(Topic ID: 278209)

Purpose of small square rubber dot on apron?

By AlexRogan84

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Sticky rubber dot on apron (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

What is the purpose of the small square rubber dot / pad on the apron? This is on a Data East Lethal Weapon 3 machine. It is just in front of the Data East logo. Is it meant to be a sort of padding in case someone leans hard enough on the glass and it takes the weight onto the apron / playfield? Mine is sticky, that's why I ask. Feels like there's adhesive on it. Probably just the rubber deteriorating over time though.

Sticky rubber dot on apron (resized).jpgSticky rubber dot on apron (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

I believe they are there so when you pull the playfield up it can have something to rest on the front of the back box to minimize damage

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Feels like there's adhesive on it. Probably just the rubber deteriorating over time though.

It is decomposing. Other manufactures have a rubber plug that is the same thing.
    It is a glass dampener.

#4 3 years ago

It keeps the playfield glass from bending/bowing/breaking from players pressing hard in that area. Machine manufacturers have been putting that rubber there for over 50 years now.

#5 3 years ago

Beauty. Thanks for the replies. I'll probably remove the sticky, deteriorating one I have and put something new in it's place. Cheers!

#6 3 years ago

I always though this rubber at the apron

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

Was to compliment this rubber in the back of the playfield

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

So when the cabinet is stood up on its back the playfield would be snug and not teeter back in forth during transport.

#7 3 years ago

Interesting. I don't have any of those rubber pieces snugging up the playfield or glass into position. That's a good question about how much the playfield would move once up on it's back when moving. Not sure what the answer is. Probably changes over time and with each specific machine, i.e. condition and things becoming loose or worn down.

1 year later
    #8 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me the part number for the square apron rubber? Can't find it anywhere in the manual.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

Can anyone tell me the part number for the square apron rubber? Can't find it anywhere in the manual.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6313-1

#10 2 years ago

This is a little different to the one I'm looking for. The Data East rubber is square and attached to the apron with adhesive, as in OP's pic. There is no hole for the grommet to go through so I'm not sure that one would work.

If there's no direct replacement available I'll look into making something fit...

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

This is a little different to the one I'm looking for. The Data East rubber is square and attached to the apron with adhesive, as in OP's pic. There is no hole for the grommet to go through so I'm not sure that one would work.

Any matches here?

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/rubbers/pads-grommets.html

#12 2 years ago

No, unfortunately! I looked through everything in the miscellaneous rubber category on Marco, too.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

No, unfortunately! I looked through everything in the miscellaneous rubber category on Marco, too.

Just look up black adhesive squares, common on equipment and furniture.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/purpose-of-small-square-rubber-dot-on-apron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.