(Topic ID: 168164)

Pure pinball love (Bally is taking over)

By DEN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D29770B5-90DC-47E3-8DCE-D770C923EA40 (resized).jpeg
AAD61052-8E6B-4253-9F30-E8326EF0B529 (resized).jpeg
20170424_161823 (resized).jpg
20170423_204507 (resized).jpg
853f1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170401_174511578 (resized).jpg
IMG_9997 (resized).JPG
IMG_9996 (resized).JPG
IMG_9995 (resized).JPG
IMG_9994 (resized).JPG
IMG_9993 (resized).JPG
IMG_9992 (resized).JPG
IMG_9991 (resized).JPG
IMG_9990 (resized).JPG
IMG_9989 (resized).JPG
IMG_9988 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luppin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Half my collection are those 80/81 Ballys. At some point I might sell them, but I think Flash Gordon is staying even if I lose the bug for Ballys in general.

I never had to chance to see and play such old machines.
I think I understand your tasted for DMD and I am similar.
How do you explain the experience with those Ballys compared to the best (TS, Tron..) DMDs?

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's one major difference between my early Ballys and my modern DMD games: they're just way lower effort to step up and play. I love Metallica, top 5 Stern game of all time, one of my favorites. But it's a bit of a grind to play it if you're not really in the mood. Gotta keep hitting shots, collecting stuff, building up to these big modes. If you're trying for a good game it's going to take a little while, and if you don't have what it takes you're not going to get much satisfaction out of your play.
With the early Ballys you just start flipping. Your ball isn't going to last long, I keep Flash Gordon on 5 ball and we can finish a 4 player game while someone is still on ball 1 of Metallica. The addiction is more in the "one more game" aspect, than the really long epic journey single game.
Easy to play, hard to master.
I like to keep my collection balanced that way, different games for different moods.

1) Yes, I know about the short ball times. Surely it's a totally different experience compared to modern machines with deep rules. But how do those Ballys compare to other modern short ball time games like BSD or TS? I am asking about the gameplay. I know art is different, and definitely gorgeous.

2) Also: a very important aspect for me is music. Almost all my machines have great soundtracks (Space Station, Swords of Fury the best of all time, but also BSD and TS have excellent soundtracks), and for me bad music/sounds is a total killer, especially relative to lastability. What about this for those Ballys? Are those sounds old but somehow fascinating and hypnotizing, or get boring after a while? Maybe you like those sounds because you played those machines during your youth and there is a strong nostalgic effect?

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

1) I don't consider Shadow a short ball time game. It's not an easy game, but you can have pretty decent balls on it. Flash Gordon is the kind of game that punishes you for making the shot you intended to make. The old brutal stuff is just more brutal.
I dunno, DMD games just play different. Shadow for instance has multiballs and modes and Vengeance and all the stuff that makes it a great game. Old Ballys are much simpler, knock down some drop target banks, get the bonus up, shoot the spinner kind of stuff. Simple is kind of the point.
2) I love the old school sounds, and it's not a nostalgia thing. I didn't play pinball as a kid, my arcade time was on video games. But I think that's really a personal preference thing. Nothing makes me happier than lighting the spinners on Flash Gordon and ripping them, I'm addicted to that rising tone.

Yes, Shadow not too short ball time. Just mentioned as still opposite to super deep extra long ball time new machines where the ball never drains.

So, it looks like I have to check some of those machines out. Interesting descriptions, they made me curious.

3 months later
#237 7 years ago

Im new to ss early pins. Considering getting a Bally.
Which one do you suggest as a single early 80 pin, among the best but not expensive ones?

#242 7 years ago

What about Xenon, Embryon, Paragon?

1 month later
#270 7 years ago
Quoted from WIZ:

Getting a Vector tomorrow to go with its other 2 triplets. That will bring me up to 7 Bally SSs along with the top 2 Bally EMs.

Totally new to EM and I have no chance to play. So just asking: how do your EMs play compared to the Ballys SSs?

1 month later
#275 7 years ago

Question: how do you rate those classic Ballys compared to later early SS machine (pre-System 11)? I mean, good 84/85 machines like Space Shuttle or Sorcerer?

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Anyone wany to buy my perfect playing original fathom??
2650 euro

So, is the Bally fever already over? Or is just Fathom not having that much lasting power?

#285 7 years ago

oooookkk!!

whats next then?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Luppin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pure-pinball-love-bally-is-taking-over?tu=Luppin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.