(Topic ID: 163243)

Purchase regret

By Luppin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 7 years ago

I'm putting more time and money into my Grand Prix than it's worth (and I can't find a spinner for it), I wish I just picked up a fully working one for a few hundred bucks more. It's the most complex EM I've worked on besides my bowler.

#102 7 years ago

Basketcase High Hand that I got for a six pack of beer. Built a new cabinet, now going to have to make new plastics since the originals turned to dust (fortunately I got them scanned)... The backglass was more like a window... Got a new one from a good friend. Playfield faded to almost nothing... Now looking for that.

I should have known when the guy I got it from felt i was overpaying.

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't have many purchase regrets...even games I ended up selling, I more or less enjoyed my time with them.
    But...
    X-Men LE. Thought it was going to be a surefire winner as Borg was coming off a killer streak of games & it was the first Stern in a while with hand drawn art. I was excited at first but it turned into a never ending nightmare...from the horrible launch code, to the toys that broke or didn't function well, to the ear-rape of the terrible voice actors, to the auxiliary board blowing multiple times, to being a guinea pig with code updates that fundamentally broke the game....I consider it the biggest waste of time I've had in the hobby, and wish I had never purchased it.

Ear rape of the terrible voice actors... Im with you there

#104 7 years ago

The voice calls in SMVE take the cake for worst ever imo, they make X-men sound like gold.

#105 7 years ago

I'll take a stab, Swep1 was horrible. I had regrets about DE Batman after it put me to sleep by the 3rd game. Plenty of other games I bought and quickly dumped but no regrets.

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

That's because you haven't played Jive Time. I took a loss on that just to get it out of the house.

Can't be worse than Riviera. Lasted two days in my garage. Absolutely nothing going on with this one.

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

X-files - I learned never to buy a game based on theme alone. Sound and gameplay just did not hold up with the rest of my collection at the time.
    Who Dunnit? - Really wanted to like this one as the Theme, sound & dots are outstanding. After a short time I could tell the stop-and-go gameplay was not for me. Got to the point I never wanted to turn it on.

I too had both of these and they are gone! X-files was worse for me than WhoDunnit!

I liked WhoDunnit but had an ongoing issue blowing a fuse on the driver board no matter how much work I did on those 3 stepper reel motors. The only way I could enjoy it without blowing the fuse was to not leave it on for more than 45 minutes at a time.

#108 7 years ago

Who Dunnit. Like the game but the one I bought had wear, every plastic was broken and took a lot of work to make it right for what I paid.

The irony is, after I traded it away I bought it back! MUCH better deal the second time around tho.

#109 7 years ago

gotllieb Counterforce. Really wanted it, liked playing it. But now that I have it not so much kinda meh on it. Not sure what i'm going to do with it at this moment.

#110 7 years ago

POTC. As a family we loved playing it on vacation one week a year. I bought one and after the first couple days nobody played it. Sold it for what I paid within a month.

#111 7 years ago

Monopoly for me was such a let down. It was the first Lawler pin I bought for a decent price, spent a lot of time shopping it out, and as much as I enjoyed the layout and the ramps, that game has no depth, and it didn't do much with the theme (building Free Parking jackpot collects, make modes worth something) Such wasted potential. Some creative rules and stackability could have made Monopoly a much more exciting game. It lasted less than a month with me.

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

TOTAN - I have owned 3 just to make sure but never could get into it.

I've owned 2 TOTANS. Sold the first one a week after I did a complete restoration on it with NOS playfield. Just boring. The second one was a HEP restoration I bought from a fellow collector. He had it restored, but sold it to me and had it shipped directly from HEP before he ever got it. I kept it in the crate and sold it a month later still in the crate. Pretty bad when a new HEP game changes ownership twice before it's ever uncrated!

That, and Pistol Poker. Zzzzzzzz

#113 7 years ago

Comet: My first game. I actually like the game but the one I bought had a lot of incorrect parts and did not work right.

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

POTC. As a family we loved playing it on vacation one week a year. I bought one and after the first couple days nobody played it. Sold it for what I paid within a month.

That must've been at someplace in Vermont.

#115 7 years ago

TOM. All style, no substance, got to be a snoozefest quickly. Way over rated.

#116 7 years ago

T2. I couldn't stand it after 2 days. I sold in a week. Over 16 years, that is the record for shortest stay in my game room.

#117 7 years ago

I had some regret when I bought my SW:E1, but over time have come to like it.... and still own it.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

TOM. All style, no substance, got to be a snoozefest quickly. Way over rated.

huh? can't agree at all - but each to his own...

I knew Popeye wasn't "great" when I bought it, but found out it wasn't even "good". Couldn't wait to sell it.

#119 7 years ago

TZ. It's been a dozen years but: Losing the ball for no damn good reason on the left hand side. The mini playfield seemed too random. My party guests avoided it like the plague because they couldn't figure out what was happening. The only thing I'm sorry about is selling it for $3000 (I paid $2700). Sorry if I slapped your god.

#120 7 years ago

Sorry Ronn.Too bad you couldn't figure out the best pin ever.And I just don't get the hate for Rudy.It's not like he's alive....OR

#121 7 years ago

I'm with Ronn...but I never bought a TZ, so nothing to regret!

#122 7 years ago

Not a fan of TZ either.... and I have played enough of it over the years to make that decision.

#123 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Judge Dredd. Everyone said it would be great next to Demo Man. I sold it 2 weeks later for a small loss. It wasn't that I didn't like it, I hated it. It's just about the only pinball machine I actually hate.

Interesting... I've been curious about that one ever since my friend said he wanted it. What did you hate about it?

#124 7 years ago

I used to own a JD. Although I didn't hate it like Dave, it didn't stay very long. The main guitar riff, while cool sounding, gets stale really fast cause it's only like eight bars repeating and you hear it every freakin' time you start a game. The game plays kinda clunky. The left outlane area is strange and no amount of nudging will save the ball on that side. With tons of things to shoot at, it's sad that one of the valid strategies to get a good score is to just hit the left ramp continuously. I would certainly play JD a bunch before you decide to buy one or not.

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from Karasch:

Interesting... I've been curious about that one ever since my friend said he wanted it. What did you hate about it?

If you want a difference of opinion, I have owned mine for 22 years.
    It stands the "test of time" for a reason.

#126 7 years ago

Well, i would say SS and CV.
    These pins have no interest for a true player.

#127 7 years ago

I had regrets buying Wipeout, a Gottlieb pin. However, after I softened the settings (major loosen up) it actually became fun. I think because ty he PF is pretty limited for tots and shots. The two main toys are the ski lift and the slalom. With tight settings you hardly activate those toys. Without them being activated the game is basically boring from ball launch to ball drain. Much better with the toys doing their purpose!

#128 7 years ago

I thought I had some regrets on a Diner... just not my style. However, the kids love it... much more than any other pin I've ever brought home... so it's a keeper!

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Oh noes, I'm not a "true player"! How about just saying they don't have interest for you, rather than casting judgement on anyone who enjoys them.

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh noes, I'm not a "true player"! How about just saying they don't have interest for you, rather than casting judgement on anyone who enjoys them.

Forum police! WeeeeeWoo WeeeeWoo.

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Judge Dredd. Everyone said it would be great next to Demo Man. I sold it 2 weeks later for a small loss. It wasn't that I didn't like it, I hated it. It's just about the only pinball machine I actually hate.

I had the jd, got the dm to go with it. Liked the dm alot but jd far superior in my eyes. Although not my fav, it's been in my collection the longest. Dm lasted 6mos.....Just proves once again not everyone likes the same thing.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

The only thing I'm sorry about is selling it for $3000 (I paid $2700).

So you're sorry that you made money on the game?

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

So you're sorry that you made money on the game?

No, I'm sorry I didn't wait a few years and sell it for serious $$$.

#134 7 years ago

Monopoly by FAR.

"I love my choo choo."

GFY

#135 7 years ago

TFTC. Most unsatisfying shots ever.

#136 7 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

#137 7 years ago

TZ. I really tried to like it. Friends said I must persevere to understand it and then the enjoyment would kick in.
    It was just like hard work. No pin should need that much effort to like it. Sold it and never regretted it once.
    I did like Xmen LE and Hulk LE. Hard shots but rewarding.
    SS got boring real fast as did TOTAN.
    Kept ToM for a while but you know it's time to move on a game when you can get to wizard mode almost every game.
    CV has just been moved on for the same reason.

#138 7 years ago

Freddy Nightmare on Elm Street. What could have been one of the coolest pin themes ever instead one of the most boring repetitive games ever. Got to hate it quick and sold it at a loss after a month.
    Kind of wish Stern would take a look at doing a new Freddy pin, maybe w Steve Richie designing it.

#139 7 years ago

I bought a SWE1 NIB in 1999 and sold it at a loss a month later. I also bought an AC/DC Premium and sold it at a loss 2 months later. I just didn't like them as much as I hoped. I have friends that are buying most of the games I'd like to buy but can't afford so I'm hanging out with them (I like them for other reasons as well).

#140 7 years ago

Could not get into it at all. Didnt care for the rules.

1 week later
    #141 7 years ago

turning the topic upside down, almost now i know what pin i still regret to have sold (and should have keep it for always) : TRON LE

#142 7 years ago

Batman Forever. Game looks awesome, and plays fast....but I was not really into the Batman theme, and the strobing....felt like I was having a seizure every time I played it.

#143 7 years ago

I regret buying and selling Waterworld. I bought a nice one but paid $800 for it. It had a problem with he crane that could never be fixed correctly. The game seemed kind of dumb at first so I sold it, after all you have to collect dirt. Now, I wish I had it back just because the game looked cool and it was my first pin.

1 week later
    #144 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

and the strobing....felt like I was having a seizure every time I played it.

Wha? Of all the funky things about Batman Forever, strobing is not something that I actively think about. I'll try to notice next time I play.

#145 7 years ago

Avengers LE. I was bored after the first game.

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

Wha? Of all the funky things about Batman Forever, strobing is not something that I actively think about. I'll try to notice next time I play.

Mostly when I played in dim lighting between modes, or when Multiball was starting. The game had LED's installed before I bought it, so maybe they used extra bright lamps. All I know is it hurt my eyes at times.....but I am getting old. lol

#147 7 years ago

GB pro and CV for me

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Nope. Voices are still terrible, Wolverine is still a horrible "toy". As far as regrets go..I do NOT regret getting rid of it.

i just hated the whole layout, including the oversized too close Wolverine.

#149 7 years ago

i was sure to read GB soon or later...
    but this is just only (is it ?) because the inserts probs

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from RipleYYY:

i was sure to read GB soon or later...
    but this is just only (is it ?) because the inserts probs

I didn't care for it and moved it quick...don't regret the purchase though; learned how to play it.

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/purchase-regret/page/3?hl=rbissett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.