Topic poll

“Would pulp fiction be a good pin theme?”

• Yes 183 votes
    75%
  • No 52 votes
    21%
  • Other 8 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 243 votes by 240 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

412418-i (resized).jpg
EA22D48C-6FF6-4368-9ECF-A59E606E7F20.jpeg
1EE63FF7-45FE-4944-A76D-92A8EDF4273D (resized).jpeg
2JfP.gif
39DB0418-C1D0-47EA-97E4-CD35848B2EFC.gif
1CF11BBD-D280-4F2D-8A90-464CE82C848A (resized).jpeg
giphy-downsized-large.gif
FCC7BAC2-D6F7-4F85-ACE7-3ECFFD165736 (resized).png
pulp fiction (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
tumblr_n6v8sp1oqN1sym9ako1_500.gif
devolution.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
tumblr_n67jimNAMB1qi6ht9o1_500.jpg
image.jpg
bash-toy.jpg
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 9 years ago

I love this theme, and really hope DP listens to the masses. Going back to your original question "would this make a good pinball theme" I would say yes, only if DP makes it. Nothing against any of the other companies out there, but I think only DP would do the licence justice.

#102 9 years ago

My wife says she would throw down pre-pay money on a Kill Bill pin.

For the record, my name is not Bill.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The Hunger Games

uhmm...

Quoted from o-din:

If it is something my kid would want, I probably would.

"probably"?

You don't sound so passionate about your example, unlike those you are debating right now about their's.

Quoted from o-din:

Nope. Last one was METLE, and it was gone after a few months. That was what started me thinking about the direction this industry is going. I was a metalhead back in the 80s and saw Metallica a few times, but that was a very long time ago. I don't need to relive it now.

Metallica is something that you outgrow, because these kinds of bands were dependent on teen angst to succeed.

Whereas Pulp Fiction won the 2 most prestigious awards in cinema, the Oscar for best screenplay and the Palme d'Or (the most high brow award in the world). It has proven itself among adults, not just angtsy teens.

tumblr_n67jimNAMB1qi6ht9o1_500.jpgtumblr_n67jimNAMB1qi6ht9o1_500.jpg
hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg

#104 9 years ago

When I saw Harvey Keitel as Winston Wolf, I knew that's what I wanted to be when I grew up.

"I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems."

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Congratulations, you just wrote the most wrong thing ever.

The young are not the main demographic that buys pinball machines. They don't even play them in the arcades as much as the video ones.

The adults are the main demo.

No please, no more comic bookish themes, not after what Stern did by releasing comic book super heroes one after the other.

My reasoning to why it isn't a cult classic is because it was widely acclaimed if I remember correctly. It won one Oscar and was nominated for six more and about the same for Golden Globes. Cult classics are usually commercial bombs and then a small, but dedicated following occurs because the movie ends up actually being good. I'm not saying Pulp Fiction was not good, it was.

I understand pinball buyers are usually older, but being on this forum I've learned that isn't entirely true. I'm in my early 30's and have young family. I can sneak past some adultish themes like TBL, but never something like Pulp Fiction. I'd like to see more pins in the wild.

Kill Bill is comic book not in a Marvel or DC comic type of way. I'm with you, I'm not a fan of let's just do another super hero pin. My point is comic books or animae are ways to veil the violence and gore. The samurai theme would also play well.

#106 9 years ago

You don't sound so passionate about your example, unlike those you are debating right now about their's.

I don't debate, you silly Canadian. I speak my mind and if someone don't like it, I really don't give a shit.

#107 9 years ago

The pinball industry is dying and there's nothing we can do to change that. You're able to sense it enough that something as healthy as supply and demand gets you paranoid.
Almost all the things that can be done with this gaming platform has been done, the designers are limited to what can fit inside a box at a reasonable price. The only option the executives have is to use a theme that stood the test of time in order to help the machine advertise itself to the main demographic.
Most never cared about Heighway as a company until Alien. Do you think that company would have been better served by not doing that old movie? Likewise for DP and The Big Lebowski. Those classic themes put these companies on the map, and that's what this industry needs to continue surviving. The more companies we have to compete for the hearts and minds, the better.

The thing about Alien is there was another movie in the series that came out in the last few years. The theme really connects well across generations. Hence all the Alien vs Predator video games.

TBL was genius. It is a cult classic and the cult is younger folks. When I say younger I mean 40 and under. I still consider myself young being born in 1980. Not to say older people don't appreciate The Big Lebowski movie. There is so much you can do with that them and remember; it is bowling themed. I bet DP sells a lot of these to bowling alleys, which helps get more new pins into the wild.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I'm personally not a fan of Twilight Zone, but that series originally ran from 1959-1964, (then remade from 1985-1989.) So, 33 years after the initial TV premier and after the series cancellation, the highest ranked pinball machine based on a "non current" theme was produced.

Only because it turned out to be a great pin is why people want it. If the original TZ was not made and someone tried to make one now there would be crickets.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Only because it turned out to be a great pin is why people want it. If the original TZ was not made and someone tried to make one now there would be crickets.

My point was that an old theme does not necessarily mean it will be a bad game.

I don't think people were clamoring for Twilight Zone before it was produced. If asked back then, I'd bet people would not have wanted it anymore than the PF naysayers today.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Kill Bill is comic book not in a Marvel or DC comic type of way. I'm with you, I'm not a fan of let's just do another super hero pin. My point is comic books or animae are ways to veil the violence and gore. The samurai theme would also play well.

I love me some Tarantino (Pulp, Reservoir Dogs, etc), but I really didn't get into Kill Bill at all. I love Uma too, but these movies just sucked to me. That said, I would LOVE a Pulp game.

Quoted from RyanStl:

The thing about Alien is there was another movie in the series that came out in the last few years. The theme really connects well across generations. Hence all the Alien vs Predator video games.

This is off point, but Alien is a great theme for multiple reasons. First, it was a great movie franchise. Additionally, the theme is not as old as the original movie; there is a current Alien video game out now that is supposed to be sick! That said, even if you strip away the "Alien" movie theme, aliens are cool and this is a cool topic for a game.

#111 9 years ago

Metallica is something that you outgrow, because these kinds of bands were dependent on teen angst to succeed.

Hey, it's not my fault they went and released the black album.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't debate

Keep lying to yourself.

#113 9 years ago

#114 9 years ago

Jersey Jack's The Wizard of Oz... yep! people don't like "old" themes in pinball...

#115 9 years ago

#116 9 years ago

Dutch Pinball Game # 1

Dutch Pinball Game # 2

..... may they both be classy Masterpieces~
LOL

#117 9 years ago
#118 9 years ago

haha. It really takes a licensed theme as strong as Pulp Fiction to win me over when it comes to licensed themes. Also it just seems like Dutch Pinball just cares more. With Stern their licensed games come off more like generic memorabilia to me than great pinball most of the time, which is kinda lame, even if they are fun. If Stern were making The Big Lewbowski I wouldn't be very excited.

Two of my grails have always been Twilight Zone and Monster Bash. Both of them being strong licensed properties.

#119 9 years ago

I do see where there are different perspectives in this matter. Lets see, you stated that you are 31.

I was 31 in 1993 when pinball was resurging in a big way. But we didn't pick and choose what we were going to get and there was no internet. Games just showed up with whatever theme and some were great players and some weren't despite the theme. That was part of the magic. Something new every week.
Movies like Pulp Fiction and The Big Lebowski were part of that magical time even if not in a machine. For me, I lived it, and now it's the past. It's history. For someone that didn't live it like I did, I can understand the need. But for pinball to ever become like it was then, it has to be spontaneous. Which it will probably never be again. Glad I was there!

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But for pinball to ever become like it was then, it has to be spontaneous. Which it will probably never be again. Glad I was there!

Sounds like an older person being nostalgic for the way things used to be.

Perhaps pinball has evolved. But for sure, perspectives have changed.

#121 9 years ago

I might be older, but not old. I am always looking forward as well as back but mostly living in the now. I would like to see pinball evolve, not devolve.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I might be older, but not old. I am always looking forward as well as back but mostly living in the now. I would like to see pinball evolve, not devolve.

Pinball is not devolving, if that were the case we would be back to ems. Just because themes consist of old movies or old bands doesnt mean the machines themselves are going backward. The thing is theme is really not as big a part of the equation as you would think unless they get it wrong. If the game is fun it doesn't matter what the theme is. The Shadow is not a great movie by any means and making a theme around the movie would make you think the game would suck but it doesn't, its a great game. Pinball manufacturers need to build games for the people that buy them not the kids with no money. Pinball is gonna get passed to the next generation by the parents that play them now since the arcade is essentially dead (there may be bars and a couple arcades here and there but not enough to keep pinball alive)

Kids don't really even leave the house anymore so the exposure they will get is from apps on phones and their parents pin collection.

If you wanna see a game flop make a theme that's just for kids, whatever they happen to be into now. Games sell on nostagia and the people with the money to buy are the guys/gals that love themes from when they were younger. Not many parents are gonna spend 8k on a pin for their kids. This is just my opinion.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So buy TWD.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Pinball is not devolving, if that were the case we would be back to ems. Just because themes consist of old movies or old bands doesnt mean the machines themselves are going backward.

What it really means is the buyers themselves are not evolving. They are going backwards. I know what I like and you guys know what you like. There was a time when I longed for the past and thought nothing new was good. But I outgrew it.

#125 9 years ago

So here is a good comparison, place the walking dead (a current theme) and the big lebowski (older movie theme) side by side, if you looked at them by your standard are you telling me that the big lebowski looks like it's "devolving" in your eyes? Not saying TWD isnt gonna be great but its no different than games from 20 years ago. I guess if theme is the only quality in a pin then your reasoning would be validated.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We are on the same page - I totally agree with you.

The only difference is I believe any theme chosen for production today that is popular enough to sell games in the present is part of the new pinball evolution.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What it really means is the buyers themselves are not evolving. They are going backwards. I know what I like and you guys know what you like. There was a time when I longed for the past and thought nothing new was good. But I outgrew it.

Buyers don't have to evolve, that's silly. To think pinball will only survive by having new themes Is shortsighted and would alienate the buyers that have a love for the older themes. Its hard to sell something that doesn't have a built up following yet.

#128 9 years ago

Gotcha!

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There was a time when I longed for the past and thought nothing new was good. But I outgrew it.

so sell off those old em's and buy twd, the hobbit, and stle, hopefully these themes are modern enough for you. i don't long for the past...i get long with a great playing machine though regardless of theme. bring on tbl.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I would like to see pinball evolve, not devolve.

devolution.jpgdevolution.jpg
#132 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

so sell off those old em's and buy twd, the hobbit, and stle, hopefully these themes are modern enough for you

It's one thing to collect antiques and another to be one. My collection is a good representation of the evolution of pinball over the years I think, because I love pinball and I love to work on them, but there is nothing new to add to it now. Star Trek, Hobbit, and Zombies are not new themes to me. When someone goes out on a limb and gets real creative again, then it will spark my interest.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Star Trek, Hobbit, and Zombies

So you expect pinball to be at a level different than the rest of the current society? These are the hottest movie/TV show themes out and games are being made to them. You are not buying so its crazy to listen your judgments over actual customers.
At the same time TBL, MET etc go back a bit and hit the nostalgia nerve. And guess what there are buyers for both. Pinball is filling those real markets (buyers).
Your asking for a one off and claiming its the one you will buy while the true markets are being served.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

You are not buying so its crazy to listen your judgments over actual customers.

My jugdements are only for myself. But I have a right to voice them.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My jugdements are only for myself. But I have a right to voice them.

Damn good answer! ; )

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Damn good answer! ; )

I thought so!

#137 9 years ago

Two words that should never share the same post: evolve and pinball.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Not anymore. I will conform to the modern way of doing things.

And since I have, I think an Apocalypse Now pinball machine is in order.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Not entirely true. See: P3.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Totally agree. Pinball 2000 was an evolution and that was just crap. Modern pinball in general has that tried and true base to build upon. Pinball is something "retro" at this point and needs to be "refined" in clever new ways for it to stay relevant, but the evolution of Pinball is over with. It's not the prime era anymore for this type of gaming. Face it, the evolution in gaming is happening in video gaming. Just look at your Xbox or ipad/phone or PC and it ain't hard to see. No pinball machine released from here on out will ever be Call of Duty or Angry Birds or Minecraft.

#141 9 years ago

tumblr_n6v8sp1oqN1sym9ako1_500.giftumblr_n6v8sp1oqN1sym9ako1_500.gif

#142 9 years ago

Hmmmm...this thread appears to be F ed up!

Not to be racist but how do you work in the "dead n storage" scene? I think that rules out Pulp Fiction from the get go?

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not to be racist but how do you work in the "dead n storage" scene? I think that rules out Pulp Fiction from the get go?

You just man up and do it.

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not to be racist but how do you work in the "dead n storage" scene?

duh!

you work it in by making it an LE version of the game...

#145 9 years ago

What about the 5$ milkshake bonus

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Demomstr:

What about the 5$ milkshake bonus

As I recall, not sure it's worth no five dollars.

(but it's pretty fucking good.)

#147 9 years ago

Match sequence:

"And you will know my name is The Lord!....when I lay my vengeance upon thee!"

(Animation of Jules and Vincent gunning down a terrified Brett as screen gets clouded from gun smoke. Smoke gradually clears to reveal match number.)

*If you match the number, Jules says:

"Do you know what divine intervention is? God came down from heaven, and stopped these motherf***ing bullets!"

5 months later
#148 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pre-order is part of the problem.

I'm changing my tune on this. This movie's timeless.

YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT PRE-ORDER?!

#149 9 years ago

There are better choices. Even just among Tarantino films.

I'd think the Kill Bill films would be better for pinball (though I agree in as much as Pulp Fiction is a great film).

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

There are better choices.

North by Northwest maybe?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

8,399 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Romeoville, IL
Trade
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

7,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pulp-fiction-pin/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.