IMG_2915 (resized).jpg
IMG_1608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1594 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3525 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3519 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2161 NO TOPPERS FOR SE OWNERS Posted by ifpapinball (1 year ago)

Post #3174 Cabinet size comparison to Sterm Posted by NeilMcRae (1 year ago)

Post #3205 Topper Height Posted by docquest (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#933 1 year ago

Low-res capture from promo.
Maybe you can decipher at least some of it. Maybe not.

Pulp.rules.card (resized).jpgPulp.rules.card (resized).jpg
#938 1 year ago

ETA?

If CGC has struggled to ship CCr LE's, when would Pulp Fiction actually land on the line? Like, can they put Pulp on the line *before* they finish all the CCr LE's? That would be shabby. So, where are they with the task of completing the CCr LE run?

In short, if one orders a Pulp today, when would could one realistically expect the game to ship?

#943 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

I would say that last pinball covention I visited, a majority of the crowd did not appear concerned with getting laid, lol.

Ha! Tell it like it is, Ganda!

#1185 1 year ago

Cabinet Dimensions:

Does this game use a standard Bally/Williams-spec cabinet, or is it slightly shallower, front to back?

Also, how easy is it to remove the head for transport purposes?

#1192 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Assuming is the same 80s Bally cabinet, you don’t need to remove the head. Just lay it down and strap it to the game.

Thanks. I ask because TNA has a shallower cabinet, top to bottom. I thought a single-level game like Pulp might be the same.

#1541 1 year ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

…actual academy award winning themed games competing against each other!
It’s like Ali vs Tyson, but with pins!
What a time to be alive!

Sort of.
Forest Gump won the Best Picture Oscar that year, not Pulp Fiction. Pulp won for Best Original Screenplay.

#2124 1 year ago

Has there been ANY news at all about a gameplay stream?

I don't know that I've ever seen an official stream from CGC. Like, has Jack ever done a gameplay reveal stream for a CGC pin?
CGC is notorious for taking its sweet time - and for doing so with no communication to their customers. Perhaps they see no reason to stream. They can sell units with just the Flip-N-Out featurette and wait until late in the year when the game is close to production before making any real effort to stream it. The game looks great, but I would really love to *hear* it. David Thiel is a great talent for sure. His sound package on IM is one of my favorites. He says in the featurette that he composed original music for the game. I would like to hear it. I would also like to hear his sound effects and his use of the 250+ bits of movie dialogue, etc. It's great that CGC posted quite a nice/thorough ruleset PDF. That's something I've never seen from Stern or JJP. Good job!

#2129 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, they said they want to do one, but probably not until after TPF.

Thanks. That's helpful. Something to look forward to!

Quoted from Aurich:

Keep in mind, this isn't a CGC game. They're manufacturing it, and did the topper, but that's it.

Oh. Right. Sorry. Game Mechanix and Raw Thrills are in charge. Mustn't forget!

#2296 1 year ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

In fact, name me an actor between 1977 and 1995 that was bigger or cooler than Travolta was in the late 70’s?

I'd say you're overselling Travolta. I think his Welcome Back Kotter character Babarino is telling - a handsome, wanna-be lothario who was also a moron. Travolta had hits in SNF, Grease, and Urban Cowboy, but was he as cool as, say, Connery? I don't think so. If you pay attention to how Tony behaves in SNF, he's talented, sure, but lacks confidence, and he's self-absorbed. (He has a tantrum after his dad musses his hair at the dinner table!) The fact that he danced well enough to sell his portrayal of Tony Monero didn't make him particularly cool. And Danny Zuko? Cool? Not really. More of a knucklehead. Tarantino single-handedly resurrected Travolta's career. I assume he cast him in PF because Travolta was cheap then, and because Tarantino remembered Travolta as a dancing icon from the movies of the 70's and thought it would be a casting coup to bring in Travolta as Vega and make him dance! I would say stars like Burt Reynolds, Steve McQueen, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Brando, and of course Connery were all "cooler" than Travolta back then.

#3007 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:If crowds and lines are anything to go by, it was the pin of the day for sure.

I don't mean to be less than supportive, but festival goers I spoke to said the lines were long because they weren't moving. They weren't moving because ball times are very long on PF.

#3226 1 year ago

Contrarian Impressions:

I was just wondering if there are any other visitors to this thread whose enthusiasm for PF was actually diminished in response to the gameplay clips from TPF.

Yeah, it looked cool, but...

1. LONG ball times
2. Limited shots
3. No magnet action
4. Uncharacteristically bad (for David Thiel) sound effects
5. Repetitive gameplay (every festival goer who played the game seemed to start Briefcase Boogie MB)
6. Ugly/unimaginative use of RGB insert and GI lighting (All green? Yuck!)
7. Too many callouts from too many sources
8. Repetitive/limited music tracks
9. A good looking topper that is still, well, dull
10. A peculiar absence of Butch (did Willis and QT have a falling out?)
11. No real skill shots
12. Art that is "hand drawn" but still not exceptional

Is it fair to nitpick? Perhaps not, but we don't all have to be on the hype train.

I like the movie a lot, and I like CGC's commitment to quality a lot, and I was super jazzed to learn more about this game, but I'm much less excited about it now, after TPF, than I was before it. Of course playing it is the only way to make a fair judgement, but these are my *impressions*. Nothing more and nothing less. Am I the only one?

4 months later
#4501 8 months ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:Just 2 months months until production begins, right?

So you're telling me the ETA has been pushed from Q3 to Q4? I was expecting the operator versions to begin shipping in August.

1 month later
#4701 7 months ago

Freight Cost Question:

MSRP for PF does NOT include shipping, regardless of distro? Is that the CGC policy, or does it vary from distro to distro?
Is there anyone here who bought PF for MSRP with freight included? Is the free freight a Stern thing and really NOT a JJP thing or a CGC thing?
Just curious.
Thanks.

#4712 7 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Shipping on my CCRLE was $495.00
What PF will be who knows!

That’s very helpful. Thanks.
May I ask from what distro?

2 months later
#5282 4 months ago

There was a Pulp SE on free play at Little of Shop of Games' special event this past Thursday in Florida.

Does that signal a production development? I mean, how do they have a Pulp SE unless CGC shipped them one of the first games off the line? Or did they borrow one of the few "show circuit" games? Could SE's finally be shipping?

#5285 4 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s likely one of the early ones. SEs have not started shipping yet.

Drat.
It seemed like a long-overdue, positive swing.
I'm bummed.

#5287 4 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My guess is late Q1 before we start seeing games.

Oh, no! Late Q1?! Horrible!

1 month later
#5891 81 days ago

Can we get a round of cheers/support for Lloyd? I'm talking about his work as a CGC tech and how he is expecting a Pulp Fiction SE to prepare for that work. If you know Lloyd, you know he does a lot for this hobby and that his business depends on earnings from his pool tables and his pinballs. The sooner he has a SE, the sooner he can (a) begin learning the machine for tech support purposes, and (b) the sooner his business can benefit from a long-awaited, hot pin to bring in customers. If there's any justice, he will be the first in the region to have this game. The man has earned it. So, how about a cheer loud enough to be heard in Chicago? Everybody!

#6088 76 days ago

Jeff Tiolis (sp?), on his podcast with Martin Robbins, talked about how competitors at INDISC approached Pulp Fiction in the Finals of the Open portion of the tournament. Since Karl and his team streamed the Open, I assumed I could see what Jeff was talking about, but I can't find the coverage. I thought I found the 2024 Open Finals on YouTube, but PF wasn't in the bank. Who in this thread has seen competitive gameplay of Pulp Fiction? Jeff said players were timing out modes, one after another.

#6091 76 days ago
Quoted from ArtPylon:

Check out ie pinball on twitch. All the 2024 indisc including plenty of pf is on there.

Gosh. Somehow I missed it. I'll have to try again. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Romeoville, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Frisco, TX
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,399 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pulp-fiction-hype-thread-?tu=Jason_Jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.