(Topic ID: 212343)

Push Button Start on Cars -- Are you a Fan?

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0216small (resized).jpg
    20C303ED-C4C9-4F80-AD3E-6A6EDE8658D8 (resized).jpeg
    9218F8E8-9A68-436A-B9C4-9E4BB6B1A521 (resized).jpeg
    button before (resized).jpg
    button after (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cutter (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    That was easy. (resized).jpg

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

I was looking at the redesigned 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL the other day and it has made the conversion to push button start. My '16 JK still has a key to turn the ignition, which I think I am more partial to. . . maybe because I'm old/its what I am used to.

Is a push button better than a key?

I might think pinsiders prefer the button as most pins are push button start. . .

#2 6 years ago

I hate push starts. Just as bad as push button 4 wheel drive, man up for gosh sakes. What is the etiquette on starting a push start, pinky finger up or extended as you start it?

#3 6 years ago

Nah, I prefer the normal key. How are you suppose to jump start it??

#4 6 years ago

The newest vehicle I own is a 1964 Riviera. All of my motorcycles are kick start only. I thought I’d be 100% in the “ignition key” only category but, this week I’ve been road tripping to TPF in my wife’s 2015 Subaru Outback. It has a push button start and acknowledges me when I walk up to the car-unlocking when I touch the door handle. (Drivers only when drivers side, all doors when I touch passenger side) You know what, I love not having to fumble around for keys. The fob has been safely in my pocket all week. I’m even considering adding push button start to my ‘58 pickup when I do the engine swap this summer. Never thought I’d like it but I do!

Oh, she also has a 2010 JK “fun car” and I just remembered how much her dangling key chain bugs me when I drive it in shorts! Another reason to go push button.

Oh, and because of this road trip, I also ordered a satellite radio receiver for my pickup truck. Now if I could only get the truck’s mileage close to the 45 mpg Highway avg I’m getting on this trip.

#5 6 years ago

My 1945 Jeep has push button start...granted it's on the floor. The key just gets power to the coil, but doesn't start it.

Just about all vehicles are push button start now. Keys will be phased out soon along with manual transmissions.

#6 6 years ago

My Grand father had a 1960 Buick . You started it by pushing the gas peddle all the way to the floor . I think that choked and started it at the same time .

#7 6 years ago

Yup. My 1959 Buick Invicta is the same way. Turn the key to on then hit the gas pedal. It really messes with valet parkers.

#8 6 years ago

I like the idea that you don't need a $200 key any more BUT I wonder what will happen in a few years when you push the "start" button - and it doesn't???

It seems like a repair nightmare to me........but I'm no car mechanic.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

My 1945 Jeep has push button start...granted it's on the floor. The key just gets power to the coil, but doesn't start it.

I believe that is either how our 1929 Ford Model A or 1917 Dodge is (or both), its been awhile since I started them.
    My 1970 Chevelle had the foot button the floor for switching on the bright lights. . . I always thought that was a neat feature.

#10 6 years ago

For cars in which I have to insert the key into the column, then push the button, it's a complete waste. For cars with keyless start where the key remains in your pocket, the push button start makes complete sense.

#11 6 years ago

I like them. Key fobs automatically lock and unlock your car doors when you approach the vehicle. Some even sense when they’re in the car, and the driver leaves—that way you can never lock your keys in the car.

All the fobs I’ve seen have a physical key tucked away in the plastic for emergencies, and jumping the car still works just fine. In some cases, the fob has an NFC chip in it for a 3rd line of defense.

I guess we’ll see how long term reliability of the system works out in the next 10+ years, but so far, I haven’t heard of too many issues.

#12 6 years ago

My old '58 Chevy pickup I had as teenager had a floor-button starter AND a hole in the grill for hand-crank starting. There was a fitted hole in the flywheel for the crank. My buddy almost broke his arm helping me start it once, when the engine kicked back.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

For cars with keyless start where the key remains in your pocket, the push button start makes complete sense.

This is how one of mine is, and I absolutely love it. Mon-Fri the key stays in my briefcase; I don't even see it until the weekend.

#14 6 years ago

My Mom's car has push button start. I end up driving it a couple times a year and hate it every time.

#15 6 years ago

Went from an '06 Mustang to a '17 Mustang at the start of this year. It's my first push button start. I actually like it. The thing I like the most is the whole keyless part. Just keep the key in my pocket and open the doors and start the car. There's no "nostalgic" lost without having a key.

As for having to jump it if they battery is dead. I feel that the starter is smart enough to keep cranking until the engine is started. The week after I got the car, the temperature was down in the 0's, and noticed one time that the starter cranked for a split second longer than it did previously.

The one thing I didn't like about the push button start, is that I killed the engine once while still backing out of my driveway. I pushed the Start button instead of turning on the radio. But i believe that it won't shut off if you're driving over a certain speed.

Also, with any spare keys, I can set up driving profiles. So that I can limit speed, keep radio off, basically piss off any teenager who may have a chance to drive it. I don't have any kids, so I never thought I would use that feature, until last week.

I dropped my car off at the dealer to get some work done, and noticed that someone took the car down a mile long road for a joyride. I have Automatic.com, and shows me where the car is, and if there was any hard accelerations or braking. And someone had some fun. I wasn't too pleased. So I'm going to program the other key to limit acceleration, for when I drop the car off at any repair places.

#16 6 years ago

It's kind of cool, but I wasn't going to pay for the upgrade. Onky thing I don't like is having to sit on your keys whilst driving

#17 6 years ago

My friend has one and it is different. Even with a key, some of the various cuts they have designed are insane.

#18 6 years ago

Push button start is like a virtual pin, nothing beats the real deal.

#19 6 years ago

Nope, hate 'em, just like "electric" parking brakes! Thankfully the car I have now has neither and I hope to drive it till the wheels fall off. Oh and it also is the last year that model didn't have a "black box".
    Another reason to hang onto it.

#20 6 years ago

The driving experience is being eliminated from automobiles.
    Push button starts, computers, automatic transmissions, push button transmissions (even though they had those back in the 60's), touch screen entertainment systems, driverless technology -- it is very comfortable and convenient for the person looking to get from point A to point B. That is not a bad thing, but I like having a feel for the vehicle I am driving. I can tell if something is normal vs. abnormal by the sounds, sensations, and smells along the way. Each car/truck has its own personality. I also like being able to fix something when it breaks -- I could not even change the battery on the wife's newer VW Beetle because I could not figure out how to get the darn thing out.

I suppose that is why I like "real" pinball vs virtual pinball or video games. I get to interact with the machine and have some control when playing the game as well as fixing/routine maintenance when needed.

Before long I (and others like me) will be left in the dust as the days of automated vehicles are on the horizon. Safety, Congestion, Technology, and Efficiency may bring a time where I will have to take my ride that runs on dinosaur oil to a designated area to drive it. People powered cars could be banned from certain roads and highways in the future.

#21 6 years ago

You know most of those button starts have a key hole if you pop off the button top, right?

Even our Chrysler van has a place to jam the fat end of the plastic key and turn it.

Damn old codgers.

#22 6 years ago

I have a 14 Ram Longhorn. Love the push button start. It's even nicer if you have keyless entry, no more digging in pocket for keys, just keep key fob in pocket or whatever you carry your stuff in. Wife has 17 Cherokee with the same options and she now likes this feature...

#23 6 years ago

Dislike. Always looking my key inside my car. It sounds crazy but I never know if it’s in my jacket or inside the car.

#24 6 years ago

Push button start and keyless entry with a vob is kinda lame if your a dude. It's good for women because you never need to dig your keys out of your purse. It annoys me that I still need to carry the vob. Tesla has it right with your phone or key card is the key. My wife loves it in her car but I am forever misplacing the vob.

Added over 6 years ago: I didn’t mean it was feminine, not sure why I’m getting thumbs down. Just meant I like not having to carry a key at all.

#25 6 years ago

There was a thread/poll recently about Launch Ball button Vs. plunger. Not sure who won, but now, getting back on topic... I want to start my car with a spring-loaded plunger.

#26 6 years ago

I don’t own any cars with push start but I have plenty of family and friends that do. I want push button, remote start, keyless entry, auto drive, all of it...bring on the new technology! Oh, I’m a commuter so yea, the easier it is to drive, start + warm up + defrost or cool my car the better. Give me 60+ mpg, not 0-60mph. Yea im not a real dude and I play soccer, but I’m realist who wants an easier life. Bring it on!

If I’m saving $300+ a month cause of new tech, I’ll be able to get a JJPOTC-LE in 2021, bring it on!

#27 6 years ago

I took the key start mod back off my Getaway to make it start with a button like a real car. About time cars start adopting technolgy pinball's have been using for years.

#28 6 years ago

Not a fan of it, and here is why: you still need something to start the car which in this case is the key fob thingy. So the problem becomes, where do you put it? In the case of the key, you always know where its at - in the ignition. My wife cant keep track of her key fob for $hit as it doesn't really have a place. Doesn't really work well for us.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Damn old codgers.

I heard that, asshole!!

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

You know most of those button starts have a key hole if you pop off the button top, right?
    Even our Chrysler van has a place to jam the fat end of the plastic key and turn it.
    Damn old codgers.

Do they have a place to manually open a trunk though? I have a key and my battery died and couldn't open the trunk... Something I never even thought of before.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

No. When that battery in your key fob goes dead, you are stranded!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I was looking at the redesigned 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL the other day and it has made the conversion to push button start. My '16 JK still has a key to turn the ignition, which I think I am more partial to. . . maybe because I'm old/its what I am used to.
    I might think pinsiders prefer the button as most pins are push button start. . .

No. And it's less secure than a key since thieves can amplify the signal from the fob in your house and start your car without you in it.

Quoted from paragon66x:

Not a fan of it, and here is why: you still need something to start the car which in this case is the key fob thingy. So the problem becomes, where do you put it? In the case of the key, you always know where its at - in the ignition. My wife cant keep track of her key fob for $hit as it doesn't really have a place. Doesn't really work well for us.

Tile is your friend.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Break off your key in the steering column and you're even more stranded.

I'll take my push start any day personally. It's easy enough to change a battery and they last for a long time. Standard watch style battery. I just bought 25 of them for $10.00 last week.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nope

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Break off your key in the steering column and you're even more stranded.

Yeah, like that happens all the time! You can still turn it with a screwdriver.

Some of you guys will try to think of any reason why new technology is always better. Tell that to the little old lady who's key fob went dead for her Lexus at my work a little while back.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some of you guys will try to think of any reason why new technology is always better. Tell that to the little old lady who's key fob went dead for her Lexus at my work a little while back.

I would tell her how to unlock her Lexus and how to start it with a dead keyfob. Do you really think the car manufacturers didn't come up with a backup method in the case of a dead battery?

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I would tell her how to unlock her Lexus with a dead keyfob.

Well, why don't you tell us how to unlock and start an older keyless Lexus with a dead fob battery. I'm listening.

Because nobody had a clue at the time.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Well, why don't you tell us how to unlock and start an older keyless Lexus with a dead fob battery. I'm listening.

What year and model?

#39 6 years ago

What year and model?

I don't remember. It was one of the earliest models.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I was a valet at a country club years ago and saw at least two keys broken off accidentally in the ignition. Maybe a Benz and a Volvo with flip style keys.

These newer cars also having warnings that your key FOB is low and gve you plenty of time to pop off the back and stick a new battery in. Takes less than 1 minute.

#41 6 years ago

There is something insanely funny to me about the fear of technology that you can google the answer in seconds. Technology makes life so much easier. If you can think of a problem in 10 seconds there is a pretty good chance someone else can too.

#42 6 years ago

Toyota and Lexus (and many others) keyfobs have a physical key inside them that can be released, usually this is the part with the ring to hook onto your keys. This will unlock the driver's door. To start the car you hold the keyfob up to the start button, hold the brake pedal and press start. There is an inductive coil inside the start button that will provide just enough power to activate the security circuit in the keyfob to let the car recognize it and start.

#43 6 years ago

I never take my key out of my pocket. What's not to like about that? I honestly cant imagine anyone not wanting PB technology.

Plus it looks cool.

That was easy. (resized).jpgThat was easy. (resized).jpg

#44 6 years ago

To start the car you hold the keyfob up to the start button, hold the brake pedal and press start. There is an inductive coil inside the start button that will provide just enough power to activate the security circuit in the keyfob to let the car recognize it and start.

That's great! Wonder why the owner of the car was not aware of that.

What really sucks about keyless ignitions for me is there is no on position without the car running. Meaning when I have to see if the check engine light is functioning, I have a split second to do so, and in many cases the light is in any number of places.

So, how do you put a keyless car into the on but not running position on all cars, then I will gladly accept it for what it is. Otherwise it's just another nuisance and inconvenience.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I never take my key out of my pocket. What's not to like about that? I honestly cant imagine anyone not wanting PB technology.
    Plus it looks cool.

That photo looks like a very nice car,looks like real carbon fiber trim,I love push button,I first saw it in my Elise and then ford motor and other use the key fob tech and you just have to walk up to the car it unlocks and you step in and push button,what's not to love.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What really sucks about keyless ignitions for me is there is no on position without the car running. Meaning when I have to see if the check engine light is functioning, I have a split second to do so, and in many cases the light is in any number of places.
    So, how do you put a keyless car into the on but not running position on all cars, then I will gladly accept it for what it is. Otherwise it's just another nuisance and inconvenience.

On my 2017 F150, I hit the start button without my foot on the brake.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 25% of owners were not aware of this feature. All it takes is reading the owner's manual and you can imagine how many people never open it.

Keyless cars also can go into on without running! My Toyota makes the differentiation whether you are holding the brake pedal or not when pressing start. Press start with no brake pedal - on without running. Press start while holding brake pedal - on and running.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

So that will turn the truck on and not start it?

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Once for ACC position and twice for RUN (but not start) position.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I was a valet at a country club years ago and saw at least two keys broken off accidentally in the ignition. Maybe a Benz and a Volvo with flip style keys.
    These newer cars also having warnings that your key FOB is low and gve you plenty of time to pop off the back and stick a new battery in. Takes less than 1 minute.

except my 2008 nissan altima constantly says the batteries are dying, even when i replace them.
    as far as the tech, eh. i can take it or leave it. wife loves it though.

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/push-button-start-on-cars-are-you-a-fan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.