(Topic ID: 58668)

Put pins in Storage Unit or sell? Wife says they have to go.

By Av8

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Nevus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0762.JPG
    1318891499_half_baked.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

If you were in the northwest I would say sell.... We need more pins for sale around here... Store them. You are in Florida... Store them.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

The pants... wear them.

Grow a pair or compromise. IMO pins do not belong in a living room. Expand your house/man cave, build a temperature controlled shed, or get rid of em. Is is worth losing your family? No pin is worth that, sorry.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Grow a pair or compromise. IMO pins do not belong in a living room. Expand your house/man cave, build a temperature controlled shed, or get rid of em. Is is worth losing your family? No pin is worth that, sorry.

My pins are only in the "living room." Totally wasted space otherwise.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from oropuro:

If you were in the northwest I would say sell.... We need more pins for sale around here... Store them. You are in Florida... Store them.

There are tons for sale, even currently right now. Just gotta step up to the plate.

I got a sweet very very slight NF and an NBAFB for sale for example. Not to hijack this thread, just saying. There are even more on the CL right now too

#55 10 years ago

Sounds like you have a permanent limit imposed on you for better
    or worse. (snicker) Storage units are (1) a waste of money, (2) your
    pins will deteriorate and (3) there are other options. I store extras
    in the garage and occasionally swap them out. Other have mentioned
    loaning to friends which is a good idea.
    Steve

#56 10 years ago

Get rid of wife...

#57 10 years ago

All of the get rid of wife comments are pretty crappy. While some might be in humor, a hobby should not be bigger than personal relationships. Will I have a 'party pooper' storm come down? Maybe. However, if it weren't for my wife, I wouldn't be in a financial situation to be able to afford my pins. Single father with two sons going to college buying pins, yeah right. I have a temporary limit 'on me' right now. I already pushed it twice, but I think I should think better of someone who will eventually support me in being responsible with buying/selling pins rather than just going nuts as I am obsessive.

To me the best solution if you don't really want to sell is to loan them to a trusted friend/pinhead who will a)get to enjoy them, b)provide you a place/access to continue to enjoy them, c) care for it as his/her own and be ready to return the machine(s) when you have space.

I would actually love if someone would loan me a couple of titles for a few months to play and see if I really want them as keepers, I would do a temporary trade for that reason with someone I knew would take care of the pin. Sort of a pin-pool.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

All of the get rid of wife comments are pretty crappy. While some might be in humor, a hobby should not be bigger than personal relationships. Will I have a 'party pooper' storm come down?

I'm with you too. Get rid of wife comments JEEZ - REALLY!?

I'd chose my wife over a pinball machine thankyouverymuch

#59 10 years ago

It's fair enough that she wants them out of the living room.

She should have her space, and you should have yours. That's the way things work. That being said, do you have a compromise plan? Something like you get the basement to restructure/reno to fit them all in? Can you build an out building or extension?

Having space that's "yours" is a must. Goes the other way too.

If you can't fit them in "your" space, sell them.

#60 10 years ago

Yeah, I read threads like this one and wonder if the guy is anything like as tolerant as the wife probably already is. How many of us would put up with our wives spending this kind of money on a hobby? I know there are exceptions, but my wife doesn't spend on herself in a year what a quality pin costs. It is truly remarkable that she has put up with me and all of my various interests over the years.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

The pin itself is secondary. There's a lot of compromise in a relationship, that should be a given. My point that you clearly missed is that no one should be ordered by a spouse to do anything.

Quoted from Craig:

How many of us would put up with our wives spending this kind of money on a hobby? I know there are exceptions, but my wife doesn't spend on herself in a year what a quality pin costs.

I buy things that have residual value and usally appreciate in value while I appreciate owning and using them. My wife buys shoes and handbags that go into the garbage or to goodwill the next year... I spend more than she does-- probably by a factor of 10, but it's just not comparable-- I still spend more wisely than she does.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I buy things that have residual value and usally appreciate in value while I appreciate owning and using them.

Yeah, I am the same way. Fortunately, my wife spends little on depreciating assets. If anything, I tend to be the one to buy them for her.

In every way, she is a terrific wife--and I say that based on over thirty years of experience!

#63 10 years ago

In the long run when you look back on things your wife/family will be far more valuable than a game IMO.

#64 10 years ago

Speaking of compromise and working things out. A pinhead who lives about an hour from me has been redoing part of the house to become a gameroom. For however long, his wife has put up with/supported (however you want to phrase it - it's all perspective and perspective can change - three sides to every story) their living being a gameroom. When finished, he'll have his room, complete say on that room. The compromise - she gets to do whatever she wants with the living room. My wife and I, now that our sons are going to college are reconfiguring our small house this way. It's less than 1300 sq. ft. and for the past 7 years our sons (twins) have each had their own room. She's needed an office/yoga room and I've wanted a music/game room. Both have to be capable of keeping the boys when they are back and my room will be the 'guest room' but now that we've waited that's how it will be.

Funny thing is, the Bad Cats and probably even the Doctor Who will stay in the living room!

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

All of the get rid of wife comments are pretty crappy. While some might be in humor, a hobby should not be bigger than personal relationships. Will I have a 'party pooper' storm come down? Maybe. However, if it weren't for my wife, I wouldn't be in a financial situation to be able to afford my pins. Single father with two sons going to college buying pins, yeah right. I have a temporary limit 'on me' right now. I already pushed it twice, but I think I should think better of someone who will eventually support me in being responsible with buying/selling pins rather than just going nuts as I am obsessive.
    To me the best solution if you don't really want to sell is to loan them to a trusted friend/pinhead who will a)get to enjoy them, b)provide you a place/access to continue to enjoy them, c) care for it as his/her own and be ready to return the machine(s) when you have space.
    I would actually love if someone would loan me a couple of titles for a few months to play and see if I really want them as keepers, I would do a temporary trade for that reason with someone I knew would take care of the pin. Sort of a pin-pool.

Its not about being crappy, its about a spouse being that dickish, to give you an ultimatum in the first place...

I am 45, my dad is 91, uncle 94, grand dad died at 98..either way my life is at a minimum, 1/2 over...

If my mate cant let me enjoy my passions, as long as they aren't hurting anybody, then she needs to go...

the best part of my life is, ITS MY LIFE....

life is to short to deal with this kind of bullshit....

If I cant do what I want when I want, ( as long as it causes no harm to anyone else)..

then I would rather be solo...

And thats that !

#66 10 years ago

I love pinball.

I love it!........
    but NOT as much as I love Pu$$#!

THE END.

1318891499_half_baked.jpg1318891499_half_baked.jpg

#67 10 years ago

Sorry I have a question, so when a pin is in storage or in a garage I've read a few people were saying make sure its temp controlled. Is it from heat that the plastic warps and other problems may occur? can it be to cold?? sorry to go a little off topic. little help.. cheers

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

Sorry I have a question, so when a pin is in storage or in a garage I've read a few people were saying make sure its temp controlled. Is it from heat that the plastic warps and other problems may occur? can it be to cold?? sorry to go a little off topic. little help.. cheers

The cold can cause a little moisture to develop on metal parts of the game and slowly oxidize/corrode and the heat can cause all the wood to expand and damage plastic inserts and what not.

#69 10 years ago

Like doughslingers said it is risky to put games in storage. I moved from a college rental house about 14 years ago. I put my games in storage (12 arcade games no pins) and a bum that was living in the unit a couple down from mine burned the damn thing down. I had some great buys like an original gauntlet for 100 bucks and all the classics. I never could find replacements for the prices I had hunted for. Sell a couple and take that 65 dollars every month and put in an envelope along with the money you sold them for. When the time is right for more pins you will have a nice little nest egg saved up just for them.

#70 10 years ago

Also everyone has their opinion and so I will throw mine in as well. All relationships have to have compromises. If not then welcome to hell. You have a right to tell/ask things of your wife regarding her behavior and decisions and she as well with you. If at the end of the day she is not telling you to get rid of all your machines just out of the living room then that would seem reasonable. If they could fit in your game room it sounds like she would not have any problem with that. Would you let your wife build a shoe rack on the living room wall for more shoes?

#71 10 years ago

Pins vs. shoes. That's the problem, our games are so damn big! No one ever ran out of room collecting stamps or buttons.

I wouldn't let my wife hang shoes in the family room. But I would in our guest room. First though I would offer to build more storage in our closet or baring that, even give up some of my space to her.

I constantly ask the wife to let me expand into the dining or guest room. She always says no. I have room in my man cave for about six arcades now and if I get rid of the couch I'll have room for a pin or two. I will eventually encroach on the guest room, whether she likes it or not. The dining room, prolly not.

Now my son is off to college next week and I'm seriously considering lending him one of my arcade games to keep at his frat house...freeing up space for a pin

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

I have the same dilemma, I'm taking a job out of state, looking for a Pinsitter or two.

Raises Hand!!!

I'd be happy to help you out there.

#73 10 years ago

I've loaned and borrowed pins and vids over the years. Works out fine with people you really trust.

1 week later
    #74 10 years ago

How about buying a large shed for your expanded game room right in your own backyard!

#75 10 years ago

Can those replying with humour please put a at the end, so we know you aren't mentally deranged?

I have been facing the exact same problem. Have collected 10 pins now, and a BIG source of tension - money, space, time playing/fixing. The hobby provides me with a big stress relief, and time playing with my kids. I don't want to flip any of them, as they are all great.

Finally bit the bullet and hired a nice shed. It's upstairs (lift access) which reduces the dust, well secured and I feel the 5 in there will be safe. Have given a couple to friends to use with their kids as well - best of both solutions - except one has managed to disable all the high voltage coils - still working on that with TZ. Off with a multimeter tonight to try a fix.

Sure it costs to hire a shed/facility ($100/month), but happy that my "other babies" are safe and I can move them in and out when I need a change.

Good luck with the problem. It still takes two to tango, and happy wife, happy life.

IMG_0762.JPGIMG_0762.JPG

1 month later
    #76 10 years ago

Just in case you can't SEE a joke when it's staring you in the face.

HA!

#77 10 years ago

Tell her to get back in the kitchen and bake you a pie

#78 10 years ago

OP, you've already gotten rid of some amazing machines... Why are you suddenly getting separation anxiety over ACDC and Tron?

#79 10 years ago

I face the same situation. Wife isn't the problem, my addiction and lack of space is the problem. I rented a climate controlled storage unit to store some of my games in. I already went down the selling path and I had huge sellers remorse for pretty much every game I sold. No way in hell I will go through that again. I have a dream game room in mind, and storing my games until I build a new house is the road I am taking. Plus having the storage unit allows me to snap up a deal if I find one. I can still continue to build up my collection.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Plus having the storage unit allows me to snap up a deal if I find one.

Ugh! Don't tempt me!

#81 10 years ago

Make a deal with her: you'll sell a pin for each pair of shoes she sells. Woman can't live without their precious footwear.

My wife encouraged pin collecting. Good wife.

#82 10 years ago

Pins in the living room are out of place in my opinion, but for you guys without basements, I guess that may have to be a solution. I don't feel too bad for you guys though, as it usually means you get warmth year round.

I don't think it's asking too much from her lay down the law, after all, I would bet a nut the first one you put in there came with something like "it will only be temporary until...".

#83 10 years ago

just to be supportive you can keep ACDC and Tron LE at my house. I can park them between RBION and TRON pro I will care for them and love them and squeeze them and call them "george".
    (bugs cartoon)

#84 10 years ago

I'm sure you will find a solution. I have more than I have room to display without it crowding my family. Silly answers aside, what to do is a reasonable question. Climate control storage varies. I have one but don't use it to play my games. I would shop around. You might find just want your looking for and be able to have a larger collection and keep the family happy. Some people have power and other options available. It may be a condition of their insurance not to put power in your unit. Mine has no public restroom etc.

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/put-pins-in-storage-unit-or-sell-wife-says-they-have-to-go/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.