(Topic ID: 212343)

Push Button Start on Cars -- Are you a Fan?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0216small (resized).jpg
    20C303ED-C4C9-4F80-AD3E-6A6EDE8658D8 (resized).jpeg
    9218F8E8-9A68-436A-B9C4-9E4BB6B1A521 (resized).jpeg
    button before (resized).jpg
    button after (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cutter (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    That was easy. (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Is a push button better than a key?

No. When that battery in your key fob goes dead, you are stranded!

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Break off your key in the steering column and you're even more stranded.

Yeah, like that happens all the time! You can still turn it with a screwdriver.

Some of you guys will try to think of any reason why new technology is always better. Tell that to the little old lady who's key fob went dead for her Lexus at my work a little while back.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I would tell her how to unlock her Lexus with a dead keyfob.

Well, why don't you tell us how to unlock and start an older keyless Lexus with a dead fob battery. I'm listening.

Because nobody had a clue at the time.

#39 6 years ago

What year and model?

I don't remember. It was one of the earliest models.

#44 6 years ago

To start the car you hold the keyfob up to the start button, hold the brake pedal and press start. There is an inductive coil inside the start button that will provide just enough power to activate the security circuit in the keyfob to let the car recognize it and start.

That's great! Wonder why the owner of the car was not aware of that.

What really sucks about keyless ignitions for me is there is no on position without the car running. Meaning when I have to see if the check engine light is functioning, I have a split second to do so, and in many cases the light is in any number of places.

So, how do you put a keyless car into the on but not running position on all cars, then I will gladly accept it for what it is. Otherwise it's just another nuisance and inconvenience.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

On my 2017 F150, I hit the start button without my foot on the brake.

So that will turn the truck on and not start it?

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Once for ACC position and twice for RUN (but not start) position.

OK I'll try that on the next one that comes in. Seems I always have my foot on the brake pedal anyway. They always seem to start right up and the lights go out.

In my job, it is mandatory to verify the check engine lite is working.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

A handle to wind them up and down is fine for me. Less to break.

Might be easier to get out of if you were to somehow drive off the Chappaquiddick bridge and find yourself submerged with electrical failure...

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Yes. Truck will stay in accessory mode for just so long and will eventually turn off.

Cool. The Range Rover I had in last week was a real bitch. That check engine lite was well hidden and had a mind of it's own.

#57 6 years ago

Well, that black 1991 MR2 Turbo that just rolled in doesn't need any of that.

What a bitchin car! Still looks great to this day. I used to own one many moons ago. So fun to drive....

#59 6 years ago

Of course as a Prius owner you're gonna like it! But do us all a favor and stop driving in the far left hand lane of the freeway would ya?

At one time it was called the "fast lane", not the "Prius lane".

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Don't like them on cars and don't like them on pins.

Pretty much all pinball machines from the last 70 or so years do have one...

But bring them on by my shop and I can fix them up if you like.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

People who don't like all this new technology are probably irritated by a lot of other things in their life and look to see everything as a problem rather than a solution.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

Every body should get what they like and if it makes life easier or simpler for them even better. But to say if somebody doesn't like it they are irritated with everything else is nonsense.

#77 6 years ago

Did anybody else happen to watch the X-files a couple weeks ago called "Rm9sbG93ZXJz"?

It was an interesting look at how things might be headed as things get more automated and remote controlled, and humans have less control over things they use on a day to day basis.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from superJackpot:

I did! Makes you wonder if control gets into the wrong hands.

It already has as artificial intelligence is becoming reality.

There's no way to predict that it won't become as vicious in nature and maybe more so than it's creator.

It won't come as much surprise to at least some of us.
    To others that are convinced it is the right direction to go, maybe not so much.

They can already stop your smart car dead in it's tracks by satellite.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I have applied it and I really do not understand the fear.

There's really nothing to be afraid of once it's out of our control and gets smarter than it's maker and cops an attitude. Just like being in a plane that's racing towards the ground, fear isn't going to do any good.

It's already inevitable.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

You guys watch way too many movies.

Not so much. But I did see that 60 Minutes episode an artificial intelligence which in itself was very enlightening.

Plus I've been around long enough to see the rapid advances we have made where machines are now doing the work and making the decisions humans once did.

#94 6 years ago

Say the car has a dead or weak battery.

Has anybody here ever successfully push started a car with a keyless ignition?

#101 6 years ago

OK.

So I've asked a few customers about it today and they all seem indifferent or OK with whatever they have.

But for a guy like me, whose job it is to get in and out of and inspect these rolling shit boxes of all years, makes, and models day after day, what I like to see is some uniformity, simplicity, and ease of operation for somebody that has never been in one shit box or another before.

Last thing I want to do is have to look in the owners manual, which usually isn't even there, to figure out how to check the odometer, turn off the traction control, or even how to start the damn thing without some secret handshake.

So yeah, they can keep all these stupid gimmicks, and I'll keep my key, thank you very much!

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Have you ever tried to push start an automatic? I'd like to see that.

It's been done.

#117 6 years ago

"Do you like push buttons on your fan?"

#141 6 years ago

I, as an auto technician don't care much for those remote start buttons either.

All it takes is one customer playing pocket pool, and off go some fingers.

#152 6 years ago

Soon, push button transmissions will become all the rage.

DSC_0216small (resized).jpgDSC_0216small (resized).jpg

#163 6 years ago

A guy came in with a pushbutton start and a non working fob the other day. What a clusterfuk that was trying to get the car to work. He didn't like it any better than I did. Said it "got wet". lol

Either bring me a car that works or don't bother coming in at all.

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

If the hood is open, then remote start is disabled. This how Ford vehicles work

If you can get the hood open. lol.

Seriously, with my hands in the engine compartment, I have no faith in any fail safe system that would be dependent on a switch that may or may not be working. It only takes once to maim you for the rest of your life.

Although I am no longer in the repair end of the business, any car that has a button start or the possibility of a remote start would get the battery disconnected before anything else if I can even get to it, if not I'd charge extra to access it. And Hybrids or electric cars I wouldn't even touch. Not worth it. Find somebody else to fix it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/push-button-start-on-cars-are-you-a-fan?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.