(Topic ID: 212343)

Push Button Start on Cars -- Are you a Fan?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0216small (resized).jpg
    20C303ED-C4C9-4F80-AD3E-6A6EDE8658D8 (resized).jpeg
    9218F8E8-9A68-436A-B9C4-9E4BB6B1A521 (resized).jpeg
    button before (resized).jpg
    button after (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cutter (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    That was easy. (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 6 years ago

Push button start and keyless entry with a vob is kinda lame if your a dude. It's good for women because you never need to dig your keys out of your purse. It annoys me that I still need to carry the vob. Tesla has it right with your phone or key card is the key. My wife loves it in her car but I am forever misplacing the vob.

Added over 6 years ago: I didn’t mean it was feminine, not sure why I’m getting thumbs down. Just meant I like not having to carry a key at all.

#41 6 years ago

There is something insanely funny to me about the fear of technology that you can google the answer in seconds. Technology makes life so much easier. If you can think of a problem in 10 seconds there is a pretty good chance someone else can too.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I don't like pusbutton starts, computers in cars or automatic windows! A handle to wind them up and down is fine for me. Less to break.
    A mechanic I was talking to said he could fix any car with what he had in a small toolbox....now everything is computers.
    My friend's $145K Tesla doesn't even have a spare tire! (no lie)!

Most luxury cars no longer carry a spare tire. Tesla is in no way leading that trend. Its just one of those things, people that drive luxury cars call the service they do not change tires. I personally find it weird but I understand the logic.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Might be easier to get out of if you were to somehow drive off the Chappaquiddick bridge and find yourself submerged with electrical failure...

This is another one that makes me chuckle. People just seem to forget how often those damn window rollers break off, strip or the mechanism fails. Every classic car guy I know always says be gentle with the roller the original handles are super hard to find, or they just have one window that only they can make work.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It already has as artificial intelligence is becoming reality.
    There's no way to predict that it won't become as vicious in nature and maybe more so that it's creator.
    It won't come as much surprise to at least some of us.
    To others that are convinced it is the right direction to go, maybe not so much.

I've done some work in this area. The mathematics and the history are fascinating. I'm not a mathematician so I have only studied it to the level that I can implement machine learning. I have applied it and I really do not understand the fear. It's really just a tool.

P.S. The whole thing with Elon Musk I don't get. I think it might just be a publicity stunt. I am sure Tesla is using machine learning in their autopilot system. It's so weird for him to say its dangerous don't use it and at the same time uses it extensively. I think he might be trying scare people away to give himself an advantage.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There's really nothing to be afraid of once it's out of our control and gets smarter than it's maker and cops an attitude. Just like being in a plane that's racing towards the ground, fear isn't going to do any good.
    It's already inevitable.

You guys watch way too many movies.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Say the car has a dead or weak battery.
    Has anybody here ever successfully push started a car with a keyless ignition?

People just don't do this stuff anymore. The keyless ignition has nothing to do with it. The first thing a dealer will tell you is do not attempt to jump the car we will send someone.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/push-button-start-on-cars-are-you-a-fan?tu=Darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.