• Neither, save your money for ACNC, BM66, another impulsive CL buy 18 votes
    14%

(126 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

328DE6F7-AC62-40C4-A26B-22BCB5A19BFA (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

I have an opportunity to purchase one of these two this weekend. I have played both titles on location. I really like both. I do not have room for both

My concern is how long they hold their interest, particularly TNA. My current lineup is fairly diverse, so I think either would fit in. I have only played both on location, so curious what the perspective is from owners. Thanks for any additional insight!

#2 4 years ago

I have TNA. I would personally never buy a HSII. So I guess that’s my answer.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

opportunity

Looking over your wishlist:

[x] Whirlwind

-mof

#4 4 years ago

HSII all day for me.

TNA seems like it would get repetitive and boring quick.

#5 4 years ago

I have owned both.

I still own TNA and will never get rid of it. Getaway is great, but it moved on.

TNA is a great multiplayer game and rewards ball control more than most games. I wouldn't want it to be my only game, but like you said, it is the bees kneez in a moderate sized collection IMO.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have TNA. I would personally never buy a HSII. So I guess that’s my answer.

Curious why that is?

Quoted from mof:

[x] Whirlwind
-mof

You are a rules breaker

Quoted from Pinless:

HSII all day for me.
TNA seems like it would get repetitive and boring quick.

Yep that is my concern. Neither are complex or deep games, but HSII seem a little more varied.

Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

I have owned both.
I still own TNA and will never get rid of it. Getaway is great, but it moved on.

Why did you want to let it go and after how long of owning it?

Thanks for the opinions so far. Keep them coming!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

rules breaker

I prefer having more than 2 or 3 choices when making a decision.
-mof

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Why did you want to let it go and after how long of owning it?

The same reason I sell all of them. It was time to move on and had my fill. Its a good game, but the music can be slightly grating. I know some may the same about TNA and YMMV.

I can't say that I wouldn't pick up HSII again someday. It just isn't something I revere like TNA.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Curious why that is?

Just don’t find HSII that interesting. Not enough to play often. TNA is a unique game with a lot of different play possibilities that belie it’s simplicity.

#10 4 years ago

I prefer HS over HS2. Dont really care for the music or the supercharger. Between HS2 amd TNA I'd get TNA.

But if I had more options TNA is probably not my first choice.

I voted neither.

#11 4 years ago

HS over HS2 all day. HS2 would be waaaaay down my list of WPC

Easy TNA pick here

#12 4 years ago

+1.

I always say, "If I were 5 years old, HS2 all the way" -- that supercharger is an amazing *novelty*. But... if you just want to play pinball, it's yet another stop-n-go nightmare invention.

-mof

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

The same reason I sell all of them. It was time to move on and had my fill. Its a good game, but the music can be slightly grating. I know some may the same about TNA and YMMV.
I can't say that I wouldn't pick up HSII again someday. It just isn't something I revere like TNA.

Totally this. All games will go in my collection. If you make it over two years that’s a great run. I have no idea how people keep games for 5 plus yesrs unless they restore them (or have HEP do it). If you play your games enough they will get old and rotating your collection is a fun and eventually cost free perk of this hobby.

#14 4 years ago

I played TNA for the first time a week or two ago. I was a skeptic but... wow! What a cool game. The lights, the sounds, the speed!!! I’m sold on that thing and I am a Bally/Williams homer. HS2 is cool but I agree with the above posters that HS is better gameplay wise.

It’s a tough question though. Because with the $2500 extra you could buy another pin....

#16 4 years ago

Only owned TNA briefly but we really enjoyed the co op mode. That’s one cool feature that makes playing with others more fun.

#17 4 years ago

If you have people over and enjoy multi player games....TNA May be the best game ever. Vs and co modes are a blast.

#18 4 years ago

Echoing the above, TNA. High Speed and High Speed 2 are classic fun games, but a lot like others of their generation. I would own both, but probably not keep them long term. I do that with most pins. Every now and then a special pin comes along and TNA is a rare gem. Co-op mode is perhaps the best simple software innovation I have seen in several years. I would offer this, if you push start on TNA and the music doesn’t pull you in, pass. To me, that’s a huge part of what Scott Danesi had to offer there and it’s fantastic.

Great choices, BTW. Have fun.

#19 4 years ago

I would pass on both and save up more for another game. Between those two games I go HS2 I found TNA a bit boring as I short plunge and back hand lock all day long.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I would pass on both and save up more for another game. Between those two games I go HS2 I found TNA a bit boring as I short plunge and back hand lock all day long.

I was just going to say the same. Short plunge, back hand rinse repeat. I saw this on YouTube and it killed the game for me when I owned it. Tna is incredible straight forward although it's a great game to play in short spurts. Owning is another thing unless you have parties every weekend.

#21 4 years ago

HSII

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#22 4 years ago

A lot of helpful opinions here. I am a little surprised by the HS vs. the HS2 comments. I have always viewed the second as everything great about the first with some nice additions. I haven't owned my HS for very long, but I probably wouldn't have picked it up if I had not been looking for HS2. I do like the supercharger gimmick even as a break in the action. For me it ratchets up the excitement. If the STTNG music hasn't gotten on my nerves yet, I doubt ZZ top will.

Speaking of music, the TNA music and integration in the game is one my favorite aspects. So that isn't a detractor as another poster mentioned. I do understand multi-player is really where TNA stands out. If I pick it up, my son and I will probably play head to head the first couple of weeks solid.

What is on my mind now is which one will be easier to find again locally.

#23 4 years ago

TNA in my fairy large collection of 12-13 pins.

If it was a small collection like 3-4 don’t think I’d recommend TNA as much.

But you already have a fair number of games with multitude of rules so having TNA is a nice change of pace, whenever I play TNA it’s never boring or dull or gets tired.

I’m really into light show and music and sound effects pull you into TNA I have a hard time going back to 25 year old pins but that just me.

#24 4 years ago

I wanted to get BM66 next but played on location didn’t like the shots at all. Maybe it was not set up well but I’ve played BM66 before on location and not once did I feel like it was fun shooting pin.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

A lot of helpful opinions here. I am a little surprised by the HS vs. the HS2 comments. I have always viewed the second as everything great about the first with some nice additions. I haven't owned my HS for very long, but I probably wouldn't have picked it up if I had not been looking for HS2. I do like the supercharger gimmick even as a break in the action. For me it ratchets up the excitement. If the STTNG music hasn't gotten on my nerves yet, I doubt ZZ top will.
Speaking of music, the TNA music and integration in the game is one my favorite aspects. So that isn't a detractor as another poster mentioned. I do understand multi-player is really where TNA stands out. If I pick it up, my son and I will probably play head to head the first couple of weeks solid.
What is on my mind now is which one will be easier to find again locally.

HS2 smokes HS1. You have the same HS guys always chiming in but general opinion (not just HS hardcores) - HS2 takes it easy. Think about why HS1 cost much less than HS2 - would that be the case if market demand for HS was higher? Of course not.

Supercharger is still one of the best toys in history.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Think about why HS1 cost much less than HS2 - would that be the case if market demand for HS was higher? Of course not.

This is quintessential delt31 logic right there; Mind blowing.

#27 4 years ago

pumping that "for sale" ad, law!!!

Quoted from TheLaw:

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I have an opportunity to purchase one of these two this weekend. I have played both titles on location. I really like both. I do not have room for both
My concern is how long they hold their interest, particularly TNA. My current lineup is fairly diverse, so I think either would fit in. I have only played both on location, so curious what the perspective is from owners. Thanks for any additional insight!

In regards to holding interest... I own over 80 games. TNA gets played the most regularly of any game since I got it.

It is hands down a great game in a 1 game collection or 20 game collection.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

[x] Whirlwind
-mof

Make sure you play TNA a lot before buying it, as your concern is correct--it gets old fast. The Getaway is a very fun pin, if it was in very good condition, minimal insert wear, the SC works as it should, no major cab fade and the price was right I'd buy it. I prefer it to HS. However, mof has the best observation, WW is better than either of these two.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Take it to the bank fellas. Money talks. Sell your hs then sell your hs2 and let me know what nets you more money. Thanks for playing ; )

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

pumping that "for sale" ad, law!!!

Are you price policing this ad too ; )

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Make sure you play TNA a lot before buying it, as your concern is correct--it gets old fast.

Some say it gets old fast some say doesn’t.

I agree to play it first of course, but you have all types of people who like one thing or another.

For example some people dislike Stern Potc say it’s chopping wood or it’s rules are repetitive (Maybe) but I’ve owned Potc for 12 years still haven’t beat it and still play it.

Either you like TNA or don’t like TNA.

It’s rules are it’s rules (activate reactor, overheat reactor, destroy reactor- repeat). However it’s fun and you can go for points, speed run (score board) co-op and vs settings are great too. The basic game makes it fun for newbs but it’s so fast that it’s great for people who like this type of gameplay.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Think about why HS1 cost much less than HS2 - would that be the case if market demand for HS was higher? Of course not.

DMD era simply costs more. Even XFiles sells for more than the majority of Sys11, which are all superior to Xfiles.

#34 4 years ago

The supercharger is awesome in HS2. It doesn't break up the action at all. Quite the opposite, it amps things up! Hearing the balls fling around the metal loop at speed while the game counted down the loops never got old and amazing when you got all three in there. I owned one for a while and really enjoyed it. Love the beacon light, too. Problem is that it's not deep and easy to beat. Since you have a larger collection that might not be an issue. If you enjoy playing it, get one while they are still relatively cheap. Prices are going up.

TNA is similar in that it's probably not that great in a small collection. I agree with Rai in that if you don't already love TNA, it might not be a good fit. I like the retro vibe and all but rather have a lot of other games for the money.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Take it to the bank fellas. Money talks. Sell your hs then sell your hs2 and let me know what nets you more money. Thanks for playing ; )

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

DMD era simply costs more. Even XFiles sells for more than the majority of Sys11, which are all superior to Xfiles.

Plus they mad 5k more HS' and etc etc

But money does talk and has already proven magic Girl is the finest pinball of all times!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Plus they mad 5k more HS' and etc etc
But money does talk and has already proven magic Girl is the finest pinball of all times!

Supreme.
328DE6F7-AC62-40C4-A26B-22BCB5A19BFA (resized).jpeg328DE6F7-AC62-40C4-A26B-22BCB5A19BFA (resized).jpeg

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are you price policing this ad too ; )

somebody needs to keep you lunatics in check!

#38 4 years ago

TNA is the best game ever made!

#39 4 years ago

Go tna since you got a hs.

Both are great, especially since you got a good variety of games.

I personally wouldn't get a hs2 since I have played it a ton on location.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

TNA is the best game ever made!

According to your personal rankings it is slightly behind STTNG

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

According to your personal rankings it is slightly behind STTNG

And I have STTNG for sale right now haha

Might need to adjust my rankings.

#42 4 years ago

I appreciate all of the opinions. I ultimately went with TNA. The seller even offered a healthy discount on both and I was having bad thoughts of how I could make that work. The decision was helped along by another buyer coming in at the last minute and making a better offer on HS2. I was leaning TNA anyway, but damn the HS2 was in nice condition.

2 months later
#43 4 years ago

So... has it gotten old yet?

Love me some TNA!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jamestown, NC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/purchase-decision-hsii-or-tna?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.