(Topic ID: 168164)

Pure pinball love (Bally is taking over)

By DEN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D29770B5-90DC-47E3-8DCE-D770C923EA40 (resized).jpeg
AAD61052-8E6B-4253-9F30-E8326EF0B529 (resized).jpeg
20170424_161823 (resized).jpg
20170423_204507 (resized).jpg
853f1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170401_174511578 (resized).jpg
IMG_9997 (resized).JPG
IMG_9996 (resized).JPG
IMG_9995 (resized).JPG
IMG_9994 (resized).JPG
IMG_9993 (resized).JPG
IMG_9992 (resized).JPG
IMG_9991 (resized).JPG
IMG_9990 (resized).JPG
IMG_9989 (resized).JPG
IMG_9988 (resized).JPG

There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from ViolinSteve:

Wow! That is beautiful.

No waiting for CPR. This is a genuine NOS Bally playfield clear coated by HSA. Hoping it all gets here within a couple weeks.

#102 7 years ago

There are plenty of good Bally games out there that don't go for a lot of money. Collecting early Bally SS is probably the easiest to get into. They are what I started on. Lots of parts. Boards are still serviceable sans some corrosion issues compared to a system like gottlieb implemented.

Black Pyramid has a lot of the same qualities that make me like Mata Hari. Future Spa is a lot of fun too. Both of those games don't go for much $$$

The only early bally game I can think of that i don't like is Lost World, that game is a snooze fest.

#103 7 years ago

I went through my "Classic Bally Fever" last year and collected an amazing set of games!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-like-paragon-you-will-love

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_4264 (resized).jpgIMG_4264 (resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago

I cut my teeth playing EMS in the 70s and it was obvious to me Bally was starting to overtake the competition with the general look and feel of their games.

As they went solid state there weren't too many of their now popular titles in my area to play. Seemed most were Williams. History now shows Bally was at the top of their game in the early solid state era.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

I went through my "Classic Bally Fever" last year and collected an amazing set of games!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-like-paragon-you-will-love
Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

Wow, that's a pretty site. Really thinking of going all 80's Bally pins when the bigger house comes. And maybe swap a couple in for the time being.

#106 7 years ago

People have been doing that trick for years. Still, it's a good thread.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The only early bally game I can think of that i don't like is Lost World, that game is a snooze fest.

Ugh, no kidding. Zzzzzzz. Just waiting for your bonus to count up is enough to send you to sleep.

#108 7 years ago

The bonus takes too long, but it plays fast with WPC flipper mechs. Joe

#109 7 years ago

Love my Bally's
Eightball
Playboy
Star Trek
Xenon
Flash Gordon
Medusa
X's & O's
And working on a project EBD

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Some people paid way more than $12k for MM.
Still, don't hold your breath for a $4000 Fathom any time soon.
Won't happen.
rd

I'm not. I just said they would sell a lot if they remade it. I don't really think it's going to happen.

#111 7 years ago

back after two days and 66new posts on this topic, nice.

Lots of ballylobe here, nice reading.

Ohhh man remakes of these oldpins would bee awesome, but also east to make.

I have a lovley embryon, allways thought it was a rare pin, but as i can read here, allemot every bally collector here has godt one. NICE. Love that pin.

More pics guys.

Anyone got new pf from cpr?? Pics please. Fathom and centaur pf's should bee ready for shipment now. (Lucky basterds)

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Anyone got new pf from cpr??

Nah, mine came from Bally.

#113 7 years ago

Dumb storey today. While buying a pin, talking in da phone. Seller tells me he has an old pin too.
Not played in years. Should work, but not played.
Seller lives half days ride from me. He tells me its a flash gordon. He bought it for in usd about 400 and wants same amount back.
400usd for a flash gordon well thats just crazy.

My friend lives close by the seller. I ask him if he wants to pick up fg for me.

My friend calls me. Tells me that flash gordon is worn. Its not a game i should buy. But still i was thinking its an awesome bally pin and soo cheap, why not. Untillll i got pictures.... Please scroll down and look at pics. Well i was dissapointed. Did not buy.

Yeoppp dumb storey today....

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#114 7 years ago

Flash is fun to play!

#115 7 years ago

Flash BG looks really good.
Don't really see wear on PF

#116 7 years ago

1981 was a very good year...
-mof

20160717_214331 (resized).jpg20160717_214331 (resized).jpg

#117 7 years ago

Yeah, Ballys are OK.

20160908_214341 (resized).jpg20160908_214341 (resized).jpg

#118 7 years ago

"My name is Dave, and I have a problem ..."

rd

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

This is what I use. Work great. In fact I ordered another 5 sets yesterday.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-ballystern-led-adapter-kit-review
rd</blockquote
Ordered!

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Yeah, too many games

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Yeah, too many games

I actually sold one today. Not a classic though ....

I actually foresee a time when I only have classic machines left ...

rd

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I actually foresee a time when I only have classic machines left ...

I wouldn't know what you are talking about.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wouldn't know what you are talking about.

You're my template, old mate ...

rd

#124 7 years ago

My Ballys. image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#125 7 years ago

Awesome to see all of the bad ass Bally line ups.

#126 7 years ago

My boys

#127 7 years ago

just picked up a embryon,...... anybody interested? gonna need to get a backglass this one is peeling.

#128 7 years ago

Mof and rotordave. Respect maximum. Looks nice.

Friend is commin over, carlberg beers (probepley best berr in da world). We gonna play..... Eight ball deluxe.... 3 ball. Stop talking start.... . Owner knows the rest

#129 7 years ago

On my fathom. Green bonus 1 to 10 looks great with leds.
Right side bonus 1 to 10 with exact same leds flickers like hell. How is that possible??

#130 7 years ago

Bally Harley Davidson is not of the era,but the playfield design looks 80's cool with drops, spinners, reverse outlanes, kick out holes.Open up the gates to make the orbit shot like Attack from mars.

Dont like the backbox artwork much,but would certainly have one.Never played one or seen one.

#131 7 years ago

Another good Bally classic is Space Invaders. Like other Ballys of this era, a visually stunning game. It's primitive sound effects are representative of the era, and when set up right plays pretty fast for a widebody.

12799459_10206961847702327_4517130942487466472_n (resized).jpg12799459_10206961847702327_4517130942487466472_n (resized).jpg

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Bally Harley Davidson is not of the era,but the playfield design looks 80's cool with drops, spinners, reverse outlanes, kick out holes

HD was an early WPC title, from around 1991, aimed at making a cheaper "street level" pin.

It's pretty much a Clanger. Avoid unless you can get it dirt cheap.

rd

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Another good Bally classic is Space Invaders. Like other Ballys of this era, a visually stunning game. It's primitive sound effects are representative of the era, and when set up right plays pretty fast for a widebody.

Bally had the most eye catching backglasses in the mid '70's to early '80's for sure.

#134 7 years ago

Ahhhhh have you seen xenon bg???

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

LOVE your problem, RD. Cheers!

#136 7 years ago

Nasty problem Dave got. Ive been infected too.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I cut my teeth playing EMS in the 70s and it was obvious to me Bally was starting to overtake the competition with the general look and feel of their games.
As they went solid state there weren't too many of their now popular titles in my area to play. Seemed most were Williams. History now shows Bally was at the top of their game in the early solid state era.

Spot-on, o-din. After restoring a dozen or so machines spanning the decades, it became quite clear to me how Bally began to take the lead in the early 70's. Backglasses got larger, playfields got DC rectification, the mechs were more robust and easier to service, etc... whereas Gottlieb was content to coast on their wave of previous successes. And boy did it eventually cost them.

If I had to pick a year, I'd say 1974 was the turning point. Gottlieb was still releasing quaint themes ("Out Of Sight/Far Out") while Bally was busy recruiting Norm Clark who was already playing with solid state tech. You can see the shift with Bow & Arrow... the huge backglass, fast gameplay, etc. which set the stage for the early Bally SS classic era (Harlem, Future Spa, Paragon) and then the Class Of '81 peak.

Sadly, '82 was pretty much a disaster with Bally being forced to take wild creative swings in every direction to fend off the video game craze and just couldn't do it except, ironically, by licensing a video game title - Mr. & Ms. Pac Man.

Williams didn't get their SS act together until Space Shuttle. Sure, they were cranking out huge numbers of games in the early days... but the artwork and overall execution was nowhere near as polished as Bally. I cringe every time I see a Flash backglass... geez.

Bally is my favorite manufacturer all things considered. Even after the WMS acquisition the brand still cranked out hits like the Elvira games, Mousin' Around, and Revenge From Mars. Gone but not forgotten *sniff*

#138 7 years ago

Good stuff everyone. Does anyone have a Voltan? I have read it's not a good game but it has some of if not the best ever Bally artwork. I still have not seen an alternate Strikes and Spares backglass either. Rumors only.

#139 7 years ago

Voltan. Just got offerd one in trade with my fathom. I live in denmark and voltan located in the states. Too much shipping costs.
Should bee about 300produced if i am not wrong

#140 7 years ago

Early 80's pins are pure pinballs. Much more fun when you want to play with friends, no complicated rules and super challenging gameplay. Artwork, sounds and gameplay are fantastic Never bought a dmd or 84' pins and later.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Early 80's pins are pure pinballs. Much more fun when you want to play with friends, no complicated rules and super challenging gameplay. Artwork, sounds and gameplay are fantastic Never bought a dmd or 84' pins and later.

You sir, are a class act. Nice collection.
-mof

#142 7 years ago

I dont own any classics at the moment but i hope too.This one is a blast!

IMAG3273 (resized).jpgIMAG3273 (resized).jpg

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I dont own any classics at the moment but i hope too.This one is a blast!

The game is lit up but nothing is showing in any of the score windows.

And I'm not too sure about those apron cards.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

400usd for a flash

Even though it's not a Flash Gordon, Flash is still a fun game, and $400 isn't that bad of a price.

#145 7 years ago

Viking = Centaur + Flip Flop + Mata Hari. Pretty cool game. Only drawback is they used the same obnoxious bonus shot alarm as on Space Invaders... and it can't be disabled.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Voltan. Just got offerd one in trade with my fathom. I live in denmark and voltan located in the states. Too much shipping costs.
Should bee about 300produced if i am not wrong

365, but likely less than 300 still around today. I've been told its more an art piece (Dave Christensen art is just stunning)...then a player. I know I'd like to own one if the price was reasonable.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album454

#147 7 years ago

Almost picked up a Voltan about a year ago. Price was just under 2k. Just don't think it was worth that price tag givin the gameplay. Beautiful pin, but it really is more to look at, sort of like a '78 KISS.

#148 7 years ago

For Ballys I currently have EBD (my 4th one), Centaur (my 2nd one), Paragon (my 6th one), Flash Gordon (my 3rd one), and Fathom (my 3rd one). I have seen myself dip into Stern SS and Gottlieb system 80 pins recently of the same era so it must be that the late 70's/early 80's pins were the best pins made!

#149 7 years ago

Hmmmm alot of love for stern ss also.
So in my hopinion best ballys are, top 3 spot. Embryon fathom and ebd.

What about stern top 3 from same aera?? Whitch ones too look after/at knowing whitch games i like.

Very important needs to have background noice. Speech not imortant. I love kiss gameplay but lack of backgroundnoice and one hit sound kills the game for me.

Soo what to look at, at sterns??

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Hmmmm alot of love for stern ss also.
So in my hopinion best ballys are, top 3 spot. Embryon fathom and ebd.
What about stern top 3 from same aera?? Whitch ones too look after/at knowing whitch games i like.
Very important needs to have background noice. Speech not imortant. I love kiss gameplay but lack of backgroundnoice and one hit sound kills the game for me.
Soo what to look at, at sterns??

Catacomb!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 29.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pure-pinball-love-bally-is-taking-over/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.