Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2149 (resized).JPG
#1 8 months ago

This is my 1976 Gottlieb Sure Shot

I noticed the other day how hot to the touch this coil on the back of the coin door is. It seems like it is always on. Wasn't sure if something was wrong here.

What does this coil do? And is it supposed to be energized all the time?

IMG_2149 (resized).JPGIMG_2149 (resized).JPG
#2 8 months ago

That's the lock out coil.

When it's off, coins are rejected. When it's on, coins are allowed through.

If you're not using coin play, the coil can be disconnected.

#3 8 months ago

What ForceFlow said.
It was to stop folks from dropping in more coins when it wouldn't give a credit. (ie - Credit is already at max.)

#4 8 months ago

As a small adjunct to the excellent responses above, I use coins to obtain credits (but not on location, so I am not concerned about coin drops when the machine is off) and I still disconnect the lockout coils.

Others may have better techniques, but my approach is to cut the wires from the coil lugs and use two small wire caps to 1) keep the two same color wires tied together (required to maintain the downstream path from the coin door) and 2) cap off the unneeded black wire.

I then use a small zip tie to pull the coil armature into place against the coil so coins always go through the coin mechs.

#5 8 months ago

It was really just designed to make an annoying buzzing sound when the game is on.

#6 8 months ago

Clip the single wire and isolate it if it bothers you (with game off, of course).

#7 8 months ago

Cut it!

#8 8 months ago

I cut them on mine. No point as games will never be routed again.

#9 8 months ago

Disconnect it as they get pretty crispy.

#10 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I cut them on mine. No point as games will never be routed again.

Mine are cut on all my routed games. If you're putting quarters in a game that's off, you deserve to lose it.

#11 8 months ago

Some EM games don't light up until the first game is started (or in some cases until the left flipper button is pressed), even though they're turned on. I think that's why some games have a Coin Lock Out coil - because there were players who expected the game to light up and start up at the drop of a coin. The Coin Lock Out coil was there to prevent players from losing coins in games that were off - and avoiding pissing off the player and operator who would hear about it.

Quoted from Coyote:

It was to stop folks from dropping in more coins when it wouldn't give a credit. (ie - Credit is already at max.)

I wasn't aware of that. Do you recall a game with that feature?

/Mark

#12 8 months ago

Thanks a lot for the explanations. Much appreciated.

One of my coin slots accepts coins and the other does not and I suspect it's related to this coil. Everything else had checked out including the coin mechs. I'll look closer at this coil and how it is connected.

I only use coin drop on this game because it doesn't have a credit button or switch of some kind added to it. Yet. That's something I was planning on doing, just hadn't figured out where to put it so it's unobtrusive looking.

#13 8 months ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Thanks a lot for the explanations. Much appreciated.
One of my coin slots accepts coins and the other does not and I suspect it's related to this coil. Everything else had checked out including the coin mechs. I'll look closer at this coil and how it is connected.
I only use coin drop on this game because it doesn't have a credit button or switch of some kind added to it. Yet. That's something I was planning on doing, just hadn't figured out where to put it so it's unobtrusive looking.

You’re one alligator clip or switch adjustment away from never having to drop coins in again

#14 8 months ago
Quoted from DK:

You’re one alligator clip or switch adjustment away from never having to drop coins in again

Is there a write-up for that sort of thing?

#15 8 months ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Is there a write-up for that sort of thing?

Section 4b
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.