(Topic ID: 168164)

Pure pinball love (Bally is taking over)

By DEN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D29770B5-90DC-47E3-8DCE-D770C923EA40 (resized).jpeg
AAD61052-8E6B-4253-9F30-E8326EF0B529 (resized).jpeg
20170424_161823 (resized).jpg
20170423_204507 (resized).jpg
853f1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170401_174511578 (resized).jpg
IMG_9997 (resized).JPG
IMG_9996 (resized).JPG
IMG_9995 (resized).JPG
IMG_9994 (resized).JPG
IMG_9993 (resized).JPG
IMG_9992 (resized).JPG
IMG_9991 (resized).JPG
IMG_9990 (resized).JPG
IMG_9989 (resized).JPG
IMG_9988 (resized).JPG

There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 7 years ago

Ususlly, most new pinguys, start owning C or B titels and build there way up to A or A+++ titels. More expensive pins and so on. Thats my experience.

Was buying an arcade machine, a pinbot was standing in the background, got it offerd for crazy low price and bought it.

I absolutely fell in love with pinball. Pure love. In no time i was building up a collection. Had alot of dmd games and enjoyed them all.

Until i got hit by bally classics. OMG!!!!!
From 1980 to 82. Bally made crazy pins. I mean gameplay artwork and sounds are perfect.

My indy gold, totan and white water are gone and replaced by embryon, fathom and now newley added Eight Ball Deluxe.

My plan is to sell my dmd collection and only build up classics.

My emb and ebd got super nice clearcoated playfield, love to play em

Anyone got the Ballyfever like me??

Next one comming up for sale is CV game is like new, but it will be replaced by frontier or viking. Hope to find one in nice condition.

Please enjoy my pics from last night. I had a blast with my new EBD.

Pure pinlove.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

Big fan of the classic Bally's myself. Mata Hari, Night Rider, 6M$M, Silverball Mania, Eight Ball, Evel Knievel, Strikes and Spares...just too many to list. I'm hoping one day to have a row of the classic Bally's lined up in a game room.

#3 7 years ago

That Fathom looks beautiful.

#4 7 years ago

Yes, I have the Bally bug as well. I recently purchased a Viking, EBD, Mata Hari and Medusa. I have held on to DMD's just to mix it up every now and then. I know what you mean.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

"Hi, my name's TigerLaw"...

*sits down*

#6 7 years ago

Nice with fellow bally lovers

Yes fathom is nice, came with fabric mylar, but its not clearcoated, i just love to play em all clean clearcoated new plastic new rubber new posts. In prestine condition.

#7 7 years ago

Hi Bugsy, i know what you mean, i was i love with my bally kiss, played it alot, also my paragone, until i tryed my frinds embryon. Omg sounds are SO important for me.
For me, pin HAS to have background music/sound. Also more then one or two hitting sound.
Remember playing kiss, when ball got crazy and hit many different targets the sound was wiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwi,wiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwwi,wiwieiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwi and the ball drained wiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwi,wiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwiwwwwiiiiiiii nooo i turned off the pin

I play with all ost max volume when i play.

Layout and artwork is perfect but cant deal with sound of elder bally.

Hope someday somebody builds and upgrade for the bally pins between 1976 to 1978/9

#8 7 years ago

Kiss and paragon are long gone.

Oh man, paragon got NICE artwork and gameplay.

For me visual is40% feeling/vibrations10% and sounds50%

We are all different.

(Only dmd game that never will be sold is highspeed2, got crazy speakers, love that pin, sounds and music is great)

#9 7 years ago

Please write to me if you have viking or frontier for sale.

#10 7 years ago

I hear you DEN.

A nice Harlem, Paragon or Night Rider are on my short list of wanted Bally's to go with these two.

IMG_3578 (resized).JPGIMG_3578 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

As far as sounds on those 1978 pins, that was right when they moved over from chimes to electronic sound. So even though the sounds are minimal and rather crude by today's standards, I really appreciate the technology change and how it revolutionized pinball. Like Gorgar (Williams game, I know) and how it was the first "talking" game. You look back on it and some will say "oh god it's terrible, he only says like 5 words" but that was a huge shift and historical aspect in the industry.

So even though Kiss, Playboy, Supersonic, Night Rider were all minimalistic in sound, it's still such a great piece of history, which I can totally get down with.

#12 7 years ago

Speech is a bonus but NOT important at all. Sure its nice on ebd fathom embryon especially on centaur but still not a must. All i ment was, game like kiss the one sound only and no background noice just kills it for me. Sorry to say, because gameplay layout is awesome on it.

#13 7 years ago

Chalkyp8 OMG nice ballys there, seems to bee in nice condition too. Waouwwww.

#14 7 years ago

Anyone got pics of other versions of EBD?

#15 7 years ago

No worries, everyone has their own taste. Just expressing my opinion on the older classics. Fathom is amazing though, the voice is so good.

#16 7 years ago

Aaaahhhhh yessss, mermaids trapped, dive again

#17 7 years ago

Oh yeah, love these Bally's. I've had quite a few and wish I had room for a few keepers (and some Gottlieb System 80's too). The fam is just all 90's b/w, all the time.

#18 7 years ago

Pinside has several of us with this illness. There doesn't seem to be a cure and the only effective treatment seems to be adding another one a few times a year.

IMG_20160810_185125964 (resized).jpgIMG_20160810_185125964 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

Omg what a line up.
Doo you use led's??
That medusa looks eival

Hmmmm iam also considerring xenon. One of the most beutifull pins ever

#20 7 years ago

Early Bally SS are such beautiful machines, with great character. Play-wise they have a such a solid feel to them, they feel like tanks but responsive. Everyone should own one at least once, even if only temporary.

#21 7 years ago

I have the classic Bally fever.....had it over over a year now. Have Paragon and FG....EBD is around the corner. These threads really got me excited about this classic era.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-like-paragon-you-will-love
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-top-5-early-ss-77-84-bally-games-are

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Omg what a line up.
Doo you use led's??
That medusa looks eival
Hmmmm iam also considerring xenon. One of the most beutifull pins ever

The Fathom has some cheap LED's in it that it came with that I have not changed out yet. I typically put comet optimus max warm white bulbs in for GI and leave everything else incandescent.

Xenon is great, looks awesome, fun to play, short ball times, simple but challenging!!

#23 7 years ago

There's something to love about this generation of solid state games. For me, it's seeing what the hardware and software engineers were able to do with such little (relatively speaking) technology.

Like old video games from the NES, designers had to rely on game design and gameplay to capture the players attention and convey story, rather than flashy graphics and sound.

I think Bally delivered that in spades. They always had such creative layouts and even more creative game rules that have surprising depth, even by today's standards.

#24 7 years ago

I just got my second Bally, trading out my Medusa for an Embryon. All my other pins are 90s B/W and Medusa was my first classic. I didn't have room for an additional pin. I'm really happy with the trade - Embryon's got a great, unique playfield layout, and a freaky theme.
Is there any way of making the inserts brighter? I tried a few LEDs but they just flickered horribly. I guess cleaning the underside of the inserts would help...but what do you guys do?

#25 7 years ago

1980-1982 Bally games are the epitome pinball in my mind. Never has there been a better combination of creative layouts, great artwork and sounds, inventive rules, and fun than this era! Bally truly captured lightning in a bottle and we are fortunate to have so many great games from this time period.

#26 7 years ago

I don't feel they have "taken over" but I do have some and I have owned quite a lot of them. They are just so easy to work on and to bulletproof. I think the -17/-35 represents the first solid state pinball system that still holds up today. It's design is simple and elegant.

Currently:
Elektra
Harlem
Mr/Ms Pac-man
EBD
Fathom
Lost World (no boards)

No longer:
Eight Ball (5 of them)
Silverball Mania
Strikes and Spares
Xenon
Centaur

They will always be classic playing games to me.

#27 7 years ago

I love the old Bally machines. Art is top notch. Fairly easy to work on. Fireball II is the "newest" one I own. Still looking for more,especially a Rolling Stones or Frontier. Don't see many at all for sale.

#28 7 years ago

Most pinheads in Brazil get the same "disease", but people here dig Taito machines, which were all copy-cats from Bally, manufactured here!

#29 7 years ago

I've seen some Taito copies of some William's games too. It amazes me how they ever got away with that! Taito's Drakor art is literally a carbon copy of William's.

Same goes for their game "Sure Shot" being a carbon copy of EBD.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I've seen some Taito copies of some William's games too. It amazes me how they ever got away with that! Taito's Drakor art is literally a carbon copy of William's.
Same goes for their game "Sure Shot" being a carbon copy of EBD.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=taito&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

All were copies... just one (Mr. Black) is an original game!

#31 7 years ago

Can't agree more with you and have gotten rid of all my DMDs. I have Bally Xenon, Elektra, EBD, Paragon and waiting for another Space Invaders and have the 2 best Bally Ems ever made, Wizard and Capt Fantastic.

#32 7 years ago

Half my collection are those 80/81 Ballys. At some point I might sell them, but I think Flash Gordon is staying even if I lose the bug for Ballys in general.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

I hear you DEN.
A nice Harlem, Paragon or Night Rider are on my short list of wanted Bally's to go with these two.

Or....like you said in some of the other posts.......I vote for Xenon!! Xenon right there with those two would be AWESOME!

I just got started, and already I am all in for Bally....
SnS MC BV 3 (resized).jpgSnS MC BV 3 (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Or....like you said in some of the other posts.......I vote for Xenon!! Xenon right there with those two would be AWESOME!
I just got started, and already I am all in for Bally....

My vote goes to Xenon too!

#37 7 years ago

Bally was the best in the early SS era.

#38 7 years ago

Ballys rule. I have a really nice Xenon and just made a trade for a Flash Gordon that comes with a CPR playfield. Also have a players Centaur 2 and waiting for that CPR playfield to show up in the mail any day now. Would love to get a Vector or Elektra.
It's true, these era Ballys have got something special.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#39 7 years ago

Unfortunately, several games of this era are hard to find or really overpriced these days versus 'bang for buck' dmds. Nonetheless, some of the best pinball out there in terms of art and feel. Can think of about a dozen Bally SS from this era I would take over almost any DMD.

#40 7 years ago

Well for me Bally took over 21 years ago when I had a Xenon, Centaur and a Space Invaders within a year.

Quoted from shimoda:

several games of this era are hard to find or really overpriced

And then sold the Centaur again for the equivalent of $300.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Ususlly, most new pinguys, start owning C or B titels and build there way up to A or A+++ titels. More expensive pins and so on. Thats my experience.
Was buying an arcade machine, a pinbot was standing in the background, got it offerd for crazy low price and bought it.
I absolutely fell in love with pinball. Pure love. In no time i was building up a collection. Had alot of dmd games and enjoyed them all.
Until i got hit by bally classics. OMG!!!!!
From 1980 to 82. Bally made crazy pins. I mean gameplay artwork and sounds are perfect.
My indy gold, totan and white water are gone and replaced by embryon, fathom and now newley added Eight Ball Deluxe.
My plan is to sell my dmd collection and only build up classics.
My emb and ebd got super nice clearcoated playfield, love to play em
Next one comming up for sale is CV game is like new, but it will be replaced by frontier or viking. Hope to find one in nice condition.
Please enjoy my pics from last night. I had a blast with my new EBD.
Pure pinlove.

Just remember that hole on the coindoor is only used for getting your change back out.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Half my collection are those 80/81 Ballys. At some point I might sell them, but I think Flash Gordon is staying even if I lose the bug for Ballys in general.

I never had to chance to see and play such old machines.
I think I understand your tasted for DMD and I am similar.
How do you explain the experience with those Ballys compared to the best (TS, Tron..) DMDs?

#43 7 years ago

Had a Medusa.

Still have my Elektra

And added a Skateball

20160621_203603 (resized).jpg20160621_203603 (resized).jpg
20160906_164529 (resized).jpg20160906_164529 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1457062008747 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1457062008747 (resized).jpg

I'd love to add EBD and Centaur.

#44 7 years ago

Skateball is still a sleeper...
Look at the playfield, its just packed.
Yess these old ballyes are up in price but still this titel is available for cheap price.
Just telling you guys its a sleeper.
In europe games like embryon and fathom has skyrocketed

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Yess these old ballyes are up in price but still this titel is available for cheap price.

Fathom is almost impossible to get here now, and when they show up, they are expensive and they sell quick. It will take a lot of patience or a stroke of luck to get one.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Skateball is awesome. Don't know if I'm ever going to let it go. Sounds could be better but, the layout is great! So much to do. Go for big bonus or load up the saucer by dropping the "skate" targets. Just a blast to play and try and get a new high score on.

#47 7 years ago

I almost had a Skateball, but it was in really bad shape and wasn't something I was willing to take on at the time.

#48 7 years ago

That PF layout is awesome!

#49 7 years ago

This was in bad shape too. But I got a good deal so I didn't mind throwing new boards and LED displays at it.

#50 7 years ago

Great post! I got a taste of Bally's early SS games at the Silverball Museum, a huge local pinball spot. Eight Ball Deluxe immediately became one of my favorite games out of their 200 +/- collection, ranging from the oldest to newest pins. I had enjoyed the game many years ago a kid, but hadn't seen or played one in probably close to 20 years! Even though i can go there and play EBD just about any time, I'm determined to add one to my collection. It's *that* good!

I've made a similar discovery lately, that i find myself more and more drawn to pre-DMD games. There are certain DMD titles i will always enjoy very much and want, but most of them cost more than I'll ever be able to justify spending (or be able to afford!)... Especially when i could get 4-5 Classic Bally titles with the same money in some cases.

Which brings me to a suggestion: if you can find any, check out Classic Stern titles from around the same generation (79-82): Meteor, Galaxy, Flight 2000, Big Game, Nine Ball, Seawitch, Star Gazer, the list goes on. They have a very similar circuit board set, and i think they have a similar solid feel as the Bally's of that era. I have a Seawitch in my collection, and it's gotten more play than my other pins ever since. Fast, solid, easy rules but difficult to master--all the things I also enjoy about the classic Bally games. I would love to add a Flash Gordon, Xenon, Fathom, Medusa, and of course Eight Ball Deluxe if i should get the opportunity. Not saying they're better than Classic Bally's by any means, just thought you might enjoy some of them as well!

As another poster said above, i also believe the lack of options forced designers to focus much more on the playfield design. Everything that can be done is available right in front of you. Shoot for the flashing or lit shots! No directions needed from the display, which keeps you watching and interacting with the game constantly. Not too many stop-and-go moments in a lot of those games, as opposed to a fair amount of DMD games. All that said, I've been surprised to discover how much depth many of these games have without so much as an alphanumeric display. The fact that *most* classic Bally's and Stern's can be gotten for under $2k in player's condition makes them an easy choice going forward with my collection.

Again, i love me plenty of DMD games...but I've really come to enjoy the simplicity and difficulty, and ultimately the *feel* of some of the classic Bally's and Stern's.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
There are 298 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pure-pinball-love-bally-is-taking-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.