(Topic ID: 168164)

Pure pinball love (Bally is taking over)

By DEN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D29770B5-90DC-47E3-8DCE-D770C923EA40 (resized).jpeg
AAD61052-8E6B-4253-9F30-E8326EF0B529 (resized).jpeg
20170424_161823 (resized).jpg
20170423_204507 (resized).jpg
853f1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170401_174511578 (resized).jpg
IMG_9997 (resized).JPG
IMG_9996 (resized).JPG
IMG_9995 (resized).JPG
IMG_9994 (resized).JPG
IMG_9993 (resized).JPG
IMG_9992 (resized).JPG
IMG_9991 (resized).JPG
IMG_9990 (resized).JPG
IMG_9989 (resized).JPG
IMG_9988 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NicoVolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I cut my teeth playing EMS in the 70s and it was obvious to me Bally was starting to overtake the competition with the general look and feel of their games.
As they went solid state there weren't too many of their now popular titles in my area to play. Seemed most were Williams. History now shows Bally was at the top of their game in the early solid state era.

Spot-on, o-din. After restoring a dozen or so machines spanning the decades, it became quite clear to me how Bally began to take the lead in the early 70's. Backglasses got larger, playfields got DC rectification, the mechs were more robust and easier to service, etc... whereas Gottlieb was content to coast on their wave of previous successes. And boy did it eventually cost them.

If I had to pick a year, I'd say 1974 was the turning point. Gottlieb was still releasing quaint themes ("Out Of Sight/Far Out") while Bally was busy recruiting Norm Clark who was already playing with solid state tech. You can see the shift with Bow & Arrow... the huge backglass, fast gameplay, etc. which set the stage for the early Bally SS classic era (Harlem, Future Spa, Paragon) and then the Class Of '81 peak.

Sadly, '82 was pretty much a disaster with Bally being forced to take wild creative swings in every direction to fend off the video game craze and just couldn't do it except, ironically, by licensing a video game title - Mr. & Ms. Pac Man.

Williams didn't get their SS act together until Space Shuttle. Sure, they were cranking out huge numbers of games in the early days... but the artwork and overall execution was nowhere near as polished as Bally. I cringe every time I see a Flash backglass... geez.

Bally is my favorite manufacturer all things considered. Even after the WMS acquisition the brand still cranked out hits like the Elvira games, Mousin' Around, and Revenge From Mars. Gone but not forgotten *sniff*

#145 7 years ago

Viking = Centaur + Flip Flop + Mata Hari. Pretty cool game. Only drawback is they used the same obnoxious bonus shot alarm as on Space Invaders... and it can't be disabled.

#152 7 years ago

Seawitch #1 for me. Simple rules, lots to shoot at, plays fast, and cool GFX. Doesn't have that scientific calculator-look of many Sterns... can never figure out what to do.

#186 7 years ago

I had an Embryon and LOVE the art and sounds... right out of "Alien" and so many other creepy sci-horror films. I just wish it had better programming to tie the theme and gameplay together because the gameplay is a little slow/rules a bit ambiguous. But I guess that is part of the appeal. Like standing at the control center of a strange laboratory/spaceship and trying to figure out how it all works.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

» Vimeo video
A sweet and short Bally documentary!

I guess that's why "Old Chicago" is a particularly appropriate theme for Bally!

3 months later
#246 7 years ago

Xenon looks great, but the gameplay is among the weaker games of that period. To me, geometry and rules are the "main thing" in my decision process to keep or sell a game.

I think Harlem Globetrotters, Paragon, EBD, Flash Gordon, Medusa, Fathom, and Embryon are all spectacular. Lots of other good ones too like Elektra and Centaur but they get more tradeoffy in terms of rules/complexity...

1 month later
#272 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Totally new to EM and I have no chance to play. So just asking: how do your EMs play compared to the Ballys SSs?

Most if not all of the later-generation Bally EM's have rectifiers on the pops (and strong flippers too)... they play just as fast as the SS games in my experience.

1 month later
#282 7 years ago

Lemme know if that guy ever wants to sell the middle-pop Freedom...

3 years later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NicoVolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pure-pinball-love-bally-is-taking-over?tu=NicoVolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.