(Topic ID: 212343)

Push Button Start on Cars -- Are you a Fan?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0216small (resized).jpg
    20C303ED-C4C9-4F80-AD3E-6A6EDE8658D8 (resized).jpeg
    9218F8E8-9A68-436A-B9C4-9E4BB6B1A521 (resized).jpeg
    button before (resized).jpg
    button after (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cutter (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    That was easy. (resized).jpg
    There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 years ago

OK.

So I've asked a few customers about it today and they all seem indifferent or OK with whatever they have.

But for a guy like me, whose job it is to get in and out of and inspect these rolling shit boxes of all years, makes, and models day after day, what I like to see is some uniformity, simplicity, and ease of operation for somebody that has never been in one shit box or another before.

Last thing I want to do is have to look in the owners manual, which usually isn't even there, to figure out how to check the odometer, turn off the traction control, or even how to start the damn thing without some secret handshake.

So yeah, they can keep all these stupid gimmicks, and I'll keep my key, thank you very much!

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Have you ever tried to push start an automatic? I'd like to see that.

It's been done.

#102 6 years ago

Holy crow we have some curmudgeonly people on the site tonight. Makes you wonder if they are so against technology then how they are on Pinside

#103 6 years ago

My 25 cents worth. Really hate a vehicle that thinks the driver is less smarter than it is.

Chryslers.
    With those dial shifters. Try putting the vehicle into Neutral when there is a no start situation, (dead battery or no fuel). You will not be getting it into Neutral, without the owners manual. New Chryslers will now also engage the electronic Park Brake if a door or hood is open, when the engine is running.

BMW.
    Certain BMWs will not move with a door open or the hood open. The car will shift into Park by its self. You ask why would you move the car with the hood open? If using a battery boost pack to jump start the car, and leaving the booster in place, the hood will not close.

Corvette.
    Last 10 years or so. Battery in the vehicle goes dead, hope you have the key outside the vehicle. People have died inside their dead battery Corvette. They owned a car with a push button door release, and sadly, did not even notice the manual release in their vehicle.

Ranger Rover (certain years)
    Similar to a Chrysler with a no start situation, you can not shift the transmission into neutral with out reading through the owners manual.

No spare tire is fine, if you travel mostly in the city and have AAA or Roadside Assistance that comes with a newer vehicle. In the near future, airless tires or run flat tires will become standard equipment.

If you see a vehicle with no key hole in the drivers door, there usually is an emergency access cover hiding a key hole on the handle or door pull area.

"Now back to our regular scheduled programming"

#104 6 years ago

Personal voice command would be best
    So if you’re drunk car never starts

Love the scene in movie 2012
    “ Bentley start “

#105 6 years ago

Has Pinball got the boring we are talking about car start buttons ?

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Love mine..... Even worse my ram had a knob instead of a gear shifter! I've actually grown to like it though.

The car companies do this to lower their cost and give consumers the illusion of technology. That gear selector knob costs maybe $3.00 vs the floor mounted shifter that costs maybe $7.00. Column mounted ones were even cheaper.

The ignition switch and lock cylinder is probably $10.00 where a push button switch, even with a lit button & bezel is maybe $2.00 to an OEM. The "Bell type" ignition cylinders are maybe a few bucks more.

Travish, I'm not talking about an older GM single sided sidebar ignition lock by Briggs & Stratton as those were barely $2.00 at OEM pricing plus another $2.00 for the switch. I do mean the newer ones that read the RFID chip or at least the older GM resistor pellet keys.

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Has Pinball got the boring we are talking about car start buttons ?

Maybe the former Expo or Pinball Palooza can combine with a locksmith show to boost attendance.

HPC is nearby, I'll bet Travish would attend.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Personal voice command would be best
    So if you’re drunk car never starts

What could possibly go wrong?

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
    I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Certain BMWs will not move with a door open or the hood open. The car will shift into Park by its self. You ask why would you move the car with the hood open? If using a battery boost pack to jump start the car, and leaving the booster in place, the hood will not close.

Why would you want the car out of park while you are jumping it and have the hood open?

#110 6 years ago

My '17 Taco has PBS. Seems like the solution to a problem that never existed to me.

I prefer the ignition on my Defender. It's on the left side and you turn the key backwards.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Why would you want the car out of park while you are jumping it and have the hood open?

When moving a vehicle with either a frozen battery, or bad alternator, or a battery with a dead cell. We move the car from a staging area into the shop. This is at low speed, not blasting down a highway on a road test. We use a larger Battery Boost Pack, not those new mini boost packs that allow to be tucked under the hood.

#112 6 years ago

The only thing I like about push system is when I walk up to my truck I do not have to push any button or put a key in the door, it senses the proximity and I can just open the door. Other than that, not a fan.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

When moving a vehicle with either a frozen battery, or bad alternator, or a battery with a dead cell. We move the car from a staging area into the shop. This is at low speed, not blasting down a highway on a road test. We use a larger Battery Boost Pack, not those new mini boost packs that allow to be tucked under the hood.

That does make sense. I wonder if you could 3d print a clip to hold the hood switch down while you move it.

#114 6 years ago

Sad thing is on my crossfire I can't even make a key. Well l can cut the key but no one can program the damn thing. I mean no one except Chrysler/Mercedes. For years and years I could fit keys from scratch for any car for about $2 and I have to pay $150 for my own car.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from aveamike:

Dislike. Always looking my key inside my car. It sounds crazy but I never know if it’s in my jacket or inside the car.

The Ram senses the FOB, if the FOB is in the vehicle, it won't lock. It also knows if the FOB exits the vehicle when the engine is running, pretty much fool proof.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from paragon66x:

Not a fan of it, and here is why: you still need something to start the car which in this case is the key fob thingy. So the problem becomes, where do you put it? In the case of the key, you always know where its at - in the ignition. My wife cant keep track of her key fob for $hit as it doesn't really have a place. Doesn't really work well for us.

Wife and I have the same FOB, I just keep mine in my front pocket, he has hers on the key chain with all her crap and just leaves in her purse/pocketbook. Some cars like Benz have a credit card size key that you can keep in wallet.

#117 6 years ago

"Do you like push buttons on your fan?"

#118 6 years ago

Old school key for me.

#119 6 years ago

I gotta admit as much as I love my key FOB not leaving my pocket, it has a nasty habit of sliding out and down the side of the seat next to my center console.

I usually place it in the cubby next to my shifter if I think about it.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

The driving experience is being eliminated from automobiles...I suppose that is why I like "real" pinball vs virtual pinball or video games.

If you are going to use an analogy for comparing push button starts to any kind of coin-op game, you have to focus on the start process itself. "Turning the key" as a part of the driving experience would be compared to dropping a coin in for credits to begin play. So you'll have your traditional keys in one pocket and your roll of coins in the other.

#121 6 years ago

I have driven the newer cars with the gee-whiz key fob. It is nice and convenient. But if I lose my old school key I will have a spare or two hidden somewhere because they are cheap.

Wait until you lose one of your gee--whiz key fobs and go to get a replacement and are told it will cost you around $300.00.

#122 6 years ago

I like the pusk button start o the Durango. It came standard ,but I wouldn't have not bought the vehicke if it had a key to start it. It's convenient, especially with the whole proximity sensor unlock / lock thing. I had to get used to it for about a day. The rotary shify knob was more of an issue to me.

It was a boring black button when I got it, so I switched it out for a red one. Doesn't do anything differently, just think it looks better. I could take it or leave it, but I read the manual, can start the vehicle if the fob goes dead, and if I destroy or lose a fob it's covered under my extended warranty

button before (resized).jpgbutton before (resized).jpg

button after (resized).jpgbutton after (resized).jpg

#123 6 years ago

Same with my Altima, it has a low battery indicator on dash. Be smart and pay attention and your battery won't die unexpectedly. If it does there is an emergency key in the FOB to get in...and the emergency override starting procedure.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 25% of owners were not aware of this feature. All it takes is reading the owner's manual and you can imagine how many people never open it.

Exactly.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have driven the newer cars with the gee-whiz key fob. It is nice and convenient. But if I lose my old school key I will have a spare or two hidden somewhere because they are cheap.
    Wait until you lose one of your gee--whiz key fobs and go to get a replacement and are told it will cost you around $300.00.

That's like losing your key and having to get one made from a locksmith without the original. I can buy a replacement key FOB for my Challenger for about $50, programming can be done by the dealer for another $50 or so or you can program it yourself with a existing FOB.

Don't wait until you lose your key FOB and it will be much more affordable to duplicate.

#125 6 years ago

My 2016 Tacoma Off Road 4x4 access cab has the push button start. Not a feature I really wanted until I got used to it. Soon figured out that the key never leaves your pocket. Next, they need to make the key the size of a credit card so it can fit in your wallet.

#126 6 years ago

Just bought a 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD sport 4x4 double cab. It has the pushbutton start & once you get used to it there is no going back. It has the touch sensor for the driver's door, so no fumbling with keys to unlock or to start.
    Only drawback is cost of the fob if you need a replacement -- about $400

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Next, they need to make the key the size of a credit card so it can fit in your wallet.

#128 6 years ago

Found something on push to start this weekend that I don't like. My Dad in his mid 80's put his car in the garage went up stairs for supper. Mom always checks all the doors at bedtime. Dad's car is running in the closed garage. Their C.O. detector did not alarm. I guess it is a good thing I have not been able to talk Dad into replacing the drafty garage doors.
    I tried the same gig with the Wife Rav 4, started it got out walked over to the woods. Then I went inside the house and put the key down. Meanwhile the car is still running. Maybe this is a designed warm up mode? I will have to look further into this, I don't want my folks gassed out.
    New C.C. detector installed yesterday. So my vote is insert key, turn key to start.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

Found something on push to start this weekend that I don't like. My Dad in his mid 80's put his car in the garage went up stairs for supper. Mom always checks all the doors at bedtime. Dad's car is running in the closed garage. Their C.O. detector did not alarm. I guess it is a good thing I have not been able to talk Dad into replacing the drafty garage doors.
    I tried the same gig with the Wife Rav 4, started it got out walked over to the woods. Then I went inside the house and put the key down. Meanwhile the car is still running. Maybe this is a designed warm up mode? I will have to look further into this, I don't want my folks gassed out.
    New C.C. detector installed yesterday. So my vote is insert key, turn key to start.

Few years ago I got a loaner vehicle that had keyless push start. Co-worker and I went out to try it. I started the car up gave him the key, and I was able to drive away without the key in the car. Not sure if they have a shutoff if you start the car with the key in the car to begin with.

My new car has remote start on the keyfob, and you can set the warmup time. Right now, after 15 minutes, if you don't start driving the car, it will shut off.

#130 6 years ago

I found something this weekend myself that I don't like about the push start. There's no "turn the key forward, but don't start the car" position.

So this weekend I was installing hood struts for my hood to get rid of the prop-rod. I was pulled too far up in the garage to work under the hood, so I just needed to roll the car back a foot. I didn't want to open the garage door to let all the heat out. In a keyed car, I would be able to turn the key to the first position, put the car in neutral, and roll it back. Guess you can't do that in a push button car.

You can push the button without the key in the car to get the accessories to turn on, but still doesn't disengage the shifter.

I'll have to look up in the manual to see if this can be done at all, or if the only way to take the car out of park is by turning it on.

#131 6 years ago

If you can start the engine without having your foot on the brake pedal while having the fob in the passenger compartment; your vehicle is not in compliance with an SAE Standard

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I found something this weekend myself that I don't like about the push start. There's no "turn the key forward, but don't start the car" position.
    So this weekend I was installing hood struts for my hood to get rid of the prop-rod. I was pulled too far up in the garage to work under the hood, so I just needed to roll the car back a foot. I didn't want to open the garage door to let all the heat out. In a keyed car, I would be able to turn the key to the first position, put the car in neutral, and roll it back. Guess you can't do that in a push button car.
    You can push the button without the key in the car to get the accessories to turn on, but still doesn't disengage the shifter.
    I'll have to look up in the manual to see if this can be done at all, or if the only way to take the car out of park is by turning it on.

Try pushing the button twice without your foot on the brake.

#133 6 years ago

If an EEEDIOT like Stimpy can do it, so can you!

9218F8E8-9A68-436A-B9C4-9E4BB6B1A521 (resized).jpeg9218F8E8-9A68-436A-B9C4-9E4BB6B1A521 (resized).jpeg
    But after driving one extensively with said “red button” for TPF, I’m more like:

20C303ED-C4C9-4F80-AD3E-6A6EDE8658D8 (resized).jpeg20C303ED-C4C9-4F80-AD3E-6A6EDE8658D8 (resized).jpeg

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Few years ago I got a loaner vehicle that had keyless push start. Co-worker and I went out to try it. I started the car up gave him the key, and I was able to drive away without the key in the car. Not sure if they have a shutoff if you start the car with the key in the car to begin with.
    My new car has remote start on the keyfob, and you can set the warmup time. Right now, after 15 minutes, if you don't start driving the car, it will shut off.

Checking into it further, they will run until you turn it off or run out of gas. I understand you would not want your car to shut off while driving because the key fob battery croaked out.
    I will contact Toyota and see if there is something other than the little beep when you the car running and exit. Seems there should be something for the hearing impaired.

#135 6 years ago

My Tesla has neither. There's no "on" button -- you just get in, put it in drive, and go.

You also don't need to turn it off. you simply park, and it locks when you walk away. Since there's no concept of "idling", it doesn't need to be "turned off" per se.

It's really a great implementation, made possible by the lack of a starter motor, and lack of an engine idle.

#136 6 years ago

I remember when I started paying my bills and buying stuff online. There were a lot of people who said they would NEVER use their credit card online or pay their bills through a bank website. Some said "I like to physically write checks!". I'm guessing there are a few of those people in this thread right now.

A hundred years ago there were people who refused to even ride in a car. There's always a few fossils...

#137 6 years ago

Spaceships won't have turn key ignitions.

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

My Tesla has neither. There's no "on" button -- you just get in, put it in drive, and go.
    You also don't need to turn it off. you simply park, and it locks when you walk away. Since there's no concept of "idling", it doesn't need to be "turned off" per se.
    It's really a great implementation, made possible by the lack of a starter motor, and lack of an engine idle.

Sounds like a golf cart to me.

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Spoken like someone who’s never been in one.

#140 6 years ago

Actually, it is the auto makers' fantasy to give us a magic carpet to ride on. Just climb aboard and go.

#141 6 years ago

I, as an auto technician don't care much for those remote start buttons either.

All it takes is one customer playing pocket pool, and off go some fingers.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Spoken like someone who’s never been in one.

Been in plenty of golf carts.

Just yankin your chain.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Just yankin your chain.

nah you're taking a swipe. it's fine, ignorance is bliss.

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Nah, golf carts are waAAyyy more fun to drive!
    Especially after you disable the governor.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Nah, golf carts are waAAyyy more fun to drive!
    Especially after you disable the governor.

another person who's never been in a Tesla. Feel free to ask for a ride if you find me at Pinburgh.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

another person who's never been in a Tesla. Feel free to ask for a ride if you find me at Pinburgh.

Oh Pez,
    You need to bring that baby back home to CA so we can chop the top off of that thing for some fresh (Pacific Ocean) air and of course, some halibut tacos.
    Palo Alto isn’t too far away from the Golden State Pinball Festival and it’s a beautiful drive up in the springtime.

Yes, I’ve driven most of the Tesla line (P90D, X, S and 3) and I still have no desire to spend $$$ on one.

My humble EB SWB Transit Wagon gives me all the “zazz” I need to pick up pins/vids at a moments notice. Plus it can outrange your Tesla too by about 100 miles.
    (Which is important in this cutthroat CL Pin-wasteland we live in!)

If I get the itch to go that fast in such a short amount of time, I can always go ride the Xcelerator at Knott’s and pair it with a cool/refreshing boysenberry punch afterwards for pennies on the dollar.

I stand by my statement.
    Un-governed golf carts FTW! (Plus, they still use a key too! )

#147 6 years ago

Actually you can use your cell phone as your “key” if you want. No need to carry anything.

At least you admit you are talking shit and not hiding behind “hey man just kidding” style cowardace.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

Quoted from NimblePin:

Yes, I’ve driven most of the Tesla line (P90D, X, S and 3)

I recently drove a model X Tesla and after driving it, I told my wife-it feels like driving a golf cart. The reason I said that is because it really did remind me of a golf cart with the acceleration pedal. I am not used to having to have your foot on the pedal all the time. If you take your foot off the pedal it would decelerate quickly, just like a golf cart. I am accustomed to traditional cars I guess, because I found it annoying. Not trying to poke fun, it is just that I actually did make a comparison to a golf cart after driving one.

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Actually you can use your cell phone as your “key” if you want. No need to carry anything.

Now some may compare the cars to the Hilton family of hotels. Check in on the app, room number given and your phone is used as your "key". All of their brands, even the Hampton Inns.

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Keyless cars also can go into on without running! My Toyota makes the differentiation whether you are holding the brake pedal or not when pressing start. Press start with no brake pedal - on without running. Press start while holding brake pedal - on and running.

Same thing for my '13 Charger.

And to the person who asked: there's a trunk release button inside my car.

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/push-button-start-on-cars-are-you-a-fan/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.