(Topic ID: 212343)

Push Button Start on Cars -- Are you a Fan?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0216small (resized).jpg
    20C303ED-C4C9-4F80-AD3E-6A6EDE8658D8 (resized).jpeg
    9218F8E8-9A68-436A-B9C4-9E4BB6B1A521 (resized).jpeg
    button before (resized).jpg
    button after (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cutter (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    That was easy. (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Love mine..... Even worse my ram had a knob instead of a gear shifter! I've actually grown to like it though.

The car companies do this to lower their cost and give consumers the illusion of technology. That gear selector knob costs maybe $3.00 vs the floor mounted shifter that costs maybe $7.00. Column mounted ones were even cheaper.

The ignition switch and lock cylinder is probably $10.00 where a push button switch, even with a lit button & bezel is maybe $2.00 to an OEM. The "Bell type" ignition cylinders are maybe a few bucks more.

Travish, I'm not talking about an older GM single sided sidebar ignition lock by Briggs & Stratton as those were barely $2.00 at OEM pricing plus another $2.00 for the switch. I do mean the newer ones that read the RFID chip or at least the older GM resistor pellet keys.

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Has Pinball got the boring we are talking about car start buttons ?

Maybe the former Expo or Pinball Palooza can combine with a locksmith show to boost attendance.

HPC is nearby, I'll bet Travish would attend.

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Next, they need to make the key the size of a credit card so it can fit in your wallet.

#131 6 years ago

If you can start the engine without having your foot on the brake pedal while having the fob in the passenger compartment; your vehicle is not in compliance with an SAE Standard

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Actually you can use your cell phone as your “key” if you want. No need to carry anything.

Now some may compare the cars to the Hilton family of hotels. Check in on the app, room number given and your phone is used as your "key". All of their brands, even the Hampton Inns.

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

There is no way they can be the same in every single way. There are no golf carts flying through space right now.

There are three Lunar Roving Vehicles (electric powered, Golf Cart) sitting on the moon right now. Not sure if there are any Teslas on the moon at the moment. Even if a Tesla makes it to the moon this year, an LRV got there 47 years earlier.

1 week later
    #172 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Do people still use house keys? I haven't used one in almost 20 years

Yes.

Quoted from gtxjoe:

Open the garage door with car or use the garage keypad.

What if you don't have a garage? What if you have one but it is not attached to your home?
    What if you have an attached garage but no keypad?

Quoted from gtxjoe:

Not even sure where the house keys are any more...

You should find them for emergency use. Such as a power failure. Unless you have a whole house generator and your garage door is on a connected circuit.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/push-button-start-on-cars-are-you-a-fan?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.