(Topic ID: 212343)

Push Button Start on Cars -- Are you a Fan?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0216small (resized).jpg
    20C303ED-C4C9-4F80-AD3E-6A6EDE8658D8 (resized).jpeg
    9218F8E8-9A68-436A-B9C4-9E4BB6B1A521 (resized).jpeg
    button before (resized).jpg
    button after (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cutter (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    That was easy. (resized).jpg

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

At least you admit you are talking shit and not hiding behind “hey man just kidding” style cowardace.

Technically we ARE all kidding here since it’s still an online forum, and a Pinball one at that- which makes it all the more ironic that we are going on about pushing buttons.
    I truly have no ill will towards what ride you choose to buy Pez.
    It’s yours, not mine.

I think Pinmister actually summed it up perfectly in his post how I feel about driving them.
    Is he technically talking shit too?
    No, he’s just giving his valid opinion.
    Which is what we are doing here anyway.
    (At least I think it still is... )

Hopefully we can all agree that no matter the vehicle’s technology, cars that want to go fast belong in the left lane and cars that want to go slow stay in the right lane; not vice versa.

#152 5 years ago

Soon, push button transmissions will become all the rage.

DSC_0216small (resized).jpgDSC_0216small (resized).jpg

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

At least you admit you are talking shit and not hiding behind “hey man just kidding” style cowardace.

I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla owner who doesn't take things really personally. First one was a joke. This one is not.

What you described was how a golf cart operates. Please prove me wrong. Yes, you are correct, I have never ridden in a Tesla. No mention was ever said that a Tesla is as slow as one, or as technologically advanced as one. I was just making that connection of how you get the damn thing to move. Sheesh. You're obviously butt-hurt that not all people want to save the earth and praise you on it doing so single handedly.

I've obviously pissed you off, and you've pissed me off too.

So no, not hiding behind the "just kidding" any more. I take my joke back and will now lump all Tesla's as equal to golf carts in every single way.

#154 5 years ago

double post

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla owner who doesn't take things really personally. First one was a joke. This one is not.
    What you described was how a golf cart operates. Please prove me wrong. Yes, you are correct, I have never ridden in a Tesla. No mention was ever said that a Tesla is as slow as one, or as technologically advanced as one. I was just making that connection of how you get the damn thing to move. Sheesh. You're obviously butt-hurt that not all people want to save the earth and praise you on it doing so single handedly.
    I've obviously pissed you off, and you've pissed me off too.
    So no, not hiding behind the "just kidding" any more. I take my joke back and will now lump all Tesla's as equal to golf carts in every single way.

There is no way they can be the same in every single way. There are no golf carts flying through space right now.

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

There is no way they can be the same in every single way. There are no golf carts flying through space right now.

There are three Lunar Roving Vehicles (electric powered, Golf Cart) sitting on the moon right now. Not sure if there are any Teslas on the moon at the moment. Even if a Tesla makes it to the moon this year, an LRV got there 47 years earlier.

#157 5 years ago

Push button - yes because it is cool, but I like to have it with a key like in the s2000. Put key in. Turn ignition to on, push button to start.

I do not like electronic emergency break.... had one get stuck on.... and hand brake is just cooler.

Keyless entry... it’s nice... but the battery in the remote drained in 1 year... rather spend the money on other stuff... give me better speakers....

Dials are good... they are good for radio controls.. and they are good for climate controls.... dials should be legally required.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Dials are good... they are good for radio controls.. and they are good for climate controls.... dials should be legally required.

Dials are ok for those things. . . but count me out on auto transmission dials or worse yet dials to engage the 4WD. I will take a manual transfer case any day.

Very entertaining (and educational) reading thru the replies; this topic looks to have pushed some people's buttons!

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

There are three Lunar Roving Vehicles (electric powered, Golf Cart) sitting on the moon right now. Not sure if there are any Teslas on the moon at the moment. Even if a Tesla makes it to the moon this year, an LRV got there 47 years earlier.

4 LRV's were made by Boeing for $9,500,000 each, that is in 1971 US Dollars. Bet the 3 on the moon all have dead batteries .

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Actually you can use your cell phone as your “key” if you want. No need to carry anything.

God Pez, you're usually not this pathetically depressing. Hopefully it's just a bad night and you're really not this upset by your car. But i do wonder how you f&*# the thing without a tailpipe.

Ha...just kidding bro

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Dials are ok for those things. . . but count me out on auto transmission dials or worse yet dials to engage the 4WD. I will take a manual transfer case any day.
    Very entertaining (and educational) reading thru the replies; this topic looks to have pushed some people's buttons!

Agree. Would much rather have manual locking hubs & transfer case lever.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I give a lot of credit to Musk for being able to do such a feat. But if he starts sending more cars into space, I'd start looking into missing persons who are/were close to Musk. That's be the ultimate way to dispose of a body. That's all I could think about with the Space Man sitting in that seat.

#163 5 years ago

A guy came in with a pushbutton start and a non working fob the other day. What a clusterfuk that was trying to get the car to work. He didn't like it any better than I did. Said it "got wet". lol

Either bring me a car that works or don't bother coming in at all.

#164 5 years ago

My "fob", guess that's what it's called, has been through the washer and dryer and still works fine. It would be interesting if I couldn't figure out if it was either my car or my key that was broken.

#165 5 years ago

I'm a fan.

Can't stand fumbling for keys.

Hate having keys knick my knees and scratch the car or just make noise.

Love opening my locked door by simply placing my hand in between car and handle.

Yes, my fob was dying. It was annoying, so guess what, I replaced the bsttery. All better now. Phew, that was close!

Some advances in technology are useless, this is not one of them. Noticeable improvement in standard of living.

#166 5 years ago

Yesterday I had a loaner car with a push button parking brake. So the brake is either on or off via something electrical that can be heard buzzing under the car. That was new for me.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Actually you can use your cell phone as your “key” if you want. No need to carry anything.

Lighten up Francis. Everyone knows that Tesla's are awesome in many ways - engineering, styling, acceleration, and even great for cruz'n in space with the top down. I don't think that the golf cart comparison was meant to insult, but a lighthearted feeble attempt at comedy as it relates to jumping in a golf cart and just going and stopping without having to turn it on. As with all analogies, however, the golf cart to Tesla comparison falls short (ya think?). Golf carts do require physical keys (at least every one that I've ever driven - gas and electric), but it just that you put the key in and turn it to the on position and leave it there for the duration of time you are using the cart (I think it is more of an anti-left device than anything, as there is also usually an on/off rocker switch).

#168 5 years ago

Not a fan. Just another expensive fix for when it fails

#169 5 years ago

I like a push button start on a car about as much as I like a push button plunger in pinball. It ruins part of the experience for no good reason at all.

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I, as an auto technician don't care much for those remote start buttons either.
    All it takes is one customer playing pocket pool, and off go some fingers.

If the hood is open, then remote start is disabled. This how Ford vehicles work

#171 5 years ago

Do people still use house keys? I haven't used one in almost 20 years

Open the garage door with car or use the garage keypad. Not even sure where the house keys are any more...

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Yes.

Quoted from gtxjoe:

Open the garage door with car or use the garage keypad.

What if you don't have a garage? What if you have one but it is not attached to your home?
    What if you have an attached garage but no keypad?

Quoted from gtxjoe:

Not even sure where the house keys are any more...

You should find them for emergency use. Such as a power failure. Unless you have a whole house generator and your garage door is on a connected circuit.

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

When I was younger someone once told me "The fewer keys you have, the more important you are." Something about how the janitor had a ring full of keys while the boss had one key that opened everything (or none if he had things opened for him).

I suppose I have a ways to go. . . I still have a drawer full of keys (including house keys), but at least I know where most of them fit!

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

Open the garage door with car or use the garage keypad. Not even sure where the house keys are any more...

Same - I never carry my house key with me. I go through the garage or, if there's a power failure, I'd just use the smart lock on my front door.

#175 5 years ago

I

Quoted from gtxjoe:Do people still use house keys? I haven't used one in almost 20 years

I have not researched to determine validity, but I would think there is some feeling of security that a keylock on a door is harder to pick (e.g. an unwanted stranger entering your house) than cracking a 4 digit or so code (trial and error, monitoring/watching from the street, looking at worn numbers on the pad, etc.) Also, you have to power things that use keypads - batteries die and power goes out. So, if you have to carry a key for backup, then why even bother with a digital system?

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I

I have not researched to determine validity, but I would think there is some feeling of security that a keylock on a door is harder to pick (e.g. an unwanted stranger entering your house) than cracking a 4 digit or so code (trial and error, monitoring/watching from the street, looking at worn numbers on the pad, etc.) Also, you have to power things that use keypads - batteries die and power goes out. So, if you have to carry a key for backup, then why even bother with a digital system?

Ask a police officer how many break-ins are done by people picking a lock. The answer is very close to 0. Thieves want to get in, get stuff, get out. Picking a lock takes more time than kicking a door in.

You're probably right that people "feel" more secure, but that perception is misleading.

#177 5 years ago

I wasn't a fan at first, but my wife has an Audi A4 and I came around. It actually has a spot in the dash to insert the key and you can just push the key forward in the hole and the car starts. I started by doing that, then eventually I put the key in the hole and hit the regular start button until finally I just get in and hit the button to go. Her car is so much nicer than my crummy tC.

When we got the car the salesman took the time to explain how to change the batteries and how to use the physical key should the FOB stop working. So in closing, they are super neat but I don't mind turning a key in my crummy car.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Toyota and Lexus (and many others) keyfobs have a physical key inside them that can be released, usually this is the part with the ring to hook onto your keys. This will unlock the driver's door. To start the car you hold the keyfob up to the start button, hold the brake pedal and press start. There is an inductive coil inside the start button that will provide just enough power to activate the security circuit in the keyfob to let the car recognize it and start.

That’s freaking brilliant. I love how they thought that through and the technology. Totally cool.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I hate push starts. Just as bad as push button 4 wheel drive, man up for gosh sakes. What is the etiquette on starting a push start, pinky finger up or extended as you start it?

What? There is nothing "manly" about turning a key. Maybe you meant crank starts?

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I was looking at the redesigned 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL the other day and it has made the conversion to push button start. My '16 JK still has a key to turn the ignition, which I think I am more partial to. . . maybe because I'm old/its what I am used to.
    Is a push button better than a key?
    I might think pinsiders prefer the button as most pins are push button start. . .

When push button first came out. I thought it was for lazy people and was stupid. I then had a car, 2015 ford escape, with push button AND a fob that allowed me to unlock/lock on the door handle and NEVER have to take my key/fob out of my pocket. I now have a 2016 Wrangler rubi with a normal key..@#$@#$# THAT KEY. It is so freaking annoying having to pull my key out to lock/unlock, star the dumb car.. Man was it awesome never having to take my key out of my pocket. So until you experience it and live with it....you may think it is stupid, but boy is that convenient as heck.

Quoted from Fezmid:

Ask a police officer how many break-ins are done by people picking a lock. The answer is very close to 0. Thieves want to get in, get stuff, get out. Picking a lock takes more time than kicking a door in.
    You're probably right that people "feel" more secure, but that perception is misleading.

oh hell ya. Talk to ANY lock smith, your house, car, safe locks are sooooooo easy to get into. Bump keys and new tools make it take seconds..

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

oh hell ya. Talk to ANY lock smith, your house, car, safe locks are sooooooo easy to get into. Bump keys and new tools make it take seconds..

Even a bump key takes a lot longer than just kicking the door in. But yeah, locks are inherently insecure.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Even a bump key takes a lot longer than just kicking the door in. But yeah, locks are inherently insecure.

:-p what do you mean...bump bump go right...faster than SWAT

#183 5 years ago

I rented one once and accidentally left the car running when I went to a restaurant. Was with a buddy talking and the car was so quiet I didn't notice. Thankfully he did and I turned it off but I would have left it on. I heard this happened to an elderly couple a town away from me too. Left it on in the garage. You can lock it with it running but you need to remember to turn it off! This was a few years back but hopefully they fixed this flaw.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/keyless-automobile-ignition-systems-are-fatally-flawed-critics-say-n490111

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

If the hood is open, then remote start is disabled. This how Ford vehicles work

If you can get the hood open. lol.

Seriously, with my hands in the engine compartment, I have no faith in any fail safe system that would be dependent on a switch that may or may not be working. It only takes once to maim you for the rest of your life.

Although I am no longer in the repair end of the business, any car that has a button start or the possibility of a remote start would get the battery disconnected before anything else if I can even get to it, if not I'd charge extra to access it. And Hybrids or electric cars I wouldn't even touch. Not worth it. Find somebody else to fix it.

1 week later
    #185 5 years ago

I suppose you would you have to be a carburetor head, a motor head, or had to have been bending wrenches for a living to appreciate this guy, Scotty KIlmer. I can claim a background in all three areas and I do appreciate this guy. He is Joe Shadetree and a jury rigger par excellence and IMO, and looks to be an exceptional mechanic.

Here is what Scotty has to say about keyless cars. Everybody has an opinion. I'll follow along with Scotty on this one.

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I suppose you would you have to be a carburetor head, a motor head, or had to have been bending wrenches for a living to appreciate this guy, Scotty KIlmer. I can claim a background in all three areas and I do appreciate this guy. He is Joe Shadetree and a jury rigger par excellence and IMO, and looks to be an exceptional mechanic.
    Here is what Scotty has to say about keyless cars. Everybody has an opinion. I'll follow along with Scotty on this one.

Keyless fob systems can be opened by thieves boosting the signal from your car to the key or key to your car with a device that's pretty widely available. Keyless ignitions are WAY less secure than keys.

#187 5 years ago

Officially not a fan....having to put foot on the Brake to push start is a pain in the ass if just wanting to turn on the vehicle. With a key, can just reach inside to turn on.

And how does one just listen to the radio without having the car running and Daytime Driving Lamps on? What a crock of Shit!

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

And how does one just listen to the radio without having the car running

I have a car with a keyless ignition and if I press the start button, without my foot on the brake, that allows me to play the radio, etc. It's effectively the same as the "accessories" location on a key start car.

#189 5 years ago

2016 and newer Fords with the push start will stop idling after 10 minutes or more, if there are no driver inputs made.

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Officially not a fan....having to put foot on the Brake to push start is a pain in the ass if just wanting to turn on the vehicle. With a key, can just reach inside to turn on.

I can see how that feature would be a deal breaker.........

I generally just hit my remote start button twice to start it up. Heck, I don't have to lean in the car or even be near it. Next disgusting summer day, think of me as you are walking towards your car, knowing what it is going to feel like inside, then remember I have that pain in ass system where I get in to a cooled down car.

Unless you are a getaway driver, or have some shady dealings, or wear a tin foil hat (hey, I wear mine from time to time ) I can't really find a solid reason yet to pass on this technology.

Thieves? I've already had a vehicle stolen, and that wasn't keyless, so just as bad.

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I can see how that feature would be a deal breaker.........
    I generally just hit my remote start button twice to start it up. Heck, I don't have to lean in the car or even be near it. Next disgusting summer day, think of me as you are walking towards your car, knowing what it is going to feel like inside, then remember I have that pain in ass system where I get in to a cooled down car.
    Unless you are a getaway driver, or have some shady dealings, or wear a tin foil hat (hey, I wear mine from time to time ) I can't really find a solid reason yet to pass on this technology.
    Thieves? I've already had a vehicle stolen, and that wasn't keyless, so just as bad.

I can't wait for summer to test out my auto-windows from my fob. I can roll down both windows by holding down the lock button I think. I could also start the car to get the AC going if I wanted to too I guess.

But the keyless does have its drawbacks. Just this past Saturday I helped a friend clean out his rental home. He had his 6 mo old son, and we had to drop him off at grandma's. We swapped cars with his grandma at a meeting place halfway between her house and where we were going. We got to the rental house, and his mom sent him a text message asking if he had the keys to his car. We swapped cars while they were still running, and grandma was able to drive his car back to her house with her grandson without having the keys. They were about 30 minutes away from where we were working. Luckily she didn't need to use the car once she got home.

#192 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

We swapped cars while they were still running, and grandma was able to drive his car back to her house with her grandson without having the keys. They were about 30 minutes away from where we were working. Luckily she didn't need to use the car once she got home.

In my wife's car, if you take the keys away from the car while it's running, it gets very annoying with messages and beeps that there is no key present.

#193 5 years ago

Can you lock your dog in the car with the motor and air conditioning running on a hot day?

Yea, my dog thanks me for my push start button.

#194 5 years ago

Is there something wrong with me if the only threads I've read lately are this one and the one about refrigerators?

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

Is there something wrong with me if the only threads I've read lately are this one and the one about refrigerators?

The only thing wrong here is that you have not read the one about the Cowboy Boots.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/westerncowboy-boots-for-trade-or-sale

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

In my wife's car, if you take the keys away from the car while it's running, it gets very annoying with messages and beeps that there is no key present.

According to my friend, that probably happened. We all just stood outside of the car long enough that it got tired of trying to warn us. In my car, and my mom's, the car will honk twice if the door shuts without the key inside and the car running. His is an Infiniti.

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/push-button-start-on-cars-are-you-a-fan/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.