it ?

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Thanks! You are suggesting to check the interface board? This doesn’t seem to have one for the coin door, like a WPC game, say.

1CCC1622-0C4F-4064-99DB-506A5E9A6D3F (resized).png1CCC1622-0C4F-4064-99DB-506A5E9A6D3F (resized).png
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

This doesn’t seem to have one for the coin door, like a WPC game,

Crap. Sorry.

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago

I should mention I’ve swapped out the MPU entirely, so if there are diodes on there for dedicated switches it’s not that…

#6 2 years ago

Bumping this for ideas from System 11 minded techs!

#7 2 years ago

Any chance one of your coin door switches is just super sensitive and the vibration from the coil reset is causing it to trigger?

Is it only when the top drop resets (not the 3 bank)? It's odd to me that it wouldn't happen when the drop goes down and triggers the switch, but it happens when it comes up...

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Any chance one of your coin door switches is just super sensitive and the vibration from the coil reset is causing it to trigger?

Good suggestion! The leaf on the micro switch could jam into the button, if the leaf is bent out of shape.

#9 2 years ago

Amusingly the switch for coin chute 3 doesn’t exist, that would be on some euro door configurations I believe but not on my US coin door. No other vibrations including the other drop bank cause this — I agree it’s odd that it happens on reset.

The drop switches are all optical, wondering if the single target board is the culprit now since it’s hacked up by a previous owner, but it’s a pretty simple board and clearly that one opto functions when dropped, it gives the proper reward. Just gets goofy on reset.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/puzzle-bizarre-switch-matrix-issue-with-diagram and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.