(Topic ID: 68179)

PINSIDE CHALLENGE: Let strangers play your machine(s) during Halloween!

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by gliebig
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_06501.jpg
    IMG_06481.jpg
    IMG_06471.jpg
    IMG_06461.jpg
    20151031_195241.jpg
    20151031_220730.jpg
    20151031_193748.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    20151031_194557-COLLAGE.jpg
    P_20151031_195855.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image1.jpg
    20151031_181708.jpg
    20151031_164200.jpg
    2015-10-31_16.13.25.jpg
    There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

We run after them with a chain saw without the chain after we lure them to the door with a nice person in silly clown outfit. Then we make it pitch black, turn on a 400 watt bulb in their eyes about 50 feet away, crank the sound system 130+ db and then come running at them from behind the light with a chainless chainsaw.
    It all happens so fast they "FREAK OUT"....We have had people hit us because we have scared the livin' shit out of them. Kids piss themselves., It causes people to go crazy. They think the chainsaw actually has a chain. Adults initially think oh this is interesting then they think they are going to get hit with a chainsaw and ; can't believe what the hell is happening. They start to think..."What if???" You got kids diving into cars and running in every direction.
    Only can do it about every 3 - 4 years. But each year you don't do it; you want to hand out amazing candy so they come back. Then you "Lure" them in.
    Guess what....This year it is on. Screw the pinball. Get a Chainsaw, bright lights, and way too much sound for the human ear.
    This year. IT IS ON!!!!!!!!!!................

Where do you live again? Will be out with the kids tonight.. LOL...

#102 10 years ago

I would totally do this if I had a way to get them up into my garage.

#103 10 years ago

I always set one game up in the decorated garage just to gain their confidence, then direct them down....to the basement.

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I thought Canadians left their doors unlocked??

We do, unless you live in Edmonton.

#105 10 years ago

I'll have my Phantom of the Opera, Tales from the Crypt and maybe Starship Troopers going in my Garage. Wife has fog machine in the back and blacklights/spiders around the edge so should be fun. We live next to the elementary school and they have a Halloween carnival so usually get a few hundred trick or treaters. Hopefully will have some of them have interest in pinball.

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I would love to do this but my pins are in the basement and it's truly a major PIA to move them up or down.
    Severe 90 degree turn on the stairs means the pins have to be lifted while standing upright to get around that corner. My friends are pissed every time I call to tell them that one is leaving or one is coming.

Story of my life. I make one friend and my legal assistant (well, he is also my bro in law) help me lug pins up and down my stairs. They love me but hate me. Course, they get to play for free as much as they want.

But they seriously wish I would quit buying, selling and trading so much...or get a home with the game room on the main floor.

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

But they seriously wish I would quit buying, selling and trading so much...or get a home with the game room on the main floor.

Two word solution:

Walkout Basement

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Two word solution:
    Walkout Basement

my basement has a walkout, but then i have to go around the side of the house up a hill over lawn to get to the garage -- that is not a trivial journey with a widebody Williams!

#109 10 years ago

Not sure if other people feel the same way. But I rather not let strangers or even neighbors know I own pins or any valuables. Window blinds are always shut and my pistols and AR15's are at my bedside. I was robbed, ziptied and bagged at gunpoint in my own home before, won't happen again. lol

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Not sure if other people feel the same way. But I rather not let strangers or even neighbors know I own pins or any valuables. Window blinds are always shut and my pistols and AR15's are loaded by my bedside. I was robbed at gunpoint in my own home before, won't happen again. lol

yes this was discussed.

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

yes this was discussed.

Ahh, I see now. I did not read all the posts. It would be great if we could trust strangers. Especially to introduce people to the hobby. But too many demons, goblins and trolls lurking in the dark that can not be trusted lol.

#112 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I set one game up in the garage to gain their confidence, then direct them down to the basement...

..and they are never seen again.

#113 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Ahh, I see now. I did not read all the posts. It would be great if we could trust strangers. Especially to introduce people to the hobby. But too many demons, goblins and trolls lurking in the dark that can not be trusted lol.

Depends where you live for sure.

If you are not comfortable... no worries. No judgement given.

I dont mind to share all of my personal info with (anyone). Pretty much been doing it for 10 years straight. I even had a live webcast of my wedding for strangers and friends a like to watch. I have 100% open public settings on my facebook... and I broadcast intimate details of my life and possessions there to nearly 30,000 people every day.

When a new pin comes home I do more than tell the neighborhood... I tell the world.

Just never been a issue for me... and yeah I have been robbed at gunpoint too.

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Depends where you live for sure.

If you are not comfortable... no worries. No judgement given.

I dont mind to share all of my personal info with (anyone). Pretty much been doing it for 10 years straight. I even had a live webcast of my wedding for strangers and friends a like to watch. I have 100% open public settings on my facebook... and I broadcast intimate details of my life and possessions there to nearly 30,000 people every day.

When a new pin comes home I do more than tell the neighborhood... I tell the world.

Just never been a issue for me... and yeah I have been robbed at gunpoint too.

I admire your courage Live Long and Prosper!

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from Stack15:

I agree. I wouldn't do that.

For that matter, don't assume theft is the only end result. They may break in and trash your shi* or find your wife home all alone. Though I don't think hauling a not so expensive pin out to the driveway and running an extension would be a bad idea (weather permitting).

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

BRIGHT LIGHTS HYPE CROWD

#119 10 years ago

Very cool!!

#120 10 years ago

Yeah, I'm going to need you to come be my neighbor.

We've had 10 total kids in almost 3 hours now.

#121 10 years ago

Handled
    image-972.jpgimage-972.jpg

#122 10 years ago

Halloween Rumble.jpgHalloween Rumble.jpg

I only had it outside for about ten minutes when we got a light rain...

HOWEVER WE DID IT! AND HAD A GREAT TIME!

#123 10 years ago

sorry the picture was sideways...

#124 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Ready!!!!!

image-636.jpg 2 MB

Cool, set the cones out & guide them in.

#125 10 years ago

I might do this but my driveway is 1200 feet long into the woods...lol.....I haunt seen trick or treater in 10 years!

#126 10 years ago

Future pinballers!

halloween 2013.jpghalloween 2013.jpg
    #127 10 years ago

Epic night!!!!!image-744.jpgimage-744.jpgimage-428.jpgimage-428.jpgimage-242.jpgimage-242.jpgimage-522.jpgimage-522.jpg

#128 10 years ago

That's just awesome, looks like you gave your neighborhood a lot of fun. Good for you!

I understand the knee-jerk reaction to not make it known to potential thieves that you have valuable things in your home, but look at the experience you gave your neighbors and friends.

And imagine the look on a kids face when he first see's the unexpected glow of a free pinball arcade at the next house...

Again, good work.

#129 10 years ago

I estimate over 400 kids came by. I was blown away by the turnout. My PA could be heard at least 2 blocks away. They came likes moths to a flame.

#130 10 years ago

Only a few..
    image-404.jpgimage-404.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#132 10 years ago

Most of my neighbors are retirees. I never have any trick or treaters.

#133 10 years ago

I was planning on participating in this cool event but I got the New Star Trek on location today and ended up playing for 7 hours. Next year for sure!

#134 10 years ago

Had my daughters friends over , 15 thirteen year olds and ten friends with there kids and only one machine had issues.... South Park flipper seems touchy and not working correctly, am guessing at least 20 rookies...

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I estimate over 400 kids came by. I was blown away by the turnout. My PA could be heard at least 2 blocks away. They came likes moths to a flame.

Very nice Jared! It's guys like you that help us all remember why pinball is so great

#136 10 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Only a few..

image.jpg 1 MB
    image-404.jpg 2 MB

Quoted from Jared:

A few? Shit!!!!

Only a few pictures?

#137 10 years ago

this is awesome! would be fun to find a way to pull it off next year.

#138 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

One time I left my garage open on accident when I left the house. My neighbor called my wife about 3 hours later like "Hey man, how do I turn these pinball machines on?" LOL. He played and then shut the garage for us.

Best neighbor ever

#139 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Ready!!!!!

image-636.jpg 2 MB

Ok, that's just awesome!

#140 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

My entire garage is a arcade, and everyone around here knows it. I hosts parties 1-2 times a month, and most of the time play with the garage up. So everyone around here knows where I am and whats inside here.

If I missed it and this is a repeat question I apologize but what is your flooring and where did you get it? Thanx in advance,

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I only had it outside for about ten minutes when we got a light rain...
    HOWEVER WE DID IT! AND HAD A GREAT TIME!

Halloween Rumble.jpg 0

was wondering if it rained out your way...I thought about you with your Royal Rumble out on the driveway when it started raining here

#142 10 years ago
    Quoted from schwarz:

unless you live in Edmonton.

What you talkin bout Willis?

#143 10 years ago

Hrm, that ginger pirate looks kind of familiar..

Still can't believe that little turd had a better score than I did. We've GOT to find you the right autoplunger for that Turtles...you've had it way too long for it to not be fixed yet.

#144 10 years ago

RUMBLE HALLOWEEN3.jpgRUMBLE HALLOWEEN3.jpg
    Once the rain started we had it just inside the door...still a hit!

#145 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Once the rain started we had it just inside the door...still a hit!

RUMBLE HALLOWEEN3.jpg 0
    RUMBLE HALLOWEEN3-848.jpg 0
    RUMBLE HALLOWEEN3-889.jpg 0
    RUMBLE HALLOWEEN3-277.jpg 0

Hopefully their future husbands will thank you some day

#146 10 years ago

Had the Big Game in the garage for all to play. I think I have 5 parents that asked me how they could buy a pinball! I told them the best thing to do is set a budget on what they can spend and I could help them find a great pinball to fit their budget.

-oh yeah, had my first blown 7AMP fuse due to the switch finding its way past the flipper stop pin!!

#147 10 years ago

Would love to do this myself at some point, but a lot of the kids that go trick or treating in my neighborhood are "bussed in", as we call it. Parents from the rougher, poorer parts of town drive their kids into the nicer areas to go trick or treating. I'm fine with the kids, it's the parents I don't trust. Got some great kids that live across the street and one next door. I've let them come in and play my TAF, they loved it. Sadly, last month we got broken into and while I've never really believed in "advertising" what I've got inside, it will surely not happen until I move into my own house and have a different setup. The nice thing is, my TZ is upstairs, so I know it AIN'T goin' nowhere! My problem is the house backs up to a very busy, very easily accessible street that'd make for a quick getaway(as our attempted robbers did), so we're an easy target. And I DO live in the "good" part of town. Some people in my neighborhood don't even lock their doors at night. Well, until two weeks ago when a guy walked into one of my neighbors homes, held him at gunpoint while he forced him to open the safe, then dragged him to his car and drove him across town to withdraw money from his ATM, then drove him to another part of town and dropped him off in an alley, stealing his car in the process. Gamechanger.

Honestly, I wouldn't really care if they stole one or both of my pinball machines. They are both quite easily replaceable and the insurance money would be fun to go "shopping" with! Nevermind the fact that even IF they tried, it'd take them at least half an hour to get them both out, all while the alarm is blaring and the cops being called to the house within 2 minutes(there's a substation one block away). Of my 13 guitars, only two of them would be hard to replace. The others, including a few of my higher end acoustics, I'd love to get new versions of since the pickups in them are light years better nowadays(I have four pre-ES Taylors and none of my others are "vintage"). It's the custom built guitars I have that are one-of-a-kind that'd suck to lose. I also wouldn't want my guns to be stolen since I'd know they'd be used to commit crimes or just simply sold for dope money. Other than that, I ain't got squat that most two-bit thieves would want.

#148 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Epic night!!!!!

You sure that was Halloween.....where are the costumes?

#149 10 years ago

This was really cool what you all did - psyched to see little kids playing in costume too. I made a friend play last night at the local bar - she was dressed as Carrie and I wore my stormtrooper outfit genex2013_0728f.jpggenex2013_0728f.jpggenex2013_0729f.jpggenex2013_0729f.jpg

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/put-your-pinball-on-the-sidewalk/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.