(Topic ID: 68179)

PINSIDE CHALLENGE: Let strangers play your machine(s) during Halloween!

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by gliebig
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_06501.jpg
    IMG_06481.jpg
    IMG_06471.jpg
    IMG_06461.jpg
    20151031_195241.jpg
    20151031_220730.jpg
    20151031_193748.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    20151031_194557-COLLAGE.jpg
    P_20151031_195855.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image1.jpg
    20151031_181708.jpg
    20151031_164200.jpg
    2015-10-31_16.13.25.jpg
    There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 10 years ago

Got you attention?

Ok, so this Thursday night... Weather permitting... When all those local kids and family's come strolling by looking for candy: why not show them some pinball?

Pretty much the one day a year you will have 200+ random people come by your door. So... Put a pin out in the sidewalk! On the porch... On the patio... Whatever.

I guess my point is, why not find a way to showcase pinball (whenever) we can to (whomever) we can to help grow the interest?

Anyone here planning to incorporate your machines to Halloween?

I'm going to have my garage door open, spooky music blasting on my PA system, lights going, and all the games turned on and ready to go for any passers by.

Wife is like "don't advertise what we own!" I'm like "what thief has a pin dolly?" lol

image-358.jpgimage-358.jpg

#2 10 years ago

I would give your wife a Thumbs Up. Do not show off what could be or is in your home. It is like putting out the garbage after Christmas, and it has a large TV box in the recycle bin.
    A horror themed pin might get some play, most kids run between houses, Just an opinion.

#3 10 years ago

that's pretty awesome.. If it weren't such a chore, I'd haul my EATPM up to the garage and do the same

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

I would give your wife a Thumbs Up. Do not show off what could be or is in your home.

I agree. I wouldn't do that.

#5 10 years ago

Good idea but I have never had a person show up in the 8 years we lived here.

#6 10 years ago

I'm with Bakushan. Who cares if they know what you have. Are they going to haul it out? And if so, that's what house insurance is for. I am biased though as these three watch my home and family.

DSCN1633.jpgDSCN1633.jpgchato2.JPGchato2.JPG

#7 10 years ago

I used to have a crane and filled it with Halloween plush. I would put the crane at the end of the garage and curtain off the rest of the garage that only had a car in it. My son would permit two plays per person and they got to keep any prize they captured. There was a line of maybe 20 kids and you could get back in line after your two trys. I did this for 6 years in a suburban neighborhood filled with kids.

#8 10 years ago

Yeah, I could put out WOZ for play but what if a would be thief does a quick ebay search then decides to come back later with a few of his friends and a truck.

ebay.com link: EMERALD CITY LE WIZARD OF OZ Pinball 2 SHIP 2DAY ASK IF FREE SHIP APPLIES NEW

#9 10 years ago

Put it in your neighbor's driveway.

#10 10 years ago

Bought my third pin, and had them in the garage. Shopped them out, and had my brother over to play. It was night time and for the ffirst time had the garage door open while playing. Light show as you can imagine, had a few passing cars slow Down, and one even stopped to look at what was going on. 2 weeks later I had a break in, and over $10k stolen from us. Thank god none off us were home. Sharing your hobby with others is great, but you may be setting your self up for some crazy shit.

#11 10 years ago

The kids in my neighborhood might cart it away.

#12 10 years ago

I like this. Screw it, we're all gonna die anyway!

#13 10 years ago

Wouldn't do it since I rarely get trick or treaters, but that always means more candy for me!!

#15 10 years ago

Not so much stolen but round here 'tis more likely to be broken, gutted, legs used as play swords, cab as a cement sled, wires as whips and glass as 'fun smash times'

Consider yourself lucky if otherwise!

#16 10 years ago

We put Wii bowling in the garage one year for the trick or treaters......was a big hit.

#17 10 years ago

Someone should make leg levelers that screw and lock into the floor...

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah, I could put out WOZ for play but what if a would be thief does a quick ebay search then decides to come back later with a few of his friends and a truck.
    Ebay link

If it's dark he won't be able to see it cause the GI is too dim.

Sorry .... Couldn't resist.

rd.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

If it's dark he won't be able to see it cause the GI is too dim.
    Sorry .... Couldn't resist.
    rd.

Well he might have trouble tracking the ball or seeing all the playfield artwork clearly but in the dark of night WOZ can be seen for miles. In fact I heard that along with the standard FCC certification that all pins and arcade games have to pass to prove their operation doesn't interfere with television or radio signals, WOZ had to get an FAA cert to show its insert lighting would not hinder visibility of commercial aircraft flying overhead. LOL

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Well he might have trouble tracking the ball or seeing all the playfield artwork clearly but in the dark of night WOZ can be seen for miles. In fact I heard that along with the standard FCC certification that all pins and arcade games have to pass to prove their operation doesn't interfere with television or radio signals, WOZ had to get an FAA cert to show its insert lighting would not hinder visibility of commercial aircraft flying overhead. LOL

Yeah true!!

If it's in "GI mode" ... Safe as houses. Nobody will see it.

If it's all lit up with the feature lights going, people may fear it's an alien attack ....!!

Ooooppps. Now I have to go and hide from Alex ....

rd.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

I used to have a crane and filled it with Halloween plush. I would put the crane at the end of the garage and curtain off the rest of the garage that only had a car in it. My son would permit two plays per person and they got to keep any prize they captured. There was a line of maybe 20 kids and you could get back in line after your two trys. I did this for 6 years in a suburban neighborhood filled with kids.

Yes, I would like to see you pull this off this Halloween. Let's just say, I'll be sitting at the end of your drive way waiting on the deer to see which ones shows up to play. That would be a treat to see and I'll have my bow for the trick I'll put off. Plus, there is one other problem. I feel sorry for the kid or person who takes a wrong turn out by your house and ends up on someones else property. I like PinballKen idea of what guards his home, but around minnesota13 house this is what guards most homes, driveways, property, creek beds and anything else within sight.
    images-1.jpgimages-1.jpg

Here is what most people's basement looks like around his home.

gun racks-body.jpggun racks-body.jpg

I would tread lightly before knock on any door out his way.

#22 10 years ago

Mixed opinions on this, and I'm not sure which way I'd go on it.

I've thought about pulling a pin or two out into our carport, but since they can't get out the back door it's really not practical.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

I used to have a crane and filled it with Halloween plush

That is awesome! I'm going to steal that idea some day

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from s2k4ary:

Bought my third pin, and had them in the garage. Shopped them out, and had my brother over to play. It was night time and for the ffirst time had the garage door open while playing. Light show as you can imagine, had a few passing cars slow Down, and one even stopped to look at what was going on. 2 weeks later I had a break in, and over $10k stolen from us. Thank god none off us were home. Sharing your hobby with others is great, but you may be setting your self up for some crazy shit.

Yikes.

Thankfully, I live in a very good neighborhood.

My entire garage is a arcade, and everyone around here knows it. I hosts parties 1-2 times a month, and most of the time play with the garage up. So everyone around here knows where I am and whats inside here. I invite strangers in/over all the time. I have had at least 6 people who were walking by or jogging come up to see what the deal was when they saw that there were machines in the garage...

I even made a facebook page for my garage. It has a couple of hundred likes. https://www.facebook.com/jaredsarcade . Through the page, I allow total strangers to arrange to come by and play for no reason. Has not backfired yet...

Then again, I am self employed, and stay here at home... and this is Texas... and we pretty much all have guns. I have a couple of weapons in the house (and some dogs) and anyone breaking into this place when I was home would be in trouble. If they did break in while I was gone... I doubt they would take a pinball machine. Even if they did... it can be replaced. Insurance...

Stealing a pinball machine has got to be up there on the theft list with stealing refrigerators. Thief's want small, fast, quick, and pawn-able items.

One time I left my garage open on accident when I left the house. My neighbor called my wife about 3 hours later like "Hey man, how do I turn these pinball machines on?" LOL. He played and then shut the garage for us.

Im honestly not afraid at all in my neighborhood.

DSC_2151.jpgDSC_2151.jpg

Half the people in this shot are strangers. See my garage door is open? I do this often.

I hope that on Halloween I have the biggest impact of all.

#25 10 years ago

Great idea and all the smiles on people's faces will make it worth it ! We need more people like you in this world . Life's to short to be worried about bad things. Keep up the good work !

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

My entire garage is a arcade, and everyone around here knows it. I hosts parties 1-2 times a month, and most of the time play with the garage up. So everyone around here knows where I am and whats inside here. I invite strangers in/over all the time. I have had at least 6 people who were walking by or jogging come up to see what the deal was when they saw that there were machines in the garage...

I think it's great what you're doing. It's like pinball street preaching. It would only be worrisome when you're on vacation, but then it would probably just be random chance that a thief would happen by and take that chance. And he'd need a pretty big panel van.

#27 10 years ago

i would not be worried about theft - my neighborhood's way nice, i've got a security system, i've got insurance, and i really don't think any burglars are interested in moving a 300 pound object. in my experience it's usually teenagers interested in booze and easily-hockable stuff like electronics, musical instruments, and jewelry anyway.

i would be worried about condensation on the components though. it sure gets chilly around here in late october at night. wouldn't they get soaking wet inside and out once i brought them back inside and they warmed back up?

#28 10 years ago

I want to take one out on Thursday but everyone in my family thinks I am crazy to do so...I would love to share with the Trick o' Treaters and their parents and I think it would be fun...I think it all depends on the weather if I put one out on the sidewalk and play and hand out candy...AM I CRAZY?

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I want to take one out on Thursday but everyone in my family thinks I am crazy to do so...I would love to share with the Trick o' Treaters and their parents and I think it would be fun...I think it all depends on the weather if I put one out on the sidewalk and play and hand out candy...AM I CRAZY?

You are not crazy dude. Not at all.

I cant wait to see pictures of trick-or-treaters playing your game on the porch.

I hope this thread is full of pics of pinsiders doing it around the nation.

Community outreach. Pinball should not be a secret. Spread the love.

#30 10 years ago

National Pinball Day Oct. 31st 2013

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

National Pinball Day Oct. 31st 2013

MAKE. IT. HAPPEN.

#32 10 years ago

!

3svgjg.jpg3svgjg.jpg
    #33 10 years ago

We got a whopping 8 kids at our house last year, which was our first year in this house. I'm fully in the "I don't want my neighbors to know what I have" category, but that's probably because my neighbor has a literal mental patient boarding with her to get state money to pay her bills, and he's already stalking me. I can't stop to get the mail, walk in my front yard, or even be seen from my front windows without him running over shirtless and telling me stories about how he tried to kill a man in prison, then trying to hug me and tell me he loves me. There's no way in heck I'm giving him an excuse to ask to come inside my house to play my games.

Now, when I was little and lived in a brand new neighborhood with lots of kids, we did make a haunted house in the garage with peeled grapes, spaghetti, etc that the kids had to put their hands in to get candy. I say if you're in a safe neighborhood and the people already know you have pins, that's one thing. Otherwise, I agree with the wife about keeping mum about the contents of your house.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

We got a whopping 8 kids at our house last year, which was our first year in this house.

That's why I always get Reeses. If I end up with half a bag of candy left over, it might as well be that.

#35 10 years ago

man we get like 100 kids a year. huge, newish suburban neighborhood.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's why I always get Reeses. If I end up with half a bag of candy left over, it might as well be that.

Yeah, let me tell you how much fun Halloween is when you kid has peanut allergy..... AND your favorite candy is Reeses...

#37 10 years ago

I thought about this, but I too, am afraid some meth head will come and try to steal my stuff. It is a great idea if you can do it with out any trouble coming your way. My hat is off to everyone who can get this done. It will make your place the coolest house on the kids Halloween candy route! Enjoy!!!!

#38 10 years ago

This is amazing!

If I did this in NJ, even where I live with one of the lowest crime rates in the state, the machine would either be picked up by a truck or would be smashed to bits by kids within a matter of hours, and anything remaining would be stolen out of it.

I own a firearm as well. Unfortunately, the state of NJ believes that you deserve to go to jail if you uphold the constitution and defend yourself and/or your personal property.

#39 10 years ago

if upper management (girlfriend) will let me I will totally do this!

#40 10 years ago

I've been doing this for the past couple of years, and hope to continue doing it for as long as I can haul the games up, and coerce friends to help me.

2012-10-31 19.04.41.jpg2012-10-31 19.04.41.jpg
    #41 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

man we get like 100 kids a year. huge, newish suburban neighborhood.

I'm in an established older neighborhood, and while there are kids around, the name of the area I live in is called Big Ridge. From my house to the front of the neighborhood is a 120 foot elevation difference, and while my 2 acres is mostly flat, there's 2 huge hills to get to it that they would have to walk back up when leaving. And we're at the end of the cul-de-sac where the neighbors are elderly and turn off their lights. I think it's too much work to have to walk to my house. lol

And yes, we buy the good stuff so that we have dessert for lunches for awhile, just in case.

#42 10 years ago

I started this last year. We had about 150 kids total come through. Some of the kids didn't understand how exactly to start a game, and a few didn't know that these were games and actually had buttons on the side. Fun time, doing it again this year with a different setup of games (Spy Hunter and Tron, i think)

Halloween 2012.jpgHalloween 2012.jpg

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, let me tell you how much fun Halloween is when you kid has peanut allergy..... AND your favorite candy is Reeses..

Then you can't go wrong with those small Heath bars.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

I started this last year. We had about 150 kids total come through. Some of the kids didn't understand how exactly to start a game, and a few didn't know that these were games and actually had buttons on the side. Fun time, doing it again this year with a different setup of games (Spy Hunter and Tron, i think)

cool blinds!

#45 10 years ago

I really think I need to emigrate
    I'm totally for it if you live in a nice area and reading all your guys posts after my previous reply, I'm getting jealous!

#46 10 years ago

I wouldnt do it. It's an advertisement of wealth, which tells crooks there's likely a lot more good stuff in the house. It's not the pins that would be stolen. I have dogs and guns too, but break-ins are still dangerous and bad guys pack heat sometimes too. Not worth the risk to my family. And fancy neighborhoods have break-ins too. You're probably okay to do this, but there is an element of risk.

#47 10 years ago

weird that it's all the people who brag about their guns who are afraid of getting stolen from. wonder what the correlation is there.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Halloween 2012.jpg 434 KB

Awesome!!!!!!

I knew this was way too good of an idea for me to be the only one!!!!

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I wouldnt do it. It's an advertisement of wealth, which tells crooks there's likely a lot more good stuff in the house. It's not the pins that would be stolen. I have dogs and guns too, but break-ins are still dangerous and bad guys pack heat sometimes too. Not worth the risk to my family. And fancy neighborhoods have break-ins too. You're probably okay to do this, but there is an element of risk.

image-675.jpgimage-675.jpg

"You step outside, you risk your life. Take a drink of water, you risk your life. You don't have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you're risking it for."

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

weird that it's all the people who brag about their guns who are afraid of getting stolen from. wonder what the correlation is there.

There are some real whack jobs out there. You never know what you could be getting yourself into. People have been killed over ipad/tennis shoes or just for no reason. I am with NorCalRealtor on this one. My family is for more important. I do not worry about the gun toters that have a license to do so. I worry about the one who say's "Who needs a licenses?" As the Sharks would say "And for that reason I AM OUT!"

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/put-your-pinball-on-the-sidewalk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.