(Topic ID: 138844)

Purpose of pair 150 microfarad caps on speaker?

By dmacy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dmacy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg

#1 8 years ago

On a friends FH, there are these caps on the speaker. Is this to change the impedance? And what's the coil on the speaker housing tied into the speakers? I had a FH but hadn't seen this before.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#2 8 years ago

This is a crossover to filter out high end, a low-pass filter. Normally, you would use a single bipolar electrolytic cap, but they are more expensive, so you can just wire two normal ones like this to make a bipolar one.

In other words, it isn't necessary to make the speaker work properly. A passive cross-over like this would alter the impedance, because impedance changes with frequency. AC is a confusing thing.

#3 8 years ago

My guess would be an attempt to try to cut down on high frequencies through the speakers, either noise or maybe an attempt to build a rudimentary crossover if the speakers are wired in series. Putting the two caps in series halves the capacitance, so it's effectively like putting a 75uF cap on there. But I'd be concerned about reverse biasing the caps unless there was something else connected to the side that's tied together.

No idea on the coil...

#4 8 years ago

my BoP has a coil there also

#5 8 years ago

Ok thanks to you both! That makes sense.

Odd about the coil. The machine does have a knocker in the normal upper left of back box so it's not a knocker.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

you can just wire two normal ones like this to make a bipolar one

Ok, sure, that makes sense.

#7 8 years ago

Just to be diligent; the caps may also play a role in blocking any DC component of the audio signal. Many LM386 audio amps run from a single supply; which means that may be biased with a dc offset so you don't get clipping.

Just make sure you don't completely remove any caps on your speaker without consulting the audio circuit.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks Zitt. It was working fine this way he said. We may leave well enough alone until we can confirm everything is working as it should.

#9 8 years ago

Re: the coil . . . An older RGP post indicates that A-14418 is a choke, meant to filter out the bass sounds in the backbox speakers (leaving them for the main cabinet speaker). There is no plunger in the coil. Funhouse manual & parts list calls A-14418 a "x-over coil assy" and A-14292-1 as the "x-over coil & brkt assy".

#10 8 years ago

any coil can be a choke. However i thought that a choke coil was for filtering out high end. I do this regularly with extra coils i have laying around and different value coils will cross over at different frequencies. I have a 23-800 on T3 which sounds amazing but it cut out midbass in GnR so i used an old em coil which worked better.

-c

#11 8 years ago

To be clear, I know nothing about chokes or audio circuits I am just re-posting what I found.

#12 8 years ago

A capacitor blocks bass from getting to a tweeter or midrange. A choke blocks higher frequencies from getting to a subwoofer.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks again to all. As a follow up, I have found some other photo galleries that show the same caps on the bottom speaker including one from HEP's gallery. We did keep things as they were and had to ask about how the IDC connectors were to be placed on the sound board (each pair of wires had a wire pulled from the IDC). Surprisingly there wasn't lots of pictures showing these connections including my own FH.

The speakers sound fine but I'd feel better seeing how these connections with a picture confirming these are correct.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/purpose-of-pair-150-microfarad-caps-on-speaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.